Pyra

Any anons remember the Pandora? Well this is the Pyra. Run by a new team, so won't semi-fail like the Pandora did. Can we get a discussion on this? Anyone preordering one?

Other urls found in this thread:

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/
amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-22000mAh-Li-polymer-Smartphone/dp/B01G1XH46M/ref=sr_1_10/145-2600780-6284736?ie=UTF8&qid=1500070339&sr=8-10&keywords=external battery
amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-Flash-MUF-128BB-AM/dp/B017DH3O5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500070449&sr=8-1&keywords=low profile usb
amazon.com/Verizon-Ellipsis-Jetpack-Mobile-Hotspot/dp/B00R8N1Z56/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500070576&sr=8-2&keywords=mobile hotspot
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Forgot link
pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

I don't know man, back when Pandora was a newer idea mobile phones weren't as powerful as they are now. This whole idea is kind of antiquated since you can bring around a ThinkPad x2XX with a SSD and have a much more usable machine for most likely around the same price or cheaper.

But can you fit it in your pocket?
That's what I think is most appealing about this. I can fit it in a pocket and take it anywhere. With the ports, USB and mini-HDMI, I can easily convert it into a full desktop pretty much anywhere.
Plus, I can't run debian on my phone, possibly some you can, not sure, but not mine.

there are lots of useless things that will fit in my pockets. Doesn't mean I want to carry them around or spend $700 dollarydoos on shitty hardware and a tiny keyboard

>that price
>that shitty screen
>thick as a brick, it's even brick red
>that shitty keyboard so they can fit those shitty game controls
I thought the whole idea was that we can go back and apply modern technology to make UMPCs what they should have been

This could completely replace a phone, though. This can do anything a phone can do - and more.

What do you expect from a small company that isn't making millions of units?
Screen is 720p, you think you actually would want some 1080p on a 5 inch screen? Really? 4x the computing power for no noticeable increase?
it even says
>other colors
The keyboard has had dozens of polls and revisions, it's supposed to be really nice. a lot of R&D went into the keyboard.

>shitty keyboard
>gaymer controls
>weak specs
>overpriced

yeah no, even the gpd whateveritscalled is a meme but at least that's a little decent

>This could completely replace a phone, though. This can do anything a phone can do - and more.
can it send/receive phone calls and SMS? can it run snapchat?

I don't want to carry around an autism brick just because it runs ganoo linux

Even the GPD WIN is a better option than this shitheap.

>runs windows
>has shitty keyboard
>did I mention it runs windows?
>doesn't have USB ports and expandable memory
>Doesn't have GPS or 4G

yeah, if by a little decent you mean it can actually power on, then yes, you are correct.

It has 4G with SMS capabilities, yes.
It can run snapchat inside an instance of android. Just need an external camera if you want to take a picture.

>better at being a paperweight

well now I want one. I've wanted to ditch the huge pile of shit that is the modern smartphone for quite a while

why not just use an ssh client on my android phone and buy something like this?

Well you don't have to ditch your phone unless you want to. You could just use it as a regular pocket laptop. It's awfully difficult to play a PS1 game on a phone, but this makes it simple. It can also allow you to play Diablo II anywhere, and many more games actually. Possibilities are endless.

I guess if you want to lug around a keyboard and usb cable everywhere and only be able to use shh, then sure... but the Pyra can do so much more. I dare you to try to play Diablo 2 or a PS1 game over ssh on your android device, tell me how well that works out for you...

>What do you expect from a small company that isn't making millions of units?
I'm not really expecting anything out of them, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy it
Do you have this or something like it? I've been looking for a good phone keyboard and stand

>base model is 500 euros
seems pretty steep to me

>I guess if you want to lug around a keyboard and usb cable
it's a bluetooth keyboard
>I dare you to try to lay Diablo 2 or a PS1 game over ssh on your android device
I don't play video games, let alone play on handheld devices when I am out in public
checked

I do not have such a keyboard but I plan to get one when I buy a new phone.

Well I like it it's a shame it has a shitty 5 year old arm processor found in the Nexus 10

Gpdwins controls and keyboard looks like ass.

Hopefully the fact that a competitor, the SmachZ, got revealed as a total scam and fraud, will help pyra sells since it's cool someone is making a Linux handheld

No, that's the point, I really, really do want to. The pocket-laptop stuff and vidya gaymen is just gravy. Modern phones piss me off to no end, if I can get a little thing with a keyboard that runs Debian and can be easily repaired, I'd be very happy to never deal with Google again. They don't make phones with physical keyboards at all anymore. (unless you get a blackberry, and that comes with its own problems) Removable batteries are pretty rare, as are SD cards. And buing a phone entails a lot of research to find something unlockable that I can flash a ROM onto and rip (most of) the botnettery out of. This thing, if it can indeed do phone stuff like SMS, would solve lots and lots of frustrations for me.

That said, I want to wait until the thing actually comes out, instead of preordering anything.

Think about all the fucked up things we can do in the hacking world with this thing. We can make this a portable kali autism machine and penetrate all sorts of networks while looking like we're playing animal crossing.

Just get a gpd win...

Actually a real product, and it works well.

It's still a keyboard.

Well, the hardware is there for SMS, someone just needs to write the software. But with as many devs are on this project it won't take long for that to happen. The Pyra is also upgradrable so in the future there could be faster CPU, better screen, etc.

Yet still doesn't even do a third of what this can do... so nah.

Are you actually retarded? The GPD WIN it's literally just an Intel Windows 10 computer.

How in the name of fuck are you implying a Linux shoebox with the power of the old Nexus 10 from 2012 is even comparable?

Even if you're autistic and want Linux, the GPD Pocket does that for the same price, with non horseshit build quality

What can the Pyra do that the Win cannot? I believe you can run SteamOS on the Win...

You don't even need Steam OS, just run fucking Steam.

Instant full PC gaming library, any emulator you want, any media format you want, etc.

>Angry birds processor released in 2010 can do more than last gen atom

R O L F
O
L
F

Oh so the GPD Pocket runs a full debian system and has expandable memory, GPS, 4G, USB 3.0, OTG, gaming controls, and mini HDMI? Well sign me up!

Indeed but to be honest Wine is actually better for older games with DX9.

Good win has 4gb of ram and is functional

>run zsh
>easily run mpv
>Run anything debian compiled for ARM

Pyra has 4GB of RAM and is also functional... I fail to see your point.

It's a literal shill you idiots.

Yes actually...

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/

^ If you need to be autistic and have a Linux Machine, the pocket does all of those, and they have actual working models that have been reviewed.

Otherwise yes, the Win has literally all of those except "Muh Linux", and if you're serious about wanting a mobile console, I can't imagine how stupid you would need to be to give up in Windows game compatibility

Someone shilling this autistically hard id assume you'd at least browse the pyra forums to see that the 4gb model is plagued with bugs and crashes, ie is not functional

I'm no shill. I just really want this thing and I thought a lot of people here would too, seeing as what it can do and basically you can have full debian pc anywhere you go.

Yeah but can it run Crysis?

I don't want it for the games, that is just a bonus. I want it cause I can go anywhere and have a mini linux laptop with me.

It was a timing issue, I'm sure it's fixed by now.

> THIS THING IS GREAT

But another product already exists, does everything better than this piece of shit prya, and costs less.

> BUUUUUT MUH LINUX

Literal shill, there's a better product available for less already. Stop trying.

GPD WIN

>ARM
nah

>indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/

On little nub mouse? that's it?
Pyra can use the analog stick for mouse and shoulder buttons for left/right/middle click
Plus no gaming controls... what if I want to play some FF7 or Dino Crisis? or SNES games?

The GPD Win can ironically.

Moto + Moto keyboard

>This could completely replace a phone
Unfortunately it can't, desu the best interface to manage small decides is the one current mobile phones use. Devices like that one would be really uncomfortable to use and even if you do prefer it most people won't.

How is it better when it can't even do a third of what the pyra does? Specs aren't everything. If it can't do something the Pyra can do then it doesn't matter if it has 100x the specs, it simply can't do it.
It's a niche device and if you can't see the appeal then it's not for you.

It's like someone wanting to buy a skateboard and you're all OH MAN BUT A CAR IS FASTER but they're like but does it fit i your backpack? and then you're all, BUT IT'S FASTER!! IT'S BETTER!!!

and you're all comparing two different things and says one is better because some arbitrary reason

Then get the fucking GPD Pocket, it's a better product, it already exists and has been reviewed, costs the same price, and has 5 years more modern hardware.

On top of all that it is a Linux PC, so your whole "muh Linux" argument is pointless

Again, what is it that your pile of shit can do that the GPD pocket/win can not do.

I'm waiting.

be somewhat open source

It doesn't do emulated games well, the Pyra has dedicated gaming controls... how can you see that the GPD is NOT the same when it LACKS these functions??

also
>non-removable battery

hahahahaha. wow. yeah...

have dedicated gaming controls? use a shoulder button to click the mouse? REMOVE THE BATTERY? microSD support? integrated 4G?
fully released specs, I mean everything, every design spec they own is available.

I mean really, are you even trying? The GPD does none of these things...

Autism then

>I'm being proven wrong, so I'll just accuse them of having autism.

>>nonremovable battery
I've dealt with "removable battery" devices with more painful battery changeout systems. Just 6 screws needed and you pull the cable out and change the battery.

It's not even 100% open source, you retard. There is no point in getting a shit bulky umpc with an ancient angry birds processor.

> Game Controls

GPD Win, literally look at a picture of it

> Shoulder button

Also supported on the Already released GPD win, Both have a touch screen and the pocket has a ThinkPad style nub

> Removable battery

That you're planning on charging how exactly? You would need to put each battery in the unit, charge it, then put another battery in and charge that one too before any work.

Also what is a battery bank, because guess what the Win/Pocket charge off USB

amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-22000mAh-Li-polymer-Smartphone/dp/B01G1XH46M/ref=sr_1_10/145-2600780-6284736?ie=UTF8&qid=1500070339&sr=8-10&keywords=external battery

> MircoSD

Use a low profile flash drive, it's the same thing, it even has multiple ports so it doesn't get in your way

amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-Flash-MUF-128BB-AM/dp/B017DH3O5A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500070449&sr=8-1&keywords=low profile usb

> 4G

Probably the only thing you have, but just buy amazon.com/Verizon-Ellipsis-Jetpack-Mobile-Hotspot/dp/B00R8N1Z56/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500070576&sr=8-2&keywords=mobile hotspot

> Release the specs

Nigger, a literal product is available for you to get in your hands right now, what the fuck do you mean "released all the specs"?

Shill comfirmed, thanks for the fun

This. God this.
/thread

>shoulder as mouse
Just do it on software side
>remove the battery
Well, you just need a screwdriver
>no microSD
Wrong.
>integrated 4G
I'll will give you that one.

muh nigga, stop shilling your autism box

>just needs an external camera to run snapchat
Great argument!

Yes, every device with a removable battery is the exact same. How did I never notice before?

I'd rather have 1% open source than 0%

GPD win has no linux, so gaming controls are pointless if it lacks one of the defining features of the Pyra.

>thinkpad style nub
yeah those are just wooonderful....

Pyra also charges off USB but has 12hour battery life, the point isn't to have multiple batteries charged, it's that when the battery fails or deteriorates too much, you just buy another, not a whole new unit.

I'd rather use a microSD card and two full sized SD card slots with also having USB3 and an OTG slot...yeah

Oh yes so I can carry around another thing to do something that the Pyra has internally, great.

I'm no shill and you're an idiot for thinking their team would pay someone to shill for an obvious niche device, especially when they already have over 1k preorders, it's already gonna be manufactured

The microSD slot is right behind the battery... there are multiple pics of it. And no you don't, you just pop the battery cover off and pull the battery out... no tools needed. Did you even check the device out?

Oh I suppose the GPD Win/Pocket come with built in camera? hm?

>GPS has no Linux, so gaming controls aren't important

>Linux

>Gaming

Boys, this is some mega autism. They're despirate to sell these things.

oh nvm
It's literally autism

is this an actual genuine shill thread?

fuck you man for promoting that bullshit the GPD is the best you should buy it at amazon or else you have autism fuck you

It's a mega shill thread.

> We made these shitty things and we're begging you to buy one.

Sucks to suck

Last I checked emulators for PS1, SNES, GB/C worked perfectly well on linux. Oh you thought I meant your retarded new games like call of duty or battlefield? please.... It has emulators for tons of games. Why would I want your shitty windowws PC games when I could be playing through FF7 or hell, I could even play Diablo II on it. So yes, it does have games, just not the shitty games your used to.

>Well this is the Pyra
>Can we get a discussion on this? Anyone preordering one?
Wow he wasn't even attempting to hide it either now that I actually read the OP

Because anyone who likes a product must be a shill for it, right?
I have nothing to hide I'm not a shill.

They work on Windows too, along with other PC games like Skyrim.

There's literally nothing you're shitbox can run the the Win can't, or even the Pocket which also runs linux.

>Because anyone who likes a product must be a shill for it, right?
Hey not always, it's just you in particular that I don't believe

The pocket has linux yes, but doesn't have dedicated gaming controls.
If you combined the GPD and the GPD pocket it would be better, yes, but by themselves no.

SHILL!

>Run by a new team, so won't semi-fail like the Pandora did.
>people preordered years ago
>still nothing
>hardware is based off on 2010 ARM shit
They already failed.

Why?

R&D takes time, are you gonna donate them a few million gp in order to speed things up? No? Then stfu nobody works on your timetable

What are you talking about?
It has USB-C and full size USB 3.0
It's a x86 PC that runs x86 operating systems, I triple boot Windows, Ubuntu and macOS on mine

OP fucked up by assuming Sup Forums likes neat tech gadgets that aren't chinese phones, thinkpads or otherwise normie consumerist oriented
OP, the Sup Forums you are going for is long since evaporated.

>just buy it even though it sucks!
did you preorder one by chance?

That makes me sad, I assumed it would be much different responses. I thought people actually cared about these sort of things still.

But if I install debian on it, will it support every piece of hardware without fail?

kek

I have not. I don't have the 450$ or so they want for the preorder.

>R&D takes time, are you gonna donate them a few million gp in order to speed things up? No? Then stfu nobody works on your timetable
GPD, a team of 9 chinks, successfully delivered a product from idea to reality in a year and it doesn't cost 700€ while still has a proper IPS screen and a CPU that's not from 2011.

So....

People do care. Sup Forums doesn't. Regardless of what board Sup Forums says you are on right now, you are on a mix of 80% Sup Forums and 20% Sup Forums.

Fuck off Evil Dragon.
Even the GPD Shit is better.

You guys know how he makes money?
He sells overpriced GPD Wins in his online store.

While he HIMSELF bitched and said it's impossible that GPD will deliver on his own forums.

How much money did they have? I doubt they're even trying to make a decent product that can be easily upgraded. No, they want you to buy their GPD v2 next year, no doubt.

>has larger sized keyboard
>runs linux
>has usb ports and type c
who the fuck needs GPS on this type of turd and you can just tether from your phone anyways. You're delusional if you really think people would get a second data plan just for this.

This is a fucking scam. They were supposed to release it a year ago.

>But can you fit it in your pocket?
The better question is: do you need it to?

>This can do anything a phone can do
It can make cellular phone calls?

They've had some issues to work out. They have 7 dev systems they already have made. It'll be manufactured and people will get them, I believe in them.

Question is, do I WANT it to. And the answer to that is: yes, yes I do.

second data plan? I would. You don't have that sort of money? sucks.

Pyra can't be easily upgraded.
It's SoC module can't even be cooled. While they said it could easily support a Intel SoC, obviously not (they lied).
Now they want more money for addons latter like modules and better screens, etc.
Ridiculous.

>No, they want you to buy their GPD v2 next year, no doubt.
Source?
GPD Win came out a year ago, there's not even a prototype of a next version yet.

No, just a 4G modem, no actual GSM baseband.

People do care. Sort of. Problem with OP is people pointed out some flaws in it; thus, a discussion. Rather than taking part of it like a normal person he's aggressively defending it like his job on the line, so alternatives have been posted to show how much of a faggot he's being for putting his toy on a pedestal so much. He's spent the entire thread in denial, refusing to actually discuss anything and instead promote his Shitbox™.

>Click here to pre-order
How long are they taking to make this piece of shit? I remember looking at this ~3 years ago, glad I didn't "pre-order" and still not have it.

>second data plan? I would. You don't have that sort of money? sucks.
That's dumb if you already have 4G on your phone and can tether over WiFi.

You're arguing like a 14 year old.
>ayy you a poorfag XD

It's a shill.
Their job IS to aggressively defend it.
It's fucking pathetic that they can't even do that properly but get all assblasted about it.

yes, with bluetooth headset or built in mic and speakers... if you wanted to do that

it's incredibly easy to upgrade.... have you watched the video where he assembles one?

It IS GSM baseband, once software is written to it it will do calls and SMS.

>Don't have money for second data plan
>Haha poorfag

It's funny that the shill said he's too poor to preorder the pyra
I guess with enough shilling he can afford 1/250th of a pyra order

>It IS GSM baseband, once software is written to it it will do calls and SMS.
forum post from evildragon says otherwise, why are you lying?

I can afford it, I just don't want to buy until I can pay all at once. Also, I'm no shill.

Not a shill. It DOES suck that you don't have 700$ to spend on yourself. That's not even a lot of money.

>it's incredibly easy to upgrade.... have you watched the video where he assembles one?
Yes, I've actually held a prototype in my hands too.
No, it's easy for the end user to upgrade, it's not easy to make upgrades.

They said it will easily support a module with a better Intel SoC than the GPD Win.
Now we know it's impossible, not only that there isn't a SoC better that could be cooled. It actually CAN'T support active cooling for it's SoC module.

Not to mention Intel killed the atom line so there isn't really a better processor unless you go with a house fire amd

Link? Because the posts I read say it will definitely be able to do SMS and calls.

It can support it. With a teeny tiny fan, it's seriously just an eensy weensy itty bitty one. Like 5mm x 5mm x .2mm but it would distribute the heat.