Why did real competitors to PS fail and vanish so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

thebloomapp.com/purchase/
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
youtube.com/watch?v=tvOa9__SM5Y
docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-rectangular.html
registry.gimp.org/node/59
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap
gematsu.com/exclusives
krita.org/en/item/first-development-builds-for-krita-4-0/
youtube.com/watch?v=swHBg91k8zo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

still big enough to take care about the competition

Artists do not care about status of a product, not the quality

What are you talking about? CorelDraw does still exist.

What are you talking about?
There are still a couple of competitors that are doing well, stuff like Serif's Affinity suite etc.

Because Adobe always make best products, it's literally the Aryan race of software. Just look at Adobe Flash Player, it's a state of art

Because every other peace of software that I've tried can't into CMYK (hey, GIMP, why so much plugins?) or non-destructive editing, or warp grids, or some other feature that I need.

Because for many years It's an industry standart so when you create a project - you always have to be sure that any printing house could easily edit it when necessary

CD is not that great. Also it's a vector editor.

I have high hopes for these guys. Their software is already good for some low-tier projects.

>etc

It's pretty much only Affinity.

>Gimp
haha, no

>CorelDraw does still exist.
>comparing a pixel editor with a vector based editor
this fucking board

what do they care about then?

>thebloomapp.com/purchase/
>doge meme
>costs money
in the trash it goes
does it even work on loonix?

>What is Krita?

It is a fucking PAINTING application.

Fucking hell, does anyone in here actually know anything about Photoshop?

no one dares to compete because they'd just get bought up and everyone will forget about them a month later and the opensource fags don't start something worthwhile because they actually think Gimp is good enough

Why are the edges of the circles in the UI so poorly antialiased? How did they manage to properly antialias the inside edge of the color wheel but not the outside edge?

Why should trust a graphics program that can't even get its own UI to look right?

Krita is OpenGL based so I guess they didn't care about perfecting that part and UI texture antialiasing isn't implemented yet

Why does being OpenGL based mean you don't care if your UI looks like shit?

How can you AA one edge of a graphic and not another edge of the same graphic if AA "isn't implemented"?

Ask them then. I'm not a fucking Krita team member.
Since they work with crowdfunding I guess they have the priorities on getting other shit to work and don't care about details like this

>I guess they have the priorities on getting other shit to work and don't care about details like this
That's fine

And hey, the next time you wonder why people use photoshop instead of this, you'll know the answer already

I've tried a bunch fo PS alternatives and none of them have all the features that PS has. But most of the time, you don't need all the features so it's OK to use one of the other programs.

I've tried Krita and GIMP, for example, but both are buggy. GIMP also works nothing like PS so it's incredibly hard to get used to it. It also has a shitton of WTF behaviors that will drive you insane if you know PS.

My favorite PS alternatives that have worked really well for me are Pixelmator and Affinity Pro. Both are a fraction of the PS price, you don't have to pay for the subscription, and they work just like PS and are "logical" (to me anyway).

here's the Affinity Photo screenshot.

I can recommend both of these alternatives. They work really well. Which of them is better is a preference. I like Pixelmator a bit more because it's older and more stable.

Garbage that runs inconsistently and isn't actually used by anyone

Because PS4 is the best balance beetween price / multiplatform / exclusives.

Ecosystem. All tutorials are in Photoshop. Everyone learns to do digital art stuff in Photoshop.

GIMP is better than Photoshop desu

Because freetards are tasteless bullshitters

> I dont like GIMP because it's not a copy of PS

Gimp fucking lost me on that layer border faggotry.
For example you make a new layer, draw something and you want to move the stuff on that layer to the side and paint on the other side. In Photoshop the layers are borderless and you can just paint fucking everywhere meanwhile in Gimp you first have to enlarge the boarders to the overall canvas to be able to draw in the new area again.

Then I wanted to add some text and when I wanted to narrow down the line spacing a bit it changed like 3px down and then THE SPACING GOT BIGGER while the numbers were actually still going more and more into the negative.
That's when I fucking shut down the fucking process and threw that shit from my PC.

There's simply too much every day stuff that SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK IT IS SUPPOSED TO in Gimp and it is enraging.

who the fuck even notices this shit? jesus

artists, lol

yep. Sometimes GIMP is hilariously bad.
Free software shills shouldn't make it's their frontrunner.

Loonix needs Affinity tools not to be absolute peasants

that is not a layer problem, it is a selection problem.
You can select stuff based on area or color or whatever and then only apply stuff to that area.

>I want free stuff.
>As good as proprietary.
>Wtf stop being peasants.
Ha
Haha
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Sadly, this will never ever happen.

A developer on the Serif forum actually said that the costs of making it work under Linux and also keep developing it with Linux also in mind would be way too much for such a small marketshare OS (home Linux usage is around 2% apparently).
He joked that if the community pays the bill they will do it but otherwise this will not happen.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to work in Wine and I got a lot of stuff to run under Wine.

I said nothing about free
Affinity tools are paid. So they would be paid on Linux as well, and that'd be fine.

You don't have good paid software. You don't have good software to begin with.

From what I can see the only hope for Linux are those browser based applications that run literally everywhere.

Which is a shame because doing actual work in a browser is disgusting.

Oh, if they're paid they've really got no excuse. Is their team just too small or what?

GIMP is simply not logical. Say you pick color with a color picker and then you use some other tool, that tool will have its own color. No other program works that way. It's just fucking stupid. There's hundreds of other examples.

you've nailed it. Turning off layer boundaries is 1st thing I do when starting it up and it always comes back after the restart. GIMP is just infuriating to use.
And keyboard shortcuts... holy fuck, talk about inconsistency. some tools require a single letter and some need a ctrl. and they are not like PS either.

>Affinity tools are paid. So they would be paid on Linux as well, and that'd be fine.

Only a fraction of the 2% who use Linux need tools like Photoshop or Serif Affinity in this case.
They won't fucking develop for 2000 users who bought the software for $60 a pop.

it seems that the only 2 things that can benefit linux users are:

Some other new software that's actually competent enough

or

Much better compatibility on WINE for the adobe suite to the point that it's a better experience than just using a virtual machine.

I tried Illustrator less a year ago and it was truly a nightmare.

>I tried Illustrator less a year ago and it was truly a nightmare.
It seems like there was a big leap happening with Wine since I was able to get some stuff to run with the latest version of it that wouldn't run at all before, even in 64bit.

So there's still hope.

2% seems generous to me, honestly. When I see Linux setups I see different text editors and maybe GIMP. How many artists are even base Linux? Seems like it's all programmers to me. I could see it used for in-house tools though, like really big budget Disney/Pixar projects where they need something you can't find anywhere else, so they develop it on Linux and either port it or keep it secure on one or two machines.

>that tool will have its own color.
Not sure what you mean.

>select red
>use brush tool. it's red
>switch to pen tool. it's red
>switch to bucket fill. it's red
>switch to airbrush. it's red.

Is that before a year before or more than that?

>How many artists are even base Linux?
That's the thing.
If there were JUST A HANDFUL of rock solid programs, a lot more people would use Linux.

Gimp openly sees itself as PS alternative while lots of things are either set up in complete different ways without a real reason or just aren't there. Compared to Krita the development is also LAUGHABLY slow and instead of Krita using that development power to become a real Photoshop contender they prefer to keep it a paint application only to not fuck with the (stagnating) Gimp. This is also really idiotic since there are TONS of Paint applications that are really cheap, powerful AND are cheap (SAI and ClipStudio, 40 bucks or something and insanely good). Meanwhile Krita could really stand out as PS alternative.

Music production is also a fucking nightmare in Linux. The applications available seem to get slowly better but setting low latency sound and midi up will take you LOTS of time and hair that you will rip out from your head.

In terms of 3D modeling Blender is truly a marvelous program compared to what you have for other creative areas in Linux but even that was more or less just luck since Blender was set up pretty much platform independent from the start.

I'm pretty sure most of the Blender's community don't even use Linux. Blender's userbase is on Windows and Macs. They make Linux version because they can... they've been cross-platform from the start.

Not only, it has all features for image editing.

This seriously feels like an sponsored anti-linux thread. Just gonna put some pasta here:
Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Because making an image editior like photoshop is hard and costs tons of money. Photoshop has been the standard for almost 30 years, you can't just come in and claim to be better, you actually have to be better.

some more pasta because i know the games argument will arise at some moment:
Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

do you have a pasta to prevent a Sup Forums discussion from starting?

>do you have a pasta to prevent a Sup Forums discussion from starting?
I just think people deserves to see the other side of the coin, i'm sorry if this disrupts the circlejerk.

There's a certain amount of irony

Honestly i don't know if this is a new level of genuine autism or if it's just people desperate to look down on something to make themselves feel better due to a mindless rivalry. Do you guys honestly how manage to look at every little detail and magnify it as much as possible while giving dozens of free passes to bullshit coming from companies like Microsoft or Adobe?

Elaborate please, or it's just a bluff?

Reminder that every time you open an image in Photoshop, it checks if it's an image of a banknote. Who knows what else it does.

>look at all this shit we have!
>a bunch of programs that offer nothing significant that their Windows/OSX counterparts don't and some games from 1995
>most of the above mentioned pieces of software are also available on Windows/OSX, so there's absolutely no reason for anyone to switch unless they feel like giving up all the software that still isn't available for Linux
Wow dude, you sure showed them.

using linux as a 3d dev is needlessly making your life difficult. regardless of what blender is capable of you will inevitably end up moving assets outside into a seperate package for refinement or accomplishing things blender simply cant (uv management / texturing / zbrush utilities etc). Depending on where you work, blender cant interface with reference files the rest of your team is working on so you'll just end up booting into windows anyway to drop shit in maya/max/unreal whatever.

im no adobe shill but ps is here to stay because most competent artists utilize the image editing capabilities that ps carries somewhere in their pipeline. sai krita and gimp(lol) might have competent drawing tools but once you start fucking with value balancing or most basic transformation tools youll want ps to speed up the process. why use another program if youre going to find yourself in ps later, just save yourself the time and finish everything in one program.

as far as 3d is concerned youll usually find yourself opening your tifs tgas exrs etc in photoshop to check on things which i know sai doesnt support but cant speak for krita gimp etc. most packages also support psds and dont offer support for any other packages' native codec

adobes pricing is horrendous and i hate it but were all cucked until a better package hits the market and you convince everyone else to integrate it

dont get me started on mac shills

>This seriously feels like an sponsored anti-linux thread.
>WAAH WAAAH, THEY'RE NOT LICKING THE TUX BUTT AND QUESTION THINGS

People like you make it actually difficult when an actual shill thread comes along.

There, I will say it more clearly
>Blender
Great
>Freecad
Very, very good
>Krita
Really awesome
>Gimp
A fucking joke
>Music production on Linux
A nightmare

There are some things that still keep many people (especially creative ones) from Linux and the Linux community is too fucking stubborn to fucking REALIZE THIS PROBLEM AND TACKLE IT and rather just scream "shillllllsss" and/or even resort to personal insults

>look at all this shit we have!
We do, good dank shit in fact ;)

>a bunch of programs that offer nothing significant that their Windows/OSX counterparts don't and some games from 1995
And here you just show all your butt hurt, congratulations, now it's pretty clear you just do this out of a petty rivalry with no significant arguments. It just hurts you so much people showing proof of the bullshit and the exaggeration.

>most of the above mentioned pieces of software are also available on Windows/OSX, so there's absolutely no reason for anyone to switch unless they feel like giving up all the software that still isn't available for Linux
No one is trying to convert you so calm down my friend and stop thinking about this like if it were a tribal war, that way you may get a better judgment.

Dragon's dogma is not on Linux, that post is irrelevant

>We do, good dank shit in fact ;)
>dank

such hip, so community!

>And here you just show all your butt hurt
What? It's a fact that the vast majority of the stuff you listed is inferior to their commercial Windows/OSX counterparts.

>Surely you're a Microsoft shill! You can't point out the inferiority of Linux alternatives unless you want Linux to stay irrelevant!
Yeah, that's what it is. I like spending money so much that I have decided to launch a crusade against Linux. It has nothing to do with the fact that the available Linux alternatives are years behind the competition as far as features and general usability goes.

>WAAH WAAAH, THEY'RE NOT LICKING THE TUX BUTT AND QUESTION THINGS
Dude, you literally cannot criticize Microsoft in any way in this board because immediately the sills will tell you that if you're criticizing Microsoft for any reason it must be because you're not a professional and that you must be a neet and that's all their argument. Honestly it's hard to not believe there's actual shills in this place, the feeling of being advertised is just hard to ignore.

>There, I will say it more clearly
I don't have any problem with your opinions. The evidence is there's an everyone can make their own conclusions.

>There are some things that still keep many people (especially creative ones) from Linux and the Linux community is too fucking stubborn to fucking REALIZE THIS PROBLEM AND TACKLE IT and rather just scream "shillllllsss" and/or even resort to personal insults.
The problems are being tackled, in fact i don't see a reason to berate the work of people who is doing something with the best intentions. Try to justify that, you can't. As i said people sees this as a mindless tribal war, you're completely blind if you pretend personal insults and thrash-talking doesn't comes from the other side in the same or in my own experience even bigger amounts.

rule 34

Blender, Freecad and Krita are relevant, the rest of Linux art-related software is crap

>production houses dont manage shit in blender
>natron is a shitty nuke
>gimp is shitty photoshop
>unity
>"bricscad is like rhino but better huhrrr"
>muhmuh muh pixar
this is the only compelling point but its important to note that the vast majority of software employed by illumination/dreamworks/pixar etc is developed and supported in house and not available for public or commercial use: see apollo etc

i dont work at a big animation house but im more than willing to bet these rigs were modeled/rigged textured in your household autodesk apps

>Dragon's dogma is not on Linux, that post is irrelevant
youtube.com/watch?v=tvOa9__SM5Y

Now, there's a lot of console exclusives that are not on windows, guess what? with your logic you just made windows gaming irrelevant, congratulations. So what about letting fanboyism aside and to accept that linux now has a respectable amount of games and that is growing as a platform despite who much this may hurt the pride of some people?.

how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

The thing is, if no one tries to break out of that loop they actually will stay the #1 and can dictate all kinds of stupid shit.

That's why people try to use alternative ways which is a good thing.
A real Photoshop contender is a KEY APPLICATION.
Blender alone is capable of incredibly many things (you can even edit video footage really well in it) and having Gimp in a Blender workflow makes Gimp a fucking bottleneck.

Affinity Photo in Linux would be the fucking solution but yes, won't happen. Krita getting branched into a Gimp alternative and probably something incredibly better will probably also not happen since apparently they suck too much Gimp dev dick.

elaborate please? or it's just sour grapes because this endanger the perceived superiority of windows?

They don't care about software. At all. They want to do art and they do it using whatever everyone is using and whatever they try first.

It's not an OS thing, quality art software is on windows/mac. The developers and the vast majority of artists don't give a crap about Linux.

>production houses dont manage shit in blender
Nice claim, this is a devil's proof, but i know, now you'll pretend you work on that and that among all your years of experience you've practically never seen blender being used.

>natron is a shitty nuke
>gimp is shitty photoshop
>unity
Elaborate or else it's just hot opinions.

>"bricscad is like rhino but better huhrrr"
What? i never said that, does looking at that video endangers the perceived superiority of windows and that's why you feel the need to disregard it?

>muhmuh muh pixar
What? does it hurt you to see that?

>i dont work at a big animation house but im more than willing to bet these rigs were modeled/rigged textured in your household autodesk apps
Ok, so i bet you're wrong.

>It's not an OS thing, quality art software is on windows/mac. The developers and the vast majority of artists don't give a crap about Linux.
ok, if you say so, the evidence is still there tho so your claim becomes a devil's proof.

How do you open the circle tool in GIMP?

Gimp could have been perfect if they tried to emulate Photoshop, but since they're retards, they created their own snowflake bubble and did shitty things that Photoshop managed out years ago.

blender is the red headed stepchild of 3d because it doesnt do anything that other packages cant at the expense of 10s of hours of readjustment and stepping way outside of the rest of your teams pipeline. having your software be copacetic with the td and the rest of the team is paramount, there are some great vdc conferences you can watch about this issue.
case in point: i dont work in blender because i do better modeling in zbrush and better animation in maya in a fraction of the time. blender offers nothing these programs dont except an initial pricepoint and i dont think perpetually putting yourself 3 steps behind the game is worth saving yourself a couple hundred bucks

>elaborate please?
It is painfully obvious when you come from PS to Gimp or from Cubase/ProTools/AbletonLive/FLStudio to LMMS and Ardour and even worse, from ASIO to the whole measly documented audio subsystem of Linux. JACK has some really interesting and great solutions to a lot of stuff but setting all up just to a BASE level to make things just work like a base installation anywhere else takes a lot of time and often there's no help when something does not work or things are simply not documented at all.

The older you get the less time you have to spend on things that could be done a lot quicker in a different way and if you're a professional you also think more in terms of "time = money" which will also naturally lead you to stuff that works right out of the box, no matter which OS.

I forgot to meantion that Bitwig seems to be really well though but that won't help you with setting up the audio and midi.

>Now, there's a lot of console exclusives that are not on windows
Mostly handheld games. There's very few console exclusives specially now that MS decided to put every single Xbox One game on PC. There's no comparison to be made because you get 1 in maybe 10 AAA releases, if that. And sometimes they take years to release, like Saints Row IV. When that was ported to linux, nobody gave a shit. Not a single person. Because it was old and shitty. Also games like The Witcher 2 had a port. Well, a wrapper which works like absolute garbage. So they gave up with TW3 which is one of the best RPGs around.

In all seriousness nowadays you don't even get 50% of new indie game releases, which is absurd since most of your games are indie.

What you need is decent drivers and decent APIs, you're not going to push someone to the side when they get less performance and nowadays every game that comes out makes people try to actively look for ways to run their shit faster, not slower.

Also that video you posted highlights the issues. A 290X not capable of running this shit at stable 60FPS in the overworld when a 280X is capable? I have a very similar setup and I wouldn't play with that hitching. Why would I switch to linux for that?

Gimp does not have shape tools like krita or inkscape.

>GIMP is not designed to be used for drawing.[4] However, you may create shapes by either painting them using the technique described in Section 14.1, “Drawing a Straight Line” or by using the selection tools.

docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-rectangular.html

The shape tools are for creating selections, however any selection can be either stroked or transformed into a path. For creating a circle or an oval just use the oval selection tool (press shift for an 1:1 ratio like in any other program), then with a pair of clicks you can use the shapes panel to convert it into a path and troke it if you want. Of course you can stroke the path more times or transform it of you want.
The webm shows how to stroke an oval (or circle if you press shift).

Also there's a plugin to create shapes with parameters:
registry.gimp.org/node/59

However i don't discard they may add tools for shapes in the furture because they added support for the "my paint" brush engine in the development versions.
wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap

That's the joke. There's no reason to use a Photoshop "alternative" that lacks basic features. Anyone serious about productivity will just consider it a waste of their time to fuck around switch between multiple programs or installing plugins just to do shit that other software does right out of the box.

>blender offers nothing these programs dont

Boxmodelling is incredibly fast in Blender and defintely a fuckton faster than anywhere else but I guess you're right that in the long run the tools of other programs make you COMPLETE the whole project a lot quicker.

So if your projects are fairly minimal, you can be quicker in Blender but otherwise advanced or medium big projects will take longer.

Blender's UI is very nonstandard, I'll give you that, but once you use it for a long time (like I have assumed you have used your tools of choice) it's quite efficient, especially since all the tools are under the umbrella of a single program so they all fit together very well. If you're doing solo work or your entire team uses blender, it's great. Look at the open movie projects.

please stop this, you won't win anyone over this way

OpenSCAD is great for procedural stuff. Inkscape is good enough to work with, kdenlive is comparable to premiere from my limited experience, and Linux has lightworks and davinci now.

Renoise is great if you like tracker based DAWs, and I never had any problems setting up JACK. Pulseaudio passthrough even worked out of the box.

Gimp's UI decisions are pants on head retarded. As soon as krita gets better and more intuitive text and selection tools, there will be literally no reason to use gimp.

Really, it all comes down to the tools you're most familiar with. Use and learn the industry standard stuff if you plan on getting a real job with it, but if you're a hobbyist or do solo work, the tools are there. Some of them have rough edges (and some do things better than their proprietary counterparts) but I'd rather support an open source project than a proprietary one, given that I'm not sacrificing significant features.

>Mostly handheld games.
>There's very few console exclusives specially now that MS decided to put every single Xbox One game on PC.
not true: gematsu.com/exclusives

>There's no comparison to be made because you get 1 in maybe 10 AAA releases, if that.
True, linux needs more AAA games to break the vicious circle. That doesn't mean the ones available are bad.

>And sometimes they take years to release, like Saints Row IV. When that was ported to linux
Yep, but things are getting better.

>nobody gave a shit. Not a single person. Because it was old and shitty
Why so strong feelings against linux becoming a viable platform for games? in what way having more options hurts you?

>Also games like The Witcher 2 had a port. Well, a wrapper which works like absolute garbage.
It got fixed eventually and currently Eon has good performance in general although this depends on the game.

>So they gave up with TW3 which is one of the best RPGs around.
True, it's sad but the more people uses linux this can be fixed.

>In all seriousness nowadays you don't even get 50% of new indie game releases, which is absurd since most of your games are indie.
And? This is just a competition to show superiority? if that's so you win, linux is not even near to compete with linux regarding games. Now the question is, now that you win what did you earned by berating linux?

>What you need is decent drivers and decent APIs,
Since valve entered in the field the drivers made huge strides and the APIs improved a lot. Make some research.

>ou're not going to push someone to the side when they get less performance and nowadays every game that comes out makes people try to actively look for ways to run their shit faster, not slower.
True, this would be pretty bad if games were the only reason to use a computer. Don't worry, i'm not trying to push you even when linux users has something to win with a higher marketshare.

>As soon as krita gets better and more intuitive text and selection tools
I'm not informed about the current development. Is improving the text tools on the table right now?

Text tool is being worked on now and I think it's going to be included in the 4.0 release, so it will be sometime in the next few weeks most likely.

Fuck yea, I'm hyped

>Also that video you posted highlights the issues. A 290X not capable of running this shit at stable 60FPS in the overworld when a 280X is capable? I have a very similar setup and I wouldn't play with that hitching.
AMD had always problems compared to Nvidia on linux but those drivers has matured over the time, look at phoronix if you want to be informed about that kind of developments instead of parroting what you heard on Sup Forums.

>Why would I switch to linux for that?
Don't do it, decide that by yourself. I have a question, linux users has clearly something to win with a higher marketshare which is better support and no need to depend on windows. However windows users has something to lose considering their support is guaranteed due to it's huge marketshare? do you have a good reason to berate linux or it's just a tribal thing?

this is probably the most autistic thing i've read on Sup Forums

professional artists and designers work in a pipeline (consisting of many disciplines, most of which adobe has software for) which requires documents and assets to be constantly updated and reiterated on throughout the whole process based on in house or client feedback

found it
>We’re still working on the new text tool. We got the basics working only last week, but that isn’t in these development builds yet. It’s too rough for even that!
krita.org/en/item/first-development-builds-for-krita-4-0/

>please stop this, you won't win anyone over this way
Ok, are you able to justify what the other people thrash-talking is doing then? I don't care what you think i think the bullshit deserver to be called out, sorry if i misunderstood you, but you know, this is Sup Forums.

>Gimp's UI decisions are pants on head retarded. As soon as krita gets better and more intuitive text and selection tools, there will be literally no reason to use gimp.
Ok, why don't you talk with the developers and make some propositions, just don't have the same attitude that the other guys in this thread.

>Really, it all comes down to the tools you're most familiar with. Use and learn the industry standard stuff if you plan on getting a real job with it, but if you're a hobbyist or do solo work, the tools are there. Some of them have rough edges (and some do things better than their proprietary counterparts) but I'd rather support an open source project than a proprietary one, given that I'm not sacrificing significant features.
I agree completely with you.

i dont have an issue with nonstandard ui, zbrush has an indefensible ui but its tolerable soley because its subd modeling workflow is superior to anything else on the market and 4r8s vector displacement applications only widen the gap. im fond of blender as a beginners package but from a learning perspective you are better off biting the bullet and using industry standard tools

the key takeaway from this thread is irregardles of how create you think your alternative software might be (it probably isnt), it doesnt see use commercially because you're slowing down the rest of your team by using nonstandard techniques. Unless your package offers something leading competitors cant, there isnt a good reason to bother your td about it, they have enough to worry about.

im all for pursuing alternative programs, but i don't invest time in something that doesn't promise speeding up my workflow. example: i just picked up marvelous because their sims are great and it offers solutions to a lot of issues traditional packages cant solve right now. It's worth adopting. I'm not jumping into linux unless it can cut down my dev time.

What's the most important thing in the Free software? It's free. It comes at no cost and with no liabilities, data mining or legal burden.
Companies can afford these costs. Companies can protect themselves from data mining. Companies know their rights and have their lawyers.
And THE BEST companies need THE BEST tools that exist on the market. So it happens that, for companies, wit all costs accounted, these proprietary software products that you see all around are the best. And if you want to work in the best company, you have to be familiar with the best tools. And they are not free for you.

>Ok, are you able to justify what the other people thrash-talking is doing then? I don't care what you think i think the bullshit deserver to be called out, sorry if i misunderstood you, but you know, this is Sup Forums.
If you trash talk them back it's like feeding the fire and you lose.

> Ok, why don't you talk with the developers and make some propositions, just don't have the same attitude that the other guys in this thread.
People have tried to do this but the gimp devs are too stubborn for their own good. People have forked it before but the forks died.

It doesn't see wide commercial use because everyone's already standardized on the current software. As it stands, there aren't huge technical barriers for many of the FOSS alternatives, it's an adoption and interoperability issue, which would be solved by wider use.
In the end, your skills as an artist matter a lot more than the tools you're using anyway. Any amount of speed lost or gained by your tools is going to massively overshadowed by your skills.

Very nice. Now lets hope it will be as good as we hope and also not take years

youtube.com/watch?v=swHBg91k8zo
>Awesome review! I am the main UI designer right now with Krita and I will see what I can do about those suggestions. Especially the ones about the scrollbar contrast and hovering over the sliders. The mouse wheel point might need some discussion with artists as different people have different preferences with things like that. It at least needs to be easier to change though in the preferences. The shortcut configuration could be improved.

>For the text and vector tools...what you were playing with is actually the broken-ish, terrible, text tools that were already there. With the power of Kickstarter, we will be converting our vector format to SVG, adding a few features, and doing some UI/UX improvements to make it easier to use. We have quite a bit of work done on the vector tools, but still need to do quite a bit on the text tools. They should be pretty nice when they are done.

>Keep up the good work!

And this is why we love Krita and shit about Gimp.

>What's the most important thing in the Free software? It's free. It comes at no cost and with no liabilities, data mining or legal burden.
Well, to be fair any kind of software is only as good as the people who manages or bundles it. There's nothing that prevents a person from forking a piece of open source software and to distribute it modified with malicious purpose on other channels the same way proprietary software doesn't need to implement bullshit just for being proprietary. The big advantage for me is that everyone has the same right over open source software (unless there's a CLA, but this generally affects only contributors) so if one person goes batshit crazy other people can continue developing the software without the bad parts. Also because everyone can see the development and the code that's a bid deterrent for hiding shit in the code, remember what happened when the developers of debian found that chromium downloads a blob that keeps hearing the microphone? This is what is important, to constantly scrutinize.