/vlg/ - Void Linux General

>What is Void Linux?
Void is a general purpose operating system, based on the Linux kernel. Its package manager, xbps, allows you to quickly install, update and remove software; software is provided in binary packages or can be built directly from sources with the help of the XBPS-SRC packages collection.

>Why Void?
-Its xbps package manager is spectacular.
-Its Runit init system is small, fast, intuitive, and DIY friendly.
-Every package has a Runit run script, and they're always small.
-Void Linux is solid, stable, and doesn't screw up.
-Both gcc and musl versions available.
-No systemd, unless you try really hard to install it.
-It's a rolling release.
-But updates don't break your computer.
-Works well on anemic computers.
-Lightning fast on well-endowed computers.
- XBPS-SRC to compile from source

>Where to start?
Void Linux can be found at : voidlinux.eu/

The wiki is at : wiki.voidlinux.eu/Main_Page

A Void Linux Discord is at : discord.gg/jgK53ay

Ask any questions about void and your experiences!

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/voidlinux/void-packages
twitter.com/AnonBabble

void is good but documentation is shit
not good for beginners and not very well known

>No systemd, unless you try really hard to install it.
Only advantageous for autists. People doing work on their Linux use systemd.

Calculate Linux
Gentoo
Slackware
Alpine Linux
Crux
Manjaro OPENRC
Calculate Linux

but i guess ^ doesent count.. you said people who like doing work kek

void sux

why

i never will use shit made by spics

What is the difference between xbps-src and pkg-src?

>Manjaro
>Crux
I otherwise agree with you--especially in terms of enterprise/servers/etc, but those two distros are most certainly not good for work.

Crux is a mess of crappy, hacky, build scripts, half of which don's work anymore, and Manjaro is built on arch.

Using void on my x220
Literally best distro ive ever used
Like arch except i get more battery life and preformance, i dont use aur so i moved

8/10 just doccumentation fucking sucks and community does too

If I am correct, pkgsrc is the package builder for *BSD, no?

They are practically the same except how it is used.

"xbps-src pkg chromium", for chromium

you have to go back

$ git clone github.com/voidlinux/void-packages
$ cd void-packages
$ ./xbps-src binary-bootstrap
$ ./xbps-src pkg chromium

You need to clone it and some other shit first though

Then why make xbps-src? Pkg-src is a perfectly good, cross-platform package manager. Isn't Void even being developed by netBSD devs?

In what ways does it improve upon pkg-src? It really seems like a non-issue.

That you can have a distro with another init isn't a problem.
That most servers run RHEL/CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu which use systemd is.
As well that many programs depend on it.
Programs that your colleagues expect you to use.

This is literally me. Except in my case it's my first distro, so I can't compare it to arch, but what I can do is bang my head against the keyboard every time I have a problem and have to spend hours researching only to gain a deep understanding of the issues and come up with a solution myself, because there sure as fuck aren't going to be any online.

- Update and install in one run (-S).
- One tool for all (apt-file for xbps-query -R -o, update-alternatives for xbps-alternative, aptitude ... for xbps-remove -o, dpkg-reconfigure for xbps-reconfigure and editing cofig file to pin for xbps-pkg -m.

And yes it is. XBPS-SRC packages are maintained by void devs and handled with extra love and care, desu

Wait, what other shit depends on systemd now? I thought it was mostly, like, gnome, which is irrelevant anyway

accurate
i get all my fixes from myself or forums / discords / etc

That xbps-src connects with the main binary package manager of Void, xbps obviously. Same way as makepkg and pacman do.

Lots that though don't directly depend on it, depend on another piece of software that in turn depends on systemd (eg chromium, lighttpd, mailman, subversion).

Is linux-libre in the repos?

devs say " currently not interested in providing another line of kernels."

sorry :(

>Crux is a mess of crappy, hacky, build scripts, half of which don's work anymore
Crux is the perfect distro as you get all the control you want but it's a pita if you don't git gud.

it's not an issue of being good or not. There's nothing more pathetic than being elitist about using a distro--of all the things you could be elitist about. It's not that fucking hard to get a distro up and running, and you must be incredibly stupid if you believe otherwise. Need I remind you that all distros are, in one way or another, just respins of the same operating system?

It's about being efficient. Does Gentoo absorb a lot of time? Yes. Does Gentoo give you a reasonable amount of control for the time you put in? Also yes.

That's where it matters. There are startups out there with servers running super-optimized, super-light implementations of Exherbo. You're not going to run Crux on production. Which isn't to say that Crux on desktop isn't viable--and I don't mean to say that there's no merit or /fun/ to be had in using Crux on the desktop--but in an enterprise equation, you would be the object of ridicule--even be Windows users' standards.

Enterprise. Work. Production. Things that matter. Not desktop. Not Crux.

Void is a perfectly good distro and I'm happy to recommend it, but this cannot possibly sustain a general.

>Discord
dropped

enjoy your color screen monitor

>We care about your needs

>In the last few month Void has grown to a point where we no longer can ignore the users needs and wishes. We noticed that we don’t know what you expect from a distribution like Void Linux and we decided to change this.

>Starting from today we plan to let every user participate in our upcoming package statistic database. Not only that, we are also optimising your experience with Void Linux based on your personal process table (ps) and your .bash_history, using a small cron job.

>This information will let us focus our efforts, and make the work we do help you more. This service, just like Void, will be provided free of charge.

>But that’s not all: Together with the statistics we’re starting to improve password security! Every Void system will get a PAM service that sends your password to one of our secured Amazon cloud servers and check it there against our password policies. We hope to use this information to help our users become as secure as they can be.

>With these cloud based solutions we believe that we can increase both the user experience and Void’s system security. Stay excited!

Why not, oh idk, ask them?
Fucking autists.

Void has the best aprils 1st shit

bumping because void deserves the front page once again

>discord
There's not a single advantage to this, they should really just come up with a ticketing system with user-end frontline input to streamline troubleshooting of problems faster.

Also I've always wondered how these projects get funded. I would love to start my own project but work takes all my time and unless i get paid i dont want to lift a finger

yes. a discord but not irc is not encouraging.