Python is overrated

C gets a lot of things wrong, but braces are better than indentation for blocks.

Javascript gets a lot of things wrong, but prototypes are better than classes.

Python is slow. It became popular for data processing because it was a meme language at the right time and then NumPy was written. However, NumPy could have been written for many other languages.

Python isn't a bad language, but it is more popular than it deserves to be.

>python is not good!
t.mathlet

Nice blog, faggot. (^:

>python
>for math
>not matlab or haskell
retard

>matlab
Absolutely disgusting

>However, NumPy could have been written for many other languages.
You can say this about most programs/libraries.

I'm enjoying Python so far. But I'm a filthy casual and don't really know much about programming.

it's actually an argument in favor of python, since you're going to be calling the same c and fortran code no matter the language

I still think R is better for data.
Statisticians mostly prototype in Python/R, anything serious is optimized in C/C++ anyway.

>Python is slow

Then use C for the shit you need done fast. That being said, nothing most of write needs to be that fast, unless you're working on massive datasets

>Python isn't a bad language

Agreed. Python has a lot of abstractions that are workarounds for Guido's poor language design. 90% of the features Python has added in the last decade can be written as simple libraries in better designed languages (Smalltalk, Scala, even Ruby etc.). Even Javascript with a decent linter is better.

Fuck Python and fuck its numale cuck SJW maintainer Guido van Rossum. Might as well be using Rust.

>matlab

>90% of the features Python has added in the last decade can be written as simple libraries in better designed languages (Smalltalk, Scala, even Ruby etc.)
Examples?

Literally every single major deep learning libraries has a Python interface. Python is a good prototyping language for research.

>Python isn't a bad language, but it is more popular than it deserves to be
true, and even MIT professors teaching for 30+ years would agree for many reasons
one of those reasons is that python is too weakly typed. Meaning, you can write a string, hand it over to an operator that you told it was an integer, and it handles the string as if it were an integer (because it converts both integers and strings into ASCII and ASCII into hex), which can actually fuck your entire script up way down the road and make it a pain in the ass to account for where the fault was.
Ruby programmers for example have to deal with this same issue, but it's even worse with Ruby obviously, since it abstracts everything away and is even more weakly typed than Python.
Strongly typed languages with strict syntax are more work to learn and implement, but also a lot easier to debug and optimize.

>braces are better than indentation for blocks
The only way this could be true is if you don't indent your code properly or enforce a consistent indentation style for your project. In other words, only if you are a piece of shit.

>prototypes are better than classes

Haha no. Among other things, you lose types and more complex delegation methods like multiple inheritance.

>Python is slow.
So what? You're either blocked on IO or in compiled C modules. Complaining about Python's speed is like wasting time trying to optimize something that will save 0.01% of runtime.

>However, NumPy could have been written for many other languages.
Except it wasn't because Python was less frustrating to use than those other languages.

Is there a good general purpose scripting language with a c-like syntax.

I know of javascript but that's more browser oriented and php being more web oriented.

>Is there a good general purpose scripting language with a c-like syntax.
python is like C in many ways

python...

python is literally that

>easy to write
>community does 99% of the work through libraries
Meme or not, Python has tons of community development behind its libraries have created a very user friendly language. I like being able to shit out a Python script that does what I need it to do using somebody else's work.
C looks better (I think) and it is faster/lighter.

C is worth learning academically in order to demonstrate proficiency in the fundamentals of all programming languages, but at this point in history we have better tools to do the same job no matter what that job is.

>Python is slow
Amdahl's Law, faggot.
It's fast for getting your work done. Where's pip for C?

>lose types
C++ was once a preprocessor. I don't see where the problem with TypeScript is.

>hasn't heard of Node.js
You so basic.

Why not both

>not using pypy
>think that python is just useful for data science while there are penetration hacking and web development
Alright faggot.

I don't think so. For low level things like programming System Calls, Operating Systems or Embedded Platforms, C is and will the best option.

>61297562
>python is good!
t.mathlete

>Python is slow.
>So what? You're either blocked on IO
Not everything is webdev

you don't have to copypaste the post number you know, you can just click it

python syntactically is nothing like c and you deserve to be flamed for implying it

python's syntax is lazy and ugly.

Scala does the same job as Python a lot better and a lot more elegantly, way less prone to errors or type fuckery. I honestly hope that someone re-writes Tensorflow's API in Scala or R so Python fades away into obscurity because it's honestly a piece of shit.

Scala has it in SBT(or Maven), and you don't have to fuck around with virtualenvs to get sandboxed dependencies/requirements. :^)

python is good enough for most things single person team would need

what is bad is fact that it is not compiled and discovering dumb errors during runtime is nightmare

But if you ever scale past the point of a single person team you'll realise python was a horrible, horrible mistake and then spend two months refactoring in a good langauage

>using prototypes or classes
>using any OO concepts
plz kill yourself

10.times { puts 'Ruby has braces!' }

###

a = Object.new
Prototype_of_a = a.class

class Prototype_of_a
def message
'Ruby classes are objects, like Prototypes'
end
end

puts a.message
puts Prototype_of_a.message

###

require 'inline'

class InlineTest
inline do |builder|
builder.include ''
builder.c '
double inline_pow(int a, int n) {
puts("The raw power of C unleashed:");
return pow(a, n);
}'
end
end

puts InlineTest.new.inline_pow(132, 53)

Ruby is a great language, but it is less popular than it deserves to be.

is virtualenv must have in python job today?