Should I care about FreeBSD?

Are there any advantages for a desktop user in using FreeBSD over Linux?
Or the only really advantage is a less strict licence that let's corporations to use Unix tools in their products?

I hear some good things about its performance on the server side (file servers (ZFS), jails).
Also, Sony has it running on PS4 if I'm not mistaken.

I run nas4free on my nas, it's a derivative of FreeBSD. ZFS is /comfy/ af.

>care
yes bsd as a whole is important
>do anything with it
no

>Are there any advantages for a desktop user in using FreeBSD over Linux?

Yes, FreeBSD is an operating system, whereas Linux is a kernel.

A kernel unto itself doesnt provide the functionality that a typical user would require, ergo FreeBSD would be the better option.

Nintendo also runs it in their new Switch console. Sony has been using it since the PS3 if I remember correctly, although they have used parts of it for much longer.

Configuration is braindead easy and interaction is smooth and simple. Otherwise, no.

So has Apple. Guess BSD license is the easy to handle for corporations seeking to integrate open source tech.

I'd just like to interject for a moment...

He's agreeing with you stallman.

>advantages
not really anything that could convince anyone to switch from linux.
however if you're getting a new pc and you're thinking about getting a different desktop OS, then it is a viable option.

There are several reasons:
1. License autism - if you think using permissively-licensed software is what gives your life meaning.
2. Home NAS - ZFS has nice features, but also some bad pitfalls which require forward thinking to avoid. As a rule of thumb, if someone says ZFS is perfect, they either don't know a lot about it or are lying you in the face.
3. Network appliances - FreeBSD has a pretty good network stack.
4. Linux hate - whether you are an archbabby that got memed into thinking BSDs will make a man out of you, or are just plain tired of the cancerous Linux community, FreeBSD might be what you're looking for.

On the other hand, it has shit hardware support compared to Linux, some really ancient and inflexible stuff, some common ports aren't very stable (browsers for example), the only usable VM is Xen, etc. Lots of small issues that add up.

Try it in a VM or something and see for yourself.

As for the license stuff: speaking from experience, companies don't have problem using GPL-licensed software in their products, and Linus has never been trigger-happy when it comes to legal stuff.

Thanks for a detailed post.
I will give FreeBSD a go.

>Guess BSD license is the easy to handle for corporations seeking to integrate open source tech.
What a nice way of saying BSD license allows corporations to take BSD-licensed software and give nothing back.

If game consoles used GPL code, anyone could use it to make an emulator.

Yep, should've named it BDSM license for the cuck policy it enforces.
I am surprised why OpenBSD still uses it though...

Except Sony did give some shit back. They just don't want you to get everything because you'd be able to run PS4 (maybe even PS3) games on your PC natively, free of charge. Simply install FreeBSD or whatever they use, download the PS4 game, install a "patch" to get drivers working for your hardware and have a game working on near native performance.

>new hardware
>BSD
Good luck with that.

PS4 uses x86 architecture. You'd hardly have to emulate anything since the processor and VRAM are very close to desktop PCs. If they used Linux anyone with a Linux PC would be able to play their games, providing they have a powerful enough PC. So all you'd need would be DRM cracks for games which are fairly easy to make, if you wanted to play them for free.
However, this could've meant Linux gaming would get more serious and Linux users would be able to use PlayStation's store to buy and play games.

damn. I want PS4 games on my FreeBSD...

Wait for leaks and dedicated developers to get this working. I think it's a much better idea to make dependencies/drivers for an OS than trying to emulate games on different OSs. It would have a significantly better performance from what I understand. Sure win/mac/gnu users would have to install a second OS but that's easy enough.

PS4 bios have already been leaked and their modified BSD is available for download for freeĀ©.

Only networking is from bsd. On other hand nes mini is on linux.

>did give some shit back
Like what? Whatsapp and netflix at least gave money so they can influence the project for their needs. Sony is just a leech with an ancient fork of freebsd.

They gave back patches that enabled AVX for example, having to redo everything every single console release isn't exactly a good strategy, of course they give give back.