/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-600
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro
head-fi.org/f/threads/beyerdynamic-dt990-250ohm-should-come-with-warning-label.853750/
innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break
innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-over-ear-sealed
youtube.com/watch?v=GqNbcgbXaCM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder
youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Best girl

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Hola.

rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-600

rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro

>DT 990 Pro is rated better in all usage categories than the HD 600

>b-b-but rtings is """inaccurate"""

>Budget
6 million shekels
>Location
Israel
>Source
Goyim tears
>Type of headphone
Jewish
>Open or closed
Ov(p)en
>Comfort level
Very comfortable
>Sound signature
Ideal for playing hava nagila
>Past headphones
Auschwitz deathphones

How long does it take for the DT 990 Pro to burn in and sound good? I got a pair fresh out of the box and they're sitting on my lap while I enjoy the sound and comfort of my HD598s significantly more.
I'm sure they get better with time/burn, but how long is this going to take?

Until it kills your hearing on the treble area. Then they'll stop hissing at you.
You should have gone for a neutral upgrade, user. Such as the HD600.
You can still return or resell your 990s.

>rtings
head-fi.org/f/threads/beyerdynamic-dt990-250ohm-should-come-with-warning-label.853750/

>burn in
stop memeing about memes, you're in too deep.

It will never have midrange response, hence it will never sound good.

Your HD598 sound "significantly" better because they're significantly more accurate and because DT990 are terrible headphones.

innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break
Dynamic drivers do not experience "burn-in." Changes in frequency response over time are attributable to physical changes to the earpads over time.

>Golden ears

I have the HD6xx on order, just wanted something new in the interim and the 990s were on sale.

>tfw I could get better headphone discussion on headfi than in this fucking thread
Nuke this all and start over.

I hope you don't kill your hearing in the meantime.
The HD650 being dark, you're not going to hear the treble at all after the beyerrape.

Shit compensation curve + heavy smoothing. Stop posting these graphs, you only make yourself look bad.

That FR shape... isn't this how Beats sound?

>Going from the DT 990 to the HD 6xx

That's a downgrade.

You're memeing me, so let me fire back with a meme;
I want different headphones for different types of music.

>rtings
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GE's old graphs were the best: done with a credible dummy head, sane, great-sounding treble compensation and flat bass compensation with their shitty retard niggerbass boost target superimposed rather than compensated in like on their newer, shittier compensated graphs.
>but muh smoothing
Only mildly reduces high-Q peaking. A trivial concern, and in some cases can remove dummy head artifacts non-representative of actual human ear canal response.

>innerfidelity
innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-over-ear-sealed

>M50x on the "wall of fame"

the ATH M50(x) are good headphones though

Beats are bass-heavy without the ear-raping Beyer treble.

So they're actually better than beyers? Cool.

If sound quality and comfort are the only things that are essential for you, then get the HIFiMan HE-400i. They have planar magnetic drivers and open earcups that help them deliver a slightly better sound than the AKG K702 and the Sennheiser HD 650. This makes them the best critical listening headphone under $400, especially since they are often on sale for much cheaper than other headphones with an equivalent audio reproduction.

If you want Bass, why the fuck wouldn't you just buy Sony Extra Bass?

Not quite.

The diffuse field curve sounds great from 20 to 1,000 Hz, but sounds too bright past that point. The old GE graphs were essentially diffuse field compensated from 20 to 1,000 Hz, but then featured a gentle treble reduction similar to that of the excellent ER-4S from 1,000 Hz to 20,000 Hz. A headphone on the old GE graphs would sound excellent, whereas flat headphones to the diffuse field or independent of direction curves will sound bright and flat headphones to the very flawed Harman target will sound dark. Those old GE compensated graphs really were extremely representative of a headphone's actual perceived sound.

>Beyerposters
>Can accept the fact that people like different sound signatures
>Able to have an intelligent conversation about headphones

>Sennposters
>Unable to accept the fact that people like different sound signatures
>Unable to have an intelligent conversation about headphones

Don't they have zero quality control though, often coming with two left earcups?

>mentioning intelligent conversation about headphones in a post which is one giant ad hominem + strawman

If you don't consider my personal sound signature preference as the pinnacle of all things audio, you're a shit!!!
Yeah it's pretty pathetic t b h

What if you own both?

Are you able to accept that people like different sound signatures and can still make good recommendation to other people?

>rtings

Prove that rtings is WRONG in their judgement.

Hint: you can't

Best soundstage I've ever heard desu, wider than even the K701. Treble is a bit uneven but after a bit of EQ, sounds amazing.

>if you can't prove this subjective criteria it means I win the argument
I see what you did there. Please stop shitposting.

I'm convinced that a properly modified HE-6 is a true end-game material but shame about HiFiMan's spotty QC.

>subjective criteria

rtings bases their ratings from measurements.

>rtings partially bases their ratings on measurements.
FTFY. You knew this, but chose to shitpost anyways.

>can't refute my point
>I've lost the argument so time to call him a shitposter

user, please. There is only one objectively correct sound, and that equals to the curve of the HD600. Everything else is garbage, you should know that by now.

Is there any reason to get a SHP9500 or K612 if I already have a AD1000X?

Just equalized out the Treble Spike on my Beyerdynamics and now they're perfect.

>true end-game material

HD 600 sound for a fraction of the price, along with better build quality and comfort

really makes you think hmm.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

okay but something a regular person can afford

50 grand? Sell your house and move back in with your parents.

HD598. You might think it's the HD599 but the 598 is better.

Yeah, I could see myself wearing those. $1300 is about three times more than I'm willing to spend, though.

Poor af

>that treblerape

That's pretty hot in the treble for $1,300. That's almost Beyer-bad.

t. mud pro

That's a regular 3 kHz peak with a high freq spark so you can accurately hear instruments. You can call it hot, just as hot as someone smashing cymbals next to your ear.

We listened to our fans of the Sennheiser HD 600, and we're now very proud to introduce the Sennheiser HD 601

Wow...I didn't know Sennheiser could make such a neutral headphone

Stock version has rape-y treble hence the need for dampening. SBAF has an extensive HE-6 modding thread which should give a reference on what procedures to do.

>modding
just EQ it away, that's free

>Guys? Anything a dB over 2Khz is treble rape but our beloved second in command HD650 is garbage because muh bass is putting too much pressure on my eardrums, it's painful!

Still no bass and treble :^)

Anything over 0.2 dB, you mean. Sennheiser owners can tell the difference!

>50% accuracy with 87% confidence is totally passing a blind test
Idol Trash has good taste in headphones but he was being an idiot last night.

HD580

Beating random (33%) with 87% confidence isn't a bad result, user.
0.2dB is too much if the result isn't equivalent to picking at random.

>inb4 settle for good enough

We have been over this. Random doesn't mean hard 33%, especially after only 16 tries. My random selection of buttons had a better accuracy and confidence than this guy who can totally hear the difference, but only 50% of the time.

>To pass a blind test, you will need to perform 10 trials at least, obtain a high score and reach a high confidence level: 95% is standard to rate statistical significance. It means that your score outperforms random guesses by 95%. There is still a probability that you just got lucky though, 5%. To reduce such probability to 1%, keep testing until you reached a confidence level of 99%.
Your continued damage control is making you look even more idiotic. Stop.

>by 87% not good enough
>by 95% good enough
>by 99% even better
>but stop right there.
Congrats! You got tinnitus.

Just admit you were wrong, user. You're embarrassing yourself.

Ironically, I can't go anywhere near that performance by picking the same answer 16 times. Spent last 10 minutes doing that :X
I do well to stay away from gambling.
>admit you were wrong
Yeah, I was. I should have continued or I shouldn't have posted non-conclusive results.

Still, the real mistake was to even entertain the idea that the performance of one component creating distortion below tolerance is ok. As if degrading the signal was ever ok. Every subsequent component is going to do that to some extent, and somebody's gonna have to listen to the result at some point.

There's only misery, and expensive cables.

0.2 dB of deviation at 20 Hz and 20 kHz is OK and not going to cause audible problems further down the chain with any competent amp. You're still wrong. Deal with it.

Oh yes, because not having a -0.2 dB change at 20 and 20k Hertz is a justifiable reason to spend more money on sound equipment.

It is if you have autism.

As long as umi still sounds good~
youtube.com/watch?v=GqNbcgbXaCM

It's possible to live with autism.
Source: Me.

>spend hundreds of dollars on audio equipment to listen to this trash

Explain to me why I should not buy a pair of HD6XXs.

>being idoltrash
returned my HD600s so I wouldn't be associated with their kind.

>hating on idols
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

Ok, what about if I treat my headphones with care?

*snap*

>Mudheisers

Is this acceptable channel matching for $150 headphones?

HD600 are better.

To be far, they look like they're having fun.

You could get better headphones (HD600) today, cheaply.
Why wait half a year for the less accurate riff-raff oriented version?

Measurements are not definitive representations of channel matching since very slight movements of headphones on a head/dummy head change frequency response.

This will never happen if buyers follow these instructions the moment they get their new HD600/650/6XX: youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U
This will greatly alleviate stress placed on the headband during use, preventing stress fractures.

Snapheiser is a well known troll with an interesting backstory to him.
He used to be a decent human being, but at some point he destroyed his hearing with beyer headphones. When at long last he got a hold of HD600, it sounded dark to him.
Then he snapped. Again and again. Taking pictures each time. Then shitposting on /hpg/. This is his life, now.

>Sennheiser refuses to fix a well known fault after 20 years of production forcing people to spend 90 dollars every time they want to fix their snapped headbands

Is there any way to make open back headphones closed? Like some kind of peripheral or attachment?

I bought a pair of open backs but I just learned about sound leakage and that to me is kind of a deal killer. I really like all the other benefits of open backs, but I don't want other people listening to what I'm listening to.

>headbands exist
>they can be snapped
>thus it's no surprise there are pictures of snapped headbands.
>snaphater discovered one such picture
>*snap*
>snapheiser troll is born