ATT cracking down on proxy/torrenting?

I just got a visit from ATT, guy said he was called out because of an unusually high amount of bandwidth going to 1 IP and asked if I was torrenting files. I lied and said I was running a twitch stream. I guess he didn't believe me because he started going over a "script" saying how ATT will cancel my service if they find out I've been torrenting OR using a proxy service! He went on to say it's all in the ToS and they will turn over all records to law enforcement if it happens again

I've been doing it for years but this is the first time I've been notified/visited for it. Has anyone else had experience with ATT and proxy/torrenting?

Change your ISP or change your country. Don't be a fucking cuck who signs "that" kind of contracts.

>things that didn't happen

att is the only people who service my area, comcast used to but pulled out when att installed fiber and they couldn't compete. I live 50 miles outside of any major city. and no, I'm not going to uproot my family to use a proxy

and then there's this faggot

torrent all of the distros

Comcast shill begone!

Comcast customer here. Used to be on big blue for a while a couple years ago. I noticed a definite drop in speeds while tormenting on ATT than I did on Comcast, but similar speeds in everything else. I'm sure that ATT does a lot more than throttling torrents, they'd probably give you up without much of a struggle to copyright holders.

> no, I'm not going to uproot my family to use a proxy
Then continue being a cuck and gobble that corporate dick, what were you expecting me to tell you?

>tormenting
phoneposter pls

Get a seedbox and have done with it. If you're a filthy normie with a family and a job and shit you can afford ten bucks a month.

MODS

Oh shit sorry that post appeared twice in my client, kind sage.

Is it against their ToS to torrent in general because muh bandwidth, or only illegal torrents?

If it's the latter, then : torrent as much legal shit as possible, obviously stop torrenting or seeding dodgy shit in the meantime (or get some crappy temporary seedbox), make them waste time, money, and effort on you. Once they've had a futile investigation that only found 400GB wikileaks files, dozens of 1-2GB distros, and other random perfectly legal stuff, they'll stop wasting effort on you since it just won't be worth it when there are easier and less autistic targets (which is a similar model to how private trackers stay safe - it's just not worth the effort compared to a public tracker).

VPS + openvpn

>he doesn't torment on his phone
And yes, I am enjoying my YIFY rip.
A 10
V 10
Thanks based YIFY!

Triggered artists in 3...

How does it feel to live in a country where you can't even keep a seedbox at home? tell me OP :^)

I'm expecting you to kill yourself.

When I was jacked in through my cell service, I was getting really slow speeds through an ssh tunnel, but fine when browsing openly...

I didn't bother calling them to complain about it because they would have hurf durfed about BGP peering bullshit.

Nobody is coming to talk to me about it, though.

>artists

You mean a VPN right?

If they're claiming the right to ban you for a proxy service, you're fucked.

That's vague enough to mean anything. 10GB to one IP maybe. So was it the bandwidth or the pirating that prompted the call?

No

Probably torrenting
They say bandwidth to keep their blackmailing subtle

I use PIA in conjunction with Nord, both purchased via a store giftcard purchased with cash

epic AT&T police car, user

>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
>Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

>he thinks this is Sup Forums

9000+ hours in MSPaint, desu senpai

2+2=4

OP here, I'm going to cool it with the torrents for the time being, everything out there is pretty shit anyways since everyone is accepting TS and HC cams as "quality" pirates. this isn't the 90's people, but I digress

I'm still going to use my proxies and just make sure I'm reconnecting every few hours, I have unlimited data, so fuck ATT for being upset about 10gb of bandwidth

this thread was mainly to see if anyone else has ever been cracked down by ATT, because until it happened to me, I honestly have never seen anyone with this issue

>I have unlimited data, so fuck ATT for being upset about 10gb of bandwidth
they don't really mean it when they say unlimited, rather like mobile carriers. They think "Oh, we'll be able to charge people more money for no additional services by saying 'unlimited'. They'll pay more to not worry about the arbitrary cap we put there to make them worry." Then people actually go above where they had the cap and they get cross with you because you're making their plan to squeeze more money out of you in exchange for nothing not work.

Then keep doing that

I work for AT&T.
We don't disallow proxies or VPNs. We do ask if customers use them, though, and try to sell them on higher speed packages. Since most people that use a VPN do so for work, we sell the "get your work done faster" bit pretty hard to them.

Can you distinguish a VPN on TCP 443 from HTTPS? Do you monitor or do anything with SSH traffic?

Not that guy, but from what I understand, it is possible to tell between the two.

I would have chewed him out and cancelled service on the spot if some nigger came over to my house and threatened to do that.

You fucked up OP.

I think OP said somewhere up the thread that AT&T is the monopoly provider where he is. He can put up with their shit or have no internet.

this
/thread

You don't need Internet, you can use some packet switching network instead and make it connect to the Internet at some point ahead. There are ways to get access to the Internet via Frame Relay and they're available for remote locations; Why do you even want Internet when you can have Frame Relay instead? Anyway, his story is bullshit; I work at AT&T.

REEEEEEEEEEEE

>Can you distinguish a VPN on TCP 443 from HTTPS?
It depends. Openvpn can be easily detected while cisco or stunnel dont. But most of vpn users are detected just by traffic destination. When somebody sends all of their data to a single address it becomes pretty oblivious.

Yes, Cisco Application Visibility Control can tell, i'm sure whatever carrier grade solution AT&T has can as well.

Nice try, State Department.

>Openvpn can be easily detected while cisco or stunnel dont.
wrong, see and pic related

>change your ISP

>amerifats
>having more than one choice
why do you think their ISPs can get away with doing this sort of shit?

>sell your kids for scientific experiments
Are you protestant?

>oblivious
kek

Wow this cisco shit looks much more advanced than ntopng/ndpi. Could it detect shadowsocks as well?

It can detect normal SOCKS

Modern enterprise gen5+ firewalls can decode the type of traffic whether its encrypted or not and report it to the operator.

OpenVPN can be detected based on its handshake, regardless of transport protocol.

No shit, look at rule #2 in my pics

>using the smiley with the carat nose

But do it all at once in a huge batch, never complete the files, proxy/VPN into the tracker using HTTPS, grab files you want and prioritize them, restart all connections.

I miss YIFY.

ITT: OP gets phished.

>I guess he didn't believe me because he started going over a "script" saying how ATT will cancel my service if they find out I've been torrenting OR using a proxy service! He went on to say it's all in the ToS and they will turn over all records to law enforcement if it happens again
You are full of shit. Although excessive use is covered under the ToS and AUP, you would not receive a physical visit from your provider. You would be notified by email and regular email. Proxy/VPN usage is not restricted in any way and it is unlikely that ANY ISP wants to get in that legal shitfest should they be found 'intimidating their subscribers' for their use. Also, the excessive use and use of proxy/vpns is not something that ''law enforcement' would be interested in.