/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your stupid questions here, and google them first to be courteous.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/6017087
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How can I do stuff like this on Win10? Already got Linux but I want to also pretty up the botnet.

Never mind, previous (current) thread: This is what I get for searching "sqt" on the catalog a dozen times and anxiously making a thread, since the other isn't tagged sqt. At least this one is tagged.

What models of the x230 came with IPS screens?

When will the new generation of Nvidia cards come out?

Most of them, you can check the TYPE serial number under it to confirm if it uses TN or IPS display.
Ask more info in

Best budget laptop around $250 for taking notes in class (Can fit a backpack easily).

So, I accidentally exceeded my data cap the other month. My ISP reported me and some FBI agents showed up last week with a warrant and seized all my computer hardware. Apparently, using that much data placed me in the "high risk" category for being a terrorist.

Anyways, they didn't find anything, but now they're refusing to return my hardware? What should I do? My lawyer is telling me that the legal battle would cost more than the value of the electronics.

make them pay for your lawyers as well

I missed the 1.5 billion epoch moment. Did any Sup Forums image get it exactly? If not what was the closest/the first 15xxx image?

realistically, how retarded is it to repurpose my 5 year old computer as an "offline server" (just shoving a bunch of hard drives in there and configuring them as RAID 1 and not having it connected to the internet or even my home network), so if i want to move some files from it to my main computer, i would have to connect an external hard drive in order to copy files from one computer to the other.

is this retarded? I don't want to access it online or even from my home network. And it will be powered off when not in use (and also use full disk encryption with VeraCrypt/ButtLocker).

How do I reset 2 HDDs used in Raid 0? Format or undo the Raid in the BIOS?
I want to delete everything, to use the drives on a new PC.

If such a computer is useful to you, go for it.
What are you going to use it for, though? Encryption or some shit? Unless you're a CA or something that's going overboard.

I currently have 4 external hard drives (only half of the total storage is usable because I'm manually mirroring them in case of data loss etc), but it's quickly becoming a clusterfuck due to needing more storage space soon.

My use of it will simply be offline storage.

I have a ga-78lmt (rev 5.0), for some reason my ssd doesn't run at the best speed.
If it's my sata ports restricting it, could I fit a PCIe card with sata 3 ports and run my ssd from there? I can't find out if my PCI is the correct one.

Same thing happened to my friend a while back. Just wait until they send you the bill for the honor of being accused and investigated. He had to pay over $20k for them to do forensics on his own shit.

Can this happen in Canada? What are the numbers of the data cap and how far you exceeded it? Is it exceeding it at all which places you at "high risk" for being a terrorist?

Some scary shit. Sorry you had to be subject to this.

What's the best way to censor information on an image?

pixels
maybe vectors

Hey, same user from the last thread talking about DBAN. Found Hiren's Boot CD and it didn't give me that annoying error finally. Problem: the data wipe apparantly took half a minute to destroy all 300GB. I'm skeptical about that actually happening. I booted the HDD and instantly returned to the BIOS menu, but I'm still skeptical. Anyone here knowledgable about Hiren's version of DBAN? Perhaps confirm if it really doesn't take that long?

Pic related

Will updating my iphone 6s to ios 10 slow it down?

If I reinstall windows or install some linux distro, do I need to do anything to my hard drives other than the one I'm installing on?

e.g., I have an SSD for OS and several HDDs for media, if I install ubuntu can I still access all the stuff on the HDDs no muss no fuss?

visual studio 2017. i'm trying to add reference. but it doesn't seem to work. none of my projects show up in the reference manager, and if i chose to browse and add a project, nothing happens when I click add. whats up with that? would really appreciate an answer.

Yes, I used to dual boot Linux and windows and could still access my media from my other drives fine.

How do I web development in my free time without javascript ? I don't want to get into this ES mess but every semi-basic functionality like dropdown menu is much easier with JS.

I do django now (I come from a scientific background so python was the easier way for me) and everytime I want to do semi-basic shit like a dropdown menu I struggle and end copypasting JS like a faggot

Is there an alternative to this meme language that is JS in scrub webdev ?

Ok i'll bite
What the fuck
Where was it
Why is this allowed

Best C/C++ IDE that isn't V$?

Absolutely not retarded.

if you want no setup go for QtCrator, if you can stomach a little setup go for emacs, you can do anythig with it pretty much, been using for a couple of years and still amazed it's not more popular(iḿ writing this from emacs btw).

>QtCreator*

Simple question:
I have an old athlon x2 5600 CPU, don't want to throw it away just yet, so gonna try to overclock it.
What software (windows) should I use to monitor it's temps?

>i'm writing this from emacs btw
teach me, senpai

Is there a similar buyers guide as on /tpg/, but for used desktop like optiplex?

anything will work, HwMonitor is what I use but there's pretty much no difference really, all it's doing is reading a sensor i think, hell you could write your own.

Yeah, of course anything will work, it's just I never monitored my temps and don't want to download some random malware from using google.
Thanks, hwmonitor it is then.

just M-x eww RET or google w3m (i prefer it, but eww is built in so yea)

So because you are writing from emacs here it does support JS, r-right..?
Can you browse any websites? Does it support emacs (or vim) keybinds?

I meant not emacs supports JS, but eww and w3m?
I tried links, elinks, but none of these worked for me.

How do i look for a no-degrees-required IT job in Ireland?
>experience helping run an internet cafe
>experience as a freelance computer repair guy
>no programming experience or certificates whatsoever

i don think so, i'm still able to read and write just fine tho (i have the pass so i don't have to to the captcha, might interfere with it) For the times I need Js I just use conkeror.

Chrome runs a bit sluggish in my low-end ultrabook (Intel N3050, 4GB RAM)
What are some good browser alternatives that run good with youtube?
Also how can i maximize win10 to the extreme? already disabled the botnet shit, visual effects, and startup applications.

>Chrome
It's too late. Google already has you by your britches.

I mean Firefox is slower, usually, but the new multiprocess feature drastically sped it up. Try the Firefox nightly/developer edition. Also use Winaero tweeks. The best advice is still to install Gentoo though, user.

bump

I can't regex
Why does "sed 's|/*|/|g'" place a '/' after every character? Shouldn't it just match any repeating occurences of '/'?

Well I dunno about Ireland specifically, but based on experience your best bet would be entry level helpdesk call centre work of some sort.

Get in at the ground level and try to learn as much as possible and eventually you'll advance, either at that company or by changing jobs. It's what I did.

That basically says "any one 's' or any zero or more '/' or any one '/' or any one 'g'". The '/*' might be a problem depending on what you're doing because it could match with anything.

OH. Right. Then I should be using '+' for 1 or more matches?
Still doesn't work, mind you, but it helps.

This werks: sed 's|/\+|/|g' You have to escape + in sed

Ok, I'm gonna do it. Thanks for your replies!

Should I stay with Windows 10 for buttlocker + software RAID 1 or folder duplication (not gonna use Windows 10 Storage Spaces since the new AES-XTS mode apparently corrupts the drives instantly).

I've been looking at StableBit DrivePool which by the looks of it has some kind of support for BitLocker. Since there is a free trial available I could probably just play around with it, and even try VeraCrypt aswell.

I also looked at FreeNAS which boasts encryption and raid and whatnot but I have very limited experience with GNU/Linux and none with *BSD.

Are these retarded options? If yes, I could just stick with the good old JBOD and then mirroring the folders manually with FreeFileSync or something.

Sorry for the long and incoherent post, is pic related any good? I have zero experience with hardware RAID (if the product in the picture even can do that)?

I got it working with -r right as you posted. It all makes sense now, thanks.

emacs: GUI or terminal?

I have a windows.old folder on my hdd but i cant restore it with windows utilities. how else can i try to restore it?

So, on sankaku complex, occasionally some images show up with pic-related redirect logo. It's probably because I have ublock + ublock matrix.

How can I get rid of this shit?

chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/6017087

Thaks for the (You)'s

I'm downloading a 15gb public torrent, it was going at 10mb/s but after the first 10gb the downloading completely stopped. Did it kick me off or something? It only uploads at 500kb/s so do I have to wait a few days for my ratio to balance before it will let me download more?
I dont normally torrent big things like this so I'm not sure if this is normal, didnt expect a public torrent to care about seeding/leeching.

It means nobody seeding it has the torrent downloaded at 100%.

If the available seeders only have 10GB done, then that's all you'll get.

Probably bottlenecked by the seeder/s that have the last 5 GB

gui, by far. The terminal display has its place, but is a niche one and populated mostly by people who already know they need it (constant remote acess where the terminal makes it easier for ex).

Stream read = respStream.GetResponseStream();
if (respStream.StatusCode == HttpStatusCose.OK)
{
Image _pic = Image.FromStream(read);
try{
_pic.Save(location, format);
_pic.Dispose();
}
catch (Exception ex) {}
}

why does it keep giving me generic GDI+ errors? It's not read and write permissions, while it may be some not finished loading image problem, how can I address it? I tried

Image _pic = Image.FromStream(read);
Bitmap pic = new Bitmap(_pic);
try{
pic.Save(location, format);
pic.Dispose();
}
catch (Exception ex) {}

but nothing changed...

C# BTW, forgot to mention

How do set up a super simple server on my android? I just want anyone who knows my IP to access output.png in my pictures folder(which is the only file in the folder)

excuse me if this is too Sup Forums but there's no way I'm going to that shithole

I got into minecraft again and all my chest and inventory items are completely empty, item frames aand paintings are dropped, and signs display everything as an incorrect value. I've determined that this is because I downgraded my world from v1.8 to v1.7, which changed how item values are stored and corrupted everything.

Is there a way I can recover these items? I have an old save that has all the chest items in it, but I've made a lot of progress on my world since then and don't want to do it again.

I can elaborate more if you need me to.

recommendations on a simple video editor software (deal with layers, fade, images...).
Camtasia lags the audio in the preview and I want precision.
or
Which board is the one to ask for this kind of shit?

Reupgrade to 1.8?

Never tried it, but I heard Cinema4d is really good. May be overpowered if you need a simple one, too. Otherwise you could always use Windows Movie Maker ;^)

I just finished my new computer and the thing keeps turning on and off on start up. I tired moving ram but I didn't help. How do I fix this?

Wanting to try out graph databases. Which would you recommend? Currently deciding between Neo4j vs OrientDB.

All the item values are lost though, 1.7 didn't recognize the new data so it just deletes it instead of ignoring it.

honestly WMM isn't that bad, and it can export in 1080p60.

Problem I've been encountering with it is that it can't seem to edit extremely large videos without crashing towards the end of it.

what's the best linux distro for samba file sharing use, no DE, no bloat like office, music, video players, etc.

oh, and supports non-pae cpu

*BSD

What's better for making music, LMMS or Ableton Live 9? My sister got a copy and she gave it to me, but I've been using LMMS for much longer and haven't really touched it since then.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

How do I format a FAT32 drive with a particular cluster size on Linux?

i'll try out nas4free, i guess

I'm having trouble trying to install Anaconda for the Mit edx course.
After the installation, when I run the Anaconda Navigator or Spyder it says "kernel Died" then all the shortcuts disappear and I can't find them in the Anaconda3 folder.
I'm using Windows btw.

What's a good retard-proof way to learn javascript? I'm talking becoming competent enough to do front end web dev. I have some experience before with java from when I was a student but I haven't programmed in about 2 years. I'm pretty good with HTML/CSS, how do I get good enough at javascript to apply for a web dev job?

What's a decent LGA1150 mobo for around 70-80 bucks? Or at least which brands are more reliable?

i burned gentoo live to a dvd and it throws me into a busy box prompt what the fuck is this shit

>mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /mnt/livecd failed: Input/output error
>mount: mounting aufs on /newroot failed: Invalid argument
>!! Failed to $1; Failing back to the shell

and then a busy box prompt

-s and -S
man mkfs.vfat

Hello, I am having a problem with my z170p motherboard: my computer keeps rebooting while playing games/3d rendering, giving me the anti-surge error screen. I deactivated the anti_surge, but my computer still reboots. Here are my specs :

Intel Core i7 6700K
Z170-P (LGA1151)
16.0GB Corsair VENGEANCE
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (EVGA)
Seasonic S12 II Bronze 620W

I thought the problem came from my psu, so I sent it back to the re-seller, whom tested it for a week straight and told me there wasn't any problem. I'm a little clueless on what to do right now.

I was inserting a USB drive in one of my old computers and I felt a mild tingle of electricity from the outer metal of the USB stick.
Is this device unsafe?

is there anyway I can reset my uefi without being able to see my screen? I switched the graphics settings from peg to idg without thinking and now I can't switch because I can't see. Should I just buy a dvi (the only output that goes through my mb)

sorry if this is the wrong place of asking, i couldnt think of anywhere else, or another board at least
anyone know the best place for watching full or at least substantial past webcam shows? thanks

I HAVE NO PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE WHERE CAN I LEARN PYTHON FOR FREE?

Also should I start with Java(not javascript) instead?

I need some help.. I''ve no idea what happened but yesterday my pc froze and I forced shut down, then it restarted and it was all fine till today, now windows image previews (or thumbnails whatever is the name), for both image files, video files and folders, they all disappeared.
What could be causing this? I can't shitpost anymore without previews.

FUCK never mind, I have no frigging disk space left in OS partition.

For about a week now i have had real bad issues with high ping on LoL and even watching twitch.tv it stutters on auto quality even low loads like 240p.
I have tried everything i can think of. Please help
Also ipconfig shit seems to do nothing i see.
Update:
>Run mtr to twitch.tv for 1 hour and then post results.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 93 | 93 | 1 | 3 | 38 | 3 |

| lo0.lns20.bne7.on.ii.net - 7 | 73 | 68 | 59 | 310 | 626 | 428 |

| xe-1-3-0.cr1.bne4.on.ii.net - 6 | 77 | 73 | 38 | 306 | 616 | 428 |

| ae6.br1.syd7.on.ii.net - 7 | 73 | 68 | 214 | 456 | 749 | 573 |

| ae0.br1.syd4.on.ii.net - 7 | 73 | 68 | 75 | 338 | 636 | 440 |

| te0-0-0-0.br1.hkg2.on.ii.net - 6 | 77 | 73 | 191 | 440 | 751 | 554 |

| prolexic1-lacp-10g.hkix.net - 9 | 69 | 63 | 193 | 434 | 752 | 555 |

|a72-52-2-176.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com - 6 | 77 | 73 | 149 | 431 | 744 | 556 |

|a72-52-2-183.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com - 6 | 77 | 73 | 199 | 457 | 765 | 571 |

|a72-52-10-14.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com - 4 | 82 | 79 | 202 | 447 | 770 | 522 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Why is it that programming bores me so much? I like using computers, and I appreciate when someone turns a genius idea into reality through programming,
heck, I would love to know how he did it, but whenever I even think about opening Visual Studio I instantly want to do anything else.

It may just not be your cuppa, no worries. You don't have to know how to program

Is it good to buy used processors?

xps 13 9360 with arch linux
trackpad is fucking garbage
it constantly fucking locks into "scrolling mode" meaning 1 finger trying to move the cursor only scrolls

xps 13 users out there, what drivers do you use for this shit

Im downloading something to a thumbrive, using qbittorrent. There is another pc in LAN which seeds.
Problem is download speed is choppy. what can cause this?

probably ihas to do with allocating space on the usb thumb stick maybe
not sure

Java is good if you
>need to get a code monkey job
>need to know OOP for something else

After 30 min
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 1556 | 1556 | 1 | 6 | 295 | 2 |

| lo0.lns20.bne7.on.ii.net - 3 | 1405 | 1367 | 20 | 112 | 626 | 170 |

| xe-1-3-0.cr1.bne4.on.ii.net - 3 | 1425 | 1392 | 20 | 113 | 616 | 170 |

| ae6.br1.syd7.on.ii.net - 3 | 1421 | 1387 | 146 | 250 | 749 | 294 |

| ae0.br1.syd4.on.ii.net - 3 | 1429 | 1397 | 35 | 140 | 636 | 188 |

| te0-0-0-0.br1.hkg2.on.ii.net - 3 | 1421 | 1387 | 146 | 239 | 751 | 297 |

| prolexic1-lacp-10g.hkix.net - 3 | 1425 | 1392 | 148 | 239 | 752 | 297 |

|a72-52-2-176.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com - 3 | 1425 | 1392 | 148 | 242 | 744 | 297 |

|a72-52-2-183.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com - 3 | 1429 | 1397 | 162 | 255 | 765 | 311 |

|a72-52-10-14.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com - 1 | 1505 | 1492 | 161 | 258 | 770 | 218 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Hello, a software on your computer might be responsible, but it could also be another device (ie smartphones)
Check out Net Limiter, it allows you to set limit to any program, both for download and upload speeds.
This torrent should work, but no guarentees there won't be a virus or something.
www.1337x *DOT* ir/home/locktime-software-netlimiter-enterprise-4-0-30-0-crack-sadeempc-torrent-%D8%AF%D8%A7%D9%86%D9%84%D9%88%D8%AF/

Chromebook. Use crouton for linux if you care to.

Also if you like the software please consider buying it, I bought it after 3 years of illegal use.

Right...
So let me get this straight...................
You want me to download something from a dodgey ass link to LIMIT my ALREADY RESTRICTED net?
Is that correct?
I will not buy this because i dont know what it does. BUT IF BY SOME FUCKING MIRACLE IT DOES SOLVE MY PROBLEM i will consider buying it for a millisecond