PCI card or USB dongle?

PCI card or USB dongle?
Antennas? How big/how many is enough?
Is usb 2.0 fine for normal speeds/favorable for compatibility?

Real question: Why are netgear/linksys such garbage?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band
twitter.com/AnonBabble

USB is more convenient , pcie will be more powerful . Did you know ants like cornmeal

If you're dealing with 5GHz or 802.11AC then you'll want a PCI(e) card.

>USB is more convenient
But it takes up a USB slot.
>pcie will be more powerful
How much more powerful? Seems like receivers of all types would be limited in how 'powerful' they can be. Sensitive more like (range)? Or just a wider bandwidth if you have a -powerful- router/signal?

I use a 300mbps PCi express card with in a x1 slot
I'm not sure if a x16 is really better because I have 20mb internet speed only
Regardless you should use PCI card until usb 3.0/3.1 wifi becomes the standard

USB 3.0 is the best tradeoff between speed, compatibility and ease of use. PCIe is faster but less compatible and in some cases may not work at all.

pcie has antennae, which means it has a better range. USB ones have internal antennae, meaning lower effective range. I have a $12 tp-ling pcie card and it's bretty good, compatible out of the box with both windows and linux

Wifi is for devices that move around a lot. If your computer sits still while you're using it install a fucking ethernet drop.

USBs can have antennas as well.

I have more USB than pcie
Plus a USB will be more versatile

I never had a PCI card that worked outside of the box.. I use windows 7 with updates disabled
Linux and FreeBSD is a different story though

This must be bait.....
Learn to read faggot!!

Do they really like cornmeal? never knew.
Netgear/Linksys-stuff is trash because it's meant for trash-usage (Youtube,Netflix, basic home-use). Both brands have higher-end products that are marginally better, but neither is meant for traffic-congested areas or serious home/business application.

he probably meant external, which is true.

anyway as for OP's question. Best bet is a usb one with an antenna slot, doesn't really matter if it's usb 3 or usb 2, your internet probably isn't faster than 100mbit which is only 1/4 of usb 2 speed anyway. If your router is in the same room as you or even in the next one, tho mini usb dongles work too.

>neither is meant for traffic-congested areas or serious home/business application.
which one is recommended?

>100mbit
in the real world USB 2.0 doesn't reach more than 24Mb/sec
There are a lot of people with faster connection than 24Mb/sec

How much more powerful is an external antenna, and why?

Are multiple antennas/mimo a meme?

if you are more than 25feet away from your modem use this

But why?

because 95% of wifi routers distribute underpowered signal

How does the antenna help that?

by capturing the internet frequency waves faster
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band

Yes and no. Antennae help, but at some point there are diminishing returns. At some point, the signal degrades too much to pick up, but generally, the more antennae, the larger the distance between then signal source and the receiver. Honestly, just route ethernet cables.

There are USB 3.0 wireless with antennas and breakway cables.

I used this one for several months every day 12+ hrs a day and never had an issue. No dropped packets, no lag, no disconnects.

do they really?

Aren't small antennas bad for range?

but my modem doesnt have built in wifi retard

Cable

yes my parents' home had an ant infestation once.

I got a fucking pci card for 60 bucks and runs like shit, even compared to a 15 dollar USB dongle BY THE SAME COMPANY. I have never had luck with wifi PCI cards, they always act like garbage