Raspberry Pi interest

My Raspberry Pi 3 comes in tomorrow and I have work off so I have all day to mess around with it.

I’ve played around with them in a tech club in HS, doing small things like Postfix.

What’s Sup Forums‘s favorite or most interesting use of them and what’s your favorite distro to put on them besides Rasbian?

Other urls found in this thread:

cnx-software.com/2017/07/06/vorke-z3-rockchip-rk3399-tv-box-review-part-2-android-6-0-firmware/
forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/1925-some-storage-benchmarks-on-sbcs/
forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/1440-h3-devices-as-nas/
aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-PC-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-Raspberry-Pi-2/1553371_32448079125.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>raspi
lmao orange pi and odroid master race

>i bought this thing
>now what?

put it in the drawer and let it gather dust for 6 months

You can use it to flash libreboot? Also makes a kawaii paperweight.

Not that interesting but I hooked mine up to a hardrive and use it for torrenting and backup

OSMC and put a heatsink on it
Avoid HVEC and you might at least get some mileage from it

Really though, you wasted your money

>he bought the meme pi with no specs

Enjoy the paper weight

Eh yeah, I have a good PC (i7 6700k, 1070 SC, 16 GB DDR4 2133 MHz) I just wanted something physical instead of a VM for once

use it for automation, etc

I just turned it into a console that even emulates ps1. Bought two bluetooth comfy controllers. All is well.

I got mine with the idea of dicking around with some of my old RC cars and making a roomba or something, but I never did that. Instead I just put Kodi, retropi, and debian with a startup script to launch Steam's in-home streaming on a single SD card and plugged it into the TV in my living room. Recently I've been thinking about using it as the brains for a solar powered atmospheric water generator, but the conditions here aren't ideal for it.

Media center, seedbox or mpd server

>comfy controllers
>non-independent dpad buttons

no

Code backup using gogs/gitea
File backup using rsync/duply
Cheap VPS for messing around
Testing device for honeypot/security software/iptables config
Media center/spotify relay
Automatic torrent/usenet downloader
Pi-hole
Home automation/domotics
Task automation

Mine had been most of these. Now it's gitea server and it alerts me by email when predefined events occur like bitcoin price falling or house temperature too high

I might sound retarded, but I think there's not even a single good use for a Raspberry Pi.
>too slow to be a desktop computer.
>too slow to be a decent server.
>better alternatives.
>uses proprietary software to boot up.

And by the way, my Raspberry Pi's have been gathering dust for more than 1 year because I cannot find a good use for them.

Same here. There's nothing the rasPi is really *great* at. Despite the great documentation on hacking them, the terrible Ethernet/USB design hurts their usefulness for heavy networking or heavy USB. I've gone over to the Orange Pi side and haven't looked back.

>doesn't everyone need digital signage in their home

Meanwhile, we run 400+ of them in production environments at any given day.
There's probably alternatives, but everyone can work with these and the sheer information available makes them beat most competitors in our settings.

We'll probably switch low-load applications to WiPy soon though

PiHole

IRC bot.
RSS crawler via flexget.
Deluge torrent box.

I have 2:
Rasplex for a dumb TV
RetroPie

ODROID C2 MASTERACE

A dedicated system for uptime screenshot competitions.

Pis are for custom projects. Build it into a Gameboy, turn it into a fb radio, build a poisontap.

It's useless as a server unless you are the poorest of poorfags, in which case you're better of with a car system for the same price. It's a horrible Nas, and for any small server just make a VM on your home server.

They Excell in community support, for fun diy projects.

There's many boards with slightly better price or better specs. But none of them have as many guides for projects.

For what exactly?

>What’s Sup Forums‘s favorite or most interesting use of them

Low-performance low-cost NAS. RPi3 + 2x2TB USB 3.0 harddrives = cheap-ass super-reliable NAS.

Can anyone backport qBittorrent 3.3.x to Raspbian Jessie? I tried compiling it myself but it's dependency hell.

I'm not going to wait around for Raspbian to finally move to Stretch.

Try fedora
It has the latest qbittorrent
Currently using it. It's pretty stable.
Dnf is really slow though

Install gentoo on it.

>pretty stable
If it crashes at all I'm not gonna use it, the pi doubles as a battery-powered alarm system.

I’ll definitely look into this, I’ve been wanting to do a NAS for quite a while instead of constantly buying storage for my PC or using a cloud I pay for

>fedora
Installation instructions:
> Make sure you have a keyboard, mouse, network cable and monitor connected.
Dropped.

Is it safe to touch the raspberry pi? Like what if I static it or it gets water damage form sweaty fingers or I bend something trying to force it into a case?

Anyone telling you to get a raspi pi for a NAS is so stupid. There are other cheap sbc that have actual good bus speeds for Ethernet and usb

The Ethernet and usbs are share the same 100mbps bus. I love how you specifically say usb 3.0 when on the raspi when youll get like 50mpbs at BEST transfer speeds while the other 50 are used by the Ethernet

Name one device with at least two USB ports and an Ethernet port that runs Linux that's faster and cheaper/same-price as Pi 3.

If you want a beefy NAS you can get a NUC or some other mini-PC, but that's already four or five times the price of a Pi.

True, performance would be much better (NUC can do gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0) but it's not the same price.

I stuck a Pi 3 and a 1TB USB harddrive at my grandma's house with Couch Potato and qBittorrent and now granny can download movies on her own and watch them on TV.

fite me irl

>Name one device with at least two USB ports and an Ethernet port that runs Linux that's faster and cheaper/same-price as Pi 3
Orange Pis.

odroid c2 is cool but i wish it could boot from usb like the pi3

that is the only lacking feature

its a shame because the c2 has Gib eth and seperate usb/eth/wifi chipsets

>inb4 orange pi
theres barely any documentation and armbian is not mainlined with all the recent security

also there isnt a real sata version thats in teh same price range
(most run over usb)

Orange pi, banana pi, pretty much any other pi has nonretarded bus speeds for Ethernet and usb.

Really no reason to ever get a raspi pi over other pis but normies are too stupid to know. Let alone understand what the term "bus speed" even means.

Youre also too stupid to take 3 seconds of searching to find the answer for yourself

neither can /boot/ from usb port

only pi3 can

What cool things can a normie do with it.
Will have summer break from uni until october and maybe there is cool shit to do with it.
Maybe a clock or something similar easy?

>Orange pi, banana pi, pretty much any other pi
And they're all more expensive. You can get a Raspberry Pi 3, case, power adapter, and aluminum heatsinks for the price of an Orange Pi board alone.

For a quality NAS you can always get a NUC. For a quick one-task server I'd rather use a Raspberry Pi which runs Debian reliably rather than some Allwinner board that crashes all the time.

>And they're all more expensive
wait what

The orange pi is only $10 more than the RPi what are you going on about?

Be more specific.

>what are you going on about?
Allwinner board with bad kernel support, crashes.
More expensive, doesn't come with a case and a power supply.

That's what I'm on about. You want a solution that works, get a Raspberry Pi 3, even if it's slow (50Mbit Ethernet / 30Mbit WiFi is enough for grandma). You want something that flakes out and has no support, get an Odroid-C2, Orange Pi, or any of the other "better" alternatives that don't work.

Odroid-C2.

On paper, the fastest single-board computer at the $40 price range. In practice, an unsupported piece of trash that runs a custom kernel that barely works.

Go ahead and blow your money on a shit sbc I don't care. There's also like 8 models of the rpi but it's clear from context which one we are talking about. If you're too autistic to figure out which orange pi model is the analog to the rpi model 3 then you're too stupid to use it for anything meaningful anyway

>projecting

>bad kernel support, crashes
works for me lad :^)

>I use words without knowing what they mean

Ah yes boot from usb so the 100mbps bus gets split 3 ways by the OS, external drive, and the Ethernet port

Why are rpi fanboys so stupid?

Can I use a wireless keyboard/mouse with the pi? Having a bunch of wires coming out of a tiny box sounds totes chaotic!

Why haven't I thought of this

Using one for a mumble server,

Pi-hole is the only thing I imagine I will ever use it for. It's too slow for non-standard video (muh animes) and retropie. It's a terrible device, but it just werks.

>It's too slow for non-standard video (muh animes)
And if you're like me and need to use AC3 transcoding you're SOL because it'll lag the fuck out everything making it useless.

I'm looking into making a mini war driving pc and somewhat of a personal pc. Planning on using antergos and kali and hooking up an LCD touchscreen what do you Sup Forumsuys think what's good for me I was thinking of a raspberry pi 3, but they are pretty pricey, I've got a budget of under $55.

I used one for my capstone design project a few years back. It's good for robotics projects where a uC doesn't have enough memory for the tasks you want to perform. You have to have enough circuit knowledge to not cook the GPIO pins though.

The large community provides some security in terms of plug and play software.

I typically run Alpine or the Raspbian-lite image and then just SSH into it.

I'm planning on setting one up with a CRT with some music visualization animations done in OpenGL just for muh vintage aesthetic.

I used one as a router in a pinch when my main router died.

>They Excell in community support, for fun diy projects.
I'll grant you that the community is ace, and I admit that some of their howtos on device trees helped me succeed when working with my Allwinner boards, but there's nothing really compelling about the hardware, which does some things needlessly poorly. I could say much the same about Arduino.

There are any number of Allwinner boards with GbE and multiple, direct USB host ports. Bonus: even the USB 2.0 ports support USB 3.0 UASP for a few more MB/sec with a USB 3.0 SATA bridge. You need to get out more.

Sure you can, but it's complicated. You rebuild u-boot with USB support and install it to the SPI NOR flash.

>real sata
Allwinner's "real sata" has some performance problems. A good USB-SATA bridge can be faster.
>not mainlined
4.11.3 seems pretty mainlined to me.

my pi is learning how to shitpost

Which board should I get for squid for about 5 devices?

Anyone try the banana pi? Is it stables for anything?

Which board should I get to use squid with about 5 devices?

You don't even need an expensive UPS, get a 5V 2.1A cellphone external power pack and plug the Pi into that.

If you actually used Allwinner you wouldn't recommend that shit. You're jerking off to the on-paper specs without considering all the real-world shit that Allwinner brings.

Mine is coming in tomorrow or Monday. I'ma make a VPN and a pihole attached to a free dynamic DNS so I can keep my connection and have no ads anywhere as well as a VPN for whatever.

>Fuck Jews and their advertisements

>Meme Pi 3

Just get an Odroid or cnx-software.com/2017/07/06/vorke-z3-rockchip-rk3399-tv-box-review-part-2-android-6-0-firmware/

I should buy the last three for my cluster soon.

what do you run on these things
do you just manually compile everything to run on it?
is there a good arm ecosystem?

what's the name of these controllers and how good are they?

>implying i don't use Allwinner and consider all the real-world shit that Allwinner brings
ok
forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/1925-some-storage-benchmarks-on-sbcs/
forum.armbian.com/index.php?/topic/1440-h3-devices-as-nas/

The Armbian build system and prebuilt images are bretty gud for the SoCs they support.

8bitdo NES30 Pro

>steam
How? Moonlight/limelight? exagear? or some other way?

any cheap boards that have at least 512MB ram, quad core cpu and comes with emmc? i know the CHIP does, so i was considering that.

i wanna make my own little high availability 'cloud' just to mess around on

aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-PC-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-Raspberry-Pi-2/1553371_32448079125.html
$15 each, but comes with 1GB RAM.

literally this.