/tpg/ - Thinkpad General - forgot to bump edition

Previous thread: (Cross-thread)

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn (embed) (embed)

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175 (embed) (embed)

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed) (embed)

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1 (embed) (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=17GjboxqNuI
macperformanceguide.com/OptimizingPhotoshopCS6-Benchmarks.html
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470p-Core-i7-GeForce-940MX-Laptop-Review.226802.0.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for
>ywn have a modenr x series laptop with a butterfly keyboard

so I'm going to move into a very small apartment soon and I can't take my full pc tower with me, will a Thinkpad keep me safe until I can move to somewhere larger? I game occasionally and do use some large programs every now and then..

Not unless you get a relatively new one.

maybe a W530?
its thick and heavy but is very capable
depending on how large your programs are you could get a away with a T430 though

Where do you get your batteries Sup Forums?

I have my x220 for some time now . I did put 8GB and SSD into it and it works great. Now depends what games like play but even some 2d more detailed ones can lag as fuck. I had moments in mother Russia bleeds that would hit major slowdown. War of mine well that was just unplayable. Got myself Baldurs gate 2 on steam summer sale and it was smooth sailing all the way

The W530 is damn unlikely, i've been looking at the x220 but it looks like i'll either have to up my budget or pull back some expectations. Thanks for the help anons

I've got one of those still somewhere, 486 with Debian installed I used to use in 99.

user you havent exactly told us what programs youd be using
maybe x230 would be enough but I cant say really

Honestly I just wish they use that keyboard on some stupidly high end x series laptop

though the more I think about it 16:9 is wide enough to house a full size keyboard

its just a really neat piece of engineering

Btw I have the i5 processor in it but there are also i3 models around. For everyday shit posting ,TV shows is brilliant. Running Linux mint on it beacaue GF also uses it and something that is not 'windowsy' would be way confusing for her

Photoshop and TVPaint for certain, if I can squeeze more out from there I wouldn't say no to Premiere Pro and Illustrator. Beyond that is just standard programs and browser content.
That sounds pretty good man, but I am worried i'll need more than a casual station if i'm away from my main tower for too long, so hoping to run some more intense programs as above.

The keyboard is nice and the screen size was good for what I used it for: only console mode programming and ssh. I can see it getting rekt by cheeto crumbs and pubes though.

pretty sure you could get away with a X230
I have a T430 with a 3320M which is what youd get in a X230
I could try some test scenarios if you want?
fuuuck I can just imagine the crunch

I bought a T420 a few months ago. When I tried taking it apart to replace thermal paste, the screw on the heatsink clamp was superglued in, with no possible way of extracting it. I figured it was still okay to run, and then a few days later the CPU/GPU/something ended up making a strong plastic burning smell and it turned into a paperweight.

Couldn't return it since I didn't even look at it for a few months; outside of warranty. The seller had very good reviews and rating on Ebay.

With this experience I'm very hesitant to buy another used laptop, but I really want another T420. Was I just ridiculously unlucky or is this something that happens commonly?

Sounds like it would be better to go in the small PC case path. They can be a size of tiny fridge or smaller but still have a kick to them. Otherwise for vide editing you looking at some high level laptop

if you could find a way to try that out I would really appreciate knowing, thanks!
I was looking at this a little, I could attempt to move my current build into a smaller tower but I will take a look at a new build and see how the prices fair really. I am not really solid on the exact components so it might help me narrow that down too

>heatsink clamp was superglued
call the seller a shit head then buy a new heatsink and mobo
no thats pretty unlikely to happen

as for how much it'd take to repair it
>mobo is like 20-25 usd roughly
>cpu is another 20-25 (i5 2520m for default cpu, look at thinkwiki for other cpu options lenovo shipped with)
>heatsink fan is 5-6

optionally you could go for a quad core upgrade too though but youd need a dgpu heatsink with two heatpipes and of course a quad core cpu
personally not a huge fan but its an option

alright so Im downloading premier pro photoshop and illustrator (cs 6 for all of them)

for photoshop Ill do this
youtube.com/watch?v=17GjboxqNuI
or this
macperformanceguide.com/OptimizingPhotoshopCS6-Benchmarks.html

for premiere pro I think Ill just take something like a minute long 1080p 60 vid and try stitch it into a 5 minute loop try to export it

I dont know what to do for illustrator or tvpaint
you got anything in mind?

I actually used the Best Buy trade-in thing yesterday and got $110 for it, believe it or not.

>put laptop back together without even bothering to put in most of screws
>take out SSD with Win10
>take out 6GB RAM
>tell the employee that it has an i7 processor and Win10 installed
>tell him the reason it isn't booting is because it can't even turn on without memory
>mfw they bought it

Bought it for $180 so I guess I got my money back, need a new external HD anyway.

I had no idea that the parts were that cheap, though. I probably would have repaired it myself if I'd known, was just too frustrated by the whole ordeal, what kind of fucking prick glues in screws. Thanks for the tips, will try ordering a new one in the next few days.

honestly dude if you can do those first two and get results that will give me confidence about the other two programs since they are certainly more intensive. Thanks for doing this user, its really going to help me out

>open up a 18270 × 13089 image
>takes 2.5 seconds to zoom in and 5 seconds to zoom out on chrome
>cpu climbed up to from 17% to 50% (steam discord deluge and 25~ chrome tabs in background)
this is going to be good
>photoshop install took around 13 minutes from a mechanical drive though the cpu stayed sub 2 ghz most of the time so I probably got bottlenecked by the hdd
>loaded up the test image which is 30mb btw
>took around 3 seconds
>zoomed in and out for a few times
>nothing
>zoomed in and scrolled
>kind of hung up once but nothing after that
>used a stamp tool to kind of remove objects rather quickly and shittily with a 130 pixel brush
>no lag
>switched up to a 5000 pixel brush
>the brush lagged up to a second depending on my speed
though I am using a 240 mp image as a test

Ill try premiere pro now

also tried sharpening random things with 30% strength with quick motions
no lag

Does the T470p have heat issues? I was tempted to get the 2k resolution screen, is it any good? Got some student coupon so was able to upgrade some extra..

notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470p-Core-i7-GeForce-940MX-Laptop-Review.226802.0.html
notebook check is a good source
and quick glance says it does throttle
you might want to read into it though

How is the current Thinkpad e570?
I'm going to get it with the 940mx since I don't game that much and the 950 + i7 is an exta 350.

I've had the e550 and it's served me fairly well. Albeit a bit slow since i3 and igpu.

Is there any reason not to get the newer model?

Hey Sup Forums
I have a ThinkPad R51 and I love, but... a few days ago I dissassem bled it and cleaned it. Now shows an error (jpg). Click on the button, restart the machine, machine do things, but the problem still.
Some help? I Think is the bios, bexcuse I can't use Internet and chrome tells I need change the date, but the date is ok.

>tfw you fell for the XPS 13 meme
>tfw you paid $1500 for the i7
>tfw coil whine like a MOTHER FUCKER
>tfw dell customer care tells you to piss off

I sh-shoulda just gotten a t-t-think pad user. What have i done.

>tfw I blew all of my good boy points I've been saving up for years on this chink piece of shit and mummy won't reimburse me

Any good thinkpads available with amd instead of jewtel?

not really I guess
the e series is said to be cheaply made but if you dont mind it seems pretty okay
raven ridge isnt out yet user
unless you wanna get the awfully made plastic lunchbox or some really old thinkpad your best option is getting an sandy bridge or ivy bridge thinkpad before intel went maximum overjew

>tfw you live in a remote area of refugeevile so can just send it back within 30 days and still not get bombed

my shitposting station arrives tomorrow niggers. not a thinkpad so cheap as fuck and still comfy as a 3rd computer for light use

reply to not

its pretty nice user but
>1.8" hdd
ehh
I think you can convert that to msata right?
I found it for very cheap over here but no adapter and no hdd which is a huge issue since it uses 1.8" drives

my hp elitebook 2530p's 1.8 hdd died
loading up linux with a usb doesn't work, it says it failed to recognize the hard drive, which I removed

what model user

Is there really any point to getting a laptop with a dedicated graphics card?

Is it as bad an idea to use such a laptop as your main gaming platform as my gut tells me it is?

2510p

aaand time
24 minutes 26 seconds for 5 and half minutes of 1080p 60 fps on premier pro

>Core2Duo
>an older one for that matter
Not sure I'd go for this at this point, I'd want at least 3rd gen Core2Duo (2530p)

not that user
seems comfy
also its his third machine for light use so yeah

I mean if its your only option (ie dorm room or constant traveling) its kind of acceptable but if you have to option to build a desktop its definitely a bad idea

get a cheap msata drive with a msata to zif adapter as a replacement

i have an old ipod classic HD i'm using for now, but might get a caddy to replace the optical drive with. also already have an adapter from another laptop. if i didn't have these, i'd probably have gotten something else

for £26 shipped i think i did ok though
unless its super high end, it will just be an overheating mess with terrible battery life. buy a thinkpad and build a desktop

>cheap msata
all the ones on amazon are over 100 USD
also, do the adapters need a ribbon cable?

Different user asking about the GPU - I have a desktop myself but how the GPUs in the thinkpad E series? From what I've seen from reviews they're fairly okay. And I'd most likely just remove the battery if I'm at the desk plugged in.

best carry case/sleeve for X230? either it will have its own carry or i'll sleeve it and keep it in my bag

no the cable should be in your laptop right?
theyre nice to have
wouldnt call them necessary
they dont seem to have much thermal issues when paired with a ulv

the finish is pretty durable but any 13" sleeve should do
maybe one made for a 13" macbook pro?

also go for ebay
some chink shit kingspec goes for like 30-40 bucks

the cable should definitely be in his laptop

Was considering buying the T470s or the X1 Carbon (gen 5). Starting CS in the fall for college and I need some reliable that'll run linux well (and all around not give me issues in college) If any of you anons have advice pointing one way or the other I'd greatly appreciate it

i was referring to the battery life with an internal GPU when using it as a laptop. shouldn't have any problems with an external GPU

That's what I was hoping. I've checked out YT videos and it'll run what I need.

Though the comment about the CPU got me thinking, surely it wouldn't be that much weaker? I'm talking in terms of doing things like photoshop or running visual studio. Nothing major, just as a hobbiest.

thanks, got a good price for one

well user you could get either of those but you could also get a regular T470 outfitted with a 96 wh battery and not charge for days

e series doesnt have thunderbolt

wouldnt know honestly. havent bought one myself yet (still have to pay off some bills)

>t43p stopped turning on today

goodbye old friend

;-;

I have a cable but don't believe it's zif
I remember my old ipod used zif and the plug didn't look like this

I think apple did something odd with their cables?
not the first time tbqh

they look pretty similar to me

I need something to run slackware on for programming and possibly some GSGs/fighting games, if that isn't too prohibitively expensive. What get?

also 1.8" drives only came with zif afaik

here's the 2530p
the dead hdd on the left
adapter facing up on the bottom and the ribbon plug inside on the right

oh thats mini sata

Has anyone recently replaced the battery in their W series thinkpad? I'm looking at replacing the 55++ battery in my W510, I could get a 70++ battery for around 170 maplebucks but there's a new (in opened box) 28++ 9 cell slice going on ebay for nearly half that price.

I'm only getting around an hour on my current battery with only very light usage (just some rdp,ssh and maybe spotify running). I'm thinking about biting the bullet on the 70++ battery and if it's not delivery way better battery times I'll then look for another cheap slice. But I don't want to miss out on this cheap slice I can see on ebay now..

Also I'm worried that because this is a how power hungry W510, a new battery alone may not make a huge difference

or micro sata?
not sure but it should be one of them so yeah
youre right its not zif
the one on the 2510p is though like here (not my pic btw)

I was looking a slice for my T430 and my main concern was that the slice is worn out faster than the main battery

aliexpress has some disturbingly cheap slices, I dont want to risk one blowing up my laptop through the docking port if it goes bad though

yeah I wouldnt trust a chink with a battery even though oem batteries come from china too
better to go from ebay or amazon where you can return it worst case

How are Lenovo's shipping times?
They said 7 business days. I'm in Ireland.
It's either getting a low end thinkpad or just getting something from asus from a local store here for the same price. Build quality being the difference.

Ireland isn't the arse end of nowhere any more so providing they dont send it through an post then it should arrive on time

thanks but now I'm back to my original issue
when HDDless and trying to boot from USB it says
>non-system disk or disk error replace and stirke any key when ready
this is after pressing escape on the boot up screen/bios, and selecting usb

I'm hoping so. Last time I ordered one it took about a week. Went from China to Germany then UK then here. But I've also seen people say it was hit or miss, sometimes a month or more.

I could go with Dell too but desu, I've heard pretty bad horror stories about them.

yeah Ive got nothing
assuming you went through:
>booting with the hdd hoping the boot order takes over
>using the multiboot menu
>changing the boot order
>removing the hard drive and hoping the boot order takes over

it could be just a simple bios thing where the system needs a hard drive to do anything
even though that would be really odd

I've reset the bios and did a hard reset from hp's website for trouble shooting, set usb as the priority
I'm not going to buy a new hdd for this laptop if I can't solve this issue, which is why I came here

Does the 2530p have uefi? That causes issues sometimes?

New X1 is coming early. Supposed to get it tomorrow. Qhd with a 1tb SSD. I'm so pumped.

For real though, am I retarded for spending 2500 on an Ultrabook with a 7600u and lpddr?

>am I retarded for spending 2500 on an Ultrabook with a 7600u and lpddr?
yeah, this general use to be about buying old used laptops that work fine, not expensive toys for consumers

Just make sure it doesn't go through an post mate

I have a first gen X1 and it's the comfiest laptop I've ever used, and still milspec.

Company is buying it for me, so why not? Right?

>am I retarded for spending 2500 on an Ultrabook with a 7600u and lpddr?
>Company is buying it for me

I spent the company's money. Did I spend it irresponsibly?

no, enjoy the laptop user

depends on what you wanted
If you wanted one of the best windows ultrabooks with a keyboard nipple then hell no
If you where just going to sheer performance then

But people here are retarded and think that raw performance and price are the only thing that matters

I use the first generation X1 for development erryday and performance has never been an issue. Sometimes I wonder how hard some people think they're crunching.

I'm looking at getting an ideapad, are there any that come with numpads?

Looking to get a 9-cell battery for my T420; is buying a third-party one a bad idea? Official lenovo ones are upwards $70, third-party is around $20. They're from china.

I bought a 20 dollar chinese one for my x220t and gave it brand new cells myself, because the x220t doesn't have a oem 9 cell

What are some *40 or *50 Thinkpads with a good display?

I have T420 with peculiar issue, if I shake it I'll lose all sounds from the speaker and the headphone/mic port, ALSA/pulseaudio still shows the sounds playing, shaking the T420 back can restore the sounds.

Is this a problem with sound chip connections? I've opens it up bit couldn't find any loose wire.

Will getting a dedicated USB sound card solve this issue? What about wireless headphones?

My 9560 came early

How do you Sup Forumsentoomen keep your older model thinkpads cool? My x60 frequently hits 60c-80c.

How do I look for a x230 with an IPS..?

How good is W8.1 on a T420?

If I decide to go for W7 pro, can I extract and use the product key that came from the refurb dudes or will it not work?

>this thread again

it's just an old slow, low memory, crappy screen resolution shittop

move on to better hardware, idiots

type x230 ips into ebay
60-80c is perfectly fine
the product key is on the bottom under the battery
And I don't really know why you'd use win 8.1.
Just use windows 7 for lenovo power manager, or windows 10 for more modern windows

I'm more thinking of moving the heat from the palm rest. The temps are fine, but the palm rest is intense.