/sqt/

Put your small questions here, after at least trying to search for an answer on line yourself.
Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dfoR61gma5GqLj204FPvL2A2AV5xBHL
techpowerup.com/gpudb/b1881/dell-gtx-660-oem
techpowerup.com/gpudb/895/geforce-gtx-660
tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html
futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660/review
techpowerup.com/gpudb/2849/radeon-rx-460
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Randomly / sometimes my c/c++ programs do end by themselves, they do execute everything I told them to execute but the return in main().
[ The chances are even worse when I use exit(x) ]

This turns running the "make" command on projects (gcc, libcurl...) that compile and run "checking programs" impossible to build: feels like I have to flip a coin 50 times and get 50 tails in a row.

What the fuck could be causing this? [ I'm using Mingw-w64 on Windows (of course) ]

I noticed that there's a big difference between the colours shown on my laptop's display against my phone's, I'm a digital artist so it's a problem

I've been looking for a new laptop, something with a 15" colour accurate display, no budget since I make dosh at my main job.
Anything to suggest?

I tried to update the BIOS on my chinkpad today, and it failed spectacularly. Pic related is where it got stuck. Luckily all I had to do was reboot, since the flash utility stalled before it could do any real damage.

The only problem was, the flash utility disabled the power button. So my choices were either to let the battery run down, or yank the battery while the laptop was still running. I decided to run down the battery.

Did I do the right thing? I figured that yanking the battery would probably damage the computer.

What's the best free anti-virus for paranoia check after you forgot to activate Common Sense™ 2017?

I get an error when I write this:
void func(int two){ std::cout

On windows, Malwarebyte
On linux, Clamav

I guess that's all you/we need

>On windows, Malwarebyte
MSE*

MSE is hot garbage.

How do I install systemd on macOS?

I was wondering how much money I can make installing pirated software (windows 10, ableton 9, autodesk, etc) if I put out Craigslist ads

Where I live (Midwest) it is unlikely there is any kind of legal deterrence

If you feel this is too risky, then what kind of bonafide computer software work could I make money with?

So I installed copyq.
Installed the snippet plugin.
Created a tab called "Snippets"
Clicked new item.
Now, as far as I understand the process, I'm supposed to give the item a name and some content.
How?
Just how the god damn motherfucking fuck how?
Fuck!
Motherfucking fuck shit piss nigger dicks FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

It doesn't have many dependancies except for libc and the linux kernel so if you get the linux kernel running on macOS you are good to go.

Bump

So I'm buying a Pentium g4600 because it's cheap but better than my current cpu. I'm getting an ASRock B250M Pro4 micro atx. If I wanted to change my cousin in the future to an i5-6600k or something I'd just need to change the CPU correct?

if the cpus share the same socket yeah

>I've been looking for a new laptop, something with a 15" colour accurate display, no budget since I make dosh at my main job.
>laptop
Should have an actual PC with a good IPS or OLED monitor with a WACOM for drawing.
Look for IPS or OLED panels on laptops.

Windows has Clam products as well. Fuck Malwarebyte it's garbage too.

Is there a way to play .swf files in Linux?

Is there any way to restore an old hdd that doesn't show up in bios?

When I start some video games, my display colors and calibration change for whatever reason. Using an AMD card, I've already set my display settings to full RGB, which is the only thing I found on google.

Anyone ever had this? It's really annoying tabbing out of a game to read something, and your display colors being all fucked up.

Your videogames are old or you shouldn't play on full screen but windowed full screen.

why does /kobr/i also filter kobrick? am i missing something here?

Game technically isn't old, and it doesn't have a full screen windowed option, but i fixed with third party software, I just wish I didn't have to use it.

nvrmind. Figured it out.

What does this mean?
Is it the maximum Vram?

How do I view these 404'd threads? They're clearly saved as you can see some of the OP in the search results.

archive like 4plebs

thanks buddy

So I'm currently trying to set up an emulator box. I had previously put together some old parts into a system (AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 9800GT), but put a hold on that when a coworker gave me her old Inspiron 546s that had stopped working (I got it working again) that has an AMD Phenom X3 8450E and 8GB DDR2 RAM. Initially I was thinking of taking the MoBo, CPU, RAM, and HDD out of the Dell and putting it in the case I had used in the computer I had put together, then using the more powerful PSU and the 9800GT I had to make it a bit more powerful, but after comparing the two online I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Should I swap the whole PC or should I just take the RAM and keep the rest of the Dell intact (give it the 2GB of RAM from the other computer)?

Can I use a graphics card as a cryptographic coprocessor? If so, how?

How do you go over maximum volume on windows 7?

I already maxed my speaker volume and application volume but some things are still too quiet. How do I increase volume more?

I am a size 32x32 and would like to try on women's pants, which size should I get?

Let's say i want to download an entire youtube channel (~470 videos but only want the audio) in separate .opus audio files with the highest quality possible from the videos, how could i do this with youtube-dl?

I guess with some sort of bash script but i'm too pleb at Linux to figure it out.

How great of a difference can the RAM of a GPU make? if I'm buying an high-end GPU from 4-5 years ago that has 1.5GB of RAM GDDR5, how worse can the performance be compared to the same model with 2GB RAM?

What's the best free anti virus for windows 7?

I'm going to community college to start my associate's degree and hopefully land an entry-level job to get some experience before going for a bachelor's or higher.

Should I do network administration or programming? I like programming better but I feel like the jobs aren't as stable as a 9-5 "IT guy" job would be.

New versions of youtube-dl support both downloading channels and audio format conversion

ClamWin. You need to write a script to automate it because it doesn't offer real-time protection.

use FLAC instead of sub 320kbps mp3s, faggot
and buy good desktop speakers

Difference between OEM and normal GPU?

youtube-dl.exe -i youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dfoR61gma5GqLj204FPvL2A2AV5xBHL -f 251

(I think -f 251 is the opus)

Sometimes -f 22 will have 192k or 256k AAC and that will be the highest (opus is always 128), but there's no way that I know of to auto-detect if it's higher than 128k, so you'd have to download -f 22 and check. Since that comes with video you'd want to strip that, but I forget how since i don't use that.

Buy an amp.

There are none as far as I recall that had something like 1.5 and 2GB. It was 1GB or 2GB, and depending on what you play that can have almost no difference or a huge one.

What are you looking at, anyway?

Could be nothing. Could be the same thing slightly downclocked. Could be a totally gimped version. Could even be a downclocked higher version. (I think there was an OEM GTX 650 that was actually a 660? Don't quote me on the model but I know there was something)

I'm talking about this:
techpowerup.com/gpudb/b1881/dell-gtx-660-oem
techpowerup.com/gpudb/895/geforce-gtx-660

The Dell version is 50% cheaper, even though the specs aren't much different, the most noticeable difference is the RAM 1536MB vs 2048MB of the Nvidia version.

Has anyone ever tried this?

lol, that's actually the one I was talking about here
That OEM 660 is actually a 670 with one of the units disabled.
Give me a sec to check. I think it's actually faster than a regular 660.

Yes. Microsoft throws a shit fit whenever it happens, last guy they caught doing mass activation of pirate installs was fined a lot of money. You have to be Chinese to get away with it.

FYI that is a phenomenally bad card these days, either way.

Honestly, if it's underclocked I don't mind, I was going to underclock it anyway, since I don't wanna deal with heath issues and it'll still be faster than my current GT 630 regardless.

How comes? what else is there for the same price range with similar specs? I can't afford to spend more than 100€ for a new GPU (including shipping and taxes).

Source?

I think it's mainly the guys actually selling pirated copies by massive loads that get arrested and fined, the ones who actually sell online

>How comes?
Because the 60's tier is never a raging powerhouse to begin with, and we've made 3 huge generational leaps since then. That card is wasted by the bottom tier shit that's put out now.

tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

file:///
also try gnash or lightspark

If you pirate with intent to commercialize instead of what everyone else does, for discreet personal use, any company with intent to protect it's bottom line will go after your ass. This isn't only Microsoft.

Well the one bench I can find shows it 5% slower.
The regular 660 has asymmetric memory so the last 512MB is only on a 64 bit bus, meaning it might as well not be there, so for memory size they're essentially the same. OEM 660 should overclock better.

futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660/review

Whether or not it's good depends entirely on what he can afford and what he's paying. If he can pick it up for under $50 it's still good.

Managed to do it with -x -f 251 on the playlist, thanks lads.

>tfw just spent an hour debugging why a std::promise was taking a nonsense value and find that i forgot a return statement in a function returning int
>tfwhad i had the -Wall flag i would've caught it immediately
TIME FOR BED

What's a good music player for Windows these days? Is Foobar2k still the best thing out there?

Calibration is a step *you* do based on the environment you're working in. Pantone and others have hardware monitor calibrators.

>the bottom tier
Can you recommend some model? AMD Radeon RX 460 surely can't be one of them, although it has 2GB, the other specs are much worse for the same price, pic related.

Even the GT 630 I use now has 2GB RAM but it still sucks, that's why I'm upgrading.

>meaning it might as well not be there, so for memory size they're essentially the same
I don't know much about symmetry but if it costs half the price, can I assume OEM is the better choice?

>under $50
The GTX 660 OEM? I found it new for exactly 100 euros shipping included, that's the limit of what I can spend.

techpowerup.com/gpudb/2849/radeon-rx-460
>We recommend the AMD Radeon RX 460 for gaming with highest details at resolutions up to, and including, 1680x1050.
By the way, my current GPU supports 1080p without issues, I honestly don't see any reason to use this radeon.

Different architecture and several generations newer. 460 is definitely faster than a 660, though not worlds faster. (futuremark says 10% and I don't feel like searching for more)

>100 Euros
Eh....
What do 7870's, R9 270/270X, 7950/7970's go for where you live?
(270 and 270X's are just rebranded 7870's)

GTX 660 is around 7850 level. You can pick those up in the States for $50.

Well European pricing is hell, so I don't know exactly how much they're gouging him for each card

The 460 will beat the 660 handily. You're comparing apples and oranges with those specs. Like trying to say an AMD processor is more powerful because it's clocked higher than its intel counterpart. Also Nvida drivers don't age well. You're also overestimating the value of more ram. At your resolution and tier of card it's unlikely to be the thing that bottlenecks you, unless you're playing a game with really poor memory optimization, like shitty console ports.

It wouldn't be worth it for merely encrypting/decrypting bulk data, if your CPU is at all recent and has AES-NI extensions. If you want to recover passwords or something, look into hashcat.

It varies, check sizing charts around the web or try them on in store

>GTX 660 is around 7850 level. You can pick those up in the States for $50.
I'll check the 7850 and 7870 prices then.

>The 460 will beat the 660 handily.
But isn't that at lower resolutions? I wanted a GPU that can support at least 1080p and maybe more, since I plan to get a new screen eventually in the future.
I'm currently playing games on mid quality settings at 1080p without FPS issues on GT 630 and it's not even a high-end GPU.
Unless I'm reading wrong, the 460 supports 1050p max.

You misunderstand. It will "support" any resolution you damn well please. iGPUs can run 4k. They wont do it WELL, at least not for gaming, but you can turn them up to that setting. When the 660 was released, it was expected to do ok at 1080p for the games released at that time. The 460 is estimated to do well at 1050p for THIS generation of games, which are much more demanding than what was available back then.

>Radeon HD 7850 for 50 bucks
I'm in Canada and amazon says 400 bucks.

And I just sold one for $55, and I have a 7870 that isn't moving asking $75.

I asked yesterday but got now answer, not that it's a surprise. Trying again just in case because this shit is impossible to google

When I use TTF fonts, any program that displays both images and text (w3m, ranger) fail to show images properly, or sometimes at all. This is particularly shitty because I pretty much exclusively use w3m to browse the web.
It works fine on my FreeBSD install which has had no tweaking whatsoever with regards to fonts, whereas my Linux disk is a ~3 year old install so I can't really be too sure of anything I might have changed/installed/uninstalled in the past.
Anybody have a clue?

cool i'll buy it. can you ship to canada?

Annon is trying to watch his temps tho

Famous last words

foobar2k
aimp
musicbee

>The 460 is estimated to do well at 1050p for THIS generation of games, which are much more demanding than what was available back then.
I understand now, that isn't bad. The price range is around the same too, but I'm checking better AMD cards first, maybe I can get something for the same price used.

>Buying on anonymous forum
Sounds legit.

No. You can come to Connecticut and pick it up.
I'm actually in no hurry to sell it by itself which is why I have it listed for $15 more than I paid for it. It's in another machine I have for sale and I think it adds more than $75 to the value of that.

Sure. The 5xx card are only about 10% faster than the 4xx for the most part, so I wouldn't spend much more for them. But there was a huge generational gap before those, so I would be real hesitant about going back farther unless you're looking at a much higher tier for the price. Same goes for Nvidia and the pre-10xx cards. 2016 was an abnormally big leap.

Raspberry Pi 3 CentOS EPEL repo when?

So I'm playing games in wine on Ubuntu. When I press a key, instead of the game responding to it, computer desktop in the background or whatever it is that's open takes the keystroke instead. So I can't play a whole bunch of games. I've tried different things, disabled the nautical search bar and rearranged gnome. None of it works.

You need to remap the keybinds/shortcuts. Had to do the same shit on Windows with certain keys.

Ah, fuck. Simple solution to a retarded question. thanks.

Also check out winecfg, Graphics tab. You may need different settings there.

mpv

right click, properties, select your device, advance properties, enhancements, try them out

I know buying cheap DisplayPort cables is generally not a good idea because they often have pin 20 connected, but what about if it's a DP to DVI adapter? Would one end being DVI make the fact that pin 20 is connected irrelevant?

So my temporary workplace is giving me a free MacBook to work on since the company consists of 99% macfags. My question is is it worth keeping after being done there? Are macs especially good at something or should I just sell it as soon as I'm done?

Its pretty good if you are not paying for it.

>2016 was an abnormally big leap.
It was still nothing compared to the 90's. The GTX 680/7970 are now over 5 years old and they'll still give the $150 1050 Ti a run for its money.

>can't even display cover.jpg
kek. MPC-HC really does beat mpv in everything, doesn't it?

There's these videos from a game that have visible alpha masks underneath the frame they're supposed to be applied to and I want to convert them to either a png sequence or a webm with transparency or something. How can I do this?

where to start if i want be a sys admin

How do I start programming for Android? Basically, I want to make an app just for myself that will simply reverse the colors on screen. It would effectively force a sort of "night mode" in apps that natively only have a white background, or in white mobile websites. I'd later add more features like automatic toggling based on screen contents, time and screen content hysteresis etc., but the basic idea is reversing the displayed colors.
How do I do that? What Android programming tutorials should I use? What should I look out for? I've had some prior experience with C++, but I'm completly fine with learning another language.

Why do all the office chairs I tried wiggle when you're trying to sit perfectly straight? When you're not leaned against the back of the chair or not leaned forward, you can slightly wiggle the chair base in all directions.
Pic related is how I imagine it working, so when you're trying to sit straight, the chair seat is standing on the rod and has room to wiggle in all the directions because the hole in the seat is thicker than the rod. But when you lean against the back, the seat is also fixed against one side and doesn't wiggle anymore.

Is this how it works or are all the chairs I've tried fucked? This shit pisses me off

are these mini compressors good for cleaning pc cases and fans? I couldn't find anything else that wasn't for car or that wasn't some expensive professional equipment.

after installing win10 LTSB N on my Asus ux305fa laptop it says "0% available ,plugged in not charging", and as soon as I pull the plug the screen goes black. I tried reinstalling the battery device in the device manager, but that didn't help.
What do I need to do in order to make win10 recognize the battery of my Laptop? It worked fine on Linux before

Anything with IPS display + buy a calibration device.

Your phone is probably nowhere near accurate either.

I don't know how powerful the air pressure is from those things, but I use a compressor all the time to clean my PC

I'm thinking about getting some Ubiquiti networking equipment since the price/quality ratio is good enough and the cli looked nice to use.

Do I need to use a Unifi controller? I actually don't want to set up an Unifi controller. Cli should be enough to set everything up for me.

Does anyone have any arduino experience?