Teen dies from using cellphone while taking a bath

foxnews.com/tech/2017/07/11/teen-dies-from-using-cellphone-while-taking-bath.html

>Madison Coe, 14, was electrocuted taking a bath at her father’s home in Lovington, New Mexico, news station KCBD reported.

>Relatives told KCBD that the accident was caused either when she plugged in her phone while in the bathtub or grabbing the phone as it was being charged.

Is it even possible for you to be electrocuted from the 5V 1-2A output that a phone charger puts out? Unless the girl tried to plug the charger into the wall with wet hands I don't see how she could've possibly been electrocuted by her phone charger.

Other urls found in this thread:

righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html?m=1
cnet.com/news/scientist-quantum-physics-can-prove-theres-an-afterlife/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I read this. Sound suspicious.
GFCI outlets are required near a sink
so unless this Texas house pre-dates the requirement for them, this may be ...

Murder! (dun dun DUNNN)

Good.

Phone users deserve to die anyway.

how fucking dumb can you be

What are gfci outlets? I Live in Texas btw

>Texas house
I dont think Texans lets the government tell them what they can and cannot do

They are outlets that cut themselves off when they detect a short circuit

You know that shit with the TEST and RESET buttons? They're designed to shut off if dangerous current flow is detected.

These are now required in US houses in bathrooms, and near the sinks in kitchens, wherever water is.

They're the outlets with the test/reset buttons that cut off when they detect a short. They're required on all new construction / remodleing if the outlet is anywhere near a sink or other water source. I live in TX and my house that was built in the early 80's has them in both bathrooms and the kitchen. You also have to install them in older houses when you sell them (home inspectors will flag the issue).

Yes, it's required in all state and local building codes here in TX.

The house this girl got electrocuted in was in New Mexico though.

Disgusting redhead finally got the justice she deserved after stealing all those souls

One possible cause is a chink charger that shorted mains to the ground lead. In that case she got Darwin'd.

she's also a tuba player, if the shirt is any sort of clue.

No, it's not possible, she's just dumb, RIP anyways.

Not short circuit but rather when the current leaving the power supply is not the same (within 30mA) as the one returning to the power supply.
I'm honestly surprised that it isn't required everywhere now. Here in Germany it's been since 68.

$100 it was an extension cord.

$100 it was an iPhone

the big hole in a 3 way hole plug is used for shutting it off if too many volts are passed through it (emergency stop kind of thing)

>the big hole in a 3 way
ur mum

>too many volts are passed through it

Nice example of an American who should stop talking about stuff he/she doesn't understand, like electricity.

>plugged in her phone while in the bathtub
American education, everyone.

>americans are dumb
more news at 11

RCDs have been required on every single circuit in australia for 20+ years, not just on powerpoints located in bathtubs

loli haters deserve only death

>>Relatives told KCBD that the accident was caused either when she plugged in her phone while in the bathtub or grabbing the phone as it was being charged.

Was a toaster not an option here?

>died sending pictures of your titties

What a way to go out

>>died sending pictures of your titties
there's an app for that

An app that kills you when snapping titty pics?

based teenbro

>too many volts
you what?

Don't mind him. He's probably from the United States.

No, an app that snaps a pic of your titties when you die

Yeah. Maybe a snappy title for it based on her name. "Electric Coempany" or something.

kek

>He believes in "premium" chargers

Not him but I have two usb chargers: chink one and LG one and I can assure you there is at least difference in output. I've connected usb-powered speakers to both of them and while on LG one everything is normal, on the chink one I can hear pretty clearly buzzing (hello not exactly stable direct current!)

CHINKSHIT = 1
AMERIFUGG = 0

Stupid Murican piggus :^)

I have a Nexus 4 (made by LG) and I'm scared to use the included charger because it buzzes like a bee. Because of the quick charge shenanigans, chargers are now much more expensive to produce and the amount of true chink level chargers has diminished greatly. I was in China recently and It's practically impossible to find a charger under 20 RMB (About 3 dollars).

when your skin is wet the resistance becomes far lower (sometime up to 100 times lower). Furthermore as the body is fully submerged the decrease in resistance is possibly even greater. So as current is directly proportional to voltage/resistance the current delivered to the body is gonna be around 100 times greater than if you touched the wire with dry hands. Would this kill you? fuck knows since i don't know what the resistance of skin is anyway and can't be bothered to look it up but surely some smart boiis in the thread will do the rest of the maths or me. Either way electricity near water is never ideal.

All you need is enough voltage to surpass the resistance of skin.

It takes very little (~100mA) current across the chest to have your heart stop. Salt increases the conductivity of water. Combined with the fact that chink chargers don't have voltage regulators, so its possible.

FALSE FLAG
government is going to use this to push more regulations

okay so assuming a somewhat conservative 0.1 amps to be lethal we can determine roughly how much current she received and if it was over the deadly threshold.

Lets take OPs figures of 5v and 2A and a quick google will show that the skins resistance in roughly 100,000 ohms with the resistance of internal tissue being negligible (under 1% of skin resistance). Now as stated the resistance of skin when wet can be 100 times less so lets assume she was having a good long bath and her skin was all pruned up and thoroughly wet meaning her skins resistance was only about 1000ohms.

Using ohms law I=V/R the calculation is:

I = 5/1000= 0.005A

Darwinism at work really

>Is it even possible for you to be electrocuted from the 5V 1-2A output that a phone charger puts out?

Easily. There might be be something in charger what short circuits to wall potential when it breaks. Chregrs are not solenoid-based anymore, they are semiconductor-based.

Fucking hell, I don't even have my phone in the bathroom when I'm taking a shower/bath because of that shit. She was actually handling an electronic device that's not waterproof that's fucking plugged in? Fuck.

Fuugg I guess my house was built in the 70s mine don't have them. No wonder shits always fucking up near those sink outlets

Natural selection, fucking retard

>ameritards

Obviously not plugged.

The sad thing is that the reporting is so bad we cannot even fathom what the events were.

Those are German-style plugs, bro.

It's probably not plugged in and just a setup. But still.

that's actually in germany, also a joke.

I don't get it, the charger couldn't have killed her. It's just too dam little electricity. But if the charger didn't kill her then what did?

Even if she would have touched the AC prongs the fuse should have detected the short circuit and shut off the 120 to the plug.

Darwin is still alive and well all these years.

>German """"humour""""

Hold up
Is this even possible?
Damn, if It's fast and painless I will do it myself

>electrocution
>fast and painless

Don't. Once you die, that's it. You don't get any fairy tale magic voodo shit where you go talk to your relatives again. Once you die that's it.

I was in a car crash a few months ago and still remember how fucking cold it got when they put me to sleep. I closed my eyes for 1 second and then woke up 10 hours later in a full body cast crying because I thought that I had died. Nurses had to come in and sedate me because of how high my heart rate was going up.

They didn't mention the type of phone so clearly it was an iPhone. The media can never say anything bad about such a shit company

14 isn't loli anymore and good riddance for another dead 3DPD.

>Once you die that's it.
Prove it.

sounds like a shitty cover-up of murder by parents

yeah yeah gb2leddit cucko

This is a Christian image board please take your heathen thoughts and edgy trends back to where you came.

Dubious story.
American taking bath...

I lost my fucking conscience when they put me to sleep. For what seemed like 1 second I couldn't feel pain, emotions, or even acknowledge I existed. When you die this becomes permanent. You just come to a grinding halt and all the lights are turned off and permanently destroyed.

I'm pretty sure you fucking disappear when you die else we would have scientific proof of ghosts. Because if I were to die the first priority would be to come back to the real world and let me family know I was still alive in another existence.

Fuse only go off after it detects too much current, which could be too late in a fucking bathtub. Fuses are more for not starting fires.

>tfw can't fuck her fresh wet corpse

You weren't dead.

>scientific proof of ghosts
The fuck? There's a billion other scenarios that can take place after death. You think too simple.

>I lost my fucking conscience when they put me to sleep.
>For what seemed like 1 second
How can it seem like anything if you don't have "conscience"?

>Being a necrophiliac

Lol white ppl are retards

>it was android
top kek

Look I used to go to church every sunday, do all my prayers every night, and read the bible whenever I had free time. But certain catastrophic events before the car crash woke me up so hard I wish I could go back to my peaceful ignorant life of make believe.

I'm just telling you all the truth here: you don't go anywhere when you die, you just vanish. Absolutely nothing points to us going to an afterlife. We're all inside a few pounds of brain matter held inside a skull being fed with oxygenated blood with sugar and stuff.

The same rules apply to all living life be it a squirrel that you ran over yesterday or grandma going code blue a few months or years from now.

It's hard to explain but I "wasn't there" for that one second.

>It's hard to explain but I "wasn't there" for that one second.
You "weren't there" for 10 fucking hours. Either you experienced those or you didn't, you can't experience not experiencing only 1 second of 10 hours, that's retarded.

There is a difference between what is on the books and what is enforced in practice

I've heard that texas is pretty lenient and looks the other way a lot

>he doesn't know shit about producing a quality DC power supply

righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html?m=1

I have two of the HP Touchpad chargers, they are really nice.

>german 'humor'

Is this why so many of them moved to brazil?

I guess. Though one additional thing I can say is it wasn't like blacking out after a night of getting hammered. I was able to somehow detect that for what seemed like 1 second I completely fuckened disappeared. It got extremely cold very fast when they put me to sleep for the surgery too.

I couldn't stop crying and screaming when I woke up and I used to be in school fights and walk in the woods alone at night. It was absolutely the biggest rush of fear and feeling of impending doom I felt in all my life.

A lot of texans don't know how to read and follow building codes

Theyre called Australian power plugs.

Story states she died while she was in the bathtub. And I don't think they make charging cables that long. So, she probably used an extension cord like an idiot. She most likely developed the habit of using her phone during baths because it was water proof. Lets face it, she only lived this long due to her battery being fully charged. Not very bright if you ask me.

I better not be hearing a lawsuit about water proof phones. Advancements in technology shouldn't suffer over some idiot.

I'm glad whenever stupid people kill themselves and prevent their genes from spreading to the next generation.

Hopefully her parents kill her siblings before killing themselves too.

>dat math
Modeling charge flow through a body is a really complex issue. Bodies aren't linear loads. They are not chunks of homogenous materials either.

100mA is pretty high. To get an idea the UL states the GFCIs trigger at 4-6mA of leakage current. As little as 10uA through the heart can cause the rhythm to get out of whack and that's the quantity that really counts.

Multiple things had to have gone wrong any way you cut it. The most likely scenario I can come up with is a failure of the isolation between primary and secondary in the power supply. This could cause voltages around the levels of the outlet to appear on the charger side. It would also almost certainly require a malfunctioning or nonexistent GFCI otherwise she got really unlucky and 5mA killed her. Failure of winding isolation is a really rare event as is failure of a GFCI.

Otherwise I suppose the designed charger output killed her. Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 allows up to 20V to be on the USB line with 12V being the most common. 12V can kill but even in water we're talking struck by lightning on the same day you won the lottery here.

A malfunctioning voltage regulator could provide more voltage than was designed but it would have cooked her phone. So we're talking about a malfunction that occurred around the time of her death which makes it really unlikely.

I really want to see the death investigation report on this. It's bizarre as fuck.

>This thread again
5V in a tub can't hurt you
>Yeah, but what abo-
CAN'T HURT YOU. We did the math. The voltage is just too low by over an order of magnitude.
>But muh chinkshit!
If it's enough voltage to kill you, then it would kill a phone too. Even the chinkiest of chinktech chargers are still +/-20% from 5V.

>So what really happened then?
She killed herself or was murdered and the family is on damage control.

no it's not.
>foxnews
kek

that's not how genes work

cnet.com/news/scientist-quantum-physics-can-prove-theres-an-afterlife/

>Primary/secondary failure
If this happened, I can guarantee the breaker would trip or the charger would just torch itself. The secondary side isn't designed to carry 120V, so there'd instantly be catastrophic failure as previously non-conductive areas became conductive and pcb traces designed to carry a couple amps start carrying a dozen of them.

>20V
Still not enough though. Everyone keeps modeling this like each lead is in a jar of brine and you stick a hand in each one, perfectly putting the source across your heart. This isn't the case though. The water is far more conductive than the skin, and the +/- are a couple of millimeters away from each other on the charging cable. Most of the voltage would be dropped through the water right between the connector pads. Perhaps millivolts would be hitting any skin, and that's being generous.

That's a scientologist you dumb fuck.

>If it's enough voltage to kill you, then it would kill a phone too.

1. Regulation required dielectric fails
2. USB ground on secondary side is now riding 120V RMS and the ride never ends
3. DC+ pin is now 120V RMS + 5-20VDC depending on QC support and negotiated voltage
4. Phone sees 5-20V potential and charges just fine
5. Loli touches and sees 120V*sqrt(2)+5-20V >= 174.7V between her and any real ground
6. ????
7. Loli is pizza

>We did the math.
>Modeling a bunch of different different nonlinear materials in a complex geometric configuration as a single linear resistance

How does it feel to be this brainlet? Do you sometimes forget to breathe?

>that's not how genes work
did you not pass high school biology?

her siblings probably her genetic stupidity, because they came from the same stupid parents.

parents need to kill all their children, then themselves, to make sure their stupid genes cannot spread.

>robert lanza
>no actual proof of anything at all
>cnet
0/10

So 99% of life on earth should be wiped from existence because you deem them stupid?

How about you start with yourself, faggot?

>Dielectric fails
Please draw out exactly how a failure raises both Vcc and Gnd to the same ac potential without bonding them and without additional components.
>Oh wait I guess they'd be at the same potential.
Good, now tell me how the phone still charges.

Its grounded, nothing wrong.