Passthrough, is it a meme?

Requires 2 GPUs and 2 monitors or hooking up two GPUs to one monitor and switching between inputs.

Any use in gaming over RDP or equivalent to Windows VM?

Anyone here using passthrough for gayming?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/1-Pack-Ver006C-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B0739KF3RZ/
amazon.com/Express-Adapter-Extender-Flexible-Extension/dp/B008BZBGPO/
youtube.com/watch?v=9pUWnVA5_CY
youtube.com/watch?v=y6v_6Xz57PQ
invisiblerobot.com/pcie_x1/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's only for the most extreme autists who value never running a native Windows OS above all else, but still need the software. If you're sane, just boot into Windows.

FWIW, you can use streaming software like Moonlight or OBS to send the picture back to the original display, avoiding the need for the second one, but the latency means it's only acceptable for slower things.

Can't you use just one monitor and cable, switching the cable manually to the graphics card?

Sure, or KVM, am looking for a way that's not a pain.

>Requires 2 GPUs and 2 monitors or hooking up two GPUs to one monitor and switching between inputs.
???
Just look at the VM through the regular VM viewer...?

I got 99% of the way there on Ubuntu with relatively little pain. The only issue was my version of libvirt/qemu wasn't new enough to hide the CPU vendor. And Nvidia drivers detect that virtual CPU vendor and refuse to work (Shekels, etc). So when I upgrade to 17.04 imma try it again.

The Arch wiki page is excellent, even for non-Arch distros.

The normal VM viewer doesn't have full GPU acceleration, making it useless for games

Yes, in fact you don't even need two GPUs, you can even have a headless linux system and ssh in

>Any use in gaming over RDP or equivalent
i've only tried it windows to windows, but steam's remote play feature has seemed rather efficient over wireless, so i'd imagine on same host it would be quite good

A switch seems painless enough. Freedom-wise its better to run Linux and then windows VMs than the other way around. I wish I could GPU passthrough. :(

So what I boot Linux without access to the GPU, ssh in, start the VM, and then use it normally?

You don't really need two monitors since you can always switch modes. I think it's too much work and just dual boot. I rarely ever go into the Windows drive anyways since emulators work fine on Linux and my recent games run natively. Too bad Vega doesn't have mxGPU on the consumer, that would solve so many problems like leaving the Linux host with shit graphics all the time or buying two similar performancewise videocards.

Yeah, it can be difficult to setup though. And you have to shutdown your graphical session and unload your kernel module before booting the vm, so why not just dual boot?

>have monitor with two inputs
>plug graphics card into one
>plug integrated graphics into the other
>switch between inputs to switch machines

This.

For any normie or even casual linux enthusiast, there's absolutely no reason not to just keep a small windows partition for gaming on the side if you plan to do any.

iGPU + discrete GPU: Linux host is left with shitty graphics, but it's cost effective
2 discrete GPUs: Linux host isn't so weak anymore, not cost effective at all
1 discrete GPU with SR-IOV: Host is able to make as many VMs as there are resources.
Anything I'm missing? The last one sounds incredible, but there's no way we're getting that anytime soon. Is there a way to use one GPU on the host and later for the guest? Not at the same time, more like unplugging the card from the host and plugging it to the guest kind of thing.

I am currently dual booting, just hate the shit Microsoft is pulling with Windows 10, what is the recommended appstore/telemetry cleanup tool of Sup Forums?
In before install Gentoo.

Dual booting is still a better option.

But I tell you what, if nerds made this more accessible and less of a chore, a lot of people would be switching. Many people are annoyed at dual booting.

Is there any recommended GPU for linux as host?

I have this one gigabyte board with a PCI-e x16 slot and a PCI-e x4 one. I'm wondering if ther's any PCI-e x4 GPU for cheap.

No, it's meant for performance-oriented server administration on a single host computer.

Those of use in the IT field sometimes have to administrate server machines, say on a server, and use what is known as a 'KVM switch'. No, it's not a network switch. GPU pass-through allows you to set up instances, managable by your KVM switch, without needing an additional host.

Your window-based VMWare solution wouldn't work well with a KVM switch since I'd need to work it from within a host and the performance would be bad.

There's probably x1 cards that are ancient shit but aside from that no. You either need a PCIe riser or a new mobo.

Something like:
amazon.com/1-Pack-Ver006C-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B0739KF3RZ/

maybe not necessarily that one though.

Wasn't there going to be GPU virtualization on Linux for VMs with only 5% cost over native performance?

i dont want windows to have system privileges, it could alter my boot partition or overwrite my encrypted linux partition.
it's cleaner to have windows in a fucking VM where it belongs to be.

>Anyone here using passthrough for gayming?
Yes

>Requires 2 GPUs and 2 monitors or hooking up two GPUs to one monitor and switching between inputs.
Only on shitty linux type 2 hypervisors. Use a type 1 hypervisor like ESXi or HyperV and this wouldnt be a problem.

Sorry this is more what I was intending to post but I couldn't find these at first

amazon.com/Express-Adapter-Extender-Flexible-Extension/dp/B008BZBGPO/

I don't use it because i usually only buy games that support linux, there's a lot (good ones) despite what Sup Forums tries to make people think. It sounds like a pain but i think is a valid approach for someone who genuinely likes linux and don't want to boot windows just for some games that doesn't run correctly on wine, this way windows is only used as if it were a "runtime" only for that moments when you don't have another option.

On the bright side wine is improving a lot on the d3d10-11 (most d3d9 games i've tried works almost exactly as on windows already so i guess that's mostly finished) side. For example games like GTA V and the Witcher or overwatch seems to be start to be playable and despite what some people says there's tools like lutris that practically does everything for you painlessly.
youtube.com/watch?v=9pUWnVA5_CY
youtube.com/watch?v=y6v_6Xz57PQ
At this rate i'm pretty sure that at some point wine will run older windows programs better than recent versions of windows itself and will help to preserve older software as fine as emulators does (wine is not an emulator btw).

Oh no, I mean it's a x16 slot but only operates at x4.

Just use any old PCIe x16 card, nothing else needs to be done. PCIe doesn't give a fuck it runs at any speed. You can run a x16 card in an x1 if you can find a way to make it fit.

However downgrading from x16 to x4 will affect the graphical performance of the card somewhat. It will still be very fast compared to shitty integrated graphics though.

>GPU virtualization
???

It's super easy and you only need one display. Set up a GNU/Linux distro as your host OS (I recommend Fedora for this). Then run the host OS on the iGPU or a weaker dGPU. Then use the dGPU that you want to use for gaming and give it to the Windows VM that you set up in QEMU/KVM. You can use AQEMU as an easy GUI for it.

just alter your 4x slot (or your graphic card)to make it compatible with 16x cards
invisiblerobot.com/pcie_x1/
this is no joke btw

I don't get it... why not just reboot?

>It's only for the most extreme autists who value never running a native Windows OS above all else
Or, you know, for people who just want to run a Unix-like OS most of the time, e.g., to program.

Just spend 15 seconds rebooting the computer.

This.

That's clearly not what the OP was asking about, autismo.

I did this but with 3 monitors, each has 2 inputs. 3 on mobo (dvi,hdmi,svga) with i7 4790k and 3 on GTX 1080 for muh games. I can nvidia surround on 3x 1080p in a VM.

I can move my windows .img file to any HDD on any machine easy. I can segregate my banking/work etc from my games and spyware.

What the fuck is this 2nd monitor autism? Fix that shit so that it's not just some disabled GPU that gets turned on and used by the VM but actual virtualized hardware that can be used by both host and guest at the same time.