/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Essential Phone is delayed
cnet.com/news/andy-rubin-essential-phone-misses-own-30-day-deadline/

Moto G5S Plus detailed in new leak: 5.5-inch, aluminum body, dual rear cameras
gsmarena.com/moto_g5s_plus_detailed_in_new_leak_55inch_aluminum_body_dual_rear_cameras-news-26073.php

Alleged Motorola Moto Z2 Force spotted in benchmark listing
gsmarena.com/alleged_motorola_moto_z2_force_spotted_in_benchmark_listing-news-26079.php

LG Q6 Geekbench Listing Shows Android 7.1.1 Nougat, Snapdragon 430, 3 GB RAM
gizmochina.com/2017/07/07/lg-q6-geekbench-listing-shows-android-7-1-1-nougat-snapdragon-430-3-gb-ram/

Nokia smartphones with Zeiss optics are coming back to market
androidauthority.com/hmd-nokia-zeiss-camera-tech-partnership-784937/

Alleged Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact with Snapdragon 835, 4 GB RAM, Android 8.0 Appears on AnTuTu
gizmochina.com/2017/07/06/alleged-sony-xperia-xz1-compact-snapdragon-835-4-gb-ram-android-8-0-appears-antutu/

Honor 9 review
gsmarena.com/honor_9-review-1629.php

Deal: LG G5 on sale for $224.99
ebay.com/itm/352049253484

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xnzr79At6dA
s.aliexpress.com/Q73MRbiI
nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-3-detailed-review-redefining-low-end-daily-driver-22-days/
youtube.com/watch?v=Yh79WgAnX9I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Okay, I'm in Netherlands on T-mobile. Thinking of getting the OP5 as the jelly doesn't seem like a deal-breaker to me. Also considering Honor 9, the battery seems lacking and not a fan of Emui. I've been using Moto G's and was thinking of trying something else. Should I wait for some new phones to release instead?
And no, I don't want G5.

Anyone know whether the Samsung S7 is good?
I'll root it for sure if I can (depending on chipset)

(reposting, curious if anyone's used this kb)

Peck-typing the manufacturer's default included keyboard for the common peasant.

Slide typing on Gboard for the more distinguished gentleman.

But if you're a real geeky ass nigga, and can already swipe type like a madman, you HAVE to try out Keyboard 69 (the Android equivalent of the iphone version which is officially called Nintype).

Dual-swipe typing (you use both hands) is way faster and more fun. Takes less effort as well. The android version's literally still in alpha but I can't stop using it regardless.

OP5 is currently the best phone on the market, aside from Mi 6, XZ Premium and S8+. There's no reason to wait for anything since there will always be a better phone released in the future. Unless you want to wait for a new Pixel.

My mother uses it. It's fine.

What would you recommend then in the same price range other than s7? (500e or so)

Best VR device for redmi note 4?

PS4 VR

Nokia 9 youtube.com/watch?v=xnzr79At6dA

That's just a fake concept video, made by some pajeet telling by the choice of color

Xiaomi Mi6 or OP5

Why are there so many pajeets in the phone industry?

For anyone interested, this Aliexpress store has the black Redmi Note 4 Global 4gb/64gb in stock
s.aliexpress.com/Q73MRbiI

what's the pro of converting from apple to android if i'm not a programmer or a person that likes to customize a lot and just wants something that works fast and efficient ?

What's the best vanilla android phone, with regular OS updates, supported by the community and easy to root? I come form a Nexus5 so I'm used to this kind of phones, is Pixel the only choice now?
Bonus if the display is "only" 1080p and the battery is good.

I'm in yurop by the way, so nothing carrier related.

Oneplus 3t or 5

Here's the pasta

Pros for using an Android device:
>cheaper (actually they cost between $50-$16'000 so it's very relative)
>doesn't have overpriced accessories
>3.5mm port
>mSD
>better camera on most devices
>better battery life on most phones
>some devices have wireless charging
>back button
>can be used as a flash drive, without having to use LagTunes (so it can also be a Bootable Media)
>can share files with other devices over BT/WiFi
>deletable default/system apps
>superior rooting
>great variety of phones
>adjustable interface
>superior operating system overall
>better apps
>better multitasking
>file manager
>can download and install software outside a single app store
>can download certain files without 3rd party apps
>can download over 100MB at once
>can torrent, become a tiny server, overclock/underclock, and more
>AdAway, XPrivacy, AFWall+, Lucky Patcher, additional security and privacy apps, custom ROMs, system tweaks, easy recovery, more features and apps
>more useful apps for tech competent people
>even if you jailbreak an iPhone to get a few additional features, a rooted Android device still has 10x features, it even has more features when it's not rooted
>is an actual smartphone, instead of being an overpriced dumbphone
>pretty much a computer in your pocket

OP5 definitely

Thanks, I could go with the 3T since they are starting to go jew with prices with the OP5

zte axon 8 with SD 835 when

literally a fucking perfect phone. 2k, OIS, AMOLED, dual front camera, SD slot

I want to upgrade my redmi note 3 pro to an axon 7 but axon 8 should be coming soon, and I want SD 835 for 2K VR

Nokia 6 stpck android without bloat. Also it is getting the monthly android security updates etc.

I don't think Oneplus sells the 3T anymore, but if you find one used or something, sure go for it. It's an amazing phone.

I wouldn't say the OP5 price is too bad since it is still 200€ cheaper than most flagships.

My good old Nexus 5X is running low on performance and battery life... Awaiting the LG G6 Plus with quad dac.

Not him but
>check for 3t online
>they go for 450-600
Might just go for OP5 after all. At least there's warranty.

You could just get a LG G6 H870DS if you want the quad DAC

Posting again since i didn't get much help in last thread.
I CAN'T for the life of me decide which phone to get, the galaxy s8(exynos) or the oneplus 5.
where i live they both cost the same.
The ONLY thing stopping me from going for the s8 is rootability and custom ROMs (even though the exynos is rootable).
Is the screen, water resistance, superior camera, wireless charging and design of the s8 with the tradeoff? I CAN'T DECIDE!
convince me that one is better than the other.
And like i said i don't consider the jelly screen a deal-breaker, and i can live with touchwizz+nova.
I need help.

If they cost the same obviously the S8 is better. I'd get it for the nicer design and the better screen alone since I don't really care for water resistance or wireless charging. The better camera also helps

S8 is the best phone on the market right now, but where I live OP5 is 200€ cheaper so only because of the price I would go for the OP5 but looks like it's not a problem for you, so S8 is the way to go.

Get a LG G6 or HTC U11 if you want something better specced than the OP5, but something easier to root and more likely to get custom ROMs than the S8.

Also keep in mind rooting the S8 trips Knox which means no warranty or Samsung Pay.

Any other alternatives for used Z3 compact in it's price range? I want a phone with screen size under 5 inches.

Review on the Nokia 3:
nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-3-detailed-review-redefining-low-end-daily-driver-22-days/

OP5
Water resistance and wireless charging are memes. Nothing worth considering when buying a phone.
Larger screen resolutions will lead to a worse battery life.
Camera is good enough on OP5. It's better than iPhone's current camera which is all it needs to be.

>S8
>best phone on the market
Even if you ignore the fact that it ships with a ton of bloatware it's still not "the best" and may only be slightly (1%) better/worse than:
>Xperia XZ Premium
>Xiaomi Mi 6
>OnePlus5

What price range exactly?

For the price of used Z3C. Here they start from 135$ and I don't want to spend more than 150$.

Oh, the phone has to be used for that money ofc.

Z3 Compact is probably the best you can get under 5" at that price.

I like both designs equally if I'm completely honest, and based on previous experiences i get over the design after the first month so it's not the most important factor in deciding which phone to get imo.
The u11 is still not sold here, and when it will it'll be way overpriced just like every htc phone here and it'll cost more then both the s8 and 1+. And I've completely disregarded the g6, I'm not interested in it at all.
Also, if the warranty won't fix my cracked screen i don't need it (which is every warranty). And Samsung pay isn't supported here and I'll probably never use it anyway.
I agree, I've had an s6 and never used the wireless charging even though i had the Samsung pad, and even of my phone is water resistant I'd never get it close to water.

But still, both being the same price here with a difference of about $20 at most this is really mind boggling. The s8's design is so futuristic it'll still be considered a marvel 4 or even 5 years down the line. But it lacks custom rom support which is a big deal for me, and the numerous reports of either the front or back glass cracking after one drop scares me as i always carry my phone with just a dbrand skin. The aluminum build of the op5 is a little more reassuring.
I fell like I'm going nowhere with this, there's nothing that completely settles this dilemma for me.
I'd imagine this wouldn't be the same if they weren't the same price, BUT THEY ARE.

should i get an M8 for £80 or Zuk Z2 for £130
both used

My Z5 Compact has slowed down as fuck, I've tried everything to sort it out, even factory reset. When I hit the homescreen it takes ages for the icons to come up, and basically anything that requires any processing power or RAM takes fucking ages to happen.

Is phone dead?

Is actually taking school notes on a galaxy note with a stylus viable?

>S8 has a futuristic design
You're thinking of Xiaomi MIX

ZUK

slide typing is retarded unless you have a 3" - 4" phone. i can assure you i can type faster than any slide typer with normal typing on gboard

Why are you people still recommending the OP5?

This is why Apple fags laugh at you. And they're right.

I'm liking action launcher and actually considering buying plus if it's worth it. Where can I find a full apk to see if it's worth it?

Because it's a good phone. In my country you won't get anything nearly as good for the price of OP5

>inb4 jelly scroll

Sure, it's a fault, but I'd rather take a barely noticeable scrolling effect over a laggy touchwiz phone

Try a custom ROM

Currently have the S8+ and can definitely feel the touchwiz lag. Could sell it now for about the price of the OP5 ... worth it? Or hold out?

Doing a reverse Google image search on this GIF brings up the a bunch of info on LSD...

Hold it and wait for Nokia 8 or 9.

How good swipe typing is in Finnish?

name your best comfy retro console games with touchscreen-friendly controls, any system but prefer [S]NES / Genesis / GameBoy / PS1

Like every pleb I need help...

Where I live the P10 is being sold right now for 368 dollars and HTC U11 for 770 dollars and not sure which to choose.

I want a good camera that is good for being viewed online (social media websites), good audio (I know the HTC doesn't have 3.5 mm but I don't worry too much about carrying around the dongle because I only use that at the gym so won't be a problem keeping in the bag, rest of the time I use bluetooth headphones), I want to be able to use it for 2-3 years until upgrade. I don't like G6 or S8, LG because no, Samsung because their poor touchwiz.

Haven't found ANY drop tests for the HTC, there's only scratch, burn, bend test.

I will have it in a protection case, but not a brick case.

Any help pretty please?

S7 Edge worth buying now?

They're both good, I'd go with the P10 simply because it's half the price of the U11 but if money is no issue then HTC U11 is probably slightly better overall.

I accidentally deleted a text. Is there any way to recover it or view like a recent text log to see who it was from?

Digimon world 1/2
Hogs of war
HOMM 3 with DosBox Turbo

it's worth buying all the time. the best phone i've ever had desu. i haven't got bored of it after a year of heavy use. idk if you are looking for a p/p phone though.

Anything turn based, so RPGs like Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Golden Sun etc. strategy games such ad Advance Wars and Fire Emblem etc.

Samsung Galaxy S6 still good? I can get one in good condition and with clean ESN for $180 USD

Everybody still uses Nova launcher, right?

Not really, the battery life is shit and touchwiz sucks

can i run ff 7 on android

just buy a used PSP

So I was going to buy the LG G5 before being told not to, so I guess I have to settle for the Moto G5+? I've heard some people recommend the Blade V8 Pro instead, as it has more features, but the community for it is blank.

I can just get a custom ROM on it to replace touchwizz and improve battery right? Can't be worse than iPhone 5s

i just realized ff7 is available as a game on the play store lol
i dont like consols.

Yes, just download a PSX emulator like FPse or ePSXe

A custom ROM won't improve the battery much, if at all, as most of the power is used by the display, radio/modem and processor. Also, custom ROMs can't use Samsung's proprietary camera code so camera quality will be worse.

Get the G5, it's on sale for $225 (check OP news)

>I was going to buy the LG G5 before being told not to
>Get the G5

now you got told to buy it

without proof and countering reasons, that is. I'm avoiding all LG products for the matter as the lawsuits against the company seem to put a risk on getting a phone from them

you'll need it

I'm on the Beta program with the GN integration, loving it

770 dollars for an android device is retarded

The lawyer involved in the lawsuit just added the device to the lawsuit with no actual proof of issues other than anecdotal (G5, V20), he started a survey back in April, and there has been no new news about it since
If there was an actual issue with G5s and V20s bootlooping like G4s you would have heard it by now

It's recommended in the Home screen threads on /wg/

okay.

still not want to convert to Android though

and I have, several videos sprung up
youtube.com/watch?v=Yh79WgAnX9I
I won't trust them atm until LG makes a statement declaring that they're safe

lg phones always had bootloop issues.

>source: my ass
I've owned the Optimus, Optimus G, G2, and G3 and never had a boot loop issue
You sound like a salty samshill

>he fell for the G3 meme

google lg bootloop issues idiot. even wikipedia has a webpage for the issues.
i owned more lg phones than you did, latest being lg g3. all of them had a bootloop issue at some time, some of which were related to my using custom roms. i have a Samsung™ Galaxy S7 Edge™ 32GB Black Onyx ehich i have used for a year by now and i didnt even feel the need to root it because it is great.

Had more of a look now, anyone know anything about the ZTE Axon 7? Other phones recommended to me are out of what I want to pay for something I won't use enough to justify paying more and not available currently where I am (need a phone ASAP since old phone broke).
Looks good, 4gb ram / 64 gb memory (+128gb from SD), good cameras, great audio, 2k screen and 820 snap are good enough for me.

Only thing I don't know about is it's rootability

It's easy to root and there's plenty of ROMs including official LineageOS

Axon 7 looks solid m8, go for it

It's the only ZTE line I'll recommend

what's a good price/vendor in the US to get the Axon 7 from?

If it's Sup Forums approved then I shall, since S7 seemed a bit vanilla or out of date (or that's the connotation i was getting from earlier guy).

Thanks a lot : [spoiler] ^ [/spoiler] )

Reeeeee for my incompetence of not knowing Sup Forums doesn't have spoilers, being new, or fucking spoiler up which I never do
/blog

>/blog
which price are you planning on getting it at?

Hey guys,

Threw my Nexus 6 on the ground and cracked the screen pretty good.
Thinking of getting a new phone that isn't a huge phablet since I actually have pretty small hands.
Would like one that supports IKEA wireless charging as my Nexus did, so I'm looking at Motorola Droid Maxx, Nokia Lumias, Samsung Galaxies for example.
Any owners or thoughts about these models?

Newegg, Best Buy, B&H Photo, a ton

price(es) hoped for? I may get one myself if it's cheap

>Threw my Nexus 6 on the ground
in a fit of autistic rage?

No matter how good your smartphone is, you'll never get to play YouTube videos in the background while you using other apps anymore.

;_;

Was riding my bike and tried to quickly stuff it into my pocket like a dingus.
Probably would have worked too if I didn't have a phablet

Newegg has new in box for $370
There are used ones on Swappa for under $300
There are used ones on eBay for about $300

Got an iphone 7 for free thanks to my brothers phone plan, and I wasn't gonna turn down an needed upgrade, but dammit I didn't realize how dumbed down iphone was. I can't believe anyone puts up with this level of handholding and limitations. Apples design philosophy is to teach tech illiteracy. Now I have to look up fucking jailbreaking. Sorry about the blog post.

Use it in splitscreen