/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - 144hz only
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/H32ktJ
ebay.com/itm/262896694740
arctic.ac/de_de/accelero-xtreme-iii.html
techpowerup.com/235035/intel-pentium-g4560-cannibalizing-core-i3-sales-company-effectively-kills-it?cp=2#comments
pcpartpicker.com/list/RbyHgL
amazon.com/dp/B00NZTKOQI/ref=twister_B01MRVSSRL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B00P0EQD1Q
ebay.com/itm/152610122045
pcpartpicker.com/list/Z6Qhpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/P44J9W
youtu.be/DdldIalZyE4?t=548
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pcpartpicker.com/list/H32ktJ r8

I need to mine cryptocurrency, where is the best place to buy cheap video cards?

BestBuy

Bump

Low budget NAS, 18 TB (Raid 5)

r8

First for cable management is sorcery.
I've built 6 or 7 computers and every time, the cables are too long and bulge the side case if I try to hide them. Even when using a fully modular PSU, the cables have excess connectors. Oh, and there's no chance in hell of routing the PSU mobo cable behind the side cover. It's too damn thicc.
And how the hell should I route the fan cables? They always seem to dangle through the case like vines and the connectors end up sitting at the bottom of the case and it's ugly.

Best hard drive to get? Was gonna get an HGST refurb as it has the best price/gb, but a decent amount of reviews list them as doa or loud. Used WD Blue in the past but they have some of the slower read/write speeds and are overpriced past 1tb drives.

Is Seagate trustworthy now?

I don't know, but with the low price and raid 5, if they start failing fast, i could always replace the failing ones with WD Red and lesson learned

>Seagate Archives
Ditch them unless you're only writing to the RAID array once. Those use SMR platters, which causes excessive write wear. They also slow down to a crawl if you write files larger than the cache portion of the drive or if you try to do multiple write operations to the array.
Those drives are marketed as "Archive" storage because of how shitty and short-lasting SMR drives are for normal usage.

All HDD manufacturers have roughly the same reliability. Just make sure to check your drives before putting them to use. Pre-clear them and do a full format.

Get an actual case not a tinfoil box.

>Ditch them unless you're only writing to the RAID array once.
I'm going to write 300 gb / month, and read 1.5 tb / month. What would you suggest instead if I may ask? You seem to know stuff about disks

Currently have an EVGA GTX 970 and it's doing pretty well. However I'm a linux user and every time I try to use a new distro it just gives me problems on install and I'm tired of it. I'm looking at some AMD cards but wonder which are worth upgrading to for an actual upgrade. The 970 is a little old but still capable. I mostly want it for the OpenCl power and video editing. I'm not using adobe shit, mostly open source, free programs.

Where is the quake machines guide?

why are you doing a disservice to single mom's budgets? stop being evil Sup Forums

Any advice Sup Forums? It's time for me to upgrade and I'm on an 1150 mobo. Do I upgrade to the 1151 or would Ryzen be the way to go? Are there pros and cons to either the newer gen Intels or Ryzens? Or should I wait until Intel responds to Ryzen?

>I'm going to write 300 gb / month
Sequential writes? Or smaller/random writes? If they're largely sequential writes (files larger than 1MB) I think you're fine with SMR drives then, as long as you don't constantly hammer the array with writes. The controller in the SMR drives tend to be smart about where they store data in order to prevent itself from deleting underlying tracks unnecessarily.

No AMD cards are really an upgrade. The RX 580 isn't considerably faster except where the added VRAM is a consideration.
Not that it matters, since you can't buy one anyway.

>No AMD cards are really an upgrade
Used Fiji, nigger

Is this ok for a cheapo ITX PC that I want to use at friend's houses for LAN parties? I already own a spare GTX 960 which I was going to use as the GPU.

No, I'll only recommend an FM2+ CPU to people who are trying to learn how to overclock.
Bentium G4560 and an H110 or B250 motherboard.

The Fury is not only a power-guzzling behemoth, but also barely worth considering. The performance is around 1070 level.
Unless you are VRAM starved, you'd be looking at a 1080, possibly RX Vega (assuming it's a better showing than FE) for a notable performance bump over a 970.

Again, not that it matters, since even Fury is also impossible to find at a price worth buying.

>filename

Is overclocking hard? I am newb at computers and overclocking.

Specifically the 1700 which I am thinking to pair with a NH-D15?

It's a bunch of file, once a week, every file is 80-90 MB. For the httpd logs I have the ssd. Actually, I could mount the whole array as read only, and remount it to rw once a week to deposit my new files

16GB single stick or dual 8GB sticks

It used to be a little harder 5 years ago or so, especially AMD CPU's which let you modify 1000 different values. Both Intel and Ryzen are incredibly easy nowadays though, just follow any guide on the internet.

Always get two sticks so you can utilize double data rate.

>Actually, I could mount the whole array as read only, and remount it to rw once a week to deposit my new files
Do it, although you may need an SSD cache to speed things up a bit

r8 my fully free as in freedom librebootable build:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q660
RAM: The 8 GB of dell ram that I have in my Optiplex. (half dell half some other kind)
Video Card: No videi card. (I'm not sure what sort of graphics card works with libreboot)
CPU Cooler: Cooler master hyper T2
Storage: 250GB hard drive I got out of an old HP desktop
PSU: Corsair CX550M
Optipical Drive: old one I got out of Optiplex
Case: Not sure. Probally some old one I allready have.

>speed things up
dude I'm putting everything on amazon these days :D :D :DDD

* but the traffic costs are bankrupting me

arigatou.

That CPU doesn't have an integrated gpu. You need a graphics card free boy.

Ok so i got a big discount on an amazon "warehouse deals" used 1080ti, is there any way for me to test whether it's been abused by it's previous owner?
Just overnight stability testing or what? I just don't want it to die on me in a year.
Got it for 660€ btw. Considering new retail ones go for 800-900€ i'm happy with the price.

What type works with absolutely no propietary drivers? Also are you sure it has no graphics? I use a Q660 and a old radeon with no drivers and it works just fine

Pls help fast.

I'm about to buy two GTX 480's for the memes, but do they support Dual Link DVI? I have one of those Korean monitors with no scaler (Qnix QX2710) which will only accept a signal from DVI, if you plug anything else in it just goes through test images. I'm kind of thick about how these work, at the minute I'm running my monitor off a DVI-D port, looks like a 480 only has DVI-I, will it work?

Pic related is the outputs if it helps, thanks.

>two GTX 480's

ebay.com/itm/262896694740
Looks like a good price, should I do it?

would i be able to fit a full sized evga gtx 1070, 600w+ psu and a ryzen micro atx mobo into this case if i remove the cd/dvd drive slot and do some general DIY?

want to move my components to a smaller case so it's more easily transportable and i have this pc case already

So what are the founders editions for the 1070 and 1080? Are they just memes that I should avoid at all costs? They seem relatively cheap online right now.

PSU I'm not sure about, length wise a a GPU like that should fit, it's thickness is what you want to worry about. Looks like the case is only twice the height of an IO shield, if it does fit it will be one hell of a tight fit.

t. once cut up a prebuilt case to put a 7970 in it

They are memes. Unless you have an utterly shit case and need the heat to vent straight out the back, just buy something else.

The S340's default configuration is 2x120mm pre-mounted as rear/top exhaust.

Going for just air cooled, and until I get fans for the remaining two slots, is rear exhaust and front intake a better configuration?

Also, for the new front fans, would it be better to match the CFM of the exhausts by getting 2x120s or getting 2x140s for positive pressure?

You need a mITX or a really rare dual PCIe slot mATX board for that chassis, phampai
only a single slot card will fit in there, since the 16x slot is on the "bottom" of the board, getting in the way of the chassis itself.

You're fucked.

p-pls respond, the listing is about to end on ebay in 10mins.

Better to have push/pull imo.
I'd go for the largest fans the case was meant to mount. Quieter, or more CFM for the same mount.

Going multi-GPU is retarded. I wouldn't do it. You have wonky gains and limited support. And a larger power draw.
I have no idea about DVI.

>Going multi-GPU is retarded
I know, I'm just picking up two cheap meme cards to see if SLI is total garbage or not, I've never used it.

it's about 3.7inches thick from a quick measurement. there is a lot of headroom above the cooler and the cooler is pretty much identical to that ryzen stealth one so no worries there i think.

would something like pic related not fit? it looks almost the same as the current mobo in there in terms of the slot placements. if i remove the cd/dvd drive i should be able to have full sized ram sticks too

Hello everyone, I'm thinking about buying this: arctic.ac/de_de/accelero-xtreme-iii.html
for my pic related. What am I in for? Is it hard to install a new GPU cooler (or remove the reference one from nvidia), or is it about as easy as replaying your CPU cooler?
Also can I use the same thermal paste I used for my CPU?

Are m.2 nvme drives worth it? I'm planning to build a new pc soon to use for video and photo editing. I was thinking about using an m.2 drive for OS and as a scratch disk for premiere and after effects. Will it make editing software run faster than on sata ssd?

>OH NO! We have accidentally made a CPU thats incredibly popular and are selling well everywhere! What should we do?
>Stop the sales!
>Intel

techpowerup.com/235035/intel-pentium-g4560-cannibalizing-core-i3-sales-company-effectively-kills-it?cp=2#comments

>I'm just picking up two cheap meme cards to see if SLI is total garbage or not
Allow me to save you the money: it is, and don't do it. The scaling isn't there, the support isn't there, but the heat and power draw certainly is.
SLI/CF was never good, then or now.

NVME drives are ideal for scratch disks etc because of their immense speed. You would get most out of your build to have a regular SSD for windows and applications, and dedicate the NVME disc as a scratch disk etc.

It's probably wasted time anyway honestly. Just start a mITX build from scratch in one of these super small cases. It's gonna be much less trouble and you'll spend about the same money eventually.
What are you trying to do with it anyway?

Definitely not
The cut-off for the top of the case is right under the second PCIe slot. Look at the gap between the end of that AB350M-HDV board and the second PCIe slot. You can fit another PCIe slot in that gap.
Mini ITX is your best (and - as far as AM4 is concerned, your only) bet

pcpartpicker.com/list/RbyHgL

I don't plan on going past $1100 with my first build. I won't be using this for games, but rather Blender/3dCoat modeling, programming, and Paint Tool SAI stuff. Light video editing as well. The build is Linux-based, and would also be running a RAID 10 setup.

Since this is my first build, I just want to know of anything I should consider getting instead. The GPU I decided to buy just went off of market here, but I have good faith it will come back once this whole "fork 3 more new altcoins every week just to say you own one" fad dies over. Regardless, I'm not the best with GPU's so if i should get something else please let me know.

Also, I need a new monitor and I can't decide between amazon.com/dp/B00NZTKOQI/ref=twister_B01MRVSSRL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 and amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B00P0EQD1Q so help with that would be appreciated too.

>RX560
Good luck.

Do you think it's off the market (affordably) for good?

>What am I in for?

The only other aftermarket air cooler than competes with the raijintek morpheus.

> Is it hard to install a new GPU cooler (or remove the reference one from nvidia),

As long as you RTFM and are methodical sure. Just don't get frustrated it doesn't instantling doesn't disassembly like a replicator hit with a P90 round and use a crowbar.

>Also can I use the same thermal paste I used for my CPU?

Yes.

>What are you trying to do with it anyway?

to be able to take my pc between home and university. i understand that i could just leave my pc at home and use a laptop and a games console as a more optimal setup but i'm not a fan of consoles personally and i also do some premiere pro production on the side as a hobby which would probably kill any cheap laptop other than the really high end macbooks or whatever.

Unfortunately I don't have the budget for another ssd. I can either get 32gb ddr4 ram and one SSD or 16gb and 2 SSD's. Considering that I won't be working with 4k footage that much will nvme make noticeable difference for me?
Right now my planned build is
Ryzen 1700x
32gb 2400 DDR 4
1tb hhd for storage and 250gb ssd for dual booting windows and Linux.

will a mini itx mobo fit in this case with the gpu, you think? i honestly don't mind taking power tools to this thing.

Also how do you deal with nvme drives heating up? And how is they're reliability compared to SATA ssd?

Their*

LianLi TU100 is your friend.
If you don't like that one you can go with the Fractal meme 202 or whatever it's called.
Drop your shit in there and have a blast.

It's not worth it. I forgot to mention that you have half-height PCIe slots. ALL GTX 1050 Tis and up are full-height PCIe or larger.
A half-height GTX 1050 or RX 550 is your only option.

Which GPU can handle 3 4k monitors?

right, ok. thanks for the help.

Last try asking for help then i'll stop.
Does anyone know?

The simple answer is no, there's no easy way of checking.

The chances of anyone doing significant damage to a 1080Ti in the short time it's been released is incredibly small, no one buys a 1080Ti for 24/7 operation like they would, for example, an RX580 or 1060Ti.

Does it have a warranty? Generally if a GPU works for the first week you have it, it should have a pretty good chance of lasting as long as it's serviceable life, but I don't know how I'd feel throwing so much money at something with no warranty.

I've been saying this whole time that Intel wasn't making any money off of the g4560, it was purely a reaction to Ryzen's announcement. Intel was somehow undercutting AMD's FM2+ CPUs with better performance, it didn't add up.

>that build
First off, get Ryzen either the 1600 or 1700 they crush anything intel spews out for the same price in the tasts you're handling.The stock cooler ia good enough, unlike in your build.

Then, you want 4 HDDs on an ITX? are you crazy? Go mATX, don't be a fag. Also many raid setups can be done trough the extra pcie expansion slots. Alsk, with mATX yoi can find 4x8 RAM deals which can be cheaper

You can get 3T ultrastars for like $6 more each.

Get a SSD for the OS and Software (blender, etc)

Get a 550-600W well rated and 80+gold.

That GPU is good, but a 1050-1050ti will do the job if you can't find any.

Above or equal to GTX 1060-RX580. The higher memory variants.

Just need a confirmation, does MSI B250I PRO ITX board support full speed for an SSD such as the 960 EVO?

>1 x M.2 slot (Key M slot on the bottom of the motherboard)
- Supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s

I think this means it does, but i'm kind of sketchy since it's the cheapest B250 ITX.

That was my reasoning as well, that even if someone did buy it for mining only to sell it later, they wouldn't have done significant damage. As far as warranty goes, i'm not sure but i fear not.
Amazon warehouse allows you to give it back free of charge with full refund within two months. It's a gygabyte aorus. They have online warranty signup. Once i receive it i'll see if it's already been used by the previous owner. In that case i'll decide whether to send it back or not.

Yes
B250 has PCIe Gen 3.0 lanes from the chipset (unlike all AM4 motherboard)

Wait, does this mean it won't use any of the physical PCIe lanes?

Also amazon is usually pretty good at explaining what's wrong with an used product.
The description said small imperfections on the surface of the product, that could be a peeled off plastic transparent sticker, and a slightly damaged box. But no missing cd driver or documentation. So idk i'm just hoping it all goes ok.
Worst case i use it for a month and bask in the glory of an actually good card instead of my radeon HD 6970, and return it for full refund.

Yes, the manual for the motherboard states that the lanes for the slot is coming from the chipset, not the CPU's dedicated PCIe lanes.

>It's a gygabyte aorus
Solid card, it's the one I'm using, super quiet under load. Doesn't look too retarded once it's installed either.

Sounds like you don't have a whole lot to lose given the return period, just buy it and see how it goes, if it's shit, return it.

>Then, you want 4 HDDs on an ITX? are you crazy? Go mATX, don't be a fag. Also many raid setups can be done trough the extra pcie expansion slots. Alsk, with mATX yoi can find 4x8 RAM deals which can be cheaper

The ITX i'm getting is built for RAID/NAS setups. though. Kinda don't see the benefit of getting a mATX and having to settle for an expansion slot, because the integrated RAID support that the mobo has promises faster speeds. However, this is my first time, and everything else you said seems right. Thanks, user, I'll try it out.

Any thoughts on the monitors listed? should I get the 16:10 1200p or 16:9 1440p one?

That's actually a godsend for ITX. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for some miracle software but i hadn't fully considered the whole warranty thing until you brought it up and i did some looking into the gygabyte website. Hope all goes well and i am able to register it, if someone bought it and returned it hopefully they didn't go through the trouble to do that.

>Hardware RAID
Pls no.
Software RAID has gotten to the point that the performance differential is functionally irrelevant, while not being a PITA to fiddle around with.

This isn't the best place to ask about NAS. Ask about it in the dedicated NAS threads which occasionally appear.

>hoping for some miracle software
Sadly not, Nvidia has even started hiding the ASIC quality on Pascal cards. I guess because they all overclock the same anyway.

>This isn't the best place to ask about NAS
Nigger, this is a PC Building General (which shouldn't be on Sup Forums anyway, all generals are cancer). NAS are PCs.

How best to build a good NAS requires more distinct knowledge than what is found ITT. Questions of how best to fit the hardware choices for your needs, questions of filesystems, OS, redundancy, plugins, compatibility, best practices, etc. aren't things discussed here.
99% of people who are here have never built a NAS, and aren't interested in anything beyond PC gaming or occasionally editing.

Is this too good to be true? My roommate and I were thinking of splitting the cost, for 450 each.
ebay.com/itm/152610122045
Alternatively, I can't update buy both but Im not interested in SLI

pcpartpicker.com/list/Z6Qhpb
how am I looking now?

EXT4

>fffffffuuuuuuuuck

Pretty good... just why the 1TB SSD? I'd get a 500Gig one and upgrade to a R7 1700.
Also, it's always better to have dual sticks of ram, so 2x8GB will have better bandwith, and you can always drop two extra ones ro get 32GB. Ryzen like fast ram, so look for a 2400-2667 frwquency ram kit, but it's not necessary.

find a 4790/4790k, get another 8gb ram, buy SSD and you'll be set. Too bad you can't get a new graphics card

If this is for actual work rather than fucking around, I'd just go ham and just get a R7 1700.
I strongly disagree with the other poster. You don't need 550W for this build, and could easily manage with 450W. Also, efficiency doesn't determine quality. How efficient you want it to be is up to you.

He's not gaming. The faster RAM doesn't mean much

pcpartpicker.com/list/P44J9W

This is for real work, I've voice actors and everything. So then this should handle everything I want?

I really do want an answer on whether i should get amazon.com/dp/B00NZTKOQI/ref=twister_B01MRVSSRL?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 or amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B00P0EQD1Q

aside from clearance in the case, any reason you're going for a shorter GPU with less cooling?

Hi, Can somebody tell me if this build is compatible/ good or not? I'm working with 900 dollars and this is what i came up with (first build)

the smaller form factor intrigued me, and .the reviews said it was quiet.

shit forgot to add parts:

PU - AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Cooler - Wraith spire cooler
case - NZXT s340
Mobo - MSI B350 Tomahawk amd4 ATX
RAM - Ballistix sport LT 8gb (2 x 4gb) DDR4 2400 MT/s 288 pin
GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4g 4gb
HDD - Toshiba P300 2tb 7,200 RPM SATA III 6gb/s 3.5 HDD
PSU - Corsair CX850M CXM 80 Modular ATX

youtu.be/DdldIalZyE4?t=548

Definitely got some room to work with.

>850W PSU
Also the S340 supports a front mounted radiator for cooling if you want, otherwise you can invest early now with two 120 or 140mm fans.

Get 16GB ram and you'll be good to go.