OS uses storage for RAM

>OS uses storage for RAM

could you please cite this quote?

>what is swap

Now just who the hell are you quoting here?

RAM is storage so... you're telling me operating system (which one?) uses RAM as RAM?

>OS uses storage for RAM
That's called caching.

baby don't hurt me

whats the matter? dont have a MMU bitch?

Its an optional feature. You can configure most OSes to just kill a process instead of swapping memory, most OSes have a variety of options for what to do when memory runs out.

don't hurt me

No it isn't, caching is the opposite.

in my experience when you configure an os without a swap you also give up hibernation which i cant live without

it really really shit me back 10 years ago when i had a 64gb SSD and 4gb ram in my dell lattitude and needed a sizable chunk of my smallish SSD for this pagefile/swap bullshit.....

>hibernation

lol, who the fuck uses hibernation?

>OS uses RAM for storage

News Flash:
You can create and mount a swap file using GNU+Linux.

>storage uses OS for RAM

>Ram uses storage as OS

this is actually kinda classy.
RAM drives = superior performance.

if RAM is so superior, why don't you install your OS in there

GPU uses CPU cache as VRAM

OS uses RAM as storage
what you are saying is:
>OS uses RAM as storage of the OS
make water wet, use your right hand to scratch the back of your right hand.

>RAM is storage
Then why isn't it called RAS?

Really makes you think.

People that fell for the meme of shutting down without actually shutting down.

>Want to save power
Sleep or shutdown
>Sleep uses too much still
Stop using shit hardware
>Muh power loss!
UPS, dumbass. You should have one anyway.

Hibernate became irrelevant somewhere around 2009 for desktops, and 2014 for laptops.

>OS uses ram for ram
>But also has a duplicate of the ram on storage

Sleep will still wake-on-LAN which I want sometimes but not always

Chrome OS is ran purely in RAM. It's retarded that other operating systems still don't do this. Linux at least has an application called preload that gets similar results.

Made me remember Mer Project or Qt in general.

>1: Mer is awfully slow on N900
>2: That's because it has to swap a lot
>1: Why don't you make something that doesn't swap
>2: ...
>2: *b& a troll from channel*

REDDIT JOKES ARE FUNNY

$ sudo pacman -S preload
[sudo] password for ***:
error: target not found: preload
$

Your workstation should not have wol enabled. If you need a machine to remote into, that should be a properly configured server. Wol is optional on a server if power use is more important than availability.

Separation of concerns is an important concept in security of any kind.

NVRAM maybe.. but RAM is memory.

Now leave my board.

you can do this yourself by catting all the files you want to /dev/null
>tfw running rage in wine but first catting all of the 20gb of files to /dev/null so my 24gb of ram would just cache them all and muh megatextures looked amazing with no popin

bullshit... hibernation is a total productivity thing for me and sometimes you dont want power draw... especially if you MBA battery s on the way out and havent fixed it yet

sleep works for short periods
hibernation works for longer periods
you get to choose....

If it takes more than a few minutes to load your workflow up then you're doing something wrong. I shut my computers off when I'm done for the day, every day. It takes less than 10 seconds to click open my normal applications and less than 30 seconds for everything to finish loading. I save 16 GB of valuable SSD space by disabling hibernation completely, and I get a nice clean session to work in.

>retarded shitkids think 16GB of physical RAM is overkill in 2017

>OS uses RAM

>He is so poor and cares so little about his safety he does NOT use a ram disk

>No it isn't,
Caching actually involves ram as well, to speed up read speeds. Look up RAMdisk

OP here. Honestly I barely know anything about computers and don't really know the implications of what I said in the OP. I know RAM is what makes it so I can have more tabs open and I know storage is for saving files.

You know you can nowadays use a Swap File, right?

>your problem is invalidated by my workflow

everbody on Sup Forums take a moment to look at this guy and laugh

>ever needing to use swap
>having a swap partition
>having a swap file
lol ramlets

dumbass, you should do a clean start once in a while because of memory fragmentation

>he uses RAM

>what is a Live USB/Puppy Linux

I don't play games, so I use my GPU for swap.

what ? it still access the usb storage when doing shit and its slow is fuck - no live distros have come close to an install on ssd

now you got me thinking and i must ask Sup Forums
any live linux distros tuned to run exclusively in my 6gb of ram ?

Still Puppy Linux.
It loads entirely into the RAM (it doesn't surpass 300MB anyways) making it possible to unplug your USB safely. But still you must save your stuff somewhere else, because when you turn the machine off the RAM will wipe itself because of its volatile nature.

Or... is it a way to make RAM persistent?

>what is pagefile

literally every modern multi-tasking operating system uses disk backed system memory.

You can of course turn this off on every modern multi-tasking operating system if you have enough RAM for your system memory requirements.

You know, if you're not retarded.

you could use non volatile memory for your RAM to make it persistent, but you might as well just use flash memory at that point instead of DRAM.

So yes, puppy (and every live linux that allows you to remove the original media) loads entirely into RAM. It creates a "ramdisk", which is using your system memory to store a filesystem (instead of storing it on disk). Changes can be made to that file system, but they are not persistent (as discussed before due to RAM being volatile memory).

Then you have things like ubuntu's live media that allows you to assign persistent storage, that loads the system into ram and creates a ramdisk like before, but it also allows you to map a non-volatile storage location that data can be loaded to/from between reboots. So you'd probably find / is mounted in a ramdisk and /home is mounted to a usb drive or whatever.

Im not sure what level that troll faggotry is here.

wow i didn't know you could do this. which operating systems support this?

Linux (the kernel itself), for several years.

what is this sorcery ?

link ?

thanks - i am a mint guy and i always saw the live distros using the usb for something or other - even with a fresh boot and just web browsing.... must be /tmp