Fug. I'm building a raspberry pi battery powered laptop

Fug. I'm building a raspberry pi battery powered laptop.

Other urls found in this thread:

dasungtech.com/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBcvWuWw_w
amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXX9OYO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
essentialscrap.com/eink/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Congrats. Be ready for minimal, 90's era performance on sub-optimal hardware.
Be ready to overclock, and read all of the documentation on over-clocking.
It won't really run 44 hours if you're serious.

You're going to spend as much building this as you are for a shitty throw away laptop.

Good luck running an LCD display of any resolution and brightness on AA batteries.

I really hope you are not using the Model A+.
Model B at least.

One idea I've had is building one with 2 screens together.
One screen will be an e-ink screen, underneath the LCD touchscreen.
I can use e-ink for basic status stuff, or keeping some simple data on-screen for long periods of time.
Then only use the LCD for high-fidelity requirements.
Have a button that can grey-scale mirror the current LCD buffer to e-ink. I'd probably write that mirroring function myself so I can have control over the greyscaling of the screen more. (especially the dithering)

Delivery date: never.

When they removed the VGA they got rid of one of the best features of the raspberry pi. Overclocking is essentially one line in the config file. Using the A+ is completely fine contrary to what anybody says, pic related

Honestly if you're going to spend the cash, spring for the pi 3 (duh).

So? My Pi build will be smaller than any laptop and it won't cost 700 bucks like that gay GPD pocket netbook. Also my overclocked RPI2 plays youtube and runs Firefox just fine. I need a portable SSH machine desu.

7 inch display should eat around 460mA.

"Smaller than a laptop"
"Firefox and YT"

Literally any phone or chink-shit tablet will do this and are already smaller than a laptop.

Would be better off hooking a media player and an intercept script to load Youtube URLs inside of it.
So you could have a script monitoring the clipboard or network connections (a local proxy), whenever it sees a youtube link / request, pipe it through to the media player instead.

It's Youtube without the shitty website.
RSS reader + all your subs gets away from the shitty video browsing interface as well. (especially when it doesn't fucking show you everything)

I just did the URL-in-clipboard interception method. (well, on Windows at least)
It's sad that a fucking RPi is stronger than my old netbook at running a modern webpage, never mind Youtube and shitty HTML5 with its horrific lack of hardware acceleration support.

What about them thinkpad keyboard and battery life longer thsn 6 hours?

>I just did the URL-in-clipboard interception method
Why? On raspberry pi you can install a plugin into chromium to grab links from youtube and open them in Omxplayer.

Really? Well shit son, that's a lot simpler.
Going to go find it.
I never even thought to fucking check that.

Cancer like this is why raspberry pi is impossible to get ahold of whenever they launch new models

Fucking normies plugging in a usb keyboard and calling themselves hackers instead of doing any kind of actual embedded applications

Get yourself an Android phone with a keyboard and fuck off

install omxplayergui from kweb browser package. You can resize that player and move omxplayer window around. best

Actually normies don't tend to get them early at all.
They tend to wait until there are super cool guides on [insert normie-tech site] so they can follow it step-by-step.

Most of the people that get them early are actual electronics hackers that want to fuck around with it, review it and see if it actually has any worth for any projects they have.
The latter part is the one that annoys me more, they should be able to look at the damn specs sheet and see if it would fit their project or not.
Takes literally a few minutes to read at a slow pace.
Most of the time they even say what they can run for reference.

I got it early and use as a lightweight desktop replacement.

god damb if that isn't one of the comfiest things i've seen on here- assuming this is yours, what keyboard have you got there?

>$20 computer
>$10 monitor, if not fished from the literal trash
>$300 mechanical keyboard

thanks friend, I was just really high and wanted to see if the A+ could handle DWM. it's a Sony Trinitron and they keyboard is a vortex core. It's good for typing words and nothing else. god forbid you gotta use any sort of punctuation or operators.

you nailed it rofl

e-ink would be pretty cool for a terminal-only setup, probably about as responsive as an 80s/90s monochrome lcd

ere, fuck the haters your setup is legendary- i'm in the market for an itty bitty sub 11 inch mechanical to use with a surface pro, but I doubt I'll ever amount to the same strata of comfort you appear to reside upon, certainly not without that fucking kawaii trinitron.

Yep. That's one of the reasons why I would be doing it, so I can have easy access to changing stuff without the burden of a backlight being required.
Ideally if I could, I would also have a backlight switch for the e-ink that is just low-light enough to read in darkness but not blinding.
Will require a lot of experimenting.

Equally trying to find similar sized screens will be a task.
Don't need to be exact, I can easily only draw at offsets to align the screens. (TVs and monitors already do that now to get around defects at edges)
Resolution won't be a huge issue either since they'll both have different use-cases.
The screen mirroring thing will mainly be for static content, so say I was following a diagram or map, hit the mirror button, it's on the e-ink.
For those sorts of things, I would likely write a program to allow large scroll-jumps instead of slow-scrolls like you would get if you finger-scroll or mouse-drag.
It'd segment media in to virtual pages. Prevents wearing the e-ink display down, or dealing with the slower refresh speeds.
Mind you, my body is likely to wear away quicker than the e-ink display. F

It's pretty fun. I set it up with links and irssi+slack so it's enough to browse hateful comments and talk to my friends in our slack team. some days i don't wanna come home and sit in front of my dual screen or open my laptop so this is handy to just turn on the screen.

What's better for practicing writing embedded programs in C, the Pi or Arduino?

the Arduino if you ask me

the Pi if you ask me

I want something like the dasung paperlike maybe

dasungtech.com/

Shit's a 13" e-ink display that's supposed to be a fair bit more responsive than e-reader stuff and has hdmi input so it'd probably be easy to hook up to an rpi for comfy "early 90s laptop" feels

With the price being asked for that display though, I'll probably just hook up to one of my spare LCDs to play around with

Kinda miss writing code for shitty hardware, like when I grew up in the 90s

I'd look into building a 18650 pack with one of the DIY holders. 8 2500mah 18650's would power a PI for a month if 4 AA can for 44 hr.

Man, I used to have one of those old Vtech business laptops before they went full child hardware. (and reduced the screens to fucking stupid levels)

That's where I learned BASIC for the first time.
At the grand old age of 9.
By 10 I made a printable and "encryptable" database.
Made a little text adventure within a year of that.
Then an accident left its screen shattered. RIP.
I'm not sure where it even is. I don't remember binning it, but I also can't find some other old stuff that was boxed up when moving rooms.
I want to fix it and probably even mod it.

Still got an old Psion PDA.
Going to write a multi-purpose editor in it and "delete" the other ones. (unlink them really)
3-tone screen. The best.

Get a 6 inch nook simple touch, root it, hack the display and connect to it via VNC. In video, various screen refresh modes.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBcvWuWw_w

>single 700MHz low IPC ARM CPU core
>256MB RAM
Also those 44 Hrs are not including the display which by itself consumes ~5 watts just being turned on. This is why you see laptops fitted with ~50 Whr batteries.

4 AA batteries only provide ~3Whr btw.

That's only the pi though. How is he gonna power his lcd display?

This is why you take a 2-tier approach.
Standby circuit powered by a small Arduino.
The rest by the Pi.

Bonus points if you actually wire the fucking RAM up to the Arduino in such a way to keep its contents active as well.
Doing something like that would be neat, but actually dealing with the messages and dual connections and such would be a pain.
Plus, also dealing with the Pi's embedded RAM.

I have a load of 2tb usb3.0 drives.

Is it worth getting a pi to make a NAS using raid 5, or will it be too slow?

>pi usb nas
dont do this user
all the USBs and ethernet share bandwidth so good luck pulling shit over the network

just cut power to the lcd with a switch user

I have 7x 2tb usb drives, whats the best way to turn them into storage?

Na, the bandwidth is fucking atrocious with a Raspberry Pi.

I'm not sure of the bandwidth on the various other small computers.
I think OrangePi had a reasonably decent bandwidth, but I cannot say for certain.

That too. But if you are maximizing the shit out of those batteries, there are crazier things like that you could do.
You'd need to fuck around with your OS to prevent it from overwriting the RAM on boot.
Then make it detect if there is memory active beyond the initial bootup memory offsets. If yes, assume an image of last sessions RAM is active. If not, boot as normal.

buy real hardware pleb. pi is good for nothing that requires heavy io

i dont know user, ive never really used usb hdds

you could just plug them all into a usb hub and plug that into a better sbc rather than raspi
unless you are ok with voiding their warranty (dont be a bitch) and then just putting them in a cheap c2d or i3 shitbox

real hardware being x86 shit, right
doubt the nas would be used heavily enough that x86 would be required for daily use
can always offload parity calculation and the like to something more powerful

bandwidth is the problem

yeah i think one of the less cheap orange pis has gigabit ethernet, if it can support that then you probably wont run into bandwidth issues

yeah, but can it run Crysis?

You're allowed to build stuff for fun no matter how pointless it is, mate.

bump

Which powerbank will power on both RPI2 and the 7 inch display?

i can't remember if the pi's gpio outputs 3.3 or 5v but if the display takes that you can always just run it straight off the pi's power

look again, that 8AA
still a good point on 18650s, but then you're essentially building a regular laptop battery
six should do it while not being too bulky

using ipad 2048x1536 lcd right
or maybe eink for some primo comfy terminal

Nah, you cant. You can power the display and then use USB cable to power PI from the display. But it's safer to just get a powerbank with 2x 2A 5V usb ports. But I need a good one. I bought a cheap one and it fails to deliver enought power. They simply lied to me on the label.

oh I gotcha. well idk if it's exactly what you're looking for but i've had pretty good luck with these:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXX9OYO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

idk about that brand specifically but those variable power supplies have done me well for little projects.

>This item does not ship to Poland
Awesome

Thanks, I have cancer now.

original and very funny :^)

the one you make yourself will manage that just fine.
use a few decent 18650 cells, a cheap charging/protection circuit and buck converter

alternatively, if you dont have a soldering iron because you're neo/g/ trash, i recommend the qidian q188, which you will need your own cells for

those are only really good for breadboards
can be had on ebay for less
can also get cheaper non-breadboard alternatives on ebay
not that it matters though because it only outputs 3.3v and 5v, only really useful for charging the battery (unless you have a 3.3v lcd, in which case its still shit)

lets through some AIDS on that pile. check out my dope WM

Where can I get a sweater like that? I get really cold while using the computer sometimes.

yeah they're more meant for DIY projects. I'm sure they're cheaper all over the place just using this as a reference. They tend to not fit exactly into actual PCB which can be mildly infuriating. I've been running a Pi that uses an e-ink screen for a terminal it's enough to power that, it's small though.

rofl nice
>tfw lelling at jemaymays on le 4cheddit

it's a poncho, i got it while i was wasted in Mexico. It's extremely comfortable for any situation: sitting, reclining, typing, dancing around a heathen flame. technically you don't even need other clothes with it.

Extremely comfy, going to look for something similar. Snuggy was another one that looked good.
My arms just need to be open so that I can type, but keep me warm.

That what needed to be said.

the real advantage of this poncho is that the material is thick wool, but the sides are open. you can wear it if it's hot or cold out. Also, when I go out people give me a wide birth because they can't tell exactly what I'm all about.

>90's era performance
Maybe if you run RISCOS
if you run Linux it's even worse.

I'll look for some ponchos then, thanks mate! Comfy looking setup ya got going also.

'Fun' is a buzzword used by unintelligent losers that will never amount to anything

3.3v or 5v for the eink display
plain usb is fine for 5v
i guess you're plugging into the wall though so I get it

of course it doesnt really fit into pcbs, its for breadboards

I was thinking about doing this a while back but powering it with a 10 000 mAh power bank and 10 inch 1280x800 screen, but I'm too lazy to find a good way to mount it in some kind of portable case. Aliexpress has some good Raspberry Pi displays.

Enjoy your proprietary blobs with the nonfree system you are building.

>raspberry pi
>not assembling your own PCB from scratch
>not carving out copper in the mountains and smelting it in a charcoal furnace of your own design

step it up, senpai

what about the silicon user
do you fab your own microchips using silicon you mined yourself (so its free)?

I still use then with PCB's I just usually wire and mount it lol. you can buy the little rechargeable battery packs and they can plug into some of the leads to supply power or you can have these charge something onboard but yeah for the most part i just plug into usb when i'm using it

it's P fun for browsing the chans and talking on irssi but not much else :-p DESU half the time I have my SNES plugged into that trinitron for some retro gayming.

gif related, i made a physical twitch plays interface for muh SNES. I know everybody here hates it when somebody just plugs a keyboard into a pi and calls it a day so i figure i'll show it being used for something halfway interesting

aaaaaaand my gif resolution is garbage. last time i try to convert from .mov on the fly with ffmpeg

Where did you get that monitor? It's real nice. I would use it for retro consoles also!

>I know everybody here hates it when somebody just plugs a keyboard into a pi and calls it a day
It's your money, you can do whatever the fuck you want.

user why did you use gif and not webm

Sorry I'm not as much of a high-class intellectual as you are, user.

I got it off ebay. i was actually really pissed when i got it because it has a crack in the display that wasn't listed

i didn't know I could do .webm with ffmpeg i'll totes do that next time. i do that when I use peek

Ha! This deserves a separate thread in near future.

that looks great dude. I didn't even think to do a WM I just had a terminal going in mine. its a lot nicer looking than I thought it would be. did you do anything to greyscale or just loaded as is?

Nope, haven't used any screen mode hacks.
I can if you want to.
I'm the dev and shit. Only two of them would really make any difference on a still picture.

i've been reading this:
essentialscrap.com/eink/

trying to see if I can use SPI or I2C to drive an e-ink off an arduino. I've done OLED stuff.

any good resources for driving e-ink? also that screen is nice did you re-purpose that off a reader or buy it standalone?

>normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dude, I connected my rooted android Nook Simple Touch to vncserver. That's all.
They are dirt cheap. I got mine for around 30 dollars back in the day.

>yeah i think one of the less cheap orange pis has gigabit ethernet, if it can support that then you probably wont run into bandwidth issues
He means bandwidth between the disk and the SoC, which is kind of important when doing RAID5.

ah ok I see what you're up too :) I wanna make a standalone device that doesn't need the tcp/ip stack. That's a super simple solution though I'd probably do that if I weren't in it for the project

>instead of doing any kind of actual embedded applications
Why would anyone sane use a Pi for embedded apps?

I am aware.
Home raid is dumb unless you absolutely need throughput though.

It'd certainly be more of endeavor to write something embedded for the Pi than it would for the ATMega328 ROFL

at least he'll be free of the ME / PSP

>samefag
let it be known that I love Lisp but once I learned about forth that is the only non-compiled language i'll run on an ATMega328 now

the hardest part is apparently getting the keyboard and trackpad to work

how often do you play vidya on this? i assume emulators look great

I am blessed enough to still have all my SNES/NES games and consoles so I don't have to emulate anything :-D but yes emulators look great! it's VGA! I pity anybody trying to play retro games on an hi resolution screen. People don't understand that the fuzz softens the pixels into their intended form.

Hear me out Sup Forums, if you are emulating retro games you should not be seeking out over-powered hardware. these games were built in such a beautiful resource-aware way and require almost nothing to run. they hiccup when you put them through crazy cpu cycles. the A+ is an ideal platform to play these old games on. I know it sounds crazy but in some cases the fastest SoC only introduces new problems. Stop killing your childhood by playing these games on HDMI

Did you end up fixing that crack? I may try and buy one, but only if I can get it for a good price.

Good investment OP

no it's still there but it hasn't really gotten worse. I'm not too worried about it--i'm not gonna try and resell at any point. I'll either just coax it shut by melting it with an old soldering tip or just put some plastic cement in the crack and call it a day.

I bet you're great at parties

>melting it with an old soldering tip
Don't.

>plastic cement
That may work.

i'm probably not describing the process well enough I don't actually put the tip right on the plastic that's asking for problems. You can actually easily solder plastic cracks back together though believe it or not--it's all in the hips. it doesn't look great though thats for sure, that'd be why i do the cement