Is this the new 2500k?

Could this be the last CPU you will ever need?(For the next 10 years anyway)

Hear me out - AMD has just started a core war with their new CPU's, which means Intel is going to be forced to start moving to 6-8 core mainstream to stay competitive, I don't think that's too far fetched.

As soon as the mainstream has 2-4 more cores, developers *may* start focusing more on multithreading their software to take advantage of these new mainstream CPU's, right? None of this "We only optimise for 4c because that's where 60% of the userbase is"

So with decent single core perf it could carry aymd into the era where software is pretty heavily threaded(With the exepction of certain single thread workload - just give them their own core) thus further extending the platform length.

I can't see Ryzen's single thread struggling for the next 3-5 years(no 200hz+ 1080p gaymin memes please)

The only downside I can see from this is the new technologies that you won't have support for, think about Sandy bridge now with no nvme support, usb 3.1, ddr4 QC, etc.

Here's my question to you user, why aren't you upgrading to kikeripper? the GOAT CPU.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YySDlC7NZg4
youtube.com/watch?v=PTGTviYwolE
gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-2
gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Zen right now is like Nehalem. Zen 2 will be the Sandy Bridge that will last for-fucking-ever.

This. Nehamels were also bad at OCing.

Not everything can be solved with more cores.
But a combination of 7nm, high as fuck clocks and just letting that weird neural network learn more about the programs might increase the single core performance of this slab of power quite a lot.
Getting the branch prediction performance higher is key for compression and emulators.

>Zen's branch prediction is so good it literally raped CPU-Z benchmark
Healthy kek.

There's is no branch real prediction when using cpu-z, they just load everything into the l2 and hammer the core, much like cinebench

I'm still using my 2500k, no fucking reason to upgrade as I don't really do much with my pc but shitpost online and play minecraft sometimes.

You're starting to miss out on bretty gd tech user.

You should consider a asrock deskmini 110 with a 7xxx cpu if that's all you do

Eh, if there's no reason to upgrade, I won't. At some point down the road, I'll probably build a hackintosh and turn this pc into a beefier server.

MOBO got struck by lightning and blew out the ethernet port 4 years ago and it's still somehow running just fine.

Developers focusing on multithreading requires developers to understand multithreading.
Multithreading opens up a can of worms involving synchronicity, shared memory spaces, and algorithm design.
Some problems are simply sequential. No amount of multithreading will save you from being bottlenecked by problems like that. Even if you find a problem that is parallelizable, Amdahl's Law will see to it that you find hardly any benefit towards doing so--for a fixed workload (video games, which I assume is the subject matter here), you will not see significant performance gains until the sequential portion of the algorithm is reduced to 10%.

Furthermore, you have to understand that developers just aren't that smart. The kind of developers who do shit like this
youtube.com/watch?v=YySDlC7NZg4
youtube.com/watch?v=PTGTviYwolE
are in the extreme minority--they tend to have PhDs and such.

I remember old 950 nehalem pal. It was awesome but i got angry didnt get sandy. Anyway lasted a aeon, just didnt get sandy because i was nt going to pay for more mobos.

user says true, when AMD fix frequencies these will be the best.

I agree that some tasks will always be better on a single thread, for those tasks you can just designate a core for(You've got enough of them with threadripper)

>you have to understand that developers just aren't that smart.

Indeed, maybe this will take a few more generations for progress in this area.

I keep thinking on emulators not being able to take advantage of multicore etc.. but probably the can, specially with that new "enemy", the shader recompilation being a thing now due gamecube etc using pixel shaders.
I bet you can get a threadripper, give each core a shader to recompile and eliminate the hiccups.

Threadraper is shitting all over incuck. Good riddence to them rehashing P3 for the past 20 years.

>cawwadooty
>well optimated

didnt this piece of shit need like 16GB of ram

It didn;t need, just made use of.

Unused ram is wasted ram

That's a big CPU

Zen 2 when?

Q4 2018 probably.

Lisa Su is my mom, Threadripper 3 will be the size of Nantucket.

No.

Maybe Zen2 will be though. Right now I'm pretty sure a 2500K at 5GHz (max realistic OC of 2500K) still beats a Ryzen chip at 4GHz (max realistic OC of Ryzen) in single thread performance.

Gameshitters such as myself still rely on single-thread performance.

>'B-BUT MODERN GAMES USE MORE COARS'

Fuck you retard, I don't want to replace a 2011 CPU and get worse FPS in older titles, and no, a Ryzen chip wouldn't be 'good enough', some games are piss-poorly optimised.

It's already obsolete. Even when OCed to 5 GHz (which is really rare) you aren't going to see any single threaded advantage. And you can see it suffers greatly in games due to lack of HT.

gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-2

gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-3

Go play a game with an older engine like Source and see what happens. It's obsolete now for 2017 games, and will be really really really obsolete in a year or two, but not everyone plays 2017 games all of the time.

All I'm saying is, I don't think most people who are holding onto Sandy/Ivy platforms are willing to throw $400-500+ at a new CPU, motherboard and RAM for what is going to be in most cases zero performance improvement.

The GTA5 benchmark in your link proves my point. GTA5 is a fairly recent and pretty well optimised title, yet a 1700 OC and a 2500K at 4.5 (pretty standard) are near enough identical.

For people who care only about games there's still little reason to buy a Ryzen chip.

Only when they can reach at least 4.6 and when they iron out RAM compatibility. I hope zen2 delivers on that.

I'm still using Ivy Bridge with a 1080Ti.

You're retarded if you think it makes any sense to buy ANYTHING from AMD or Intel right now with what is coming out in the next year or so. You're also retarded if you think it's only a few games, literally every single game made before 2014 gives zero shits about RAM speeds, hyperthreading or more than 4 cores.

The simple fact of the matter is a CPU from 2011 is still perfectly serviceable, where-as a GPU from back then is not.

>For people who care only about games there's still little reason to buy a Ryzen chip.

You mean for people who only care about CS:GO, Arma 3, Dorf Fort, and shitty old plane sims there's still little reason to buy a Ryzen chip.

Nice extreme niche case. At this point Ryzen 7 is pulling close to even with a 7700k OC'd to 5ghz in modern games, and Ryzen is crushingly better at virtually all other computationally intensive workloads.

>Using your computer exclusively to play games made before 2014 and literally nothing else computationally intensive isn't a niche case.

What could this creature have intended to convey with such signals?

You're talking about an extreme niche use case where only a few "Pro" CS:GO players are going to need 480 FPS as opposed to 300 FPS. Like maybe 0.0001% of people who play the game.

That he also thinks EPYC is 4 desktop dies glued together.

>TOPKEK RYZEN ONLY GETS 8000 FPS WHEN JEWTEL GETS 10000 FPS
>NO GOY DO NOT LOOK AT PRODUCTIVITY, ONLY VIDEO GAMES MATTER
>NOW EJACULATE ON THIS DIE SO I CAN APPLY THIS CHIP'S HEATSPREADER

platform.
i'll settle for am4.

>JustWait™

>low shadows
why?

Hello Pajeet!
Is EPYC 4 desktop dies glued together?

>Hear me out - AMD
Stopped reading there

>Triggered AMDrone resorts to autistic meme screeching

Makes Intel's FPS go lower.

4 glued together desktop dies lead to inconsistent performance and deployment complexities, right, Pajeet?

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>entire library of millions of PC games
>build a system with a Ryzen chip
>sneer and be like 'pfft I'm not playing old shit on my new CPU, I only play Rise of the Tomb Raider and Battlefield 1 now'

Literally kill yourself. I think the most recent game I've even played is Rising Storm 2 and pro-tip my 4.7ghz 3570K still isn't getting 100% CPU usage in that garbage.

Notice it's an AVERAGE in a binned benchmark, retard. CSGO runs like roasted shit, if you're playing the game seriously you need 200FPS minimum at all times.

What am I meant to be seeing here, that Ryzen still isn't as good as Intel?

So many mindless AMD shills on here, I want nu-Sup Forums to leave. I'm not spending $500 on new parts to get no noticeable improvement in my games you fucking shills, go fuck yourselves.

EPYC has no ecosystem?

>playing the game seriously
>he takes video games seriously

lol oh wow.

i5 750 here I see no reason to upgrade yet but zen 2 looks promising

Where the hell did you get these results and why are they so shit?

Xeons are proven and battle-tested?

They might have benched a different part of the game, retard

It's really weird how people are now defending the fact that Intel CPU's are now only useful for one niche use case, games made before 2015. This isn't like Bulldozer where the single core performance was SO BAD that it was useless for gaming and about even in productivity to a quad core i7. The IPC is so close that the only limiting factor is clockspeed.

I think this bench is mainly always posted to just show relative performance, it's not about 480 vs 300 fps per se.

brand loyalty makes people do stupid shit.

>games made before 2015
>prey
>battlefield 1
>GTA V
>Doom

Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

>playing competitive shooter on brand new ryzen chip
>get fps drop in smoke
>die
>get mad and punch a hole in a wall

>playing competitive shooter on 6 year old intel chip
>enter smoke
>no fps drop
>don't get mad
>take a look at your wallet and notice 500 extra dollars

lol oh wow

SEETHING :^)

So many asshurt AMD babies in here today that are butthurt people aren't willing to throw money away on shit that isn't beneficial to them :^)

Great counter-arguments guys.

How much longer are you going to shit up the board with this? The i7-7700K is the one with the FPS advantage, if you're still on Sandy Vag you'd want to upgrade to that, but you'd still be out $500 (probably more).

>playing a competitive video game and giving two shits about the results

Yes I really care about the opinion of Sup Forums toddlers that treat their PCs like glorified game consoles.

>RYZEN IS BEST
>But it sucks at gaming!
>I-I don't c-care about gaming a-anyway!

There's literally no reason to upgrade from Sandy Bridge if childish gaming is the only thing you use your computer for.

Notice that unless you're playing recent titles, 7700K and 2600K are practically the same fucking thing.

Perfect example even here, Niggerfield 1 came out in 2016 and yet a 2600K at 4.6 is within 10% of a 7700K at 5.1
I hope I don't need to explain that Source engine doesn't utilise the CPU as well as Frostbite.

>'DUDE BUY THIS FUCKING CPU RIGHT NOW EVEN THOUGH IT'S OBJECTIVELY WORSE THAN THE ONE YOU HAVE NOW FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO USE IT FOR'

The stupidity of Ryzen shills is really quite impressive.

Except there is, I upgraded from my 2600k to a 6700k and the lag in many cpu intensive games was all but gone

Try playing planet coaster with 5000 guests in your park with a sandy bridge cpu

That said, it still outperforms many ryzen cpus

>shit overclocking
>lower single-thread than an OC'd 2500k
>$1000
>"the next 2500k"

>muh if it doesn't run on Linux it's childish meme

Kill yourself freetard

>OBJECTIVELY WORSE
That's a funny way of saying "It beats Sandy Bridge even at stock"

>'look at these 30% improvements over a 8 year old platform in a game you don't play!'
Ok you convinced me, going to buy a Ryzen CPU right now.

>lower single-thread than an OC'd 2500k
Objectively false.

What, in old games the 2500k is about even to Ryzen. If you're getting frame drops on Ryzen you'll get frame drops on Sandy Bridge. Even if you have a 7700K, the difference between the CS:GO benchmarks is a frametime difference of 1.17ms. That's equivalent to a drop from 60fps to 56fps, you would have to be extremely sensitive to notice such a small change.

made me reply
>buying 32 thread processors for muh single thread gaymen
not even true btw 2500k has garbage ipc

c

>"Sandy Bridge is better at gaming than Ryzen"
>get proven wrong
>"Ryzen is only slightly better at gaming than Sandy Bridge!"
Keep moving those goalposts.

>For the next 10 years anyway
Given that you'll need to purchase another one after just a year, I don't think so

>'i-it's better in this one game so that must be an entirely representitive example of all games ever!'

I bet you're the kind of shitter to believe the 'Runs great on Intel i7 :^)' brandings on games like CoD WAW and RE5.

I'm honestly worried for my simple two core Pentium. At $50 & overclocked it can handle most anything pretty reliably, but nobody optimizes for dual core anymore.

Did you even read my post? the guy stated that Ryzen would get framedrops when the 2500K doesn't, that's false. And the 2nd part of my post is a direct response to . WHen framerates are so high, huge FPS drops aren't as noticeable because the frametime difference is so low. The difference between 30fps and 60fps is 16.67ms, while the difference between 383.87 and 308.85fps is only 1.17ms.

>Did you even read my post?
No.

There's even been some vidya that can't run at all without changing some threads around manually because devs don't support it

Consoles use "8 cores," although it's Jaguar so you can call it 4 cores or 4 cores with 8 threads if you want. Why would devs optimize for dual cores anymore when i3's have been around since 2010 and KL Pentiums support hyperthreading? This is like the people on Sup Forums that whine about Overwatch being 64 bit only, like what kind of 3rd world country do you live in where you still have a Pentium 4?

G3258

Pentium Anniversary was pretty pointless even in 2014 and it's aged badly as games were already moving to 4 threads in 2013. People got excited for Skylake Pentium BIOS overclocking too, which was also stupid since you needed a more expensive Z170 mobo. You should just upgrade to Devil's Canyon.

FYI, in more recent benchmarks with fast ram a 1700X at 4ghz is mostly in a dead heat with a 7700k at 5ghz paired with a 1080 Ti on modern games at 1080p and 1440p.

I just wanted to note this because people still often think about release benchmarks for Ryzen which don't take into account bios updates and patches for games.

fucking THIS

>more recent benchmarks
No, those benchmarks are from one week ago with all newest updates installed.

Stop talking bullshit when you don't even know what the source is.

In fact, the benchmarks you are showing are way older

I had my FX-8350 and got 1700 at launch. I can say this is accurate.

The next CPU I'll get is probably the the thing after Zen+

Post the source of your benchmarks so we can find out why they show results materially different from what you get from an R7 with 3600mhz ram paired with a 1080 ti then.

>Intel forces mainstream consumers to stay with 4 core CPU's for 10 years straight with only minor clockspeed and IPC improvements each year
>no reason for this other than spite and their inferior manufacturing processes, 6 cores are locked on HEDT for a substantial price for both CPU and mobo
>people still defend this company
Intel has been purposely holding back the desktop PC market for ages, I don't understand why they have fanboys. Fuck Coffee Lake, Skylake should have had a 6 core i7 on mainstream from the start. People ask "why aren't games optimized for more than 4 threads?" Well, maybe it's because every 6 core besides the Phenom II X6 was ridiculously expensive and out of the reach of any gamer.

(OP)

(OP)

Pls stop

I have my FX-8350 (since 2013) and got 1700 at launch. I can say this is accurate.

The next CPU I'll get is the CPU after Zen+.

This zen2 / navi / 4k build will last 10 years easy.

Not to say zen is bad, but second gen is always the best because it irons out the kinks, is faster, and includes tech they didn't have time for the first gen.

I have my FX-8350 (since 2013) and got 1700 at launch. I can say this is accurate.

The next CPU I'll get is the CPU after Zen+.

If the actually build drivers that work, maybe. For now, no.