/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Guide to making your own watch brand?
watchotaku.atlassian.net/wiki/display/swr/Design and make your own watch

Previous thread:

First for never gong to own vintage jap quartz scrap

suck my dick

You're missing out.

Posting my Japanese quartz.

c
u
c
k

Quartz is alright

Customer's serviced/restored Raketa, looks great and runs like a motherfucker.

If you're poor nigger.

I'm mildly amazed somebody shelled out to get one of those serviced. Seems like it would be cheaper to buy another.

>failing to troll

Does the timer function on that watch allow it to act as a stopwatch as well as a chrono? Been looking for something similar to that as it makes for a lot less math when lap timing.

Something interesting I'd like to show /wt/. This Miyota quartz movement is maybe ten years old, give or take. Since it was always set to English the sun sucked out the color of the English-language Sunday, but not the other one (Spanish or French, whatever it is).

It was the mans childhood watch you soulless nigger.

Naw, I can understand that. If it had no sentimental value, that would be a pretty odd choice, though.

Well if you buy a slavshit from Ebay you still have to service it 99% of the time. Only those will be in way worse conditions, since Ukrainians are fucking niggers, and their Ebay sellers are like the HMT salesmen of Europe.

pretty interesting senpai. That looks to be Italian however.

Italian then. Either way it's probably an EU-market model. It's from a corroded to shit Q&Q.

It has a lap timer functionality, if that's what you mean - basically works like a rattrapante.

Guess I got lucky, my Luch from eBay keeps pretty good time.

daily reminder that junkers > other watch

Explain to me why I should not spend on beautiful dress watches by fashion brands for cheap yet features Japanese auto but ugly autos by reputable brands instead?

>junkers
are you referring to shitters or the shitty "german" brand

Yes, that chinese-made case and dial really completes that off the shelf Ronda/Miyota movement.

Aesthetic-wise they're neat, so is Zeppelin, but technically they're absolutely nothing special

>Aesthetic-wise they're neat,
that's all that matters

>but technically they're absolutely nothing special
only autists care about that. also, it's not like there's been really anything revolutionary in watchmaking in like the past 50 years

Atomic clock satellite link.

my zeppelin

how does one acquire zeppelin?

>only autists care about that
Anyone ever who buys a mechanical and not a quartz cares about that.

>what are integrated circuits?
Literally the most revolutionary component of watches since lever escapements.

i bought it in store, but i live in eu.

Well when I first got the Speedtimer I decided to try and give it a full wind, sit it on my desk, and see how it faired. Came back and it had stopped after two hours. However when I wore it for a full day it stayed running just fine. And held its charge the next day. Giving it a full wind is hard with how short the crown is, but at least it seems to not be a problem with the power reserve. Have not officially checked it's accuracy but I would guess it is about -30 to -45 seconds a day. All in all can't complain too much.

Anyways as for my hunt for interesting textured Seiko dials/cases. Saw a few vintage models on ebay recently but not in good enough condition so waiting it out a bit. Maybe will grab this contemporary Dolce instead.

How long does it take for a dial to fade when exposure to the sun?

So /wt/... why don't you stash $50k at home?

Looks like that uses the same case as mine.

And this is why people hate YouTubers.

that's my next "to buy". How do you like it? I love the little red arrow hand.

It's pretty good, it uses a modified Ronda quartz movement. The original movement used a wheel for the GMT function, but on this it's been modified to use a 4th hand.

Buy the fashion watch. 50% of my collection is good looking quartz fashion watches that I love. People still compliment them because they look nice. Most people don't give a fuck what kind of movement is inside.

Horologists shouldn't get pissed at people who buy fashion watches, they should be wondering what the fuck reputable brands are doing so wrong that most people would rather buy a good looking fashion watch than their overpriced, bulky, ugly diver that looks the exact same as every fucking diver swatch ever made.

I'm Spanish and I can assure you that it is Spanish. It's been a while since I've seen one.

This... Seiko is a prime example.. OK so Invicta watches don't look great but they have really good steel cases and use the nh35 movement .. thy sell for 60-80 usd... why is seiko not making a simple steel diver with the 4r36 for 100 dollars... OK they certify it fine.. 150 dollars.. ok its made in japan fine 200 dollars.. but they put the fucking 7s26 in some ugly diving watch and sell it for 200... why? Why dont they make a dress watch with the 6r15 in a classy 36mm case with a simply nice dial no date day window and no lume? The cocktail time is so fucking loud. I want to like seiko so much but I don't want a single watch they make. Then we move on to GS. I personally don't want a springdrive watch but their high beat movement is phenomenal. I would love to own it.. but I don't want the watch it comes in especially not for the price it sells for. For some reason the nips just don't make desirable shit. its like the GTR. its just as fast as a Porsche Tubro,, its more practical.. and it costs half as much but I just don't want a fucking GTR i want a Ferrari or a Porsche because they are just nicer objects.. they have soul ... they inspire passion. I don't know i am a fucking idiot but it just really bothers me for some reason.

Vintage seiko man you mentioned maybe seeing my lord marvel when you see shane. Are you guys buddies or something ? How many years have you been seeing him? Please don't DOX me if my address is there or steal my watch thanks

What are you wearing today /wt/? These fucking scattered showers keep catching me off guard.

Nice rep.

Damn I thought it was real. Thanks for letting me know, internet detective.

Your welcome you club-footed turbo-nigger :^)

My usual.

Are you in the north east US?
I'm wearing today.

model?

nice rolex but its no armani

SARK005

Aight /wt/, need some advice. I have £1000 (about 1200 US for all you amerilards) to spend on a watch/ multiple watches. Thinking of either buying a few seikos like the alpinist and presage, or getting a used seamaster/speedy. Wot do?

I would personally get multiple watches. I like having different ones for different occasions, as well as not putting my entire watch budget in one place.

Get a nice Seiko and a vintage Seamaster.

idk i have some reservations about getting a 40 year old watch- how long do these things keep going normally?

They can keep going pretty much forever so long as they receive a service every 5-10 years.

/wt/ opinion on the steiny ocean 500? ik its normally a homage brand but they seem to have done a decent job here rather than copy the sub

Personally I think they look nice, but they're just a bit too big for a wristlet like me.

>those watch hands
come on now i ain't taking bait that obvious

get something like pic related.. you can't really buy anything new for 1k

big..

I'm not really a fan of Steinhart. If I were to buy a homage, it wouldn't be an expensive one.

I like the hands, specs, and price.

I hate the submariner hour markers and the blue rectangle with negative text.

I want to like the watch, but what turns me off the most is that Steinhart has ZERO quality control.

I am not the owner of that watch but it doesn't even remotely look fake I love that watch.

yeah i was gonna bring the marine 38 up in an argument and i saw a few photos of actual customer pieces.. thing is a fucking shitter

>go on ebay to look for a seamaster
>90% of results are from normies who bought the quartz diver and realised they fell for the memes big league

>the finishing on the band where it meets the watch

superlative

Quartz Seamasters aren't so bad if you can stand quartz.

Still undecided, /wt/

The Pelagos is more ruggedly handsome, but may get visually boring after the honeymoon phase.
Also I'd much rather have another lume marker instead of the date.

The Omega has a very nice design as well and the absence of a date window is a plus, but is more blingy; especially with the bracelet.
Also, yes it's Omega, but this particular model stands on its own merits.

I can get them for the same price btw.

buy vintage

Everyone on here hates the Coaxial escapement. I personally Don't believe it to be as bad as people make it out to be. The thing has a 4 year full warranty and is one of the most technologically advanced watches on the market .. especially at that price point. It looks better as well. The Pelagos is an all around solid watch with an excellent movement. You really can't go wrong either way. I really strongly suggest you try both on . I guarantee you will have your answer after they have both been on your wrist.

I can't. Even an omega quartz makes me feel like i just bought a casio with a fancy badge on it

I honestly don't get buying quartz watches.. it really makes no sense to me. The shittiest 10 dollar watch with 50 cent quartz movement will gain or lose less than 15 seconds per month... What are you even paying for the case? I see some guy post a multi thousand dollar quartz gs on here all the time and it just confuses the fuck out of me.

got my Swatch new battery.
Put the cheapest chink shit i could find because it deserves it.

all you need

*expensive quartz watches

i have a bunch of casios and shit like that

I completely agree. If you're buying a shitter frankly it doesn't matter if it's quartz or not, it makes no difference.

However if you're going to spend serious money on a watch why the fuck would you go for a quartz instead of mechanical. Makes zero sense to me.

Spring drive is significantly more interesting than standard quartz movements.

>my hobby is about buying expensive stuff

I guess some people prefer accuracy over interesting movements.

I just love the faces of watchmen when I bring expensive shit for servicing and the question "Is this your watch???"

I was not talking about spring drive.. the guy has an actual quartz gs. I think spring drive is very interesting however I would never purchase a spring drive watch personally.

What the fuck, why would anybody spend that much on a standard quartz movement? You can pick up a high accuracy quartz or even a dual quartz for a fraction of the price.

True but it's still just a glorified quartz watch in the end.

That's what your phone is for.

Sure, but I think it's pretty sweet for a hybrid.

why not just wear a t-shirt showing your yearly income?

>t-shirt
Thats something kids wear this days?
Lol

should I get pic related or wait till I can afford something like a used explorer?

It's really hard to resist the urge but I do own a couple of shitters already

Really up to you. Will it make you happy? That's all that matters.

RESIST the sarb is the hardest one to resist because you can always afford it but in the end its that cheap. Save that 350 for an explorer.

Assume this talking about the 9f GS that gets posted in here, which is a TC haq.

Plenty of interesting tech in quartz watches. TC, different inhibition approaches, high-frequency (262khz, 2.4mhz, 4mhz), fly by wire, viscous dampening, eco drive, complications (mechanical flyback, non-fly-by-wire sidereal time, etc), backlash protection, accelerometer-based power saving, ...
Not all quartz watches are created equal.

I guess that is pretty interesting.