What do Sup Forums think about hacker news ?

What do Sup Forums think about hacker news ?

Other urls found in this thread:

n-gate.com
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14726950
news.ycombinator.com/show
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How I went to Sup Forums to see its reaction to HN.

Too pretentious. Otherwise okay.

A lot of the articles are interesting, though the comments can be pretty hit or miss

I ran away since Sup Forums turned into consumer elestronics board, but never quite met an userbase as good as Sup Forums was.

Here HN articles are really interesting, but the comment section is shit, it's informative, but still shit. So I'm wondering should I bother reading comment at all.

From what I see, even author of articles that get posted on HN shit on the comment section too.

A fucking joke but no one's laughing

HN is Sup Forums for normies

It's getting worse and worse by the day.
Shit gets upvoted.
Dumb comments get posted.
It used to be so much better 3+ years ago.
Normies are to blame.

Every 2nd comment is something along the lines of "I love it here because the comments are so insightful"

All the fuckers there just want to smell their own farts

n-gate.com

The hivemind comment section can be pretty fucking obnoxious but I still read it every day.

>"Hacker" "news"
n-gate.com

I enjoyed n-gate up until the last two posts where the author revealed he's yet another idiot who thinks domain-validated SSL certificates are an alternative to anti-phishing lists. Somehow, it's hard to find his snarkiness funny knowing he's the kind of asshat who is snarky about subjects he knows nothing about.

/thread

It's better than Sup Forums for technology discussion.

Anything you want to discuss on Sup Forums just gets flooded by ebin meems and gamers.

It's way better than slashdot for technical news. Also better than Sup Forums for legitimate technical discussion.

does his supposed mistake invalidate all his other posts you liked him for?

Yes. Why would I continue to value the opinions of people who I know talk about things they know nothing about?

Sup Forums is Sup Forums for normies

Everyone there takes themselves way too seriously. They are the overly polite but dismissive redditor turned to 11. Making a joke of any kind is risky.

I go on there to get a general idea of what the industry is talking about so I can consider what to learn next, but I wouldn't put too much stock in what they say.

Far too obsessed with shitty startups and get rich quick schemes and not enough technology/programming. Way too many commenters are "idea guys" that don't know shit as well.

That "Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots" quote was from a HN comment about Sup Forums.

Can't spell hn without sjw agenda

Funnily enough there was a time when HN reposted articles from /r/programming, then reddit became more popular and /r/politics and /r/funny grew
At that time HN took over but later startup hype started and it went into pic related

I use it as a news aggregator, skip the comments because they're full of idiot Californian numales. 90% of the news are trash as well because they're not bullshit entrepreneurship startup seed fund round bootstrap meme garbage but every once in a while you see some neat posts that you won't find on r/programming, r/sysadmin, r/linux etc.

I like the theme and the interface. It's well designed.

It's kinda like a Reddit but for tech news. I like node.net too.

Fucking this. There was a thread a couple of months ago about why they're lots more Russian girls in STEM and any real not SJW bs comment was downvotted to hell

lmao is that real?

There's a story on the front page at the moment about the blue man group being bought by another circus company. Shit sucks for the last 2 years

it's full of pajeets working on silicon valley for top 500 companies in the board of directors with h1b visas but would return to india as soon as possible because americans are meanies

but also it is full pajeets in india that would never leave india because it is a super power

and also it is full of street shitters that beg for other street shitters that already are working on h1b visas how they can get in

>tfw you think HN is thehackernews.com

Yeah, I remember it going on for nearly two days

Things that will get you downvoted into oblivion on HN:
>anything suggesting an Apple product is less than perfect
>anything suggesting a Google product is less than perfect (unless it's from a privacy angle, which is sometimes allowed)
>anything suggesting SV culture is less than perfect
>jokes or references to popular culture (unless they reference the Silicon Valley HBO show)
>strong criticism of a "Show HN" project, even if it's constructive

It's even more of an echo chamber than Sup Forums, and it's basically proof that user moderation creates echo chambers. Users are too stupid to resist downvoting things they disagree with, rather than just downvoting comments that are non-constructive. It's funny because the admins seem like they work pretty hard to algorithmically create a high-quality user community, but it's still going to shit.

I'm not glad he's dead but I'm glad he's gone.

Full of complete fags

they are all snitch ass niggers who report you and get offended

>>anything suggesting SV culture is less than perfect
nigga there are tons of articles about sexual harrassment all the time
>>jokes or references to popular culture (unless they reference the Silicon Valley HBO show)
This is good, if you want endless threads of effortless puns go to reddit or something

That, and people need to go out of their way to downvote, because it isn't even enabled in the default UI so the people downvoting are a special kind of asshole who really believe that they a clever little bitch.

It's good for the articles. Comments are hit or miss.

The other day, there was an article about a guy making a VM in Google sheets using google scripts or whatever. Some guy called him out in the comments, saying he was disappointed that it wasn't pure cell formulas, and then proceeded to build that himself in the span of a few hours.

It's alright to read at work, there's not many SFW websites that kill time as well as it does

It was shitted by pajeet sjw. Nothing true assembler there. Just some web programming and machine learning hype shit.

>nigga there are tons of articles about sexual harrassment all the time
This is the only topic that is allowed regarding SV culture being less than perfect. Typically it's brought up in the context of OTHER people and OTHER companies, of course.

It's as shit as this board used to be Gentoo Install true meme. Now it's consumerist shit. FUck you all.

There is just way too much moderation in general

That's why I like Sup Forums the jannies atleast don't ride your cock as bad as leddit or HN

For a bunch of supposedly internet-savvy people, they are pretty fucking bad at picking out sarcasm in text. Bothers me like fuck.

Garbage leftist site that HEAVILY MANIPULATES votes and bans you for disagreeing with their cancerous SJW libtard views.

Horrible site overall.

Please Sup Forums fuck them out all.

HN good posts? Wtf are you smoking? Top is like 50/50 between blogs from past decade and startup bullshit, new moves way too fast to catch a worthwhile post unless you check it every 10 minutes. Comments are even cringier than neo/g/. These days the only option is subscribing to mail lists of your interest.

This. The top articles are trash compared to what they used to be.

I really liked it back when it was common to do Show HN. There were people posting cool shit every day and inspiring me and making me feel inferior. Now it's just boring "tech" "news" soap operas, medium articles written by mentally ill psuedointellectuals, and the comment section has devolved in the same fashion as reddit

SEXISM AT WORKPLACE: SOME GUY ASKED ME OUT AT WORK! HOW DARE HE! I'M SUING THE COMPANY FOR SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND I'M MAKING A BLOG POST TO SHAME HIM SO HE NEVER GETS A JOB IN TECH AGAIN! WHAT A SEXIST SCUMBAG! WE NEED MORE PROUD WOMYN IN TECH!

that above has been a typical news story on HN for the past month.

This is exactly how I feel about Sup Forums.

They made a special version of the site that takes only accounts made in the first year into account, to prove people like you wrong (or right, idunno). I don't remember the url though

SJW cancer

Don't hit on your employees then you virgin.

Fedoras

It's just another reddit

>Don't hit on your employees then you virgin.
only an underage virgin or a manchild would think that hitting on women is wrong.

This post was flagged and removed shortly after I took the screenshot of this post. I knew it was gonna be shortlived.

They have some admin called "dang" who's the biggest feminist/sjw piece of shit ever. Guy's a lowlife.

ignore all the meta-technology threads like culture/startups and it's fine

If it exists, it's just a bunch of survivorship bias; the people who made it what it was have left, and the people who have made it what it is have stayed. I don't think such a data set can really tell us anything.

its good for technical discussion. everything else devolves into gay beta male shit

/Thread.

>There is just way too much moderation in general
It's good to have a mostly unmoderated place to post, but every forum does not need to be Sup Forums.

It's good to have a variety of sources that range between curated, moderately curated, and uncurated.

I asked the n-gate author about this:

"I never said anything of the sort. I was shitting on letsencrypt for just sidestepping the whole issue; they don't even have the slightest hint of a revocation policy for abuse. If you don't think that's a problem, you're just another Hackernews."

dung is a SWJ piece of shit lol

>/r/programming
>/r/politics
>/r/funny
>hacker mews
>Sup Forums
good for anything but meaningful talk

t. retard who thinks The Economist is leftist.

>/r/programming
Clueless idiots who have to pretend they're smarter than the author of the submitted link

>Hacker News
Clueless idiots aming for a non-controversial comment that seems insightful but isn't really insightful at all so they get the most karma

>Lobsters
Clueless idiots who have to point out they're less clueless than the people on Hacker News

>Sup Forums
Clueless idiots

bunch of fucking porkies

less dumb than Sup Forums

>dung is a SWJ piece of shit lol
Whats his name? Dan G---? I'd love to see his picture.

>The Economist
We're talking about HackerNews you low IQ shit for brains. Go back to tumblr or faceshit or whatever you morons congregate.

the guidelines say

>If you think a story is spam or off-topic, flag it by clicking on its 'flag' link. If you think a comment is egregious, click on its timestamp to go to its page, then click 'flag' at the top. (Not all users see flag links; there's a small karma threshold.)

and i think someone commented that flagging is also for "content that doesn't belong on the site"

i've found that flagging and downvoting get abused a lot, even just for things people don't agree with

i use /new a lot (this thread was linked there) and like to bookmark interesting posts to read comments on them later and even the slightest hint of controversialness in a post usually means it'll be flagged and removed when i go to look at it later

recently i saw a blog post about programming get flagged and the only thing "wrong" with the post was that it obviously wasn't written by a native speaker

it's also visible (heh) in comments where downvoted comments turn an unreadable color (shouldn't a site like hn be all for accessibility?) and often they're just something people disagree with

HN is a pure flagfest filled with pro government and megacorp types who bend reality by first suppressing then denying the truth.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14726950

[flagging intensifies]

so, what websites do you visit, you enlightened technician?

>Articles

Not bad, a bit SJWy and Web Devvy sometimes.

> Comments

Sometimes too SJWy, otherwise alright. Sometimes reddity.

>this is not a form for discussing politics
>proceed to censor and remove anything but that's not pro-corporate, pro-capitalist
>this is not political

I mostly check the links on the aggregators without reading the comments.

I think early /r/programming was the nicest community, something like lobsters could be if they weren't so obsessed with HN...

reddit is much worse in that respect though
at least HN pretend to be reasonable, redditors are there for the memes and the circlejerk

what kind of stuff d you read? mostly technical?

Yeah, most internet communities just take pro-corp as the bottom line and anything deviating from that is "political".
At least the comment section isn't totally sheepish on that.

>redditor
>polite
Maybe I haven't read enough Reddit, but my impression is the opposite. The /r/programming comments I read were like a middle-aged bolding IQ 110 Java programmer deliberately trying to be edgy and "alpha".

Real hackers work for NSA and CIA and covertly do their jobs. Only the wannabes and attention whores actually create a forum for themselves to suck each other's dicks.

What's interesting is that the numbers of disgruntled anti-SJW commenters and stories has grown lately. I think the ideological split in the Silicon Valley is deepening, which is a good thing. They even let Moldbug comment and shout down anyone who starts to whine that it's Moldbug.

Hn is almost as good as slashdot used to be. Unfortunately Hn is filed with botnet sellouts. Sup Forums is less capable but they are faithful to freedom/actually have morals

>Suppose you went back to Stalinist Russia and you said “You know, people just don’t respect Comrade Stalin enough. There isn’t enough Stalinism in this country! I say we need two Stalins! No, fifty Stalins!”
>Congratulations. You have found a way to criticize the government in Stalinist Russia and totally get away with it. Who knows, you might even get that cushy professorship.
>If you “criticize” society by telling it to keep doing exactly what it’s doing only much much more so, society recognizes you as an ally and rewards you for being a “bold iconoclast” or “having brave and revolutionary new ideas” or whatever. It’s only when you tell them something they actually don’t want to hear that you get in trouble.

why is this guy so assblasted? he is devoting a lot of time and energy to hacker news

>"what do Sup Forums think"
kill yourself

Alphabet agencies are filled with faggots. Go to a conference and they ask the dumbest shit. Autists with morals are real hackers.

Old men pretending like their careers are actually worthwhile.

news.ycombinator.com/show

HN : Lobste.rs :: Sup Forums : 7chan

>implying
usually it's more like: MY BOSS TOUCHED MY ASS AND ASKED ME FOR A BLOWJOB, THEN HUMAN RESOURCES TOLD ME TO FUCK OFF AND THE CEO DECIDED TO FIRE ME JUST IN CASE.

bullshit. sexual advances and asking a girl out is now sexual harassment in the valley.
however, women there wear short skits, revealing tops, lots of makeup and they flirt with men... to get a job and get ahead. that, apparently, is OK.
but as soon as you make advancements they scream SEXUAL HARASSMENT and want $$$$ compensation.

Only idiots hire women. women are absolute cancer int the workplace. they're way more trouble than they're worth. every job that a woman can do, a man can do better.

tl;dr: NEVER HIRE WOMEN*.

* other than women of negotiable affection for one-night stands.

engineers are extremely conservative, even more than economists, it's unfortunate silicon valley ended up in san francisco

I bet it wouldn't be a problem if men and women were segregated in the workplace like in Saudi Arabia.

"There’s simply no way on earth that Silicon Valley is in the right place."

>I bet it wouldn't be a problem if men and women were segregated in the workplace like in Saudi Arabia.
It always ends the same way. See pic related... how a women only company ended up.

I'm so strongly against women in the workplace that we simply don't hire them at all at my company.

one good thing about SV doing this shit is that they're destroying themselves from within. they're helping companies and startups from elsewhere succeed.

while they hire based on skin color and gender, others are hiring based on skills and promote based on meritocracy.

seeing the "bro-culture" meme pushed pretty hard to claim discrimination with zero proof