/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-600
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro
strawpoll.me/10478477/r
ebay.com/itm/Douk-Audio-Digital-to-Analog-Audio-Converter-DAC-Decoder-Optical-Coaxial-USB-/281794919414?hash=item419c493bf6:g:hRoAAOSwWnFV76Fa#rwid
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

You have a nice, neutral, transparent setup, user.

>$300 or less, preferably less, would go an extra $50 for something worth it
>USA
>Asus Xonar Essence STX
>Full sized, over the ear only
>Closed
>Max comfy or bust, I wear these things nearly all day
>Warm to neutral

That was the intent of the setup. Wouldn't want my setup to mess with umi's voice.

>closed
Are you 300% sure? Just as an extra check, what are the constraints that force you to compromise and go closed?

I'm aware of the drawbacks but I like (and a good bit of time need) the extra isolation due to noise in the house and to not disturb others. Were my living situation different I'd be open all the way.

>Budget
£150-400 (Although I prefer to go for relative value for money)
>Location
Britbong-land
>Source
Directly into onboard audio on my PC, would potentially be interested in a DAC/AMP but ideally would like something that can still work decently without one
>Type of headphone
Over-ear, open (purely for home use)
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to wear all day
>Sound signature
Somewhat neutral as I listen to all genres (electronic, rock, metal, rap, classical crossover, etc), although I want something that's kinda fun-ish, not completely cold analytical
>Past headphones
ATH-M50S, been using them for about 6 years or so, and I plan on using these at work (as they're closed), but want something a bit better for home use.

Recently I've been looking at Hifiman's HE400i and HE400s, as I'm quite intrigued in getting planar magnetics for my next headphone. I know Sup Forums seems to be a 2 horse race between Sennheiser and Beyer shills, so this might be the wrong place to ask; but how do these headphones rate against the best at this price point? Anyone tried them and have any (unbiased) feedback about them?

You're pretty much describing HD600 there.

The big issue with Hifiman seems to be build quality.

For reference I'm using a pair of Shure SE-215 IEMs right now, the amount of isolation is almost perfect, though maybe a little too heavy with Comply foam inserts. I'm just sick of sticking shit -in- my ears and want to go back to full-sized cans.

You seem to want something on the higher end of closed. I unfortunately don't know any; It's not helpful that past a certain price point, most headphones are open.

>Budget
around 200€ but i am flexible
>Location
Austria
>Source
For my laptop and phone mainly.
>Type of headphone
full-sized over ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
high, i listen to a ton of music for long periods of time
>Sound signature
neutral
>Past headphones
70€ marshall IEMs
thanks in advance anons

DT250 80 ohm

400i is very good and the bass sounds remarkably clean. If you don't find your m50s too sharp you should find the 400i to be fine as well. Note that bass by default is very neutral and you'll have to EQ it up if you want a more "fun" sound.
I'd suggest getting them from Amazon so you don't have to worry about the QC. If you get a dud you can get it replaced immediately.

Also DT250 80 ohm. These headphones are the DT770's terribly unappreciated, vastly superior cousin. Much more reasonable treble output while still very comfortable.

massdrop is selling more of the HD 6XX right now
if anyone is interested

>ETA: Christmas 2017

They need a different color way. Fuck that disgusting cheap looking dark blue plastic.

>Beyerdynamic
>Reasonable treble

DT = Dangerous Treble

rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-600

rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro

>DT 990 Pro is rated better in all usage categories than the HD 600

>b-b-but rtings is """inaccurate"""

I fully acknowledge that the majority of Beyer's line has way too much treble but the DT250 is an exception to this.

"exception"

>rtings

It has a modest bass boost and some modest treble peaking, which combine to give it an overall well-balanced sound. The treble isn't ear-rapey like DT770/880/990/1990. Please stop shitposting.
Please stop shitposting. I don't take sides; both sides in this shit-flinging war need to knock it off.

>majority of Beyer's line has way too much treble
For you, maybe. Majority of Beyer's line has the right amount of treble if you're looking into bright headphones that aren't afraid of giving the music a bit more spark.

>Yes yes goy, only trust reviews from unbiased an impartial websites like InnerFidelity

InnerFidelity's opinion matches the general opinion of the internet. It's not bias, it's truth.

It's WTF how they manage to have the highest overall level peak always in the treble area.

Satania a cute. A cute!!

>not posting the original poll
>Sennshills have to go this far to try and show off

Sad! Many such cases also seen on /r/headphones and Head-Fi!

Guys I'm having trouble deciding between a Sennheiser HD 598 SR and an Audio Technica ATH-AD700X. From what I've read they're both pretty good (assuming the AD700X is the same as the AD700 except the color), and I'm having trouble deciding.
Does anyone have any feedback on the AD700X?
Which one should I get if both are around the same price?

Real fucking mature.
strawpoll.me/10478477/r

?

lmao snappmonkeys btfo once again

Yeah I figured there wouldn't be a whole lot since after about $100-$150 you get into "audiophile" stuff. Thanks, though.

I'll give them a look, thanks, user.

>AD700X
Absolutely zero bass.

>hifiman
>no grados

shit poll

>Absolutely zero bass.

At least it's preparing user for a future """upgrade""" to the no bass HD 600

Hola.

Further down the results.

Yesterday's thread was so much better without the autistic anti-Sennheiser troll shitting all over it like this.

Why not rename this thread Sennhesier General if all you do is to shit all over anything that isn't the HD 600?

>$1k DT 880 treble ear rape cannons

HD598 SR have a slightly warm sound and ATH-AD700X have a slightly cold sound. You may find the AD700X to be lacking in bass and you may find the HD598 SR to have a bit too much midbass. It's up to you whether you want to err on the side of too much midbass or not enough bass in general; whether you'd prefer a warm or cold sound. They're apples and oranges.
This board is honestly the worst place on the internet to ask for advice involving Sennheiser in any way because of our resident shitposter.

From what I've read the bass is pretty weak but accurate. Since I'm not a fan of boom-boom I thought it wasn't a problem (on the contrary even). Is the bass so weak that it is a major problem?

>This board is honestly the worst place on the internet to ask for advice involving Sennheiser in any way because of our resident shitposter.

Wow, it's like I'm in /hpg/ 4 years ago.

You can't deny that the HD 800 has the same shitty treble problems as the DT 880

You're not funny.

>Sup Forums is serious business!

>From what I've read the bass is pretty weak but accurate.
It has a substantial bass rolloff starting at 200 Hz according to this measurement. ~-6 dB at 40 Hz isn't accurate, it's bass-light. Again, it's up to you whether to err on the side of not enough bass or too much midbass. I wouldn't describe the HD598 SR as "boom boom" either; far from it. It has a small midbass boost intended to keep the bass and sub-bass from falling off a cliff like it does on most of Audio Technica's open headphones. There's an inherent compromise with open dynamics: either you boost the midbass or you accept sub-par lower bass performance.

Thanks

This. They both have way, way too much treble.

If anyone is interested in finding out what the HD 800 or DT 880 sounds like, just use these eq settings.

For comparison, HD598 shows a small 2.5 dB midbass boost here, and a 2.5 dB difference between 40 Hz and 200 Hz response, demonstrating much better low bass extension than the AD700X. It's up to you whether 2.5 dB of midbass is too much, "boom boom," etc.
I also must note that the 8-10 kHz response on appears problematic to me. I think a headphone has major problems when any part of its response is louder than the ~3 kHz ear canal resonance which is supposed to be there on the raw measurement. You may find that treble peak to be harsh and grating on the ears. You may also find the HD598 SR to have not enough treble. I'm not trying to steer you in either direction; just giving you what I perceive as the truth. It's your call, based on your own subjective preferences.

Lol wtf so Sennheiser has no soundstage?

What's funny is that the HD600's supporters here routinely bash the hell out of the HD800 yet the Snapheiser troll calls them Sennshills, which is absurd.

Also, is the impedance of the HD 598 SR fine for a motherboard audio chip without an amp?
My current headphones are around 32 ohm, which is roughly the same as the AD700X, but it seems the HD 598 SR is around 60 ohm with a spike above 250 ohm around 100 Hz.

HD600/HD650 have narrow soundstage but that isn't necessarily a bad thing and is a matter of preference. Some people enjoy exaggeratedly wide AKG-style soundstage and some people hate it.
Also, contrary to popular belief, wide soundstages do not create greater positional accuracy in video games, with or without virtual surround. Virtual surround works just fine on zero-soundstage IEMs.
Soundstage is entirely a matter of personal preference and, for those of you who haven't heard headphones with both narrow and wide soundstages, I'd urge you to make no assumptions as to which you'd prefer when making buying decisions, and I'd urge you to audition headphones with wide and narrow soundstages before making buying decisions as well.

HD598 SR can be driven just fine with onboard sound. Impedance isn't the only factor in determining how difficult a headphone is to drive; sensitivity is also a factor.

ebay.com/itm/Douk-Audio-Digital-to-Analog-Audio-Converter-DAC-Decoder-Optical-Coaxial-USB-/281794919414?hash=item419c493bf6:g:hRoAAOSwWnFV76Fa#rwid

Is it a good DAC?

>$199
>shipping to us: free
>shipping to my 3rd world country
>$15

Is this real life? This can't be true right?

Alright thanks for the feedback. Good day to you user.

meep

I have no problems with mine because a small notch filter takes care of the problem. These days I no longer use any equalization because the SDR mod is more than enough.

Third for HD600 have no headstage.

Anyone that can reccomend a

>I am selling my Sennheiser HD600 and want to grab a dac/amp for my PC.
Have you tried your HD600 with a proper dac/amp?
Your question suggests not.
Anyway, with your budget, look into Fulla2 or DAC-X6.

>desk mics

I used the HD600s with a Fulla

The fulla2 kinda falls short at the higher end of the volume knob. I'd expect fulla1 to be insufficient.
I suggest trying them with your new dac/amp before making rash decisions.

I'd rather just sell it to someone that will run it right and use that money to better my setup.

Prioritizing source over transducers is always a mistake.

Listen to:
And, honestly, if you're that scrapped for money, you should focus on saving some for a rainy day, not buying new gadgets.

>I want to sell my headphones that need an amp and buy an amp for my other headphones that don't need an amp
Logic fail. You should really rethink this.

If you're pushing your HD600 to that sort of volume level either you've got some retarded EQ preset or you're blowing out your ears. Seriously, even on quiet recordings 75% is more than enough.

In the years I've been on /hpg/ I've come to the conclusion that Sup Forumsentlemen have widely varying opinions on what is loud enough.

The universal loud enough is the threshold for hearing damage. Go any louder and you're just being a retard.

There's safe limits for listening duration at levels beyond the threshold for hearing damage. I personally enjoy 90+ dB listening for less than an hour at a time. Some people also simply don't give a fuck at all, and while this may be ill-advised, they still have a right to their preference.

What are the comfiest headphones?

beyerdynamics

HD800, MDR-MA900

As a moral human being, I cannot endorse or recommend self destructive practices. 90db is safe for around an hour or so. I'd say that 90db should be the maximum volume anyone should care about, ignoring stuff like quieter recordings.

>Seriously, even on quiet recordings 75% is more than enough.
I do agree. And I use my HD600 with the magni2 at low gain, and seldom go past 10 o'clock. Except, on some videogames, on most anime, etc. I actually have to go past 12 o'clock, because of really low mastering volume.

Most people here wear headphones for hours on end.

What do you fags think of the Meze 99 Classics? They seem really well constructed with good sound, and I have a massive hardon for wood. If I want wood in the construction are there better choices?

HD800 is pretty much unbeatable in the comfort department. They don't even heat up in the summer months with prolonged use.

what if i listen to 115db for 31 seconds? do i go deaf?

>Budget
about 100€
>Location
Germany
>Source
directly to the PC or mobile
>Type of headphone
over ear
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
very high. I basically use headphones 24/7
>Sound signature
neutral, but prefer bass
>Past headphones
Superlux HD681 (have these since 2013 or longer)

I am searching for some wireless headphones. I have the Audition aptX in mind but I'm not sure.

Guys should i upgrade my dt770 for HD 598? would i feel the difference?

About the same effect as listening to DT990 at normal levels.

>would i feel the difference?
They're polar opposites. HD598 is a great compliment to DT770 since it's so different.

Well i'm new to having good headphones i bought the DT770 a year ago and been happily using them with every piece of tech i get, with the amazon deals today, The HD 598 looks amazing, what sort of differences would i expect to hear between them?

Are there any GOOD headphones that don't look like autistic faggot shit and can actually be worn outside (also they'd have to be able to sit comfortably on the neck or not take too much space in bag)

The HD598 have much more balanced sound. The DT770 exaggerates bass and treble response at the expense of the midrange; HD598 exaggerates neither the bass nor the treble. You'll also probably notice the HD598 being less resonant in the bass since they're open instead of closed.

And should i get a amp or dac with them?