Redpill me on powerline adapters

Redpill me on powerline adapters

They're shit but in some situations less shit than wireless

This

Throughout is OK but expect dropped packets and rubbish latency

they send your internets as pulses through the actual fucking power lines and somewhere before the power company there is a device supposedly listening out for internet vibrations

Ethernet > powerline > Wi-Fi(especially if your router is dogshit)

set one of these up for gaymur friend. router was okay but signal wouldn't reach. tried these and got better performance than he ever got on wifi. do recommend.

They worked great for me. Had Devolo 500 something or other with wifi. Sometimes the connection drops but you either unplug and plug it back in, or reset that particular adapter and put it back into the network.

Great thing about it is it's one standard so adapters from different manufacturers will work with each other.

All in all, very happy with them.

botnet.

Mine work fine, but they might not work for you. It depends 100% on the house you're going to use them in.

Ethernet is best.

But sometimes WiFi is better and sometimes powerline.

It largely depends on the layout of your electricity lines. - are the two rooms you try to connect on different groups that are only connected at the switch box several floors down?

I've had to order some because the WiFi on the Ps4 is absolute dogshit. Wireless works fine on my pc, phone and tablet but my Ps4 will sometimes drop to like 0.5Mbps and make me lag like crazy. Hopefully these work because my only other option is to get fibre installed and I can't afford that right now

They send the signal through indoor electricity wires, the receiver filter all the noise (there is lots of noise) so you dont have any loss. Not sure how fast it is but is stable.

maybe
it's possible
i can imagine a worker in some chinese factory modifing the firmware to create his own **huge** botnet

/thread

>in most situations better than wireless

there fixed it for you. These things are amazing.

/unthread

Is it possible to use these to transmit a signal from one apartment to another one in the same building but on different floors?

At home, we had to choose PLC due to unreliable WiFi coverage. In my experience :
>85Mbps adapters worked fine but were slow.
>200Mbps adapters worked fine.
>500Mbps adapters worked fine.
>650Mbps adapters were unreliable with frequent (1-2 per day) connection drops, even after several firmware updates.
>1.2Gbps adapters work fine (using a 3-adapter setup right now, pic related)
Disclaimer : I live in a old house (~1950ish) but our electrical wiring is ~7 years old.

1Gbps adapters 50ft apart across circuits in a newer home (post 2000) = 25Mbps realized.

Look at bonded coax or RJ11 for better performance but otherwise the powerlines work well enough.

you know they come with encryption right?

Otherwise your neighbor could plug an adapter in and theoretically if your power lines are wired in the right way, he could connect to your network.

So ever since the early days of these products they've had manual pairing via a button press, or software configuration for private key encryption so someone can't just hop on your network.

so is powerline networking like an extended ethernet cable that goes through your normal AC power vice long cables everywhere/wifi?

that's either due to shitty electrical work in your house, or shitty adapter.

Try one of the 2gbps ones, I get over 400mbps realized 3 floors away.

I live close to a street with powerlines and these adapters make it seem like I have a wired connection straight from the modem.