Just got my hands on some of these bad boys(some aren't working) some are, any cool project ideas?

Just got my hands on some of these bad boys(some aren't working) some are, any cool project ideas(both hardware and sofware)? Has anyone put linux natively on a PSP?

Stick em' on your boypucci
And install gentoo

Play videogames faggot

Make Freeshop for the PSP.

I had windows 95 on mine.

>he doesn't buy odroid and DIY PSP using 3d printer

there's a psp port of µClinux, it can't run normal linux as it has no MMU

Wait what? The PSP's CPU had no memory protection?

it's primarily a "single tasking" (sort of) system, there's also no need for virtual memory, as it's only designed to run software designed for it specifically, so should never run out of physical memory
so no, it doesn't have hardware memory protection

what stops you shitting all over the kernel's memory and gaining control?

considering it has been done several times, not a lot
the tiff decoder got hit a few times, overflows from a crafted .tiff picture on a memory stick allowed for complete system hijacking

That sort of thing would be good for gaining userland code execution, I'm asking about how you get kernel access from there.

I remember something like this, I think I even tried the TIFF exploit myself back in the day

considering it's been used to boot alternate firmware from memory cards, or overwrite the on-nand firmware outright, i'd say whatever access you get from it is enough
you can also modify the "OS" itself in memory, like for hiding your MAC address, taking screenshots, or even adding a new popup menu in which you can modify settings such as cpu/gpu clock speed on the fly

i got a psp fairly early, mine shipped with 1.51, and i got into the hacks/homebrew scene almost right away

You need a kernel exploit.
It doesn't have memory page permissions so you don't have to deal with ROP.

ROP has nothing to do with kernel/userland.

You need it if the system has NX.
Usually the executable stuff is not writeable so you have to work with what's already there.

i'm not sure there even is a userspace vs. kernelspace thing with the psp
remember MPH downgrader? it uses a modified savegame for gta:lcs, and upon loading the savegame, execution is taken over from the context of a running game and the new program is capable of overwriting the system nand
maybe it also involved a privilege escalation exploit, but i don't recall reading anything like that

Do you still have materials regarding any of the PSP exploits? they sound like fun

we're talking a bit over 10 years ago now
i got a lot of stuff (news and homebrew) from dashhacks and quickjump

Sure there is. Usually there are bugs in the kernel API and people make exploits for it.
This even continues on the Vita.

uofwd
yapspd

that's about all i know, i was mostly just interested in the result, with not much more than a curiosity on the "how"
i was only 15 when i got a psp (when it came out)

you should send me one thanks

DAP, E-Reader, Emulator.
And you have the PSX and PSP library.

a MMU isn't needed for sandboxing though

The 1000 series has infrared. That allows for all sorts of fun.

Not needed anymore, PSP CFW is easy as just an update.

PSP is /vr/ gold mine.

>yapspd
thanks for the pointer ^__^

ik it is, i've done this to myself and friends some years ago, I'm interested in the "behind the scenes" magic of it

Hack it and put emulators on it.