/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6mhfkv/amazon_primeday_2017_megathread/dk29229/
gearbest.com/headsets/pp_279992.html
head-fi.org/f/threads/how-to-automatically-eq-your-headphones-to-online-measurements-a-step-by-step-guide.854773/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's some decent-ish prime day deals on for anyone looking to buy:

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6mhfkv/amazon_primeday_2017_megathread/dk29229/

Why do my Piston headphones always shit the bed after about 6 months?
Had two Piston 2,1's and now the Piston Hybrid's. Both had one earphone stop working.

Also, need buying advice please. Looking to replace my Piston Hybrid's

>Budget
£20, willing to stretch to £30 if it's going to make a considerable difference
>Location
UK
>Source
Laptop, Phone, PC
>Type
IEM's
>Preferred Sound
Slightly bassy, I tried the Piston 3's and didn't like them as much as the Piston Hybrid's. Noise isolation is also important.

I don't really know what's been going on since the Piston Hybrid's released or what's the best out there, pleas help

>chink shit
>expecting quality

I thought Piston's were thegood chink shit
Honestly this happened to my Sony earphones too, and I know it happens to some others. is it just wear and tear? I put them in my jeans pocket sometimes

i also broke two piston 2's and three rock zircons.
i just bought this one and it is on the way gearbest.com/headsets/pp_279992.html
it is pretty p/p.
check Sup Forums archive or youtube videos if you want.

>I put them in my jeans pocket sometimes

Bingo, that's what's killing your IEMs. Stop abusing them and put them in a case or something.

Because you don't take care of your belongings retard. I have pistons 3 which are over 2 years old and work perfectly
>I put them in my jeans pocket sometimes
If you sloppily wear them in your pockets and cause cable to bend all over the place it will break over time. This is not fucking rocket science, all cables break like this if you don't take care of them. Buy case. How is this even a questions on technology board.

KZ ATR or KZ ATE
and stop buying cheap headphones.

opinions?

HJE120 is worth a try if you see it for a low price. I liked it more than the Piston 3 desu.

6 months is quite avarge lifespan for IEMs without a removable cable.

Hey all,

I'm re-entering the headphone market as my 7 year old AKG Q701's are starting to show their age.

>Budget
I've got about $1200 with some wiggle room for a complete upgrade. I'm hoping for DAC/AMP/Headphones as my fioo e17's screen is so burnt in I can't operate it anymore.

>Location
Melbourne, Australia

>Source
They'll only ever be used on my desktop

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Prefer open

>Comfort level
High as possible. I'm regularly working at my pc for 8-12 hours.

>Sound signature
I slightly prefer warmer sound signatures but this isn't too important for me.

>Past headphones
AKG Q701 paired with fiio e17

Are you sure they didn't just get clogged up with earwax?

>Sennheisers have shit build quality

NOT LAUGHING NOW ARE YOU

DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW

What is the cheapest dac/amp for headphones worth getting.
>location
Europe
>price
Like I said something cheap preferably under >100 Euros
>Headphones
Nothing special 668b and porta pros

>buying a DAC/amp for those headphones

Upgrade to better headphones first then think about upgrading to a better DAC/amp

Which model? Wish they would improve the build quality on the PX 100-II.

HD 598

>Sennheiser's mid tier offerings have better build quality than their high tier offerings (HD 600/650)

I will in the future.
But first I like to invest in a ok dac/amp before buing some "audiophile" grade headphones.
It's quite logical first step if you think about it.

I should have figured. In all fairness I'm not very Sup Forums. What kind of case do you guys use? I'm a bit lazy desu, sometimes I just have them in my pocket in case I want to put them in my phone, even around the house. A case for then seems a bit much and it's not like I'm buying expensive headphones

Appreciate the recommendation but I'm after IEM's

Aren't the KZ's really cheap? I remember them being mentioned before but I struggled to find them online. Are they genuinely good?

Will look into, thanks

That's a bit shit isn't it.

Wot?

Is that it then lads? If it's only the KZ's and the HJE's being recommended in that range, I'm tempted to just buy some another set of Piston Hybrid's since I quite like them.
How are the Soundmagic E10's? I do want something a bit bassy, like my Pistons

Please redo this with HD600 or HD650 and post results, thanks.

Can I just wash this shit or do I have to replace it?

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Hi there Sup Forums, hope you guys can help me out with this one

>Budget
Around 50-60 euros, could be a bit more
>Location
Spain
>Source
PC, Phone/MP3 player, Guitar amp
>Type of headphone
Full sized headphones
>Open or closed
Preferably closed, although to be honest I have never had any open ones
>Comfort level
Will be wearing them for several hours so pretty comfy
>Sound signature
Would prefer bassy/warm, if not neutral

Thanks in advance!

>Around 50-60 euros, could be a bit more
Maybe you can find some used HD558? Your budget isn't.

Yes, warm water and dishwash liquid should do the job.

Yeah, I haven't got much money right now and I wanted a pair of over ear headphones, I have just seen the Status Audio CB-1's, are they any good?

Better cans first, buy a DAC/amp if you hear static on the new cans or if they won't go loud enough.

Will post this one more time in case anyone missed it last thread.
How to automatically equalize your headphones to online measurements - a step by step guide:
head-fi.org/f/threads/how-to-automatically-eq-your-headphones-to-online-measurements-a-step-by-step-guide.854773/
tl;dr: WebPlotDigitizer can extract data from online frequency response graphs which you can convert into a format Room EQ Wizard can read for the purposes of auto-generating EQ filters for Equalizer APO. Have fun, /hpg/.

My DT 880 is already perfect and doesn't need any EQ.

Massdrop has the HD6XX for $200 (basically the same as the HD650). I bought the HD598 for $100 last year. Is it worth the upgrade?

Is metal571 /ourguy/?

>$200
Have you factored in that you might need to buy a better amp or DAC?

>This can also be used to simulate one headphone through another provided you have a measurement of both headphones from the same source.
This could be fun for /hpg/ discussion.

Talk me out of buying the HD 598SR guys

fuck it I pulled the trigger on the X2's hope they're as good as people say

I did not. The most I can spend on an amp would be $100 right now. Still worth it?

Also I have a focusrite 2i4 that I wish to plug into, but I dont think it can drive the HD6xx. FUCK.

HD558 sound almost identical for a lot less and are a far superior value while they're still in stock and under $100.

Forgot to mention I'm in the UK so the Prime Day deal means the 598 is £80 and the 558 is £120.

I already have a pair of DT 880, was tempted to buy the 598 to bring to uni with me as I don't really want to bring along the DT 880 and Fulla 2 setup I have at the moment.

Want something that can be driven quite well out of a laptop. I was also looking at a pair of Ety MK5.

is that picture actually true? I was wondering what people who browse this board actually look like, they keep posting anime girls like it is them

wtf? I am an anime girl

No, Zeos is /ourguy/

>fat fuck
>likes anime
>has retarded subjective opinions

this

>metal571
He likes HD600, so I'd say yes.
Satania a cute. A cute!!

How can I achive the listening to the most neutral undistorted music? Heard that the HD600 is the best headphone at achiving this

Zeos is less autistic even though he likes anime.

Etymotic ER4S is more neutral

Actually I'm just using some faux leather bag I got with porta pros years ago, but there are much better choices. Basically roll your headphones around your hand loosely and then put it into either case or some small bag. Just look for earbud/iem cases on amazon or whatever. You can even make one, all that matters is that you have separate container in which your headphones will sit rolled in the same position you put them, then you will not be constantly putting stress on your iems and cables won't be breaking as often.

>retarded ear dildos

a dildo pleasures your mother and a ER4S pleasures the ear

Freak.

D..does anyone use or know much about decent earphones

soundmagic e80c all the way

That is correct.

My old cheap ass bluetooth headphones died and I'm looking for a replacement and I figured I should get something a bit better for a change.
I'll be moving around with them a lot so wireless is pretty much a must, I have had wired headphones before but I broke the cable in under a year on all of them.

>Budget
Under 400€ preferably

>Location
Estonia

>Source
90% of the time will be using my phone (Nexus 5X, LineageOS)

>Type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
As high as possible, will be wearing them for most of the day.

>Sound signature
Not very important

>Past headphones
Philips SHB5500BK/27

>400 euro headphones
>through phone
why

OPPO PM-3

Just the amount of free money I got right now, suggestions with cheaper headphones are more than welcome.
Just figured if there are some headphones that sound great over wireless then someone here might know about it.

get a chink amp+dac and 300 euro headphones

Oh right, forgot to mention that I'll also need a mic for potential calls.

get a chink mic than you attach too headphones

>if there are some headphones that sound great over wireless

Can't have stuff dangling off the headphones, most of my work (Local IT at a factory) involves moving around and I'm guessing it would get stuck the same way cables do.

best all-round headphones for less than 1k? (gaming, music, general computer work)

than you are fine 150 euro headphones

Well I ended up buying the HD 598 for £70 in the end. Seems like a good deal.

HD600, obviously.

Ok, was kinda afraid that was the case.

Anyone have any experience with aptX codecs though? Those are supposed to improve wireless quality a ton and it seems I can hax support for that for my phone.

Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless. HD600 is crap.

Fuaaaark

I already have the 558's goddamit

Your 558s sound nearly identical and have a superior headband, so be happy.

better pic

We are all little girls here.

I was thinking of reselling them when the price goes up

i prefer warmer sound, should i go hd650?

HD600 hands off.
Pretty much, if you can afford HD600 (and it isn't that expensive, either), that's the one to get. It0s the most neutral as per harman target, and that makes it an excellent all-rounder.

HD650 are definitely warm. Some may find the HD600 warm. I'd advise you to audition both if at all possible.

Are wireless EARphones a meme? Dont like the cable but dont want headphones.

No.
HD650 is a slightly dark and bassy version of HD600. Less neutral, thus worse.
HD600's neutral with a slight touch of warmth.

PM-3 accepts the vmoda boompro

Elitist fag here. Are any of the higher price-range Sennheiser in-ears still made in Germany? I strictly avoid anything made in China. Preferences are EU > US > other >>> China.

Which in-ears could I get, which are not made in China, are over-all balanced and have enough bass?

Music styles:

Drum & Bass 30 %
Breakbeat 20 %
German metal 20 %
Reggae 10 %
Others: Rest

Noice cancelling: either none or passive. I don't want to "charge" my earphones
May not be bluetooth because I fly a lot with Swiss and with Austrian airlines and they both do strictly not allow bluetooth headsets during the whole flight.

>cute anime girl with HD598
wow I LOVE Sennheiser now

What kind of dnb?
Oldschool jungle or the new shit.
There is a big sound difference.

it seems to depend on the part, but as a rule of thumb I would say assembled in gyna but manufactured in germany

>a new pair of headphones is arriving TOMORROW and my current amp won't be able to power them properly
wew, I'm living the meme

In terms of dnb, I love the old school jungle stuff, on the other side my breakbeat taste goes more towards new school breaks.

> HD 598Cs
> ATH-M50X (or M30X for half the price)
>MDR-100AAPBCLA

Should I give in to prime day? Which are your experiences with this models?

The problem with DnBs sound signature is that it's not really meant for any kind of headphones.
To get the massive sound you really need a good subwoofer.

They're all pretty bad, but I'd go with the MDR100 out of those three cause it looks nice.

Best entry to this himalayan goat milking forum.

How can I eliminate noise from my Fulla 2 when connected to my PC and using powered monitors? I don't get noise off my laptop or phone, I think it's ground loop noise since the computer and speakers are off the same line. I tried a separate PCI-E USB 3.0 card and it made it slightly better. Now I ordered a powered usb 2.0 hub and PCI-E usb 2.0 card to see if it helps. I used to use a Line 6 Toneport and didn't get any noise.

Sony MDR-1A is fucking comfort in heaven for only 150€ with mic but it has niggerbass..
Beyerdynamic COP or DT770 are great too, but not really made for portable use and the later has no mic.

What? I thought they were good $99 headsets. I've seen people recommend audiotechnica before.
Shit sucks then.

Does your prime day not offer the open 598s?

where I'm at they're 89€, worth it?
the sound is the exact same as the original 598's right?