/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Discord / IRC
discord.gg/wdg
#Sup Forumswdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: rizon.net/chat

>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Everything you learn will have these as their base.
The Mozilla Developer Network offers a good intro (no matter your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Getting_started_with_the_web

>Online courses
codecademy.com/
coderbyte.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Further reading/viewing
youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

>Code challenges
codewars.com/
hackerrank.com/
codefights.com/

>Useful resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
libraries.io/ - Discover and keep track of open source libraries, modules and frameworks
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Useful Youtube channels
youtube.com/derekbanas
youtube.com/learncodeacademy - codecademy
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/user/shiffman - coding train

>cheap VPS hosting in most western locations
digitalocean.com/
vultr.com/
linode.com/
scaleway.com/
heroku.com/

an in-depth comparison of hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

jsfiddle.net/uo9pjued/
stackoverflow.com/questions/45007859/creating-table-from-array-with-different-length-and-value-php
w3schools.com/js/tryit.asp?filename=tryjs_ajax_suggest_php
w3fools.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

here's one way you can do multiple requests and combine their results:
jsfiddle.net/uo9pjued/

How do you structure folders in your php app?
Do you use mvc pattern when you build everything from the ground?

..and that's why you start with learning a decent MVC framework (not necessarily in PHP) until you know where to put things.

REMINDER
A large amount of us welcome and encourage new devs to ask quesions. This includes emploment questions.

Anyone can help with this?
>>stackoverflow.com/questions/45007859/creating-table-from-array-with-different-length-and-value-php

Doing a bunch of php webdriver scripting lately to test updates on e-commerce site I work on.

Really enjoying it. Is there a career path I could go down with this?

sure - i wouldnt limit yourself to one language though. And I hope youre using php7+ because old php is shit

What if I did one big php script to handle all of the buttons in my html form instead of having separate html files for each thing I want to do?

Example:

display records

display clients

Can anyone see anything going horribly wrong with this idea? It would really clean up my wwwroot directory.

sure, you could dump everything into one file. you'll see why this is a bad idea when you go over like 300 lines or so

Actually in notepad ++ it lets me minimize every start of php. It cleans up nicely. I just want to know if this is just a really bad idea otherwise.

yes thats fine but you dont need all the seperate opening and closing php tags

just put everything in one tag

Well, I need to close the tag for the HTML script to run don't I? It's all after each tag.

>all after each tag

wat

Yeah it displays a new page depending on what the form button is named.

How do you handle not being able to achieve as much at the beginning as you wish, /wdg/? I've been designing and developing web pages for a month now and have been looking into Github to dive into as a means to build applications and get them out into the world as portfolio material. But PHP and various Javascript frameworks are way above my level of skill at the moment. Yet I want to build a sweet portfolio and grab a nice job ASAP.

What platform do you use to develop your web pages?

HTML and CSS, ezpz level.

Please don't actually use PHP to display HTML.

Use something to manipulate the DOM depending on an ajax return like jquery at the most basic. What you are doing has been "old school" for like 5 years.

Learn JS. It's pretty easy.

No one really hires an HTML/CSS only designer these days.

>What you are doing has been "old school" for like 5 years.
no it has not. "it's not hip" is a pretty dumb reason not to do something. you need to try better

yeah this

have your php scripts spit out JSON, then use AJAX to bind it to your html pages. This is what most frameworks do, but its more fun if you do it raw

It's not, that's what I am getting at. I've been learning JS as well but it is going to take some time to get to a competent level. So all I can do at the moment is HTML and CSS while all the big boys are playing in Github. I want to make big projects but it just has to take some time to get to the level of being able to do so, which is very frustrating.

it actually is a pretty old school way of doing things, plus back end mixed with front end code can be a hassle to even look at and manage

I don't know how to do that though. I'm not actually a developer, I just picked up some html, css, php and sql and run a ticketing and CRM system because the online solutions sucked and cost too much.

I was wondering about displaying those pages in php because I don't know if it's going to impact anything long term, but the system is pretty much done at this point.

I don't even know Java. The system works pretty well though, even has email notifications using phpmailer

this is the problem with web dev - people get boners for HTML and CSS and think thats what builds apps nowadays. It's not. Its just front end crap to make things look pretty. Start with back end then go to front end. Learn how to program first and foremost. People latch onto "koding" HTML/CSS tutorials because well, its not real programming therefor its much easier. Literally anyone can do HTML. Though it can be a bitch at times, especially CSS.

Become full stack or die trying.

>it actually is a pretty old school way of doing things
by what standards? the fact that it's less featured on hipster-ish webdev blogs than it was before? it is still used today, especially in internal enterprise webapps that have shitload of complex forms and other controls but don't neccesarily have high appeal to hip users as main requirement

>plus back end mixed with front end code can be a hassle to even look at and manage
rendering html documents server-side doesn't equate forgoing separation of concerns

if your app works then it works, cool, dont forget about security. Your next project i'd recommend doing things more "modernly" though , but do whatever the fuck you wanna do

Yeah I know it's pretty old school looking but really easy to use and navigate.

I needed to get the techs focused on the work and not the process.

the standard of technology rapidly changing and pushing the envelope. What developers dont want to happen if to use one way of doing something, and years and years later when better ways of doing things comes out, they are still using their old ways. It's not necessarily "bad" nor does it make anyone a shitty developer, you're just not up to par with the latest technologies. AJAX has been around for years though, so I personally think it's kind of silly not to use it.

I've a website using bootstrap 3.3.4, to update to latest 3.3.7 I just need to change the css/js?

>rendering html documents server-side doesn't equate forgoing separation of concerns
Can you elaborate on this?

again - this isnt about how it looks. I dont know if you really know the difference between front end and back end. Look at this site. Or craigslist. Shitty simple front ends but its fine because the back end is the magic behind the sites. Your app can look identical to how it is now and do everything its currently doing without ever refreshing the page (and im sure you could get the number of lines of code way down).

you're incorrectly assumin that using xhr everywhere instead of sending server-side rendered html is better for every usecase

>AJAX has been around for years though, so I personally think it's kind of silly not to use it.
what a silly blanket statement. it's silly not to use it when you would benefit form using it, and it's silly to use it when you would not only because "it has been around for years"

in MVC pattern your views are completely separated from both your controller logic and your business logic

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for upgrading the back end. w3schools a good start?

if the OP is the same person who posted his php code with tags in every POST request, then yes I think thats an old depreciated way of doing things. You dont want to use something just because its been around for years, thats not what im saying. I'm saying it makes you even more behind on current technologies because ajax has been around for a long time.

cont.

a car mechanic could still be building Model T's, but how employable would he be? How would his career go compared to if he was working on Tesla's or other modern cars?

No I mean which platform? Visual studio?

yea sure thats actually how i learned, once you understand this then you should be good to go

w3schools.com/js/tryit.asp?filename=tryjs_ajax_suggest_php

Not necessarily. Notice how buggy operating systems and new software is when they're first released? Time tested methods do have their place as well as new methods.

The military for example still uses PCMCIA in new fighter jets.

Learn Bootstrap to help with laying out your front end quickly and easily. Don't worry about frameworks in regards to PHP etc just yet. You can build with vanilla PHP.

just do tutorials on whatever you're trying to achieve and bend them to your will.

i dont understand how software testing as anything to do with this, it has to be tested anyway. The greatest and latest piece of code can still be buggy

also military technology is outdated as fuck - Trump was actually right on that shit

>if the OP is the same person who posted his php code with tags in every POST request, then yes I think thats an old depreciated way of doing things.
it is and I never denied that. but if he were to still render everything on the server but also apply the MVC pattern then it would be neither deprecated nor oldschool

>I'm saying it makes you even more behind on current technologies because ajax has been around for a long time.
of course not knowing AJAX is a serious lack in webdev knowledge, but that doesn't mean you have to apply AJAX to everything because anything else is "oldschool" which the first post I replied to stated

>w3schools a good start?
not really, see: w3fools.com/

Depending on your goals I guess. I'm totally on board with new developers getting into the new technology if that's the career path or hobby they want to pursue.

My goal was that I needed a smoother running office, so I wrote an ordering and ticketing system which also happened to save the company over 6,000 a year in subscription fees. I dove in from scratch with no programming background and in a few months on my spare time I cobbled this together and went with it.

What I was hoping to achieve by asking if generating the HTML off of the post requests in a big PHP script was going to cause any back end problems in the future because I simply don't know.

Remember to use prepared statements and avoid mysql_ functions, to avoid SQL injection.

Read about applying a csrf token to your forms.

You never see learning paths that start back end with a focus on being a full stack, any recommends?

I've got a message on LinkedIn from a recruiter about a senior frontend role. I only have 2 years experience and have shaky foundations in a lot of places. What do?

I'd stick with individual files. Best would be static. Built some toy things like a blog and such with cgi and shell scripts like that, it's actually quite clean and you spend less time serving your requests, since it's only static, easily cachaeble files.

whats a good learning resource for jsp full stack? I want to transition from asp.net, but don't really know where to start since visual studio did a lot of the setup work.

I am in middle of JavaScript,is W3Schools good for beginner? I am in half way modules and strings and it feels quite boring,should I just past through those?

My favorite are those people who after hearing I'm a wev developer say "Oh I made a website in college" like bitch no you didn't. Dragging a textbox in dreamweaver isn't web dev.

hey Sup Forums. So I've been teaching myself how to program by using resources such as FreeCodeCamp and Team Treehouse online for the past month, but wanted to know if I should work on my theory of computer science or mathematics as I don't have a strong background in either of them. I'm looking to become a front or back end web developer. Are there any resources or books you could recommend for me?

Stop calling things "hipster" when your main method of web dev is using PHP for its intended purpose.

I've built huge website your way back when it was still acceptable and it was an absolute pain in the ass to update. Once I switched to PHP backend returning json to parse with jquery my websites have been EZPZ single-page apps ever since and I never have to refresh the page to put out new elements. I didn't tell you your method was bad to be a dick. I told you your method was bad because it is bad and I gave you a more modern alternative

Take it, obviously.

Even if hey fire you, you still have senior dev on your resume.

.tagcloud {
font-weight: bolder;
line-height: 1.4em;
}
.tagcloud li {
display: table;
white-space: nowrap;
padding: 0;
margin: 0;
}
.tagcloud li a {
padding: 0 0.2em 0 0.2em;
text-decoration: none;
}

test1
test2
test3
test4

How can I avoid it being displayed as a bulletpoint list rather than just a regular cloud of links next to each other?

Doesnt all this AJAX stuff mean that you're fucked if a user decides to block JavaScript?

ul.tagcloud {
list-style: none;
padding: 0; /* or whatever you want; just reset the default 40px on left */
}

will remove the dots

Why is each list item its own table? Did you mean to display ul as a table, and make each li a row or something?

Yes.

>Doesn't all this app shit mean that you're fucked if a user decides not to install your app?
Yeah, and?

There's a difference between installing an app and visiting a website. Websites should be fully functional without js, shouldnt they?

This is how I wanted to make it look like, originally had display as inline and thought that was the issue.

>Stop calling things "hipster" when your main method of web dev is using PHP for its intended purpose.
You must be confusing me with someone else. I haven't really touched php since like 2004 or so

ideally, but in some cases assuring that it does requires so much time and effort that it's not worth it

Your word of the day is "TWIG".

>Websites should be fully functional without js, shouldnt they?
Okay, better analogy:
>Doesn't all this app shit mean that you're fucked if a user decides not to grant your app Internet access?
Not everything a browser can reach via http(s) is a website. For better or worse, the executable web has been a thing for 15-20 years now and I doubt people on either end of that http(s) link are going to give up the performance and bandwidth improvements realizable.

if retard tinfoilers want to block javascript they can get fucked and have no right to bitch about broken functionality

Okay, any tips on what to do if slapping list-style: none; everywhere does nothing and I still get a list with bullet points?

Check list-style-image and display attributes.
Or open up your element inspector, look at the computed style, and counteract it as needed.

Do you have nested lists?

Also note that it should be on the , not the

I don't understand, unless you mean general text editor. I use Brackets

Can I prevent splitting words/links between lines in css?

You want the white-space property.

nowrap makes it so that everything stays on one line.

pre makes it so that everything stays on one line unless you have line breaks or
s in the source.

I need to have white space as pre-line because otherwise all the text turns into a single line that disappears at the edge of the screen.

Speaking of CSS, is it OK for me to think its a finicky piece of shit that was invented by libfags to make the internet look "nice"

no, but it would be ok for you to kindly keep Sup Forums out of this thread

So you do want things to wrap at some point? But just not within individual words or within links?

Default behavior is not to break individual words up. The properties that control individual words being broken between lines are "overflow-wrap" and "word-break".

As far as not breaking links, will just giving the elements white-space: pre; work?

I guess it's a bit finicky at times. But I personally don't mind it, and having it as an option is a good thing, rather than having to use table layouts for everything.

Something I am working on... Thoughts?

It is a finicky piece of shit. But it's gotten a little better lately with flexible layout, new display: values like inline-block, and some of the alignment options.

Are asp.net and java-ee still the top techno for acceptable ($500+/month) webdev jobs today?

>still the top techno for acceptable

what are you trying to say here, pajeet... java/asp net were recognized as shit a decade+ ago.

Oh kek. PHP webshits are making $30k/yr these days in most places. If you're a serious backend engineer you can probably do better than that.

I was thinking about picking up a subscription to pluralsight, I was going to aim for C# as my first language and JS as well.

Is C# a good choice? Marketwise as well a powerful language? I'm wanting to secure my future so I want a language that would transfer to another industry just in case the web dev bubble bursts.

I'm not him btw.

yes

>java/asp net were recognized as shit a decade+ ago
by who? certainly not by medium-/large-sized companies which are still betting on them hard. and it's still where the jobs are (if you exclude the pajeet-tier low paying php&co. ones)

That user can fuck himself and his tinfoil hat ass isn't in my target market anyways.

Nope.

Every major browser supports JS so if someone disables it then they are knowingly making half the web unuseable.

And you should all be banned.

By not being a pussy. You "deal" with things by being just a tiny bit mentally resilient, and not a shivering bitch.

It was great in the 90s. It's way way outdated for the dhit we do nowadays. To get things where you want them, on mobile and desktop, it's a chaotic circus of translates, media queries, and display types. Of course you could always use bootstrap and limit your creative freedom because any custom alignment and positioning breaks the piece of shit.

It needs a rewrite that scraps display types and has a proper vertical align.

so I just php json_encode the output, fetch it via ajax, and manipulate/display it from there? is it a recommended practice?

i'm more of a js person so i guess that would make it easy for me once the data has been "jsonified"

>How do you structure folders in your php app?
Assuming your folder is named 'myProject':
$rmdir -r myproject
$mkdir myproject && cd myproject
$npm init

Have you heard of CSS Rhythmic Sizing? It fixes at least part of your problem.

Bretty much. If you really do need something no-scriptable, you should probably use a template engine instead of embedded PHP. Bonus: you can often reuse the templates on the client side with a template engine there, should you need to.

No, it's not good. It's vastly outdated, and a lot of its info is just plain wrong.
- They don't mention function expressions
- They don't mention ES6 at all
- They don't really explain asynchronous programming at all (except in the context of AJAX)
- Their order is completely fucking arbitrary.

Trust me, you're better off going somewhere else.

Does anybody really make this little money in web?

Actually not terrible, but your right aligned column on the bottom has no alignment with the corresponding left side. This indicates that you have no formal training in design, and your design will consequently fall apart as soon as you have enough elements for the layout to be realistically complex.

In this day and age, no. Expecting your site to work perfectly without JS is idiotic with a modern browser.

CS yes, but don't go to school, obviously. Mathematics, no.

#pol{
white-space:all;
}

>Promises
Yep, if you're still here, dude that asked that question. Basically, you're running into the issue of Asynchronous programming: With just two, simple requests (get resource A, get resource B), you can chain them. But with multiple requests, you basically need to structure it so that you get the 'response' once all requests are back. You can do this one of two ways:
1. Callback nesting and recursive function calling:
let foods = ['Apple','Banana','Cherry','Durian','Eggplant'],
results = [];
const getAFood = function(){
someAsyncRequest(foods.shift(),function(r){
results.push(r.data);
if(foods.length){
getAFood();
}else{
//do something with all the data
}
})
}

That's fine, but if you have a large number of items, that's gonna get pretty nasty. What's worse is that if ONE of the requests fails, you're likely gonna miss ALL of them.

2. The second option is Promises, which are like little tickets with three statuses: Pending, Resolved, and Rejected. Most promise libraries - Q, Bluebird, the ES6 promise library - basically offer a .all() function of some sort that, each time a promisified AJAX request comes back, checks to see how many promises are still pending, compares it to some total, and only returns the result once they're 'all' done.

#pol {
white-space: nojap;
}

#pol{
white-space:inherit;
align-self:right;
background:#fff;
filter:brightness(0%);
right:100%;
left:0;
}

#fit {