/sqt - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions.

Take at least 10 seconds to Google first.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversing-Buzzer-Beeper-Alarm-24v-Warning-Reverse-Back-For-Iveco-Man-Scania-Daf/271563900827
ebay.com/itm/2A-DC-Boost-Step-up-Adjustable-Converter-Micro-USB-2-24V-to-5v-28v-6v-9v-12v-24v-/262520903830?hash=item3d1f771896:g:j8kAAOSwux5YNYJD
ark.intel.com/products/88193/Intel-Core-i5-6200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz
cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5/i5-2500K.html
anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64
displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/f394215ae
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how can I tell if amdgpu is working? I installed the package but Idk if I did it right

How can I track my reading progress when using mupdf? There seems to be no built-in bookmarking and I can't do anything external either since there doesn't seem to be an option to open a file to a particular page. I don't want to have to look for the page I was on every time I reopen the file. Thoughts?

What would happen if I wired this...

ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversing-Buzzer-Beeper-Alarm-24v-Warning-Reverse-Back-For-Iveco-Man-Scania-Daf/271563900827

Into the 12V of my PSU's molex? Would it catch fire, destroy my PSU and kill me, or would it just be quieter than at 24V?

Probably wont kill it but you could get a ebay converter too
why do you want your pc to constantly beep?

from the last thread
I think my boot ssd is going bad
>Programs/Windows with sometimes just freeze and not respond for several seconds
>Yesterday the mobo didnt see it as a boot device and I manged to fix that and have had the issue since
>SMART/Cyrstal Disk says everything is fine
>Aida freezes while running benchmarks
>have swapped cables and sata ports, nothing has helped
Am I right that its the ssd or am I missing something?
also can I just clone this drive when I replace it?

>why do you want your pc to constantly beep?
I have autism.

Does the lifespan of the HDD has anything to do with the size of the disk? for example 1tb vs 2tb or more

I want to buy an external drive to put all my fucking music on it.

asking again, hoping for some help:
so i found an image ripping program (in python...) but bumped into a problem. to be exact, this part:
# Extract needed info from JSON
image_url = json_dict["image"]
image_file_ext = json_dict["original_format"]
image_height = json_dict["height"]
image_width = json_dict["width"]
# Build image output filenames
if settings.output_long_filenames:
# Grab the filename from the url by throwing away everything before the last forwardslash
image_filename_crop_regex = """.+\/(.+)"""
image_filename_search = re.search(image_filename_crop_regex, image_url, re.IGNORECASE|re.DOTALL)
image_filename = image_filename_search.group(1)
image_output_filename = image_filename+"."+image_file_ext
else:
image_output_filename = submission_id+"."+image_file_ext
image_output_path = os.path.join(output_folder,image_output_filename)
# Load image data
authenticated_image_url = image_url+"?key="+settings.api_key
logging.debug("Loading submission image. Height:"+repr(image_height)+", Width:"+repr(image_width)+", URL: "+repr(authenticated_image_url))
image_data = get(authenticated_image_url)
if not image_data:
return
# Image should always be bigger than this, if it isn't we got a bad file
if len(image_data) < 100:
logging.error("Image data was too small! "+repr(image_data))
continue
# Save image
save_file(image_output_path, image_data, True)

as you can see it creates files with double extensions. but that's fine, nothing that total commander can't take care of. but why the hell does it create a link like "asdf.png.svg" to download but still grabs png instead of svg when the very same url ending in "png.svg" makes my browser grab svg?

solder this in between ebay.com/itm/2A-DC-Boost-Step-up-Adjustable-Converter-Micro-USB-2-24V-to-5v-28v-6v-9v-12v-24v-/262520903830?hash=item3d1f771896:g:j8kAAOSwux5YNYJD

localbitcoins

yes and no. technically the more platters it has, the higher the risk of a failure but in reality it's mostly the manufacturing quality that matters

to be 100% sure that it's SDDs fault, boot from some other drive

I have a front intake fan, a side intake fan, a rear exhaust fan, and a radiator for CPU cooling top mounted. Should the radiator be intake or exhaust?

why doesn't my filter work?
/(pcbg|hpg|spg|ptg|intel|amd|mkg|msi|csg|bst|tpg)/i;boards:g;op:only

Try both see what works for you, you'll probably find in the real world it makes little difference.

I'd personally always run a radiator as an exhaust where possible.

I'm trying to upgrade my Debian kernel manually but it is the first time I do this. How the process go?

As far as I think it goes, I think I should install linux-headers I want then linux-images I want and match the headers and then apt-get dist-upgrade.

Am I right? Am I wrong? Thanks for lending me a hand anons.

Please can someone explain this to me? This shit is confusing as fuck.

why does my android 5.1 encrypted boot take so much longer than my computer's encrypted boot? it's like a second vs a minute difference? don't phones have SSDs too? it should be much faster than my computer's HDD. why isn't it?

Intake, will keep your CPU cooler and positive pressure is good

Test the ssd on another computer to eliminate all the variables, but you need to reinstall windows on the new pc.

You can clone it only if you are booting in the same hardware, booting a cloned windows on a different hardware can lead to bugs and driver incompatibility.

Flash storage =/= SSD. Phone is much slower.

turns out I was browsing the native catalog instead of the 4chanx one

Sup Forums please help the OP in this thread is a faggot

Add that to the fact the crypto calculations are probably much harder on the phone not only because it's less powerful but the PC probably has dedicated hardware for doing it.

"i" key on my laptop sometimes doesn't get pressed and sometimes it types twice.
I haven't spilled anything on it or anything like that, it just stopped functioning properly.
I was about to pop it with pen but I feel afraid it will break as it didn't pop easily.
How can I safely fix it?

Any distro with good font rendering?

wrong.
Higher end phones have fast storage, faster than HDDs. Midrange phones are still usually as fast as a HDD. random read is better on phone nand than on HDDs too.

It depend a lot on what phone you have. Phones boot slow in general.

Also, when comparing encrypted vs. unencrypted the raw read speed of the drive matters less than the decoder(CPU) power.

both the x86 and modern ARM CPUs have instructions for decoding AES faster, but the PCs CPU is still much more powerful which is why the phone is slower.

Nope.

just check a"how to" video, you can break it if you do it wrong.

One of the dudes you're quoting said that flash storage is slower than SSDs, not HDDs. And your chart proves his point. Dumbass.

does anyone ever use LaTeX as the main way to type documents and shit

Why do people say IPC when they mean single core/thread performance. Are they retarded?

What's the cheapest laptop you can get with a 1080p screen that's widely available?

Well i thought he meant much slower than HDDs because of this:

>it should be much faster than my computer's HDD.
>Phone is much slower.

When he said phone is much slower it seems like he compared the guys PC to his phone, not a SSD to nand.

Also, the iphone isnt much slower than a (sata)ssd either.

Is there a noticeable difference between the Intel Core M3-6Y30 and the Intel Celeron N3450?
Is a laptop with the M3 a better option?

No, unless it's an important presentation it's just a waste of time.

I type my notes, draft and general documents on google office, you know unless it's top secret or important don't bother.

I'm using LInux (lubuntu, specifically).
A friend of mine sent me some .zips. Their filenames contain Japanese characters and so do the files inside.

Unzipping these files normally produces gibberish filenames. What is the best way to prevent this?

My preliminary google searches indicated this has been a long-standing problem...

It's very common in sciences. Most of the time, if you read a scientific paper, it was typeset in latex.

i understand your hate for python but someone here surely understands what's going on here
it must be related to the way certain functions work

>Are they retarded?
Yes.

the celereon is based on Apollo lake (think intel atom) and the m3 is based on skylake.

The m3 is better in every way, but specifically it is more than twice as powerful in single core and the GPU is a lot more powerful.

The m3 is usually a lot more expensive tho.

It may be zip's issue, next time ask for a tar.xz or tar.gz or tar.bz

They are both crap, especially the overpriced Core-M, try to find a i5 around the same price or go home.

Anyone?

CPU on phones are pretty shitty.
Some might have hardware encryption support, some might not have it.

Equally, phones tend to have horribly shitty bandwidth between components of the phone.
The memory is one of these in particular that can vary wildly from version to version, never mind different brands entirely.
Think the difference between consoles and PC in gaming.
They can have fairly similar processors and GPUs, and because they are dedicated and the games ARE the OS, they should be better than the same hardware at the time, right?
Most don't because the console companies gimp the fuck out of the bandwidth between components so hard that the processors can never reach their full potential.

True, a 6 year old i5 buissness laptop will be faster and cheaper. The m3 isnt THAT far off (until it heats up and throttles) in this case though

adobe acrobat

It's called "charm", you don't get linux font experience anywhere else.

Why does Youtube@4K looks better than 1080p on a full hd monitor?
When I play games with internal rendering @4K on a full hd monitor, does than mean I'm playing the game at 1080p with 2x SSAA?

>Why does Youtube@4K looks better than 1080p on a full hd monitor?
Because it's downscaled 4k. the bitrate is much higher than 1080, and since 4 pixels are downsampled to 1 compression artifacts are much less noticable.

It's really retarded that most people dont upload in 4k.

>When I play games with internal rendering @4K on a full hd monitor, does than mean I'm playing the game at 1080p with 2x SSAA?

yes.

What do you want explained that the MDN doesn't already cover?

Is upgrading a CPU as simple as swapping it out for a newer one with no other steps? I could've sworn that there's some headaches about doing it.
And since I'm asking, what would be a cheap step up from an i5-2500k that works with Windows 7?

can I get a quick rundown on the changes from Scheme R5RS, Scheme R6RS, and Scheme R7RS

It doesn't have to be that old, for example just a quick search: ark.intel.com/products/88193/Intel-Core-i5-6200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

That one has the same price and it's faster. Not the best battery savers though, the i5's.

>Is upgrading a CPU as simple as swapping it out for a newer one with no other steps?
If it's the same socket, yes. Sometimes yo need to upgrade your bios first.

>what would be a cheap step up from an i5-2500k
Look for a 2600k or 3770k. The step up wont be massive. have a llok for stuff like Xeon E3-1280 which is LGA 1155 as well. It wont be super cheap though, and it wont be a massive step up.

Are you going by intel ark pricing or the price of machines that acctually use those CPUs?

macbook air, needs prop wifi driver, no ethernet

so debian live has a bug where it wont install without a internet connection, so user suggested I use a different installer. which worked, except now I dont have the dependices to install bcmwl-kernel-source, I looked into apt-offline, but it wont install without dependicies(wrf Debian)

Im about to go crazy. been at this fot 24 hours

I have an older(~6months ish) arch netinstall iso, anyone know if it comes with bcmwl?

Chromium has this annoying "SIgn in to chromium" thingy in the top right. I never use it and want to remove/hide it from the gui.

How?

Almost, you need to install the OS again and make sure your motherboard and CPU cooler is compatible.

You don't have many options with the same socket cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5/i5-2500K.html

I recommend just selling your 2500k and motherboard, buy a 7700k + z170 motherboard if you want a noticeable difference.

i don't think it can be. even iridium which is basically chromium without google has that, even though the sign in button doesn't even work in it.

>buy a 7700k + z170 motherboard
7700k is only better for 120hz+ gaming with a high end gpu, if that's not what you are going to use it for a ryzen 1600 or 1700 + b350 mobo is significantly cheaper and much better.

I put my pc in a new case recently, i have a 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD, and a 2tb HDD that isn't showing up in windows. I can see it in BIOS as drive 3, but can't actually use it. Was a cord not plugged in well enough? it's kinda a bitch to take out and plug back in

What's the simplest way to "un-make" my last action in a drawing application (by applying what was there before on the changed part of the picture) instead of going back to a previous copied bitmap in undo?

Is it possible to use a Ryzen 5 1600 on Windows 7?

according to some tests it can cause crashing in win7

only one drive not showing up? does it show in disk management? if not, try re-plugging.

It's possible but it's a hassle. maybe try google..? anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

But even then you wont get the optimizations and it may be unstable.
I know windows 10 sucks but once you disable the spying best you can with third party apps and disable updates it's ok.

AMD should support W7. many people would be pleased with such decision and it would make them have a better opinion on AMD
like linuxes are friendly for old software

You need to look for the Undo delay and lower it down, it will use more RAM though.

This is clip paint.

guys...please...

displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/f394215ae

Is RGBW really so awful for 4k TVs?

Why does Nightly (Firefox too) get extremely slow if I leave it open overnight?

total coding noob been trying to learn javascript for a couple of weeks, what stupid mistake is preventing my capital B counter from working? :(

var Bs = 0
function countBs(word) {
for (var i = 0; i == (word.length - 1); i++){
if (word[i] == 'B'){
Bs++}
}
return Bs;
}

console.log(countBs("BBC"));

//outputs 0 no matter what argument I provide

>Are you going by intel ark pricing or the price of machines that acctually use those CPUs?
Just intel prices, but it should reflect on the laptop price too. There may be a cheaper I5 laptop dunno, the buyer should do the research, countries prices may vary

>>>/dpt/

The count variable should be declared and initialized inside the loop otherwise its not starting from 0 on repeated calls to that function. Like if its 2 this time if you call it again its going to start counting from 2 not 0. Secondly the condition in the for loop is wrong it should be

I need a "modern" motherboard with a parallel port for the ancient printer my boss can't afford to replace.

Anything from the last 5 years will do, I just can't find anything, and the boss is against an adapter, as they've tried several and haven't had any luck.

I'm looking, but I can't find shit...

Because it downloads the image from image_url but get the extension to save it as from original_format, change that line before the else to just be image_output_filename = image_filename to fix it.
Dunno why it greens different format than your browser but probably because it gets the url from json_dict instead of directly from the url you pass it.
Also using regex instead of split to get the extension it's lulz worthy.

i wanna watch the free trailers in brazzers but i have hit the limit already. in the past using incognito mode which doesnt track cookies or whatever worked, but now they seem to have fixed it. can i find a way around without restarting router for different ip? tried deleting cookies already (just cookies tho) did not work.

What? New kernel should come as part of normal system upgrade. You only need headers if Building module.

in my web mapping class, we had to start an instance of xampp before viewing our website to actually see it working.

when i went home, i could load the website directly from my IDE and it worked fine.

but opening index.html from the file browser does not work because it doesn't know the jQuery identifier ($). I assume this is because I am loading jquery from a CDN.

Why, then? Why do I have to either run it on xampp or run it from my IDE? what is the difference?

i googled this but i think the question is pretty broad so i cant find a direct answer

I'm using a custom Debian for Odroid, called Debian Jessie which can use 3.10 or4.9, and I'm trying to move upwards.

i thought about it as well but then instead of ".png.svg" i get only ".png" which gets recognized by both program and browser as a png file so still no good

It ain't that they are jap characters but that they are encoded in jap encoding rather than utf8, which is the default on Linux these days. You can manually rename the files with encoding translating tools but I don't remember what it's called and am on phone, sry.

Why not just set a limit of undos/redos kept in memory, and then anything beyond that is saved on disk?

What level of math is this?

My mom's complaining that some of the apps on her Android tablet stopped working yesterday, they just crash when launched. Specifically the CBS, NBC, Comedy Central, Crackle, NPR News and Watch Food Network apps. I haven't been able to find anybody else having this problem so far and all I can think of is that these apps are trying to make system calls for video playback or something that isn't valid anymore for some reason.
Any help would be greatly appreciated since my mom's tablet is her only computer.

Ah, damn. If I post a throwaway email here, could you send me the name of those tools, if/when you remember? I'd really appreciate it.

europe-wise last year of highschool
na-wise first year of college/university
no idea elsewhere

Why not just grab the dependencies too for the Debian installer?

Egyptian

late mid/early high school in Poland

Intel LGA 775 + intel Q9700 or similar

oh, and it's from physics

That's how it works, when it runs out of memory limit it uses the HDD, but I assume it becomes very slow unless you're on a SSD, besides not being healthy for the disk.

if you encounter this in physics in late midschool this means you have already encountered this type of maths in math class before. calling bullshit on that, no way poland is teaching these in mid school

late mid/early

huh

Creating image containers for website. Description text pushes down image. How can I get around this?

come on user... he means late midschool/early highschool

reeeeee someone answer my question i know it must have an easy answer and nobody answered in the last sqt either reeeeee

Fuck my ass is that really too hot
I do NOT want to go into wireworld

and what's complicated in that? division?
it's late mid OR early high

Well that's what it gets from the json_dict at the top of the sample you posted. If you want it to get a differing image you need to make it use a different url.

Upwards to what? A custom kernel? Do you want to upgrade the whole system to stretch?