Proprietary software is not logical...

Proprietary software is not logical. It wastes resources because every single proprietary software project dies with the company. Pick any proprietary software project you like: facebook, discord, world of war craft, windows, mac osx, youtube.

These products would all die if the companies that produced them died.

The gnu project and the unix utilities have been around for decades and they are not going anywhere, because they are not dependent on a single company or entity.

Eventually the business persons are going to realize that when they invest their resources in proprietary software it is not a good long term investment. They set themselves up for failure.

Imagine if you would a computer engineer. He or she or they have spent an exceeding amount of time out of their life to complete rigorous schooling and get enough job experience to work at a company that pays well. They can design programs that can outperform teams of people through automation. And yet this person and many person like them will have their lives wasted on projects that will ultimately fail.

That is not only illogical but it is sad.

fuck off spock

Yeah but at least you get paid at a company :^)

imagine being so entitled that you think that you should personally have access to the representation of source code worked for hundreds of thousands of man hours for free

may the force be with you

>That is not only illogical but it is sad.
>using spock as a picture
>not saying the picture is unrelated
>op is a complete waste of resources because he fails to understand that spock couldn't be sad

Kill yourself op

>yourself

yes, that includes getting paid for making free software

*you'reself

this does not mean that people could not be paid to devote a pre-negotiated amount of time to development to the project. it would still be worth doing because you cannot rely on the open source community, nobody is denying that.

>implying any open source software is successful as the gnu project.

sure. I am entitled to the accomplishments of mankind and they in turn are entitled to mine.

cooperation is the way forward and greed is the ball-and-chain holding us in place.

Water fountains are free and yet the people who make water fountains and who install and maintain them get paid. Radio is free and yet the people who work at radio companies get paid.

It is not that I necessarily want the source for free. It is that non open source software has been shown by decades of history to be doomed to fail, and there doesn't really seem to be an alternative besides giving it away for free and charging for service.

Anyone who has watched star trek in depth and read the books will know that because of his half human side spock could get sad.

tbqhfalamam the web at large is basically dominated by open source principles and technologies

all the proprietary shit (java, flash, etc) is disappearing in favor of superior vendor-agnostic standards

not even MS could make a dent in it with their activex and silverlight bullshit

Netscape/Mozilla would like a word with you.

Business people don't care about long term growth anymore. The future is uncertain. Why would they invest into something that provided long term growth?

>8% marketshare

What would be nice is if you can charge for free software. It is allowed by the GPL, but I don't really know of any software that actually does this. The only popular model is the dual license model where you have a proprietary version that companies can pay, but I think that is dumb because then you remove the whole point of the GPL. According to the GPL, you can charge for the software but the source also doesn't need to be public, you only need to give it to people who you distributed the software too.

>what are taxes

The people you distribute the software to can then turn around and sell it at your behest. This is the major deterrent for companies.

In reality, it's not an actual problem, but I can tell why it gives people pause.

Yeah, they can also post it online for free. They would only have access to that version of the software though. I recall this one GPL software becoming proprietary because GNU/Linux distros were packaging it and no one was buying it from them.

b-b-b-but

>i-ii-it's unconventional

Spock was half human, he got mad at kirk a few times even in the original series.

>are

proprietary software is about monopoly. sure there is custom and niche software, but mostly it's about companies like microsoft and now stuff like uber just dominating and becoming multi-billion dollar behemoths