Sup Forums, I need help

Sup Forums, I need help.
I recently signed a contract with the devil. Why? Because they offered 1gbps speeds in my area, so I figured why not switch.

Today the agent came out and set everything up. The first thing I did was run a speed test.

Guess what speeds I'm getting?

24Mbps D
5Mbps U

That's 2.4% of the speed I'm paying for. I called, and the lady said I just need to wait for the 'speed to build up'. What the fuck does that mean? It's been 5 hours now and it's still a consistent 24Mbps, or 2,400kb/s. It's like I'm just stuck in the lowest tier internet speed despite it saying Gigabit on my account.

I already know I wasn't going to get anywhere near 1gps, but I was atleast expecting 70 or even 80Mbps. But 24?

What the hell can I do?I already called and they offered no help. It can't be the modem locking me in at 24. I'm using ethernet, so it's not some weird wifi issue. Should I wait a few more days or just cancel this shit? I knew Comcast was terrible and such, but holy fuck this is insane. That shit should be fucking illegal. I have never made such a huge mistake in my life.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0723599RQ/ref=psdc_284715_t5_B01DACQM9M
amazon.com/NETGEAR-download-1-4Gbps-Certified-XFINITY/dp/B01M981YYL/
amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ultra-High-certified-XFINITY-download/dp/B01I5TJGSE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500074969&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear cm100
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/why-comcast-and-other-cable-isps-arent-selling-you-gigabit-internet/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what modem do you have? What router? Have you tried connecting your pc directly to the modem via Ethernet and doing a speed test?

I hope you got a good deal, I got gig service for $70/mo with 3 year contract and no data cap.

20Mbit is probably not lowest tier.
Give it a day and then call back.

The asymmetrical speed points to it being Comcast.

It's provisioned asymmetrical as fuck. The gig service is 1.2gb/s down and 45mb/s up. You have to get the 2gb/s fiber service for a symmetrical connection.

They have the 2gbps service available here, I dont see the point though since I can get 1gbps fiber for $70 from verizon.

DPC3941T-XB3

>Have you tried connecting your pc directly to the modem via Ethernet
Yep

>I hope you got a good deal, I got gig service for $70/mo with 3 year contract and no data cap.
That's exactly what I have.

Damn that's $300/mo where I live and a $1000 install fee

I don't even think the xb3 does gigabit, they told me I had to use the xb6 and nothing else but the retail docsis 3.1 modems do work. I have an sb8200 on the way.

It's $1000 install fee here too, but they pay up to $15,000 of the install cost if you're within 1/4 or 1/3rd of a mile from their closest fiber box.

But again, with 1gbps fiber for half that price already, no real point going for 2gbps. I don't have the network equipment to take advantage of it on a single client, and I wouldn't see any real advantage to concurrent users since I already don't have an issue with 1gbps.

so why the hell would they rent old equipment out to me?

Now I have spend $200+ on buying my own modem? fuck

also, even if it doesnt do gigabit, it should atleast support a max speed of 500mbps.

I'm only getting..24mbps!

not 50
not 75

fucking 24. I may as well just downgrade to the slowest internet if its apparently impossible to get good speeds here

Nigger do you have an actual fiber cable going into your modem? I bet it's a copper line and you didn't check before signing your contract.
24/5 is basically ADSL speed so you didn't get memed you're just fucking stupid

Give it a couple days and if it still isn't a gigabit then sue. If you can afford gigabit you can afford a lawyer.

You'd need to act in good faith and allow comcast a reasonable amount of time to diagnose and rectify the issue from their end before you could bring a lawyer into things.

Doesn't comcast give you a month to cancel service?

Gigabite for Xfinity isn't fiber. I said nothing about fiber speeds you fucking idiot.

It's DOCSIS 3.1.
Even so, I still shouldn't be getting those speeds with this modem.

Honestly just sounds like there is damage to some equipment somewhere along the chain, or you're simply not provisioned correctly and you should call their tech support. Worst case they can have an engineer look into it.

If you can't get the right people on the phone try the xfiniti subreddit, it's manned by upper tier techs and they're pretty responsive during business hours.

yup, but comcast is still a shit company, so don't hold your breath.

24 MB or Mb?

24 MB = ~192 Mbps

24 Mbps looks like typical wireless b/g limitation.

If you're using wireless and using old wireless adapter, you're retarded.

The best thing to do is wait a day or so and keep using it. If you can't get that, call up again and ask for retention(they will re-reimburse you and probably offer better/cheaper deal for the SAME, READ SAME, service).

Also, why the fuck are you renting modem from comcast? Just buy a fucking DOCSIS3 modem for ~$20-$40. Jesus Christ.

>24 Mbps looks like typical wireless b/g limitation.
How do you explain the 5Mbps down then?

Fucking jelly. At that speed I'd boot from cloud with local bcache

amazon.com/dp/B0723599RQ/ref=psdc_284715_t5_B01DACQM9M

That's the cheapest 3.1 modem you can get.

You can also try your luck at higher end DOCSIS 3.0 modems like this
amazon.com/NETGEAR-download-1-4Gbps-Certified-XFINITY/dp/B01M981YYL/

I ordered this
amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ultra-High-certified-XFINITY-download/dp/B01I5TJGSE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500074969&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear cm100

Reddit already answered the issue anyway.
Apparently since my rented modem didn't support my speeds, instead of logically capping itself at whatever speed the modem can support, it stays locked at 25mbps.

So now I've spent nearly $600 just for this fucking upgrade.($200 for grounding rod since apparently the one I had was fucked, $170 for modem, $200 for router)

god damn

Show up at their office in person. Explain that their failure to deliver the advertised speed is a breach of contract. Give them the cabe box back. Refuse to pay any bills. Ring up your credit card company and tell them you lost your card, thus changing your credit card number. Get another isp or hork wifi.

The gig service requires docsis 3.1 for which the modems are $180.

This site is 18+

ur mom is 13+ lul feg

>I just need to wait for the 'speed to build up'.
This is a real thing. First they connect you then they run tests on your line to get you the best speeds. Reset your modem tomorrow morning.

Since these dumbfucks have no idea what's going on I'll impart some knowledge. Comcast advertises speeds as 'up to #mbps'. They dynamically allocate your bandwidth based on how heavily it's being used and overall network utilization at any given moment. Try downloading something huge from some good servers (like a loonix distro) and see what you peak at. Try several downloads at once. Try at 2 AM. The problem is that Comcast's network is old shit and won't provision the exact bandwidth. This does save infrastructure, but sucks for those of us who benefit from large bandwidth. My advice would be to get out of your contract before they lock you in (30 days I believe) and find a different, preferably fiber-based provider. Even if you're provisioned for less bandwidth, you'll probably have it all available on-demand.

t. Family member worked for Comcast for 10 years, watched them turn to absolute shit from the inside.

- Depending on the coaxial outlet you are using it might just be using old crappy thin gauge wire
- Could be noise, or you can't get a good signal upstream
- Could be your modem is garbage and doesn't support it
- Could be your router is some consumer garbage that is terrible
- Could be some intermediate equipment that's garbage
- Could be your machine itself that is garbage

Cancel in 30 days if it's not resolved and won't have to stay in contract.

I pay $60/mo for 300Mb/s. $70 1Gb was available, but they had a fucking data cap on it for 1TB. Fucking retarded. $60 plan had no cap for 3 years.

>Today the agent came out and set everything up.

Stopped reading there. You obviously have no idea what the fuck you're doing if you needed a tech to come by and install your modem.

>paying through the nose for Comcast and not making their tech install for you

>DPC3941T-XB3
doesn't even say how many fucking channels it has for cable
docsis 3 bands together 6mhz channels, it needs like 20 of them to be 1gbps
that shit probably has like 2 cuz cisco is fucking jewish

they're notorious for that shit

yep
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/why-comcast-and-other-cable-isps-arent-selling-you-gigabit-internet/