/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.golang.org/toward-go2
nim-lang.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw know how to program but don't have anything useful to make

How can I be a better programmer than my classmates? I'm a freshman at college and some of them already did *real* programming work, so their grades are all 90+ while mine are mostly between 7 and 8.5. Before university, I was mostly ricing muh Linux desktop and working with small scripts in Python -- nothing serious.

I do know more about GNU/Linux and system administration than they do, but programming-wise they're just better at most things.... I feel like shit.

I hope that by the end of my graduation I'll become a good programmer. Or at least better than these normgroids.

thank you for posting a muslim image

Do it for fun. Make stuff which you don't need outside of your classes. Learn more than one language - don't just use Python, use something more OOPy, use something more functional.
You'll only get as much out of your CS (?) course as you put in.

I'm not sure what you mean by tracking function effects. I can't really see how you'd parallelize what I wrote because output is execution order dependent.

The code I wrote should output (2 4 6) but if you call it say backwards, you get (4 4 4).

I'm really being smug anyway, The obvious solution is to define some map/pure that demands the function be pure for parallelization anyway.

Yes it's fine. Assembly is inherently simplistic, so once you grasp the core concepts, its learning new opcodes and keeping track of register values and the stack, but debuggers are really good at helping you with that.

>some of them already did *real* programming work
What's stopping you from doing *real* programming work right now? that's the best way to learn

blog.golang.org/toward-go2

"I'm focusing today on possible major changes, such as additional support for error handling, or introducing immutable or read-only values, or adding some form of generics, or other important topics not yet suggested. We can do only a few of those major changes. We will have to choose carefully."

Wait, Go really doesnt have immutable types?

Yeah, I'm studying CS. We're using the C language at the uni. Honestly, I didn't have time to do any side project while I was studying. CS is more time consuming than I imagined and I struggled to find time to complete all my assignments.

Now that I have 2-3 weeks of free time, I'll read a book on C (probably K&R) and another one on system administration, which is a subject I love to read about.

I had to make a game as my final assignment in the first semester. It was the first time I felt like doing *real* programming work. Tedious at times, but fulfilling at the end. ~1500 lines of code -- the longest program I've ever written (may not be too much for you or any other experienced programmer, of course).

Is posting muslims some ebin plan to epically trigger Sup Forums?

Its just to incite posts like yours, yes.
Then again, we have shitskins everywhere, so who knows.

>tfw enjoy programming
>tfw can spend hours in front of my computer totally enrapt while working on solving a problem or building something
>tfw will never get a job as a developer because I didn't study CS

Probably, but at the same time there's reason to believe it's genuine we know he's southern californian because no muslimposting occurred during time warner incident.

Samefag.

>because I didn't study CS

Should that really be a problem? As long as you can demonstrate that you are capable, then don't give up just yet user

You get to a point eventually where lines of code doesnt mean much

It's not really so unusual. Java, for example, doesn't have immutable types either. It has immutable values, but they aren't immutable types, they're final values of mutable types.
COUNTRY, where the grass was--A little man, put his hand, on Timothy's armWe should just improvise.

>start a long-term project
>get bought out by big corp / offered a job
ezpz

Thou working for anyone but yourself is shit.

Disgusting picture desu.

It kind of is considering immutable types are very useful, and help with performance in the right areas.

crusaders a shit tbqfhfamalamadingdong

>he is playing pretend knight while posting lolis
the crusades were a failure btw

Nice LARPing, faggot.

I know they were. They arguably did more damage to Europe than to Islam.
But we can always dream.

How am I LARPing? I'm not pretending to be on any sort of crusade.

Why? Many Christian denominations also have their women dress like that, didn't you know?

Maybe you should quit being so narrow-minded, user.

Indeed they do. And I find them disgusting too.
t. Orthodox Christian.

Quality programming thread we got here.

They had a substantial beneficial impact on the culture of Europe that directly led to the renaissance and the end of feudalism. The crusades implanted the ideas of social mobility and self-actualization into Europe through allowing peasants to go on those "pilgrimages" for self improvement (and fiscal improvement).

so many street shitters

set shitlist;
for (person &p: thread) {
if (p.religion != nullptr)
shitlist.insert(&p);
}
for (person *p: shitlist) {
thread.erase(*p);
delete p;
}

post your programming environment

This is now programmer's politics thread general.

As always.

How about no, let's not.

If you have a good portfolio, people will still hire you. It'll help if you know some CS theory too, but a degree isn't necessary.

Work on open source projects, and understand asymptotic runtime analysis and computability.

I wonder if there is a /leftyg/ on "4*2chan".

Is Perl a dead language? Is there any reason to learn it today?

There is one way to avoid this that is guaranteed to work.
Stop using pictures of muslims on /dpt/.

post your programming outfits

Nazism is not real politics.

um

Devolving into political shit flinging is exactly what OP wanted and will ensure they keep getting made with muslim OPs.

Perl remains the most important language for a sysadmin to know. It's basically the best bits of shell scripting.

It's dead politics :^)

naked desu, cant do anything in this hellish heat.

It also should be noted that the concepts of just war and western identity became ingrained into Europe, and while the offensive wars of the Cursades failed, they did prepare Europe to defend itself as one in later landmark defensive battles such as the Battle of Vienna.

PROGRAMMING.

Wrong, this was /d-double-p-t/ long before the muslims showed up.
The only real way to avoid it is to enforce global 3 and kick out all the assblasted brainlets who are so mad about controversial social issues like race, gender, sexuality, religion, and the economy that they literally can't go two minutes without interjecting their extremist position on the matter.

I replaced my previous chinkpad with a thin one like pictured. I hate it, it heats a lot, gets slow, fan is a shit and I get dmesg logs about excessive temperature all the time, even fucking MCEs because of overheating.

get a blackout roller shade, helps deflect heat from the sun

That chair looks really uncomfortable.

you don't write cooler code?

Don't you have to be defending /sci/ from racial IQ threads

Already have one and a fan on me, im just a bitch in anything hotter than 15C.

better ways to do this

srand(time(NULL));

I would but I'm out of fresh ideas

If you'd do that the user base of Sup Forums would be reduced by at least 50%

t. one of the aforementioned assblasted brainlets
(probably)

Read from dev/random. But that's gonna work fine for non-cryptographic uses of random.

But if you're using rand for encryption, then user... I... You're retarded.

does Sup Forums still hate sublime text?

Not that that would be a loss...

#include
#include
#include
void init_rand(void) {
srand(time(0)*getpid());
}

auto rn = uniform(1,11);

Racial IQ takes a superior high intelligent non liberal brain to understand. /sci/ can't even argue against the bell curve.

Depends. Is it unlocked with the NSA license?

there are no autos in C

i don't have sublime, but why would i use it when vim exists?

Yes there is, idiot.

I don't know why you would use anything other than vim desu. I use vim macros literally every single day. Doing all that shit by hand would be agony.

post code then

Called it.
Get out, this is /dpt/.

D's auto is actually the same as C's.

why would i use vim when there is nano

/* Compile with gcc -std=c89 */
#include

int main(void)
{
auto n = 10;
printf("%d\n", n);
return 0;
}
Completely valid C89.

>nano
>not ed

I'm learning how to program as a hobby, and for a couple months now have been making c++ programs. But everyone on this board seems to have disdain for this language. Why? Should I be learning another instead?

>Why?
It's a poorly designed clusterfuck.

yes
i don't know how to use vim

if you use a variable called "car", you must use the auto keyword

C++ is terribly complex and inelegant.
It is a very useful language to know though.

Rust, D or Nim
Really D or Nim

Keep the momentum. You'll learn faster and improve if you work on the language you're starting to get comfortable in. Also, C/C++ creates smarter programmers.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA
No. That's stupid.

Why?

>C/C++
Why are you grouping two completely different languages together?
Also, no.
C makes you smart. C++ makes you dumb.

Python and C# are both better as hobby languages. Less fuss, easier to get things done.

D is a literal deadlang which nobody uses.
Nim is an obscure memelang which nobody uses.
Rust is meh.

>me
I remember the first time you posted that if that's the case.
It was over a year ago.

still me tho

Never too late to learn user...

Macros are beautiful.

What's everyone's summer project? I made a ray tracer in Haskell, but have no interest in continuing development on it. Looking for something interesting to work on now.

what the fuck is nim?

i'm making a kernel that currently being used by tons of people

wanna help?

Then make things that aren't useful, but are fun.

I'm making a kernel.

currently making a bootloader

>D is a literal deadlang which nobody uses.
alrigh
Nim is already a Lua replacement.
Rust is shit ill agree, but everyone should form their own opinion on it.
a neat language
nim-lang.org/

Music signal processing in the ghetto of ring 3

compiler