UK's ex-spy chief warns Amber Rudd's plan to pass new smartphone encryption law is dangerous

Source:
>independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-ex-spy-chief-amber-rudd-home-secretary-smartphone-encryption-law-dangerous-terrorism-isis-a7833211.html
Extract:
>The UK’s ex-spy chief has warned the Home Secretary’s plans to force smart phone apps such as WhatsApp to hand over encrypted messages are unworkable and dangerous.
>Robert Hannigan, the former head of GCHQ, ridiculed Amber Rudd’s threat to pass new laws to build “back doors” into secret messages as doomed to fail.
>“Encryption is an overwhelmingly good thing - it keeps us all safe and secure,” Mr Hannigan said.
When will politicians ever learn that banning something only applies to those who follow the law anyway.
If you ban something, criminals with either do it anyway, or just find a way around it.
The same thing back be said for terrorists.
Laws only affect the law-abiding.

Other urls found in this thread:

reason.com/blog/2014/08/11/california-congressman-wants-to-ban-civi
youtube.com/watch?v=Z9tauLV_MgA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's time to hang politicians from lamp posts.

>remove laws
>nothing affects no one
>we have achieved perfect society

this is was lolbertardians actually believe

and did someone say roads?

Not to mention, even IF companies complied, criminals and terrorists (and those who use encryption for legitimate privacy) would just start using PGP.

>Strawman.
Laws don't affect criminals, criminals will still break the law, but if you don't catch them, the law doesn't matter.
However, you should still have laws as a basis for punishment.
But you shouldn't bother to have blanket bans, you should focus on addressing the cause of want to use the thing you're trying to ban, in the way you're trying to ban it.
Of course though, because you're a smarmy statist, you just automatically conflate my meaning.
Also, the MUH ROADS argument is profoundly stupid.

so you can encrypt and share your CP?

tick tock pedo, day of the rope soon

Found the muslim

backdoors in phones won't solve shit for UK. UK's a dead nation. demography is something they won't be able to stop.
RIP UK

Let those terrorists take your freedom like the good little submissive cuck you are

ALLAH, SAVE ME! THE KAFFIR KNOW!
No, but seriously, go home: Take your statism back to Daddy Trump.

"Lolbertarianism" aside, this law is basically banning you from having locks on your doors because terrorists can use locked doors to protect themselves from the police.

And the backdoor laws are basically the equivalent of the government demolishing part of your walls, installing shirrt wooden doors that "only they have the key (tm)".

Until someone else finds the exploit.
Then 0day fun.

Come on, it's not like someone knows how to open doors that were locked by the government, it's against the law so it should be impossible.

Gosh no, why would someone intentionally break the law?
To show the government their folly?
I can't imagine that!

i fucking hate out of touch old people in government positions

Shouldn't we have a government based upon meritocracy?
So that only actual cybersecurity professionals can make cybersecurity laws.

First of all, the Investigatory Powers Bill (that can compel backdoors) passed last year. If there's anything they can't do under that legislation, they shouldn't be able to do it period - it is one of the widest surveillance laws in the world, explicitly allowing warrants for things like bulk surveillance and bulk hacking, both domestically and extraterritorially.

Secondly, right now the Tories couldn't pass wind, let alone bills.

>math is illegal in uk

can't make this shit up, no wonder your whole redcoat army lost to a bunch of autistic burgers

Removing safe spaces for terrorists also removes safe spaces for everyone else.

They're not just out of touch, they're straight up illiterate about reality.

Unlike you, I'll be nowhere to be found when the government mandated monthly "get fucked in the ass by big black dicks" day comes.

It's almost as if extremism is a bad idea no matter which direction you go.

Feels like politicians generally are absolutely retarded. There are very few who make some kind of sense. I still wait for the day that Germany passes a law that forbids trucks near Christmas markets.

Meanwhile all the NSA tools are already on the internet.

but more puppets of the wealthy elite will just pop up in their place.

>banning encryption
this is dumb
>laws only affect the law-abiding
this is dumb too

encryption is primarily a defensive technology
it cannot be used alone to cause harm, it's not designed to cause harm and it's primary use these days isn't to cause harm

it's the main reason i support some forms of gun control, but find the uk's attitude to knives ridiculous
banning some shit makes sense
there are very few legitimate uses of a tonne of neurotoxin
but if there are widespread legitimate uses of something, banning it is unreasonable

reason.com/blog/2014/08/11/california-congressman-wants-to-ban-civi

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9tauLV_MgA

clearly controlled opposition

Underrated post

How will this even work, in america of all places?
Let's say Cali bans sales of body armour, go to fucking Las Vegas and get yourself full mech suit for all they care.

If we expelled all the muslims and communists, we could have a libertarian government.

Next time you lament over-reaching government, just remember that you didn't want to get rid of the fifth-columnists.

I think in usa they should ban non fat people.

Only policeman should be able to run and be under 30 BMI. You dont need to run if you have nothing to hide, do you?

lost

>It's time to hang politicians from lamp posts.
Why do I see more and more pol posters here every day?
why dont you dumb southeners stay on your containment board or even better off the internet

>yfw you get promoted to spy chief because you are the best at listening at keyholes thanks to your giant Dumbo ears

this is a meme, businesses don't want weakened tls on their e-commerce, the intellectuals and journalists who tell people what they ought to think are the problem. England doesn't need to make it impossible to communicate without the government listening in, they need to remove all muslims from England.