Samsung 960 NVMe Evo

Alright, why are my boot times shit even though I use this blazing fast SSD?

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-960-evo-nvme-ssd-review,4802-4.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

only super fast for continuous reading/writing.

M.2 drives are PCIe storage, normal SSDs are SATA storage.

Boot initialization for SATA devices happens before PCIe devices in the POST process.

tldr; SATA devices get booted into first

Your gaems don't load any quicker either.

Except that's wrong.
tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-960-evo-nvme-ssd-review,4802-4.html

It clearly still performs well under random read and write, and the queue depth performance is good.

What are you talking about pajeet?

SSDs don't make device enumeration and driver startup any faster. dmesg

Because processing needs to be done.
The bottleneck isn't your storage anymore.

Will that ever change?

>what is bottleneck

>mfw ~18 seconds from grub to login screen on a 10 year old laptop with a 7200rpm drive running sysvinit
lel@systemd hindus

Sounds like a bad case of a systemDisease

systemd-analyze blame

Post the output, let's see which service might be the culprit.

>$ ls /etc/rc[35].d/S*
>$
gjm8

I suppose a manufacturer could create their own POST initialization that started with PCIe devices instead of SATA, but it's currently not standard.

I think if you have a laptop that doesn't have SATA devices at all it will go straight to PCIe initialization, but idk about desktops.

Is there any way to get rid of the nvidia bloat? I swear all that crap slows my nvme m.2.

It would certainly be something to look at.

Alright, so I was able to cut off most of the userspace stuff but the kernel still takes suspiciously long. I had a look at dmesg as suggested and it turns out ACPI is a main contributor. There are these two 2s bumps in pic related. Does anybody have an idea why? Can I safely disable ACPI in grub?

looks like at least one of those is the boot order thing user mentioned.

If it's M.2 it's still PCIe even if it's SATA speeds moron.

I'm going to try here instead of making my own thread.
I recently built a new pc and i have to manually go and boot the SSD in bios every time i start up my computer. It is not in the list of boot prios for some reason. What do ?

How did you partition the drive?

Your partition should be properly aligned for ssds to squeeze maximum speed.
I once didn't do it and it fucked me up.

To automatically properly align your partitions you should use 'parted' with '-a optimal' flag. For example:
parted -a optimal /dev/nvme0n1 mkpart primary 0% 100%

Note that this is a single command, you don't open parted interface.

Go to the boot menu in your bios' advanced settings and select the drive there. If it's still not there, unplug all other drives, boot to desktop once, then reconnect drives.

Yeah, that time is ridiculously slow, something is wrong. I have an nvme drive too, which is not even Samsung (it's Toshiba, almost 1k slower) and my system boots in like under 2-3 seconds after I press enter in Grub. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my computer right now, so I can't check the exact time and post 'systemd-analyze'.

Thanks user

>autisming over boot times
amazing

5.882s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
4.799s apt-daily.service

wut do

update, they fixed some of that

You're booting userspace in six seconds dude, that's what the SSD does. You've got hardware that's slow to initialize

what package?

static ip

NetworkManager
check it against the dev's version

This, DHCP service is slow as fuck.

Can't you move /boot and the boot manager to a real SSD but keep your OS on that?

disk speed isn't the only factor, if it's waiting on other things like mounting raids, connecting to a network, etc, then it doesn't matter how much faster root is

This does however rewrite my partitions and erase my data right?

You should reorder few lines of UEFI code. Should be fucking easy, if you have sources. But we don't and manufacturers don't care much, so we're stuck with this crap.