/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

asrock.com/mb/compare.asp?Models=Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac,AB350M Pro4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who is his semen demon?

Why do girls always put heatsinks on their RAM?

It's me. Hi.

hi femanon :3
I run arch linux.... buying gf, pls respond

I want to have finished building a pc by August 14, when I move to a different city to go to grad school. I want an nvidia gpu for machine learning projects.

How long should I wait to buy? Will prices drop? Should I go ahead and get everything but the gpu asap in case something is broken or something?

Supposedly more 1060s will be in stock late next week on major sites. Check then and set some notifcations if you can, assuming a 1060 is enough for what you need. I dont know shit about machines learning

Whats a non shit mATX AM4 board? I wanna build a qt Ryzen build.

You wouldn't happen to know if that extends to 1070s, would you? Basically a bunch of ML stuff is restricted to CUDA, which is an nvidia thing. There are workarounds, but having a powerful nvidia card is pretty much the best right now.

No idea but hopefully so. Sometimes amazon allows preorders.

I sold a 1060 2 weeks ago online and I got several messages from people asking if I have 10 more to sell

>built my PC $1100 7 years ago
>never turned it off
>moved to the other side of the country and had my dad just mail the whole thing to me without even taking out the parts first
>can probably count on one hand how many times I've cleaned it since then, not even a proper cleanup just a quick vacuuming
>haven't replaced anything except the GPU, not even the thermal paste, CPU goes up to 80c-90c whenever I run games on it
>still never turn it off
>it runs like a charm and I never had problems with it

Am I just a lucky guy or are computers not nearly as fickle as people have led me to believe? I'm looking into replacing it now because the thing just feels old, and it is a bit noisier than I'd like I guess but it still runs everything well, so I don't even really need to do it, I just want something new.

are there any differences between the X370 and B350 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon except the SLI support?

That's normal.
The typical things like cleaning and replacing thermal paste etc are best practices but not necessary. Just recommended to prevent any problems.

Which case is the best between Entoo Pro M, Eclipse P400 or NZXT S340? Is it comes down to personal preference?

when will pcie gen4 enabled cpu roll out?

is there a tangible benefit from going for alc1220 over alc892

So I've finally put everything together, turned it all on, and reached
Reboot and select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

This is "insert win10 disc" right?

Don't count on on-board audio chip...
Buy a usb dac instead

Here's my build btw, probably 1060 instead though. Anyone see anything wrong? Can it fit in a smaller form and still be quiet?

I work in a maintenance shop with two computers, a Core 2 Duo and a first gen i5. The computers have never been cleaned by the looks of it, there's a massive amount of dust and I seriously doubt they get any airflow really. They're still chugging along. You should clean dust and replace thermal paste about once a year or two for maximum performance, but PC's can take a lot of abuse before dying. (Dust in the power supply is probably the most likely thing to kill a PC)

>finally built a new desktop
>Win7 can't install because m-muh USB keyboard

Is openSUSE any good with Ryzen? I plan on doing web development with a bunch of node and npm crap, ML with Python, and RTS gaming with Wine.

I've got a budget of £200, stretching to £250 if needed. What's the best monitor for video editing. Total colour accuracy isn't required since it's amateur work, but it is a somewhat desired property.

I've come upon multiple evidence that contemporary onboard audio is very capable if you're not a audiophile with a $1000 9000ohm headphones

asrock.com/mb/compare.asp?Models=Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac,AB350M Pro4

Hey guys why is this allowed? ITX users get a powerful board with wi-fi, good audio, intel network controller, whilst we mATX users have to eat subpar shit.

The board I have has an ALC889 chip and it sounds absolutely fine through a pair of MDR-7506s. Unless you're an audiophile autist, you're unlikely to notice any difference.

fuck ryzen and fuck antisemitism

delid this sentiment

but the motherboard have so many components, electrical signal could have some interference, for example the power supplied to audio chip can be a issue, can its DC voltage level keep a constant level?

What's a good mobo for R5 1600 and GTX 1080ti?

>hesitate because I don't know what GPU i want and want to have a somewhat balanced mATX 1080 rig

>come back 24 hours later

>every part is now 10$ more expensive or "will ship within 1-4 weeks"

Guess I'm waiting for vega. Fucking hell.

Almost all modern boards have electrically isolated audio sections.

You need some storage device loaded with an operating system. Be it a cd or usb. If you instert it and it doesn't do anything open the UEFI and check that it's recognized

Might as well wait for volta if this mining shit keeps going

Don't get ab350 gaming 3
Shitty vrm, poor oc

Can someone recommend me a banging AM4 cooler? It's for a 1700X and it is running a little hot I think.

Noctua

Thermalright grand macho

The NH-D15 remains the best air cooler on the market, should you want to pay that much.

Thanks y'all I think I will be doing noctua my deepcool aint cutting it shouldn't have skimped on a cooler :(

even on a single chip design, we have to check the power pin's position to make sure it can supply other function pin close to it, so if all the function pin signal transition at the same time (higher electric current required), still guarantee no fault will occur. And that is a chip level design, we now talk about board-level design, I don't think it is that easy...

Any streamers want to help a guy out with a decent build for streaming both PC and console games?

Post your twitch

I stream on Hitbox

I just put together a Ryzen 1600X and MSI X370 Krait Gaming board. I have a stable overclock at 3.9 with multiplier at 39. All is good with CPU-Z and HW monitor showing all cores sitting at 3.9. I decided to try for 4.0 and bump Vcore up and multiplier to 40, but when I booted into Windows, HW monitor and CPU-Z shows all cores are locked to 2.2. This only happens at 40 multiplier and 39 multiplier works perfectly. Is there a fix for this in the meantime or do I just have to wait for MSI to push out a new BIOS later.

Post it

yay or nay?
Mostly for recording and video/audio/picture editing. Maybe want to experiment with coding once I learn it.

>streaming
>guy
waste of time tbqhwy

just built my PC. have a msi z270 sli mobo. I-5 7600k. when I hit the power button the EZ debug led for cpu flashes for half a second then nothing happens. is it a bad mobo?

Finished my first build ever, yadda yadda.
Ryzen 5 1600, 3000MHz ish RAM, went into bios enabled X-AMP auto, reboot, no boot.

My debug LEDs are coming on indicating CPU and DRAM, but what do?
Mobo is MSI B350 Gaming Plus

now kiss

pull cmos and try again

What the fucking fuck, none of these Linux distros work with Ryzen either because unknown chipset!

How big is the difference in temperatures and noise between a Single fan and a dual Fan GTX 1050Ti?

Is the RAM compatible?
If no. Reset the bios and leave it.

It got into UEFI before fine, listed the full capacity and ran at ~2100

Enabled xamp, no post.

I've pulled the CMOS battery, booted, replaced, booted, nothing.

Would moving a stick help?

You didn't answer my first question.

>I've pulled the CMOS battery, booted, replaced, booted, nothing.
You are supposed to leave it for 5-10 minutes then replace it.

Depends on what you mean by compatible. I didn't have an OS installed yet but it certainly wasn't complaining about it before.

Will see in 10 minutes.

>Depends on what you mean by compatible
There is no depends. Is it on the QvL list or not?

It's booting and the OS is installing.

Thank you for the help, Sup Forums.

No, but it posted fine before I enabled A-XMP

Ryzen is picky about ram right now. I have corsair 3200 ram on my taichi and I can't go above 2933.

It will take any ram fine but xmp is another story

>No, but it posted fine before I enabled A-XMP
Well that is the problem with RAM not on the QVL, they don't clock at the speed they are advertised to and when you try to, it gives you issues like not posting. If you manage to get your PC to boot, don't mess with XMP or RAM speed again and get RAM on the QVL next time.

If you aren't overclocking you should get the 1600x instead

What's the reason Ryzen CPUs are delivering better frame times than Intel CPUs? Well Skylake and Kaby at least. This is something pretty interesting I wish would be tested more often other than "who can push higher FPS".

Thanks, 10 minutes without the battery did it.

Any tips I should keep in mind going forward about messing with options around the BIOS?
I assume as long as I like flash a bad update or something I can recover from most anything?

*as long as I don't
I don't plan to intentionally go around flashing bad updates, or any I guess.

There is plenty of stuff you can fuck up in the bios. Like overvolting your CPU. If you know what you are doing then you should be fine. The Ryzen XMP issue is a pretty known thing.

I don't know what I'm doing.

But based on my mild understanding, overvolting the CPU will lead to instability right? At that point I'd definitely roll it back.

How does this look?

Jesus

Shitty SSD, get a 850 EVO.
Shitty HDD, get a WD Blue or a HGST HDD.
Shitty GPU brand.
You dont need a 1Kw PSU.

I already own all of these so i don't know what you expect me to do?

>Shitty GPU brand

Yeah, PNY is such a shitty brand that they manufacture Quadros for Nvidia.

Why do people buy 1TB drives? Don't the 3/4TB HDDs have a lot better value?

Overvolting will fry your CPU.

What you said is like comparing HP G and DV series to Elitebook series.

No body likes to read what i put in the text box do they?

Why do you have a 1600X, a chip that requires you to buy an aftermarket cooler, when you can just use the regular 1600? You can always buy aftermarket later.
I'd go for 2x 8GB stick RAMwise.

i already down a cpu cooler and i can get a free am4 bracket.

buy a 2 TB HDD for like $66 and conglomerate all that data on the 1 HDD
Also, that PSU is WAY overkill.

It's still dumb to purchase the 1600X, since you pay more for a chip that OC's to the same clock speed as a 1600.
Unless you don't plan to OC. In which case, it's still dumb, since the gains in a 1600X aren't commensurate with the extra money you put down. You might as well spring for a 1700 at that point.

I already own the psu. I could get rid of the seagate i have had it for over 5 years.

Added 2 tb got rid of the seagate and r7 1700

Is it worth getting RAM at 3200 when the X370 supports 2133-2666?

No it isn't, you fucking retard. PNY cards are all reference PCBs. They're Nvidia's closest AIB partner, similar to Sapphire's relationship with AMD. If you think PNY are shit, you think Nvidia are shit.

I've been considering building a PC for the first time and I'm trying to keep my budget down
Generally, are there any issues with using an old early 2000s case?
>pic looks similar, actual one's a bit bigger

Hi, I'm the guy who told you not to get the 1600X, because you end up paying more for what amounts to nothing.
Buying the R7 makes sense for mixed-workloads or workstation-esque tasks, not for purely gaming. Its value proposition disappears there.
If you are only gaming and don't care, and want to spend another $85 USD on another 3 minimum frames, that's your call. But that money would be better spent elsewhere, like on another 8GB of RAM or even a better MB. Assuming your funds are limited, it's poor budget allocation.

don't you need a hard drive?

gaylarry2001

unless they make x370 matx boards which i doubt they do why do i need more ram if im just going to be gaming? I will probably just go with the 1600x.

No cable management tools. PSU sizing might be wrong. USB port incompatible with case so you have to use an adapter or just not use the case ports.

Thanks user, I might actually get it out and see what the measurements are now...

Might be limited space if you want huge tower coolers. And the front intake might be restrictive, but that can be solved with a Dremel or hole saw. There might be no exhaust, but if you read up on the ATX standard, the PSU was expected to act like exhaust for the case. Airflow and width is only really an issue if you're interested in overclocking and using overpowered graphics cards. The HDD/floppy cage might restrict your ability to mount long expansion cards.

There are cases from that era that can fit 120mm fans, if that's important to you. Making your own hole for a 120mm fan isn't that hard tho.

Games are beginning to use more than 8GB of RAM. It's not too common, but it's already begun creeping into AAA titles. You can see this reflected in requirement recommendations (BF1 for example, etc)

I'd still recommend against buying the 1600X, especially if you plan to OC anyway. The 1600X doesn't OC better than the 1600. But it's your money.

>No cable management tools.
Zip ties

>PSU sizing might be wrong.
ATX is ATX

>USB port incompatible with case so you have to use an adapter or just not use the case ports.
One can probably adapt something found cheaply on ebay, but might be too much effort.

Is it more advised to buy every part of your PC at once or would it be ok to buy the GPU before the other parts if a good deal springs up for a 1070?

Depends on what you can use when. I usually buy the card when I want one, and entire cpu+motherboard+ram combos when i want those. I would probably only buy any one part if I could use it right now in my current system.

Don't sit on individual components month after month. You can end up with deprecated hardware that you never actually use while new releases flood in.

That looks fine I would say.
Agility 3 shoutout. Still using the 90GB model as my boot.