/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/zPwQbj
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007625 601292786 600009028
pcpartpicker.com/list/QLDgWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/yRJ4WX
microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Has anyone actually bought a 570 for under $260?
I see them pop in stock for like 10 mins every few days and sell out within an hour.

There are still doable ways to build mid-range PCs for a reasonable price.
pcpartpicker.com/list/zPwQbj

>mid-range
>Pentium and a 3 GB 1060
That entire build is poverty tier.
into the trash it goes.

Cryptocuck genocide when

Hitler had the right idea

They make me so mad. I was about to nab a 580 when those fuckers took them all. I can't wait until something similar to ASIC is made for ethereum, if it's possible now or later.

How do you guys get W10? You obviously need it for games but you don't include it in your partpickers

here

I'm going to try Fedora Linux instead of Mint. A few minutes of Google indicates that Fedora might play nicer on AM4 than Mint.

Not viable for ETH but mining will become impossible once it shifts to proof-of-stake anyway.

Grey market keys from sites like Kinguin myself or you can just use it without activating it. W10 is basically shareware

What 2K monitor do you anons recommend for 200 US dollars?

you can get it free and just ignore the activation message or buy a key for like 3$

>windows enterprise
>autokms
what's the problem

>7700K
into the trash it goes

I WAS EXPECTNG TO BE SPENDING SUB 500
THIS IS NOT EVEN ALL THE PARTS REEEEEEEEEE

Literally any vista/7/8 key will activate 10. I have a ton of keys from old PCs I've found/fixed/family owned lets not forget that stores/library/offices yadda have their keys left out in the open on the pc still. Specially my job we have at least 200 computers in the back chilling with constant computers being sent out for drmo I usually take pictures of the key then.

spending €130 on N O T H I N G

>paying for doody
>being a europoor

>7700K

Delete this

Is it possible to view the Windows key on 7 using (control panel > system) where you usually view all the system info? Theres usually the windows key under the version when its genuine, atleast i believe its the windows key, is this correct?

no you need to download an app to view the windows key being used on a system. just google it, isn't hard to find.

What's up with LED strips, fans and 4pin cables. Are all made equal? I was given a pack of LED strips and some of those Thermaltake RGB fans and want to control it all with one solution behind the motherboard (build for my daughter). Will it all just work.dll if I plug it into a controller breakout thing?

New thread bump

Yes

1080p @ 60 requires at least a 1060. 1050ti will require him to drop a few settings.

If you're gonna spend all this money, don't get that garbage headset. Grab a SHP9500 or CB-1 and something like a v moda boom pro.

Need an hdd, should I get one of the HGST/Hitachi refurbished drives?

Sup Forumsuys, any improvement as a web developer coming from i5 3450 to ryzen 1600?

I use 3 1080p monitors currently. Can 1600 handle firefox with multiple tabs without stuttering?

where are the AMD ITX boards

Is it safe to buy win10 keys from kinguin or g2a? is it possible they could be fakes or fuck with your system?

If they are fake, charge back or contact CS and demand another key. Don't buy the protection like a fool. Also there is no way a key can fuck with your system.

As an australian the cheapest 2k monitor I found is the viewsonic vx3209 which is $400 aud at current exchange rate 284 usd, 2k is not a promising market all the manufacturers fell for the 4k meme.

Goddamn..
Well I guess I can always try next year

It's basically an auction site so just buy from a vendor with a good rep. I haven't had any issues and I've gotten Windows and Steam keys

Alright, Thanks lads

just pirate windows like a normal human being

You are just better off not activating W10 if you are that cheap. It is not like you stop getting updates.

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007625 601292786 600009028

best mobo for a ryzen 5 1600?

>muh itx
stop being autistic and get a micro atx like a normal person

asrock b350 something

MSI B350 Tomahawk

>2k
>200 bucks
Get a job.

>Seagate
>Gaming Headset

1060 6GB version.

That depends more of your gpu, ryzen doesn't have an igpu so you would need to buy a discrete gpu if you get a ryzen cpu.

I have already a GTX 1060, I still experience hangups on firefox especially once loading multiple sites with lots of javascript running. It takes at least 2 days before firefox won't respond anymore.

Does upgrading help in this scenario?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QLDgWX

Goals:
-144fps @ 1080p
-60fps @ 1440p
-VR games
-Game development

It looks like is cpu related, go for the ryzen.

With the i7-7700k overclocked to 4.5Ghz+GTX 1080ti you can do 1440p@144hz without a problem.

that's what I'm hoping, glad to hear it. I've been told ryzen might be better for vr dev, but since i'm not making exactly triple-A stuff should I be too concerned?

Go for the i7 is you want high frame-rates, you may even win the silicon lottery with a 5Ghz die.

ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED?

THE 1080Ti CAN GAME AT 4K 60FPS.
FUCK OFF.

i7? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Here:
pcpartpicker.com/list/yRJ4WX

>1800x
Don't pay attention to this retard.
Go for the i7 if all you do is gaming or the 1700 for better performance is multi-thread applications.

my current i5-3570k is OCd to 4.5 so maybe I'll win twice

>game development
>vr games
>you suggest intel
Go away.

*In multi-thread

Dear Jesus, I need help.

I bought a 1060, popped it into my computer. Nothing being output. I put my old 5850 back in, runs like a charm. Did this 3 times now, thinking maybe I didn't seat it right, etc.

Worst part of all this: no USB to USB cord on hand, which is the only way I can see to output any signal directly from my motherboard. Honestly, I thought GPUs were supposed to be plug and play as far as getting any output at all goes.

The fuck am I doing wrong?

You suggested something even more retarded like the 1800x

Upgrade your CPU.

You might have some compatibility issues.

Maybe it's your MOBO.

Just upgrade everything.

The 1800x can multi-thread like a badass.

And it's cheaper than the i7-7700K.

Processing speed that is slightly slower doesn't fucking matter.

Did you try with other PCI ports and different outputs (HDMI, DVI,DP).

Well I also do development, but the most important thing to me is gaming performance. I can gamedev and webdev with an i7 just fine I'm going to go ahead and assume. VE dev, it might be better to have a ryzen slightly, but even then I'm not sure how much better it is because I don't know anything about ryzen, I haven't built a PC or kept up with hardware in quite a while.

I mean, it's a 16x PCIe slot. Why wouldn't it be compatible? That said, it's an old ass board, LGA 1156.

But yeah, that's a luxury I don't really have just yet.

>1800x=420$
>7700k=310$
Is not cheaper memeboy.

The price listing was lower on PCPartPicker.

Leave.

If gaming is more important to you go for the i7.

Tried HDMI and VGA, no DP cord on hand.

Just the 16x slot. That said, it's running and re-detected my 5850 even after I uninstalled the drivers in preparation for the 1060.

>420
Blaze it, ryzen!

microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

literally free legal windows 10

thanks buddy. Everything else look good? The compatibility notes say that 2 of the m.2 slots share bandwith with sata ports so.. I've never had an SSD before but I'm going to assume that's not a big deal?

Because they price list it at $140 and on BestBuy.com

You leave.
>Amazon price:
See >Newegg price:
i7-7700k=310$
1800x=430$

>61367127
Nigga I love you, you don't have to lie.

am I not retarded I'm new at this
add $400 for the 1070, getting it from best buy

Something about that list hucks me off, but I can't put my fingy on it.

Meh phalange.

Make sure your m.2 drive and ram is in the compatibility list of your motherboard.
The list can be found in the site of the brand of your motherboard, in your case MSI.

Sure thing faggot.

Maybe get faster ram because ryzen and infinity fabric

how fast is good?

Well it really depends on can the mobo run it but i was planning on 3000 or 3200 ram. I suggest you google it for futher info

Maybe people around here like SanDisk. I haven't had much luck with them.

Faster RAM. Buy one stick of 8 @ 3000 or 3200 if you're already topping out your budget. Not running dual channel for a few weeks/months isn't going to kill you.

I fucked with a Ryzen build on a cheap MSI B350, so I can't speak for that one in particular, but their BIOS is hot garbage.

upgrade your fucking mobo, the same shit happened to me with the rx 460. Don´t be dense.

Part of it is just Firefox being shitty wrt to it's render engine or javascript interpreter. I get stuttering with it even on my 12-core Xeon workstation with a few tabs. Chrome works fine.

I want to change my shitty stock CPU fan. Should I get something cheaper like Pure Rock Slim, or is it worth it to pay a little more? The priority is to make my pc silent.

Go for an EVO

7700K makes zero difference at 1440p due to the GPU constraint even with a 1080 Ti. It has slightly higher averages at 1080p but with lower 0.1% minimums so more stuttering than a Ryzen 5/7 (or 6+ core Intel CPU). Overall Ryzen is smoother and you can perform other tasks without causing as much degradation of performance, which is particularly useful if you're developing and running a profiler or debugging tool.

Do not listen to the Intel shill, the i7 has marginal benefit in fps but ONLY at 1920x1080 and for that marginal increase in average FPS you sacrifice over 50-70% multithreaded performance. As a game developer that is fucking mental because you're always running other tools alongside a game.

Ok, help a guy out then, gimme the skinny on that there ryzen.

What do you want to know exactly? My suggestion is going with a 1700X with RAM that can achieve 3200 Mhz. OC it as far as you're comfortable (probably 4Ghz +/- 100Mhz) and you're set. Slap a decent air cooler on there to keep thermals and noise in check.

>t.ayymd poorfag
Go for the i7.

I found a 1080 for 500 bucks, which seems like a decent price regardless of the current price inflation. Normally I'd go for the __70, but they're floating around the same price.

I know I just missed a newegg sale, but does anyone know of any other sales in the horizon? GPU died so I don't want to wait around for months for the price to drop back down.

How "Marginal" are we talking? And is it seriously a 50-70% increase in multithreaded performance? That's shockingly high if so. And is 1700X the best one to get? Budget isn't too much of an issue so I want the best I can get.

Hitting 144fps @ 1080p is a pretty big must, so if that's possible with a ryzen then I'm happy with that

The bigger the heatsink is the more heat it'll be able to dissipate. Same works for fans, bigger fans move more air than smaller. So a bigger heatsink and a bigger fan is better at cooling your processor, meaning that you'll be able to slow the fan down and thus make the fan quieter.

With that said there's not really much of a difference if you're not overclocking as most aftermarket fans are rated for much higher TDPs. So a 20-30 dollar cooler should be quiet enough for you.

WAIT™ FOR VEGA®

Fuck off Raja

>And is it seriously a 50-70% increase in multithreaded performance? That's shockingly high if so.
It's not that high but the difference certainly is big regardless

kys