Any piano players here? I'm about to start learning and need a good digital piano to practice on

Any piano players here? I'm about to start learning and need a good digital piano to practice on.

I could get an entry level one for around £600, or I could spend more and get a decent intermediate one for £1200-1500. Is the jump in price going to offer a noticable difference to a beginner? Is it worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/1/1b/IMSLP91547-PMLP03129-Hanon_Final.pdf
sourceforge.net/projects/freepiano/
sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX560
youtube.com/watch?v=eqV5iwnknW0
a.co/6NYOewK
youtube.com/watch?v=m8bDsMB37tM
youtube.com/watch?v=ASzEpsIJeb4
amazon.com/Yamaha-Weighted-Digital-Sustain-Amazon-Exclusive/dp/B01LY8OUQW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1499490763&sr=1-1&keywords=Yamaha P71
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=yamaha p115&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
youtube.com/watch?v=TXmY9Oi2DXA
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you can't get a real piano get at least something like a kawai vpc1. It's a controller but I'm sure you'll be able to get sound from it if you try really hard

I got the Kawai cl26 and it's pretty great. If I had more to spend I'd get the cl36

getting an entry level piano is alright. if you can't get a "real"piano (i.e. upright or grand) or if you want MIDI capabilities, get a digital piano not a fucking midi controller.

Here is a link to a nice exercise book. It's like $8 on amazon but if you don't want to buy it here you go.
imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/1/1b/IMSLP91547-PMLP03129-Hanon_Final.pdf

sourceforge.net/projects/freepiano/

If you can't learn to play a decent tune on that don't waste your money buying a real one

>A virtual MIDI keyboard and a piano for Windows.

I would love to get something like the vpc1 but then I'd need to get decent speakers and decent VST software. I think it would cost a bit too much. I do like the idea of having an unlimited amount of instruments through using software on my PC, but I can do that anyway with any other digital piano I guess. My only requirements are it has speakers, sounds decent and allows me to record midi and transfer it to my PC for use in synthesia or other software

I'm going to try out pianos tomorrow, I'll look out for it

Yamaha P45. Probably the best thing for beginners.

I'm 29 and started to learn with pic related a year ago. It's no piano, or digital piano but the keys are semi weighted and feel good enough for me. All other keyboards have felt like shit in comparison. I'm a retard and I learnt how to play most of moonlight sonata (pretty well) from youtube tutorials. You probably aren't interested but thought I'd throw it out there for any beginners lurking. There's not enough keyboard/piano threads on Sup Forums.

>. I do like the idea of having an unlimited amount of instruments through using software on my PC, but I can do that anyway with any other digital piano I guess

>. My only requirements are it has speakers, sounds decent and allows me to record midi and transfer it to my PC for use in synthesia or other software
you don't want a keyboard with built in speakers, as they are generally shit and add bulk to the piano. Just get a keyboard amp from a pawn shop. I am pretty sure all keyboards made in the past 20 years have MIDI capabilities btw. If you want to record your actual playing you are going to need an interface; that is, if you don't want to use a piano VST and you want the sounds that come with your piano.

also get one with hammer weighted keys, and buy a sustain pedal.

I haven't played the piano in several years (thus forgetting all of the shitty video game covers I had memorized), but I had a Casio CDP-100.

It was pretty limited in terms of what it offered, but I could get different sounds by connecting it to my computer with a USB-to-MIDI cable. I used a Mac with Garageband installed, and I installed various "voice" packs to get the different sounds. I'm pretty sure there's Windows-equivalents (FruityLoops or some shit).

Yes I want a digital piano, one with weighted keys and the pedal. I don't really care about recording my live performance, more recording the midi instructions so I can transfer it to my PC and load it into synthesia, or change instruments if I end up getting VST software. I'm not so sure that getting one with speakers adds that much bulk and they can be quite good these days depending on how much you spend

I have seen that and it looks good, but I need something true to the acoustic feel

Why would you waste your time learning to do something manually that you can easily program?

You've never been good at anything physically in your life have you? Just put your life in the recycle bin and shut down what's left.

LMAO triggered button-pusher, go learn something that actually requires skill, like a stringed instrument.

What you're after is GHS Graded Hammer Standard.

Same key weighting as an acoustic piano, but in a digital piano. Yamaha p45 would be a good starting point if you have the budget. Best part is they're like 325 pounds, not 600.

Pianist here.
I've owned a Casio PX-560 for about a year and loved every minute with it.
The key action in particular is so realistic. I haven't found anything quite like it.

I was originally going to get a MIDI controller but it seems that all their build qualities were lacking in some way. At least with a full digital piano you can just walk up and play without fucking around with setup.

10/10 would buy again

P.S. get the OEM stand. they fit together perfectly and give the setup a nice furniture look.

sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX560

I'm pleased with clp-535 and sennheiser hd650, I'm a beginner and took my teachers recommendation (actually she recommended a cheaper clp, but what the heck).

>piano keys are merely pressing buttons

You really must love coming to this site to make yourself feel better. Piano and violin are both the master race.

most if not all digital pianos can be used as a midi controller

Practice S L O W

I noticed a lot of synths are coming out with mini-sized keys and I read online complaints about them. Are they actually a problem? Are they a pain in the ass to play?

same casio guy here.

I picked up a Yamaha Reface CP and it has mini synth keys. The action isn't too bad. I do wish the velocity curve was a bit more linear but overall it's a solid build quality.
I'm seriously considering the Reface CS

youtube.com/watch?v=eqV5iwnknW0

>LMAO triggered button-pusher, go learn something that actually requires skill, like a stringed instrument.
I've been playing cello for about 14 years, Piano is much more difficult at the high end generally, there is a much wider range of sounds, and the counter point is much more advanced.

With a string instrument you're generally using at most 3-4 fingers at once and your opposite hand for the bowing.

With a piano you're using both hands and all of your fingers, and potentially both feet for the pedals.

>tfw this sounds better than my hardware synth
>korg minilogue

I have a reface

I have two actually

>61 keys only

lolno. 88 minimum.

I started earlier this year, I bought a Casio px-160 for ~$500. It's really all you need for a beginner piano. Just make sure it has decent weighted keys and either usb or midi connection depending on what you want to do with it. As a beginner I'm glad I didn't spend more money than that. It was enough that it felt somewhat realistic, but I don't think I'd benefit yet from something super high end. Especially since I wasn't sure if I would stick with it

Roland FP-30, Kawaii ES-100 or 110

Yamaha is good but for the price you can get better

Are you taking lessons or learning on your own?

I'm learning on my own right now. I got the Alfred's beginner piano book for adults which is the most recommended beginner book, it's been good for learning basic chords and learning to read music. Since I'm not looking to be a concert pianist or anything though, just wanted to learn some nice songs, I've done a lot of youtube tutorials and synthesia stuff to learn some decent songs. I feel like I've made a lot of progress in just a few months, but I also played the guitar for almost 10 years so I have good control of my hands already. Lessons would definitely help with form and technique, but with all the internet learning available now I don't think it's totally necessary if you don't have goals of playing super technical stuff. It's a really fun instrument to learn

I use (used rather) them also, part 1&2.
They're imo very good at the fact that you constantly see progress as the pieces are small and more or less progress in difficulty.

Now I finished 24 pieces for children by Kabalevsky, would recomment. Now I'm starting the Clementi 1st Sonatina, good exercise but still can't nail it

>can touchtype
>can sight read tablature
>feel like a retard with sheet music

Am I retarded? Would something like this help me?

it will be useless in a week

Honestly the best way is to just rot memorization

Just keep working at it, hours and hours of review. Do 3-4 hours a day and you'll be decent in a few months.

This one?

a.co/6NYOewK

That's the one, however see if you can find it in a spiral bound form somewhere. I have that paperback one from amazon and it's hard to keep the pages open on a new book when it's sitting on a piano stand

Don't buy an expensive piano as a beginner.
Go for one at around 400-600 quid. Weighted keys are of importance.

I also started recently and bought a Kawai ES-100 for about €550. Would recommend, even comes with a non-flimsy sustain pedal.

I really want the Yamaha DGX660 with all the trimmings :)

If I could afford it though I would get the Casio GP500 and one of those expensive piano VST's (The type that require a hardware dongle). Feel and acoustics of a 100 grand piano.

Nothing better than playing on a genuine upright piano. I would highly recommend getting one, even if old as fuck and getting it tuned over anything digital in that price range.

Depends how you want to use it. Upright pianos definitely feel good, but there's a lot of benefits of a nice digital such as the different piano models, portability, midi connection, and especially the ability to practice silently with headphones

Get a yamaha p115b

88 keys weighted and legit feel nice. Decent built in sounds, usb to use as a midi keyboard, headphone and 1/4" output, and built in metronome and recording capability to listen back to your practising.

I managed a music store for 7 years, that is the best bang for your buck in digital keyboards until you start spending $2k+

That is true, but at lower price the lack of proper "feel" could fuck op up in the future if he decides to invest in something more expensive. If portability is absolutely necessary though, he should go with something that feels as realistic as possible with properly sized keys. This is just my opinion though.

Yamaha NU1
Casio Celviano GP-300/500
Kawai Novus NV10

OM NOM NOM

Cannot afford any of them :)

youtube.com/watch?v=m8bDsMB37tM

Is it pretty hard to find (for a reasonable price)?

P95 is the slightly better P45 which is trash tier. I said 115b for a reason, posting some review of a different model doesn't affect shit

$799 CAD, not sure where you're at but that's like $499US at this point

Unironically, go to reddit. Their piano subreddit has great advice. I don't have an account there but still visit regularly for links in their FAQ, their shopping guide, etc.

If you can afford it, you should get an upright acoustic piano. The real benefits to digital pianos are 1) you can plug it into your computer and get MIDI output and 2) it's 100x more portable. If the first one isn't a real interest (you can just pick up a cheap keyboard and get the same benefit later on) and the second isn't an issue, you'll be better served with an acoustic.

The difference between an average acoustic piano and a good digital piano is very noticeable in action, tactile response, and sound.

Thanks user - that actually sounds extremely low

Hmm just seen there is a dynamics issue with Yamaha's new NU1

youtube.com/watch?v=ASzEpsIJeb4

Not good for such a pricey digital piano.

Like I said, it's the best bang for the buck you can get just starting out. It's worth the premium over the really cheap shit and you don't see a substantial increase in features/quality until you're looking at $2k+.

I know far too much useless shit about qualifying people for instruments. I fucking hate it and wish I knew something useful.

I just bought a yamaha p71 (amazon name for the p45) on amazon warehouse for $280 listed as acceptable condition, and it arrived like new in box. best deal ever

I would like a digital piano with binaural for headphones.

Not him but likewise. I used to sell mattresses.

I have the DGX-660 and love it to death. I think it is the right balance of price and product. Weighted keys, plenty of options, and add on soft, sostenuto and damper pedals (on a bar that bolts right to the piano) make it a complete package for much less than a YDP-143.

DId you make it out? I;m the user you're quoting and now I'm in publishing making a shitload more money but basically doing the same thing. Sales is so hard to escape from, it's easy money but so unfulfilling. I come home and waste my life here and drinking every night while my wife and kid sleep

Not that guy but guitar often requires all ten fingers.

Please try not to bump instrument trolling, it happens in every piano thread.

Depends on what you are playing... But no instrument is ever harder or easier than another because someone will always be setting the bar as high as possible.

>I come home and waste my life here and drink every night while my wife and kid sleep
That's me too. Unfortunately I'm stuck selling furniture now but it's a lot better. Less folks showroom shopping. What's publishing like?

Well cheers bud, here's to retirement eventually

There's always MBA school

>about to start learning

dude get an m-audio midi keyboard for like 100 dollars. get a "nice" one when you can play. also browse craigslist, there are always broke musicians selling keyboards and guitars to pay rent. if your heart is set on a digital iano with weighted keys, i recommend looking at Yamaha products, they are really good and not too expensive. yamaha makes the best cheap keyboards too, imo they are better qc than Casio

>But no instrument is ever harder or easier than another because someone will always be setting the bar as high as possible.
There are physical limitations that invalidate your conjecture.

>The difference between an average acoustic piano and a good digital piano is very noticeable in action, tactile response, and sound.
I've played piano for over 20 years now and I prefer my Kawai CA55 to the upright that I learned on (an average upright).. I'm still saving for that Model B though.

>physical limitations that invalidate your conjecture

look mom i used words with lots of syllables

For almost all instruments, those physical limitations have not yet been reached.

I've also been thinking about getting a keyboard recently. If I've not yet learned anything is it worth the trouble to look for one with semi-weighted keys? I read that to learn classical 61+ keys and at least semi-weighted is necessary; without the weighted keys it becomes more frustrating to learn to play.

not him, but yeah if you want to play music with lots of subtlety weighted keys are better. also usually easier to play dynamically, loudly and quietly and stuff instead of just going full blast face melting ELP solos

>I'm about to start learning
>entry level one for around £600
Fuck off you toff!
People get rid of real ones on gumtree for free!

Thoughts on this one?
amazon.com/Yamaha-Weighted-Digital-Sustain-Amazon-Exclusive/dp/B01LY8OUQW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1499490763&sr=1-1&keywords=Yamaha P71

I just want something that has somewhat key-weight accuracy and the ability to record my songs in or whatever format so I can transfer to my PC

Get a used one for the same price.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=yamaha p115&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Oops! I meant a P115b

>I've done a lot of youtube tutorials and synthesia stuff to learn some decent songs
That's one of my requirements. How exactly do you use the digital piano with synthesia? Do you record songs as midi on the piano itself and then save it to a usb drive then transfer it to your pc? Or some other way? Can I do it with any digital piano?

any digital piano you get will plug directly into your computer. "buy" something like Ableton Lite for the sounds, and then use Reaper to record.

Thanks user, i'll look into it

If you have the money, go for a Nord Stage 2, but not sure how easy they are to find second hand.

This is neat

youtube.com/watch?v=TXmY9Oi2DXA

>transAcoustic

Buy used digital piano.

Will be cheaper than new keyboard but have better ergonomics.

Don't buy a model more than 10 years old as those generally have very little gradient of key pressure sensitivity and won't stimulate playing an actual piano well.

What's the difference between P115 and P115B?

None. B is for black.

Thanks.

B is for BLACKED

>want to try out instrument
>stop every time on the stage when I think about all the repeating actions I have to do
>never will be able to just play instrument
>have to be biological repetition machine
>never will compose
>have to leech off other people's work

back to foobar.

the fuck are you talking about lad. just play

Don't buy a new one, for fuck's sake. Get a used hammer-action weighted 88 key controller keyboard, it will feel like a real piano. Then get any old used '90s synth module and hook it up, they all worked really hard on their piano sounds. I happen to like the Roland pianos the best, some like Yamaha or Korg, etc.

You can get all this gear together for maybe 300 pounds sterling. You don't want one of those gay fancy digital pianos, the controller keyboard has the same action and will be more versatile and cheaper.

Older M-Audio boards are good and stand up well over time.

t. electronic music fag

I'm convinced all you people telling OP to get a cheap keyboard have no idea what you're talking about. There is no way they have the same key action as a modern £1200 Kawai or Yamaha digital piano.

I take the opposite approach.

Once you know you have the motivation to play anything, don't waste your time with the shitty key action of older keyboards, get a good one like this and be done with it.

It's still actually a pretty cheap instrument and your time should be too valuable to spend with a shitty device.

Get a Kawai CA67
I'm 100% satisfied with this beast.
The keys make me feel as if I am playing the real one.

I think I recall that one being fairly imperfect with its key actuation matching sounds of a real piano.

If you get something like that, I figure you might as well save money and get a 1/4 the price Thomann DP-95 (555 eurobucks for the piano, chair and headphones) or such.

>get a cheap keyboard
They're not "cheap" if you buy them used, and there are countless thousands of last year's or last decade's models out there to choose from.

Believe it or not, gear made 20 years ago was typically sturdier and made to a higher degree of precision than the stuff you'll find today. I have an Alesis and it's excellent, much better than the modern stuff, but sadly that company ceased to exist in its original form more than a decade ago now.

>shitty key action of older keyboards
Hammer action keyboards have not undergone any particular innovation since the early 1980s user.

Do we maybe have some shills on here concerned that they will lose out on a potential big bux sale?

>buying a package deal with a fucking bench and shitty headphones
if OP is retarded you've probably gotten yourself a sale

Can you use digital piano as a midi controller and play around with synthesia?

Some yes, some no.

If you care more about functionality and bang-of-the-buck over looks and brand image, follow and get a Casio PX-560.

I bought a PX-5S when the PX-560 was already out. Even though it's a really great keyboard, I still feel that I should've bought the latter instead because the PX-5S lacks some features that are great as a home piano, like half pedaling, a score stand and a touchscreen interface.

Unless of course you insist on being a traditional pianist who has no use for a stage piano, in which case you might want to consider other pianos instead.