/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Where do I buy Habrings?

Remember.

Always fall for the Hamilton meme.

Straight from habring, they only make a few hundred watches a year if I'm not mistaken.

Posting some more of my bb

I like techno
Prefer minimalist aesthetics
Black and white preferred

what watch should I get?
preferably less than $500

thanks friends

Sexy af

The rose

Beautiful

I got this sexy beast

The clasp turns into the shield which is a nice little touch

Wear it in good health :^)

Fuck yea got off drill early, and had a new aquisition waiting for me in the mail. Can't believe how small this thing is

DW-5600 for scale

>literally made out of plastic
>$250

nice meme marathon.

nice fucking meme.

>$250
Try $100. Not paying 250 for a plastic mech when I actually field use mine.

Some day Ima get a railroad model of one of these. They're so neat

What is the railroad model?

Strongly considering buying this exact model soon. What are your impressions of it so far?

Do you think it would be wise to trade up to an Omega Seamaster QUARTZ?

Trade value of about $900-1k USD. I think they go for around $1200? I'm in Aus so there's usually a slight premium on top.

I would be trading a microbrand shitter and using funds from sales of another microbrand shitter and a steinhart shitter.

Worth it or no?

lol no

Why? I'd be looking to flip it pretty quickly, and I feel like I might *make* a hundred bucks in the process.

should I buy this or the citizen nighthawk? I wear a gold ring.

How do date and moon phase complications work

They're both affixed directly to the gear train, as would a second, minute, and hour hand, rotating at a slightly slower rate.

Some Accutrons were certified for use on American railroads

Some user posted one here.

So it rotates at half the speed of the hour hand i would assume? Is that correct?

Nice. I've heard there is a lot of horological history in regards to american railroads and I should learn more about it. Are these models more expensive?

Yes.

This is not the whole story. Moonphase are affixed directly to the geartrain yes and rotate around (1/24)*(1/29.5) the speed of the hour hand.

Most date complications do not turn smoothly all day, but jump at midnight. They typically use a sawtooth wheel that jumps ahead when the time reaches midnight.

Alright friends, who can come up with an alternative to this
>high accuracy quartz
>durable as frig
>diver
except not krautshit

If you're talking about day/night indicators, which are not moonphase, then yes, they just rotate at half the speed of the hour hand. They're basically just 24-hour dials, but with a sun and moon disk instead of a hand.

Oh right there is a .5 in there.

Yeah I've disassembled a slavshit movement because I wanted to learn how the date jumped. Having a hard time getting it together again but I'm learning.

Was there functional purpose to moonphases back in the day?

To tell when the werewolves would be out.

No, of course not. I suppose you could make an argument about when it'll be bright enough to see at night or when a good time for stargazing is.

Pretty sure most of the reason is astrological. That being said there are for sure reasons to be aware of the current moonphase.

Like what. In this day and age at least.

If that is a quartz watch its fucking laughable. Look how misaligned the second hand is. If it was mechanical it could be mid second but if it's quartz it should always be aligned to the second. SAD!

Sure, I suppose tides make sense

The original question was about "back in the day." That being said, my gif is an answer your question. Knowing the moonphase, and what it will be soon will tell you about neap and spring tides.

Alright but tides are mostly irrelevant to the average person. I guess period tracking is helpful.

I didn't realize GS Quartz is so cheap. Might have to buy this.

Fuck off ninefag

Are you a nigger?

Quite beautiful

Looking for a daily driver under 1k AUD. I was thinking cocktail time, but not sure how I feel about a cheap mechanical for daily use.

get it while you can

the new SRPB43 is pretty much the same watch isn't it?

Good news for the Alpinist fags. Strapcode is releasing a new jubilee bracelet that looks like it fits better than the actual stock SARB bracelet.

Fuck, that's the first pic where Alpinist actually looks good to my eye. I always wanted to like it, but found it ugly.

Not really. "Presage" on the dial is a bit lame and the movement has a lower power reserve. If you're gonna get one of the new ones, at least make it one of the coloured ones.

Nomos Tangente

/fa/

Awesome, I might get one for my SARB033.

Oh god all of those look like shit

Yea the jubilee looks good on it. If I hadn't just bought the stock bracelet I'd buy one. They range from $109 for the most basic clasp to $137 for a wetsuit ratchet buckle.

Stainless with screw in links. Might pick one up soon just to have it once/if the price drops.

/git/
/out/

I love Strapcode bracelets, I've got a super oyster on my SKX & a super engineer my PW3001.

Daniel Wellington for such a shitty description

Omega Seamaster Quartz = Next Level Cuck

imitation american, imitation swiss brand. not falling for the meme. might get a gruen curvex/hamilton equivalent though. Vintage hamilton is the meme to fall for

jungans max bill, stowa antea or nomos (any of them, they all follow that general aesthetic)

>i can't afford a submariner

i need one of these. its required for me to go on living

What watch is this?

Casio W96H?

fucking gross man ew buy a real seiko like an mm300 or something

"better" pic

elegant. gold done right
trying hard not to buy one. trying to save for other watches

I keep looking at the sarbs and putting them in my shopping cart... then i stop myself because at the end of the day no matter how nice they seem they are shitters. If paul pluta ever gave good advice it was to not waste money on buying a bunch of shitters. the 400 dollars here and there adds up.

Does /wt/ approve of this watch? (asking for a friend)

i meant the bracelet. already have the watch. they are tool watches essentially. the movements are basically undecorated but keep good time.

probably going to keep saving and get a datejust. the watch looks fine on shark mesh/leather

>fell for the skeleton meme

no one in the history of watchmaking has managed to make a skeleton watch that isn't trashy as fuck.

its not a bad watch man i have my fair of worse watches. Just trying to change my ways. The 17 and 33 are damn hard not to buy though. Cannot beat them for anywhere near the price.

this

i agree. resisting a few shitters myself

If you really want a skeleton under 1k, this isn't a bad one. It has decent legibility. It's basically a step up from something like a fossil skeleton. Fake American branding aside, Hamilton is a decent way to get cheap access to cheap eta movements. Skeleton dials aren't my style but if you want one you could do a lot worse here.

Any good 24hr watches reccomendations?

Vintage slavshit my only option or are they still made?

Thought?

The geophysic and the master are beautiful watches.

>off center subdial
Fuck i hate this

glycine airman. if you're poor then i guess slavshit is all you can get.

Which do you choose wt?

JLC, but the 38mm one

what's the point of mechanical watch, their technology is out-dated

that's the exact jlc i would get...its nice to see other people on here with good taste.

whats the point of you having a dick you never use?

But I do use it to piss

Fun fact, you can pee even if you cut off the penis.

I guess. But still, I use it to aim at the bowl.

tell me about the last technology revolution in watch industry, it's like about twenty years ago?