/wt/ - watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EvDGCbVBr3c
chrono24.com/omega/automatic-seamaster-wristwatch-17jewels--id6598483.htm
chrono24.com/omega/constellation-168017-merit-en-bloc-vintage-watch-ca-1966--id6364063.htm
amazon.com/dp/B00QYKU69K/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3EL5UVOUVLLW8&colid=3UY1BNHCYGLB4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You son of a bitch

First for 56x

Second for wrist photo database

I don't care what anyone says I believe this to be a beautiful and technically interesting movement.

That bracelet doesn't fit that case at all.

It is certainly both of those two things you said

Story share: David Scott, the American astronaut of Apollo 15 who conducted the famous Galileo drop test on the moon, testing the speed in which a hammer and feather fall relative to eachother in the absence of air resistance, wore a Bulova Precisionist Chronograph. It was the first privately owned watch to make it on the moon.

Fuck off ninefag

its be cool if it was mechanical like the one he actually wore on the moon.

I don't think I've ever argued otherwise, and I'm literally the biggest anti-coaxial shitposter on /wt/.

The problem is that Omega's implementation of the co-axial escapement is totally fucked. It just doesn't work in production movements and ended up making the reliability and serviceability demonstrably worse than an ETA 2892-A2. ALL of the benefits in the movement vs that ETA 2892-A2 come from better finishing and the switch to a free-sprung balance and balance bridge design. The movement would be strictly improved by ditching the co-axial meme and going back to a traditional escapement.

The crux of the argument, though, is that The Swatch Group will literally never admit that the co-axial experiment was a failure nor will they ever abandon it for marketing reasons no matter the negative impact on their customers. Such a stance is so profoundly contemptuous of their own customers that it's truly astonishing.

I totally get this but is this still the case with the new generation of cuck axials?

>micro-engineering

Yes. Even if they have ironed out most of the bugs, Omega's version of the co-axial escapement does absolutely nothing to enhance service intervals on their watches while actually making them much more sensitive to prompt regular servicing and much more difficult to service correctly.

The 8500 with a Swiss lever escapement would actually be pretty damn good, but Swatch will never admit they fucked up royally.

What i mean is did they solve their oiling problem yet?

How much does a Superior Quartz with mirrion rittre metar rinks usually go for? Is my only hope of finding one on a Japanese auction site or prying it from the cold dead hands of some mummified soul?

As far as I know they have not solved the need for microscopically precise amounts of oil to be applied to the escapement to act as cushioning, with incorrect oiling leading to severe premature wear, no.

That is the kind of thing I would look for on Yahoo! Japan Auctions using a proxy bidding service. You'll probably find a way better deal.

It's a real shame Omega was such a great firm. Thanks for all the info m8; cheers!

Or failing that, I think this Grand Quartz looks nice.

youtu.be/EvDGCbVBr3c

what watch

gp triaxial tourbillon

>gp triaxial tourbillon
Not a bad price.

>tourbillon

The only purpose of a tourbillon is to add at least 1 zero to the watch price.

I guess. I prefer the JLC.

I wonder what the power reserve is like on a watch like that, and adding in some other complications too.

My nigga

Are these the new meme watches to own on /wt/ because this is a meme I can agree with.

Vintage omegas have always been recommended.

Well yeah but it seems now there's a bunch of them floating around here.

Really? i think there're only 3 vintage omega owner on/wt/ including me

pretty sure there's more than that, there's my cosmic and megasonic, there's , , seikoanon's lemania, the user with the geneve megasonic, the user with the chronostop

There's like 3 or 4 just in this thread including me, the fat Canadian is always posting his speedy too. I'm sure there's more, but I stopped coming to these threads when I started recognizing anons just by their wrists.

This vintage Omegas got me thinking about something. What are nice old Omegas with cushion cases?

whats so good about them where I wouldn't get a tudor

You can discuss jewelery on /fa/

I don't know man Tudor is pretty neat too in my opinion, I'd love to have a nice Tudor Sub or Oysterdate or Ranger. I didn't get to pick out my vintage Omegas, I got them from my dad.

But I guess vintage Tudor is just cheaper Rolexes with ETAs just like the ETAs of today while vintage Omega has beautiful copper-plated high quality movements that died out and have no real modern descendents. Also Tudor died and came back as a hot new cutting edge brand making great stuff while Omega died and came back as Swatch. So buying an old Omega lets you have the peak of the brand which will never be matched again, while Tudor still makes new stuff worth buying.

Who needs cushions when you have ovals with no lugs?

I'll look at vintage prices, thanks bruv

Whats the best vintage dates to look out for?

'60s omega seamasters or constellations are generally good choices.

>So buying an old Omega lets you have the peak of the brand which will never be matched again, while Tudor still makes new stuff worth buying.
Pretty much this, pre cuck-axial omega is pretty awesome

Depends what kind of watch you want, I guess. I think Omega peaked in the 60s when they were on top of the watchmaking world and making the Constellation with the observatory on the back to rub in everyone's face that they made the most accurate watches in the world.

By the 70s quartz was beating down all the Swiss brands and Omega was circling the drain and putting out some real bullshit to try to stay afloat. My Geneve Dynamic is a cool watch in my opinion but it's also clearly gimmicky and it's far from the worst gimmicky shit Omega came out with in that time period.

50s and earlier is prehistoric shit. Stuff like the bumper movements are neat as historical curiosities I guess but good luck finding anything that isn't water damaged and beaten to shit and I hope you have a spare kidney to sell off to pay for servicing those museum pieces.

So about to pull the plug on this then. Any red flags? chrono24.com/omega/automatic-seamaster-wristwatch-17jewels--id6598483.htm

Not to mention that vintage watches in general have a unique aesthetic that a lot of modern watches don't have.

I'm not sure about this one. The price is okay; quite a bit high but not outrageous. The case looks like it may have been aggressively polished, which is a negative. The 562 is an excellent movement - definitely stick to the 56x/601/613/etc family. The crown looks a little weird to me. The caseback has a a lot of grunginess to it. I'd pass and look for something else, but if you like it you'll probably be fine.

chrono24.com/omega/constellation-168017-merit-en-bloc-vintage-watch-ca-1966--id6364063.htm

was also looking at this one

Well at first glance the dial has been refinished and the case has been polished so it's definitely not a collector piece but it's not egregiously bad I guess. I'm suspicious of how corroded that caseback looks, the movement has obviously been cleaned up but did they really fix all the water damage?

You need to do lots of research yourself too. Nobody here is going to know exactly what every single reference is supposed to look like. You need to find photos of original watches to compare it to if you want to make sure the watch hasn't been cobbled together out of spare parts.

Buying vintage stuff without getting burned is a rabbit hole that goes pretty deep. I know neither of my Omegas is 100% collector quality original, and those are watches that have been in my family. It's even less likely on watches that have passed through any sketchy online retailers who try to put lipstick on pigs.

Something look off about the dial, maybe it's just me

thanks

What said, and $800+ for that is way overprice. I bought mine seamaster for only $370+ including services fee

This one look nice though

Hope you're serious, I thought so. Only thing that worries me is they say to not treat it as WR at all. I'm around tons of water.

>Orange lume

Tfw I won't be able to buy the only good looking Omega for at least ten years.

Why live?

hell yes. 561 movement, excellent case design. Constellation was top-tier stuff and the 561 movement is in line with that. The listing says original dial; I would have guessed refinished but I am not really an expert. Case looks in decent shape to me; if it's polished, it's at least not horrific. $995 is kind of a lot - I would expect to be able to land a watch like this for less than 700, if you're willing to put in the work - but if you're okay with the price, I think it looks like a solid choice. Crown looks okay to me.

Get the watch pressure tested and timed (in all positions) by your friendly local jeweler. But in general vintage watches (especially vintage dress watches) are not something you swim with.

It looks pretty minty, but $1k is a bit steep. Ask the seller when its last service was.

I'm serious, if you afraid about the WR then just treat it like a dress watch and only wear it to event and stuff, don't go daily wear with it and you will be fine.

I mean, you could always buy a rep.

Just sell yourself to fat chicks user, I'm sure they'll pay up :^)

The dial look pretty okay, though the letter look a bit weird, need a expert user on this

Maybe look into a diver then.

Or this Some pre-cuck axial seamaster divers are good too.

The images just look way oversharpened, so the edges of text suffers.

Eh, I'd rather not have it than have a fake. I'll just poorfag with my alpinist.

A reference for comparison.

You could always post on the vintage forum on watchuseek if you really wanted to, but I agree with

>Reverse_Panda
???

panda is black/dark dial with white/light subdials. Reverse panda is the reverse.

except when panda's white/light dial with black/dark subdials - people define it both ways unfortunately

Go away Nineball

Nice bagelmeme!

Can someone recommend a watch for less than $70 on Amazon that's reliable and fairly traditional in appearance?

Like leather strap and not too much digital stuff.

Timex weekender

timex ironman

Timex easy reader

SNK 809 and a cheap ass leather strap.

>buy bagelnaut cause $53 flash deal
>wait a month
>tracking says it's at shipping facility in my home town
>stays there for 3 days
>go there to see what's going on
>"oh there was an improper address on it so we sent it back this morning"
>can't do package intercept cause international
why is ordering from china so painful

I was thinking about getting a russian shitter.
Aside from the memes, are there any quality russian watches(can be contemporary or original) that are worth buying?

Late 1960s Omega owner checking in.

snkl23
but wait till amazon puts them a little cheaper cause the price fluctuates for literally no reason
my work beater has been one of these with a hadley roma leather strap for the past 2 years, not a single issue even though i've bumped and dropped it a few times

A nice, cheap suit watch, go! I don't wear suits often and not a fan of metal bracelet but I just need to do it at times.

Give a budget or we will recommend a Lange.

>go!
This posting format annoys me. Ask for help, don't demand it.

Didn't think Lange is cheap by standards of anyone on Sup Forums but whatever. I thinking a 100 but cheaper stuff is very welcome.

see

A thirty dollar steel cased Timex or Casio analog quartz watch will probably work for what you want. I know some people that routinely get compliments from normies on such watches, the majority of the population isn't autistic about watches.

That sounds like it works for what I need. Not gonna wear it often anyway.

Alternatively, you could spend $6 on a Casio F-91W.

How do I find out what strap to use with the SNK 809?

You do a web search for the SNK 809 and find out the strap width or lug width, and this will tell you how wide of a strap you can use. You then search for straps of this width in a style that you like.

Define cheap, because this is probably the cheapest poorfag watch you can find that looks decent with a suit.
amazon.com/dp/B00QYKU69K/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3EL5UVOUVLLW8&colid=3UY1BNHCYGLB4

I was thinking about getting a russian shitter.
Aside from the memes, are there any quality russian watches(can be contemporary or original) that are worth buying?

>are there any quality russian watches
no