Last year, I was taken under the wing of an old-school programmer. We'll call him Arnold...

Last year, I was taken under the wing of an old-school programmer. We'll call him Arnold. Arnold was one of the most eccentric people I've ever met. He is a reformed 'hacker', an avid lucid dreamer, and a man with a lot of unpredictable opinions. However you feel about this description, you need to know that Arnold has instilled some values in me that I am very thankful for.

One of the principles Arnold held higher than any other, at least when developing software, is that programs should be lite, fast, and responsive. Unfortunately, he also believed that newer technologies, like jQuery and AJAX were incompatible with this value. If your website is going to be lite, that means trimming as much fat as possible. According to Arnold, that meant jQuery, at a whopping 250 KB, was too big to include in our survey creating application. (I don't think he realized it gets cached in users' browsers.

As I've evolved as a developer, I've become increasingly obsessed with efficiency. To the average layperson, cutting seconds off of a program's run time sounds like a tedious and thankless way to spend your time. But to many programmers, it becomes pretty clear why efficiency matters so much. Milliseconds turn into seconds -- seconds, into minutes. Pretty soon, you find yourself automating your entire job and debating the ethics of whether you need to tell your boss.

One of the biggest harbingers of efficiency in web development is something called AJAX. The basic idea behind AJAX and the reason it can make your web projects so much faster, is something called asynchronous processing.

Here's an everyday example of asynchronous processing. Imagine you are at a checkout at the grocery store. When you first arrive, there is only one clerk who is responsible for checking everyone out.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/6lyep4/how_i_earned_my_mentors_respect_with_ajax/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>muh wall
>spic food
amerifats never cease to amaze me

go on...

>salsa is spic food
Europoors pathetic understanding of America never ceases to amaze me.

>spic food on one side of the cake wall
>amerifat food on the other side
>europoors don't understand symbolism

is there more coming, all these tards are focused on the unrelated pic i'm looking to read this discourse about AJAX damnit

>amerifat mongrels

This is what 50 years of communism and atheism does to a continent.

this is just a shitpost. you're not asking any question you just copied and pasted some made up reddit story. kys web dev fag

As a general rule, if it's a wall of text, it's not original.

reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/6lyep4/how_i_earned_my_mentors_respect_with_ajax/

>tldr; AJAX, when used right, can bring new life to web projects. Sometimes in ways that can surprise long-time progammers.

All programmers are autists..
Autistic people obsess over numbers and metrics.
Programmers are willing slaves to a system that only keeps them around to benefit from their autistic behaviour.
Programmers "enjoy" programming the same way that a kidnapped girl with stockholm syndrome enjoys captivity.
Obsessing over bloat is the programmers coping mechanism for just being a useful cog in the system.

>666

I don't know what the fuck this post is about, but rich web applications are cancer and anyone who makes them and doesn't hate it should kill himself.

Every people using internet are autists

Dude just write the website in Assembly

Here's an everyday example of asynchronous processing. Imagine you are at a checkout at the grocery store. When you first arrive, there is only one clerk who is responsible for checking everyone out. Unfortunately, the line is long, and it contains several crying babies. This is serial processing. Now imagine that another two clerks appear, and open up their checkout lanes. Suddenly, things start to move a like quicker. Customers are no longer being checked out one-at-a-time, but rather three-at-a-time. While this analogy is not perfect, it illustrate the point. Asynchronous processing can be a lot faster than synchronous processing.

Now I'll tell you how AJAX changed my company's survey application into a survey creating powerhouse. When I first started, the application contained a webpage we'll call 'QuizMaker.asp'. This is where my fellow programmers and I created surveys. Unfortunately, I can't provide pictures, but I'll try to paint a picture. This webpage displayed every question in a given survey. To make a survey, you would create questions, and add flow logic to them (ways of redirecting the survey or kicking participants out). You could also edit existing questions, by clicking that question's 'edit' button.
When I first got there, I slowly learned how to program surveys using this application. Over time, I became frustrated with how much time I spent just waiting for this 'QuizMaker.asp' page to load. I noticed that every time I needed to edit an existing question, I would click the 'edit' button and then be taken to a new page where I could make changes. Once I saved the changes, I was redirected back to the 'QuizMaker.asp' page. When surveys got big (sometimes containing more than 200 questions), it could take what felt like forever to wait for the 'QuizMaker.asp' page to load.

After about a week, I successfully opened his eyes to its beauty, by showing him his beloved web app like he'd never seen it before. Now, you could edit a question in seconds. In fact, at first he couldn't believe his edit was actually happening. I had proved to him that not only could I incorporate a new technology into his beloved application without making it slower, but actually make it faster. Slowly, my coworkers started noticing other potential areas where AJAX could shine. Why stop at editing questions asynchronously when you can edit flow logic, too? Why not make the entire application AJAX powered?

Honestly, I have to admit: as novice developer, I am pretty proud of myself. Not because I think implementing AJAX was a tremendous feat, though getting it to work in a relatively ancient web app (built in ASP classic) posed a few challenges. But rather because I was able to prove to Arnold that old-school is not incompatible with new-school. And the value of responsive and lite-weight software has not been lost.

>Reddit pasta
>choad toad cake
>Drumplestiltskin gear
I wan't Sup Forums to leave, pls.

>write website in assembly
>write tools to generate code for convenience
>goes well
>site gets bigger
>write more tools

>years later realize I've just written a compiler and html parser for no reason

true story (not really)

Sup Forums irl

it's r/the_donald dumbass

At least we had a wall and secure border

Well yeah that's what he said modern Sup Forums

>implying there's a difference

>nintendo and muhreo posters

What is with these yanks and their fucking Nintendo obsession

Screw these faggots. I like your story, OP

America is the autism and manchild capitol of the world, it's no wonder Nintendo trash sells so well there.

literal manchild, but at least he follows his dreams

What a bloated sack of shit

The amount of cringe

It was the vaccines in the 50's. We'll recover.

What's with Yuros and their fucking sega obsession LOL

The greatest part about posts like these are the anons that come out and say he's some sort of crisis actor false flagging against the right.