/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - 144hz only
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-versus-amd-ryzen-1700x-14-game-cpu-showdown_192508
pcpartpicker.com/list/fsdG4C
amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B01GJEE9BG?ref_=mw_dp_olp&condition=all&pldnSite=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/pCFQLk
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Zmn9zM
pcpartpicker.com/list/g6GnvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/HQzpsJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Samefag here.

How much of a difference is there in emulator performance between the 7700K and the R7 1700? Is there relative parity between the two when running, say, Dolphin, RPCS3, PCSX2, or Cemu?

Depends on the emulator. I would say 7700k still is heavily favored because most emulators are hobby projects and thus heavily single threaded.

Why would anyone play Dark Souls on an emulator when there is an actual PC port?

Oh nvm it's Demon's Souls not Dark Souls, my bad...

Fan recs? I haven't shopped for fans in almost a decade. Just need a few quiet fans.

Looking for a 144hz monitor to use with my 1060. Not really eager to pay the gsync tax, and I'll probably go amd for my next card.
Narrowed my selections to the AOC G2460PF or Viewsonic XG2401. Will I be fine with either of these or should I look into something else?

need mATX case recommendations

>small(ish) nothing ATX sized
>A E S T H E T I C
>decent amount of (preferably visible) 3.5" HDD bays

Fans with blue leds run the coolest

Vintage meme.

>/vgcag/
>Video Game Console Assembly General

I'm correct in thinking that all the Ryzen 7 chips are basically identical except for binning, right? I want a 1700 but a friend is telling me to get the 1700X. I plan on OCing as close to 4.0GHz as it'll go.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, thanks. So it looks like Ryzen is a little worse for emulation, but for all my other use cases, it's a little better. I'll probably end up going for the Ryzen build over the Intel build.

Thanks Sup Forums! You guys are great!

Binning and stock fans

Dolphin is nominal, RPCS3 does quite well because it can scale with cores, PCSX2 is poorly optimized even on a i5/i7 so not sure there, Cemu is nominal

Keep in mind RPCS3 is very much a work in progress with two primary developers on a shoestring hobby-time budget.
Consider the month over month improvements, then pray.

Really it's basically the same for gaming at 1440p and significantly better than the 7700k for everything else. It's akin to the 8-core Intel CPUs like the 5960X which costs over twice as much.

>Really it's basically the same for gaming at 1440p
If you are not going for 144hz. Sure. There is a reason why it is still on the OP.

No at 1440p it does not make a difference even with a 1080 Ti.

It's in the OP because someone put it there, no other reason required.

legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-versus-amd-ryzen-1700x-14-game-cpu-showdown_192508

Thanks that article just proves my point. There was another one with a 1080 Ti with similar results.

cool, good to know. Thanks man.

Best gayman motherboard for a 1700? I'm looking at MSI X370 Gaming Pro, any reason to go for a pricier option?

You don't need a gaming motherboard.
Why the fuck do you need a gaming board?
Have you seen any benchmarks for FPS for motherboards?

It's a good idea to state the purpose of my build when asking a question, no? Gaming Pro is just one of MSI boards I was looking at, it doesn't even have any LEDs (Pro Carbon does, though). It's also one of the cheaper X370 boards I could find.

Why is the 1050 Ti so based?

Cause the 580 is out of stock

I have a 1600. I haven't tried CEMU, but I can play Mario Kart (my wife likes it) at 4k with zero slowdowns, maxed AA, etc. no problems. With PCSX2 I notice just as many slow downs on my 1600 w/ a 1050ti during Ratchet and Clank running at ~4k resolution as I do with it running at a native resolution, and I see just as many slowdowns on my i7 6500U laptop, so I think at this point PCSX2 is more limited by it's architecture than anything.

Just bought a new ASUS RX580-T8G on eBay for $500AUD.

Who makes the best IPS panels these days? Considering grabbing a 24" - 27" for development work.

ASUS, BENQ, ACER or DELL

Okay, so how does this look:

pcpartpicker.com/list/fsdG4C

Purpose: playing video games. Location: Russia, so the prices are going to be a bit higher. Mainly looking for: eliminating obviously stupid choices, things that just won't work.

GPU is an old one my friend is going to lend me until the mining craze subsides, so it can't be replaced... for now.

No PSU because I have no idea what do I need. 650W should be enough with some headroom, right?

Oh and the memory I actually chose in the shop is labeled as 3000MHz, but there's no such option in the parts picker. It's labeled as compatible on the MSI site, though.

Why not buy a 1080? Mining hasn't changed its price very much

>Purpose: playing video games.
>Location: Russia

Budget?

Also, buy a mail bride.

Its not a mail bride when you don't have to mail it.

Pretty sure it did in Russia. Founder's Edition costs over a hundred dollars. ASUS ones are like $1300+ or so. There's a site where you can order from Germany for more sane prcies, but they've been showing "out of stock" for weeks. Shipping from amazon is too pricey. Sites that claim to buy from amazon and ship through their own means are too sketchy.

Video games are a good way of escaping the clutches of harsh reality.
>budget
Well sort of what I have already on the list + roughly 10% I guess. I'd rather not go too much overboard.

One for $497 amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B01GJEE9BG?ref_=mw_dp_olp&condition=all&pldnSite=1

>This item does not ship to Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation
Seriously though, I can wait with the 240 until the shitstorm subsides. I mainly want feedback on the other components. And yeah, the case is pretty expensive but it looks cool and I liked what the reviews said. Plus, it's one of those things I expect to last for long.

why x370 chipset?

If you're main focus is games you could save some rubles with the Ryzen 5 1600. If you can actually use the extra cores then stick with the 7 though.

That's actually a good question. B350 does look attractive as well. I just grabbed the top chipset because I know AM4 socket will last for a long time and I wanted the top MB, but I don't really see features that I want that B350 doesn't have. What would you recommend?

Honestly, I just think having 8 cores is really cool. I thought about downscaling but I can really afford 1700. The plan is to OC it to somewhere around 3.5-3.7 on the stock cooler, I heard people achieved good results with it.

I want a cute GPU with some cuda cores and supports vulkan for cheap. No gaming. is the 900 series pretty alright for that or should I just go for a 1030

My 2500k is making playing newer games a stuttery mess at 120hz so I've been thinking about upgrading.

Do I just wait and see how Coffee-Lake turns out or jump on Ryzen now? 7700k isn't a choice because I'm not paying for a 4-core CPU in 2017.

Jump to Ryzen for smoother framerates.
Watch your CPU usage go from 90-100% bottleneck territory to 50-60% while your GPU usage goes from 50-60 to 60-70.

I need to upgrade Sup Forums. Do I bite the bullet and go for the 1151 chipset? The would require a new mobo, cpu, and ram (all of which are needed at this point). My only other option for my current 1150 MOBO would be what, a i7 4970k? As far as I'm aware, the 1150s will be phased out for the newer gen, and I may as well make my computer future proof now by upgrading to current/future chipsets. I've only recieved one response and it's to get a Ryzen, is AMD really my best option or should I wait to see how Intel reacts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/pCFQLk

what can I do to upgrade my old gaming build? Preferably for less than $200/$300

Save the money for a new build

Need some help with my final decision, planning on pulling the trigger today:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Zmn9zM

Main plan is gaming @ 120hz. Main worries are currently:
Unsure about case. I was planning on the Corsair Carbide 400C but I'm open to other suggestions.

Motherboard. First time I'll be going AMD in like 10 years so I have no idea who the best vendor to go with these days.

Fuck miners.

All vendors are fine except Asscock.
The popular cases nowadays is the P400s and S340. Can't go wrong with them but the 400C is good too.

So just start from scratch? Is it really more cost effective to just start completely over?

PSU is fine if you are going low-end.
HDD is fine.
Case is fine.
Scrap the CPU, RAM, Mobo and GPU. Unless you are okay with your current GPU.

Hey, guys. What would you recommend for a architecture student? I need my PC to work in 3dmax and AutoCAD.

My problem with cases these days is the front intake is always obscured and the NZXT cases seem to leave very little room for front intake. The room my PC will be in gets very hot so I need good air flow for sure. The 400C seems to have bigger vents on the front for intake which is why I went with it but there's like 2 fans in the thing so I'll have to buy more.

OK so apparently X370 has more PCI lanes, 8 vs. 6. That's not important, right?

Also, any recommendations on the PSU? Good PSU vendors? Good wattage? Anything?

We are here to advice you. You need to research a little and make your own build/budget. We don't like spoonfeeding, there are plenty of sites that spoonfeed you premade builts i.e. logical increments.

You can leave the front intake completely open during heavy load.

>That's not important, right?
It is if you want need more PCI stuff on your mobo.

>Also, any recommendations on the PSU?
High end corsair, EVGA, Seasonic

I overclocked my 4690k to 4.2. Why does it say 5?

PCI is GPUs, SSDs, what else? Does memory use those lanes?
>EVGA
Right, people praised that. What about watts, 650 is enough, considering I'm not going to sit forever with R7 240 and will OC a bit?

Sound cards. Network cards. SLI/X-fire. Capture cards. TV tuner cards. Etc.

650w is more than enough for any single GPU build unless you are stupid enough to buy cards like FE or FuryX.

>PCI is GPUs, SSDs, what else? Does memory use those lanes?
ram doesn't use them but yes, gpus do. some storage types use them but they are mostly for gpus and extension cards, like networking, wireless (wifi/bluetooth), and raid cards

>what about watts
put a pc together with pcpartpicker and it will tell you the estimated wattage. 500-700 is usually good enough for most but I got an 850 because it was 5 dollars more than the 500 model I was looking at

Glitch with Microsoft. Check this out.

>Preferably for less than $200/$300
Grab a Ryzen (hex-core or better) CPU/RAM/mobo deal and move everything else over. Start saving again and grab a GPU when prices return to sanity.

I was planning on either buying a 1080 (possibly even Ti) when the time is right or maybe even waiting for Volta.

Oh yes, those cards. I see. Yeah, seems like B350 is enough, no need to go for X370. That'll save some cash.
> it will tell you the estimated wattage
Well, it says 209, so I guess I'll go for 650 or so.

>That's not important, right
It completely depends. Those PCI-E lanes are literally the reason to buy X370 over B350. If you need dual GPUs, X370 (although if you're serious you may want to wait for threadripper because X370 will only do eight lanes each). If you need m.2 NVME storage and bothPCI-E x16 slots, X370. If you need more than six total SATA drives, X370. Otherwise, B350.

pcpartpicker.com/list/g6GnvV

This is my build so far. It seems so much harder now that I actually know shit about building. What could be improved?

Reusing PSU, GPU, and a few drives so I don't need them. The main focus for the computer is video editing, editing photographs and using GIMP, making music, occasionally gaming. I'm on Linux if that makes any difference.

Here are the questions:
1) Is this ram actually worth it? Also not sure if it's actually samsung b die or not but for the price I think it probably is
2) I want to edit videos and run Ableton Live and wonder if 16 GB would be enough or should I just give up my shekels and go for 32?
3) I have a Define R4 right now and could probably save some money instead of getting the case. I want a smaller one with decent drive space, is there really a better option than this?

No, no, no. Yeah, cool, B350 it is. See, that's the kind of stuff I posted the build for. Thanks!

>Is this ram actually worth it?
check the mobo manufacturer's qvl list for ram and check to see if it's actually on there first or you're gonna fuck yourself out of 300 plus burgers

like the discussion in the thread, do you really need x370 or would b350 be sufficient

Oh, right - one more thing I wanted to ask, Samsung EVO 960 250Gb, it's one of the cheapest m.2 SSDs available for me, Tom's Hardware trashed it but other reviews I've seen are good, anybody here has it? How's it?

RPCS3 runs quite a bit better thanks to more cores
CEMU runs worse, but nearly everything runs without slowdowns anyway
Dolphin runs perfectly fine
PCSX2 also runs fine

I like my Dell
Really nice colors and runs at 72Hz just fine

Thats just a bug

>check the mobo manufacturer's qvl list for ram and check to see if it's actually on there first or you're gonna fuck yourself out of 300 plus burgers
That's probably a damn good idea honestly. I'll do that right now.

>do you really need x370 or would b350 be sufficient
to be honest, they don't really make a difference to me. I'll only be using a single GPU so I'm not worried about the x16 lanes. I like this board for a few autistic reasons: has wifi and bluetooth built in, has TWO, FUCKING TWO PS2 ports, two m.2 slots and a few PCIE slots for extra peripherals that i might add.

>has wifi and bluetooth built in
i would actually see this as a downside, as the case would act as an inhibitor
plus direct wired connection is the easiest/best way to go, even if you need to buy a separate router just to bridge them

corsair h60 for watercooling?

Such motherboards normally come with an antenna you screw into the port and then put somewhere else instead of being inside the case.

I'm always hooked up through LAN. All my computers have been and it'll probably stay that way. But the MB does come with external antenna that connect through the I/O pannel.

However if I ever travel and can't find a plug, at least I know i'll be covered. I mostly want the bluetooth connectivity to transfer stuff to my phone. Also the whole wireless module works through an m.2 slot so you can take it out if you don't want the functionality or risk.

can someone recommend me a decent, cheap gpu to sit in on my build until the prices of mid range cards cool down?
just has to be better than a Radeon HD 7800
but at most $100 since its just temporary (I think, the miners will leave soon, wont they?)

Go look up 2nd hand GPUs, that is your best bet.

>Also the whole wireless module works through an m.2 slot so you can take it out if you don't want the functionality or risk.
man that's pretty sick forget what I said, get that shit

Looks solid to me

Also a big fan of my Dell. Decent factory calibration, panel OC's to 72-75Hz, good stand/build quality.

I don't have it, but having looked into it quite a bit previously the only reason Tom's Hardware trashed it is on price/perf, and the fact that in terms of write performance it is basically a different SSD to the 1TB model. If you don't care about workstation/server heavy random write workloads, and it's cheap where you are, I'd go for it.

That Asrock board isn't actually an 8+4 phase VRM
Its a 4+2 with more components

I'm sorry, I'm retarded. What does that mean?

Okay, thanks. They praised some MyDigitalSSD model, which is a really cute name, but sadly is not available where I live.

Trying to find a good PCIE wifi adapter that has 5 Ghz and bluetooth
willing to sacrifice bluetooth but I want that 5Ghz and im a poorfag with like 40$

Daytrader guy here again from last thread.
I made my build.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HQzpsJ

See any problems, or do you think I over-did one thing or another?
A question regarding GPU's.
I currently only have one DVI monitor, while both accept VGA.
The GPU has HDMI and DVI, but no VGA's.
I've heard that the motherboard DVI/VGA slots are disabled when you put in a graphics card, is this always true, or is it untrue?
Essentially, can I skimp and get one GPU, or would it have any problematic effects throwing in a super-garbage $15 leftover GPU that has a VGA input?

Also, is there any benefit to a Micro ATX vs a regular ATX mob if both fit in the case and have the same ram?
There'd be no reason to get the micro if they have the same slots (2GPU, 4ram, etc), correct?

Worse power delivery than an actual 8+4 phase design
But it should be perfectly fine, even if you're running overclocked to 4Ghz

The RAM price gouging is insane at the moment. Personally I'd live with the 16GB for as long as you can, in the hopes that prices go down in future.

Gigabyte GTX 1080 for 500 dollary doos.

Should I spring for it?

500 dollars 1080 is almost always going to be blower fan. If you are okay with that why not?

Well the retail price is 650. Would it still be a blower fan?

>I've heard that the motherboard DVI/VGA slots are disabled when you put in a graphics card, is this always true, or is it untrue?
Always true, if your cpu has integrated graphics your gpu overrides them and forces you to use it's slots.

>Also, is there any benefit to a Micro ATX vs a regular ATX mob if both fit in the case and have the same ram?
They are both functionally the same, but a regular atx mobo might have more features than a micro atx such as more pci slots and more sata slots.

at least give a model and not just the manufacturer

Can't you look at the product listing?

Ok sorry its the GTX 1080 G1 Gaming model. Any other information thats needed?

Oh I see. I wasn't honestly planning on OC at the moment but I'll keep that in mind for the future to monitor how much I push the components. I'm also pairing it with a EVGA 970.

I'm really thinking of going that route. At the same time, it might not get better and finding another 16GB set might be more than the original. I should have gotten ready to build when pre-Ryzen.