What are some of your regrets that you have from your current PC build?

What are some of your regrets that you have from your current PC build?

I'll start, I picked the wrong case.

Idk if I picked the wrong case or not. It's the old Fractal Define XL which comes with the annoying cage at the top which can't be removed.

It's pretty good but I think I could've made a better choice at that time, I bought it in 2011.

>mfw when nzxt h440
should have bought something cheaper
also fell for the custom loop water loop and multiple ssd meme

>multiple ssd meme

why is this a meme? having multiple SSDs is good if you find a spare SSD or whatever

yeah but at least your case is pretty

and why don't you like the multiple SSDs? I have one for boot, but I'm planning on buying another one down the road for games to minimize load times.

what is the objectively good choice for case?

full tower

8+ drive bays

>find a spare ssd
yeah if your rich maybe
mechanical drives are better to use for storage because they are much cheaper per storage
only think you'd want ssd for is OS install and maybe mpv, vim, gimp, and other regular programs you might use

it is but its a waste since its like in the desk and only i ever have seen it

who the fuck needs that many bays?

>not picking a modular PSU

i will never do this ever again, the spaghetti from a non-modular is too much

Picked an ugly case and bought a shitty mobo that didn't allow overclocking with a CPU that allowed overclocking.
Also a non modular PSU.

Getting Ryzen instead of the 7700k

Have a Fractal R2 XL bought when it was new. Used it for my Ryzen rebuild.
Bought 6x 140mm Noctua industrial fans. Great fans and airflow but now I want to upgrade cases and nothing else supports 6 140mm fans and has a tempered glass side panel and doesn't look like shit. I'm not buying new fans

When you have the best case how do you even upgrade?

Objectively?

That's a completely relative answer.

OP here, I should have gone with an ITX tower. liquid CPU cooler, 2x8gb RAM, and enough room for my GTX1080. That's all you really need.

But if I was building a server, I'd go with an ATX mid-tower that can hold several hard drives.

I have the first version of that case, there is really no point in upgrading to a new case.

*pats your head*

I got a gigabyte 3d mars case for no reason. Bough it in 2011 and its still overkill , plus its ugly as fuck and has no space behind mb

>$0.03 has been deposited in your account
>good goy

wat

Non-modular PSU. The interior isn't really that cluttered, but its a fucking mess behind the motherboard try.

good boy.

Not rubbered holes in my Corsair 230T but I got it for $50 so not complaining. Any recommendations? Photo is my current build without cable management

I regret going mATX with my Ryzen build. A second PCIe x16 slot would be nice.

Rich? So many poofags on Sup Forums it's pathetic.

Get a fucking job.

Fuck, my back panel is a mess even with a fully modular PSU.

>being a wagecuck
yeah no thanks nigger

I'd buy a 1080ti rather than the 1080. And I should've probably bought a better motherboard than b350

>RGB PSU
nice meme. otherwise looks pretty comf

I got the 1080 STRIX at nVidia MSRP of $549.99 for an ASSU STRIX.

Went with a pentium instead of an i7.
My rational at the time was that I would put together a cheap computer that can get me by while waiting for ryzen, and repurpose the pentium as a router/firewall. Ryzen came, and I realized that I should have just gotten an i7. Now I have a pc that's good enough for almost everything that I actually do, and would be able to do everything if it was actually clocked higher. I'm at a point where I can't justify an upgrade to an i7, or going full amd anymore.

desu the dude at microcenter recommended it to me, at $85, was looking for EVGA but eh, I can always return it in 28 days. I don't give two shits about RGB

fair. it's a good psu anyway

I have the EVGA FTW 1080, works fine by me
The only time I saw major dips was in the Argent Tower in DOOM, but I found out that was a CPU intensive area
If the TI was priced at $700 for aftermarkets, I would say I should've bought it instead, since im running 1440p

I got a cheap ASRock motherboard. It works, but I've heard bad things.

Non-modular PSU.

Yeah, I feel the same. All my components worked and all I really need is a new headset and 64GB of RAM and a 7700k, I think I'll be set for years

I bought a full tower case instead of a mid tower. It's way too big.

Fill it up baby

A million times this. Next build this year or the next will definitely have a modular PSU, the spaghetti can get insane on the back.

>first build last August
>bought an i5-6600k
Really wish I had just bought the 6700k honestly, I had the money for it and much more if I had really wanted. I didn't have it in me to wait so long for Ryzen but I do wish I had one of those instead as well.

Buying a cheap GPU brand. It started making weird sounds a few weeks after I bought it, and broke after, like 4 years of use.

Meanwhile the GTX 280, a GPU that's nearly 10 years old, still works perfectly.

i didn't make any mistakes, i just upgraded it two years later. dropped a 760 sli for a 1070.

The nest of cables doesn't bother me really, but my next pc will have a full modular seasonic, or superflower with custom length cables.

I got "low latency" expensive G.Skill Flare ram sticks for my Ryzen build, but the passmark tests put me in the 60th percentile and the latency is like 80ns. It's not even in the average for the same sticks on other builds.

Plus 3200MHz isn't really 3200MHz, it's 1600MHz. I got memed on hard.

what? a full tower case is perfect unless you're the type of person who is constantly changing apartments every month

it's 3200mhz, you change it in the bios

My mobo got EOL
Still rocking a 260x until gpu prices crash

>Plus 3200MHz isn't really 3200MHz, it's 1600MHz.
Read up what does DDR stand for.

Non-modular PSU, not enough drive bays

I have no regrets. Even when I was a kid and cut out a retarded version of a circle on sided panel to fit an extra case fan and used scotch tape to cover the big gaps around the sides of the fan. It was worth the better temps.

I should have gone with the LGA2011-v3 instead of LGA1150 & LGA1151.
I have ended up spending more money on 2 (two) systems than I would have on 1 (one) good.
The enterprise solutions would have allowed me to play CounterStrike at a whopping 60FPS with V-sync on.

you posted this shit numerous times yesterday and you still havent bothered cable managing the thing. fuck boy.

When I was younger and my pc at the time died, my father just so happened to find a random pc build at a foreclosure and ended up suiting me for a couple years. Thing ran so hot and over heated constantly despite having like 20 fans in the thing. I cut all the grills out from the fans because they were stopping the fans from pulling/exiting air and it ran 30c cooler with noise level down to bare minimum. Since then I always look for cases that have extremely large honeycomb grills for the fans.

here it is actually. after 2 years of having it I sold it on craigslist for $200. I wish I copied down the specs on it.

I have the Mastercase, too. What's wrong with it?

I want a girl to do this to me irl. Life is suffering...
Captcha: DEAD

V-sync would run at 60fps, by definition, if you have a 60fps monitor.

Should've gotten a 2TB HDD when I bought a new one instead of a 1TB one.
Earlier it was a too loud PSU, but I switched that.

>mechanical drives are better because I can't afford SSD
really making me think over here

Bought a seasonic M12II evo for my build (was in a deal when I built my rig) because I read they're great and all. It has a low buzzing noise. Had it exchanged, new one did the same.
Should have just buy a (cheaper) corsair like I had on my rig before.

>When you have the best case how do you even upgrade?
You don't.

>Any recommendations?
Plug in your graphics card, it will run much better.

i picked a cheap cooler because I was impatient it works just fine but is uglier than sin

I regret that I let Sup Forums build it over 10 years ago. To this day every single original component runs perfectly and I cannot possibly bear to replace working parts. Fuck those assholes a decade ago who actually gave me good advice. I'm stuck with this garbage for who knows how much longer.

To present, it's cost me 15.6 cents per day.

i've built it last summer, should've get 16 GiB ram instead of 8, i thought i will buy more when i need it, guess what happened to the prices

I built a gaming PC to only hate modern gaming.

Now I can't sell the fucking thing years later even though there were upgraded and it still blows consoles the fuck out.

Seriously.
I got 8gb ddr4 last summer, hoping that the prices would fall a little bit by this year and then I'd get 8gb more.
Instead 8gb of ddr4 costs just as much as 16gb would have cost last year.

A/S/L?

Does it blow other pcs the fuck out at the price that you're trying to sell it at?

22/M/Swe

Not sure because there really isn't a market around me.

All my mistakes I already fixed, like buying a too weak mobo TWO TIMES IN A ROW, then finally buying a decent one.

I got the NZXT H440. It has really shitty airflow for cases in its price range. I also wish I went for the R9 390 instead of the 3.5 GB 970...

I got an i5 7500 over a Ryzen 5 1600.

I haven't actually built the PC, I need a new case and PSU but Sup Forums, how fucked am I?

I fell for the "you never have to upgrade your case, it will last forever!" meme, and tried to build inside my old Antec 300

Specs, and price?

Many regrets.

For starters I got some used 280x. It has been working for a few years without giving me trouble, but I wish I went the nvidia way instead.

I got a cheap crappy H81-E33. It has been giving me problems to no end. Specially when trying to boot drives, if it detects any slight anomaly (and that's half of the fucking time) it will get stuck so I have to unplug all SATA drives, turn the thing on and off and plug them back. This has been happening more and more lately so I picked a GA-Z97-HD3 instead, I hope it works fine.

Also a cheap third world brand case that has LEDs and all that crap. I got it because it was extremely cheap for what it offered. But almost none of the frontal jacks/ports work.

And of course that I got the cheapest haswell I could find, a 4460. No overclocking, no nothing. Maybe one day, if I feel brave enough I will get a 4790k because it might prove less expensive than the equivalent for a newer socket + motherboard + DDR4 RAM.

say hello to your stuttering autistic PC!!!!

Thank you anons for reassuring me. The ONLY downside to this case really is that the liquid support is mediocre. I just did a front panel RGB LED mod and I...THINK it's working correctly but it's slightly too white sometimes. Not sure. It's kind of fucky, but I can reverse it if I ever want to not a big deal.

I also want to upgrade my acrylic side window to a tempered glass panel by using a normal blank panel and cutting the appropriate size hole.

I do love this case, space for days, quiet even with all the fans, and it's built like a tank. I could fit up to 8 3.5 or 2.5 drives (no special place behind the mobo for 2.5 drives, this was made before they really caught on so the trays are dual purpose) but it's just perfect.

Okay I feel better about it. I looked around everywhere and literally everything would be a downgrade of some sort, except the one fuckhuge Nanoxia, but that's just excessive for what I need.

Have fun having your cores at 100% with no headroom for the future. Why would you do that? Literally the only CPU I could recommend from Intel is the 7700k and I think i7 quad cores are retarded.

I get it, in which cases will I actually see the stuttering? In normal web browsing? In games?

no optical drive in my s340 elite

should have gotten the better mobo, aka the taichi. fit my build theme much better

If there's still time I'd take back your CPU and mobo and maybe RAM and buy Ryzen instead. The i5 is more or less obsolete.

SSDs you can literally throw anywhere though. I had to change place on my SSD from behind the motherboard to inside an empty 5.25" bay since the new PSU cables wouldn't fit against the wall.

Don't listen to the doomsayers. I5 is still fine if you're playing games or have light workloads. The R5 would be better in the long run though.

True. Right now the setup is:
M.2 on motherboard
4X HDD cage removed off top (it's an 8 stack that's got the top half removable and bottom relocatable) then in the 4 stack:
2.5" SSD
then 3X 3.5 HDD. Figured I wasn't going to use the tray anyhow so why not stick the SSD in there.

Also I should mention I don't plan to liquid cool anyway, as I have a Cryorig R1 Ultimate with two more Noctua IPPC fans..So 8 total in that case.

I lived with an A8-7410 so anything is an improvement, and I guess I can save 400ish dollars for next year and get something once I'm better informed. Also hoping for an improvement on the 1050ti I got.

yeah exactly, fuck this jewish shit

1.) Fractal Design cases are nice and minimalist but they are also heavy and bulky. Not the best computer for LAN parties when you're hauling this thing around.

2.) Should've went with a 512GB SSD instead of 256GB.

3.) GTX 680 was a meme and I paid an extra ~$100 for a marginal improvement over a 670.

My case is way too big and kind of falling apart, but it was the best thing I could find back in the days, I bought G.Skill memory which is kind of terrible, both of my RAM sticks failed within 3 years so I had to change them. My Antec 620 HCG PSU is meh.

The rest is cool though.

I bought the R9 380 and a couple of months later AMD released the RX 480

locked cpu

I just have a Fractal Design Core 2500, it has four 3.5"/2.5" bays + one SSD place behind the motherboard. I have the bottom cage removed and two HDDs in the top one, plus the SSD thrown in one of the 5.25" bays. I will probably by some cheap 5.25" to 2.5" converter from China though.

None really.
But it is showing it's age.
I think next year I'm going to do a new build

i bought an fx 6300 and not a g4560, now im here with a 3 yr old mobo that's not linux compatible till bios update comes.

fml

>tfw not a corelet anymore
feels good

Case is too big (corsair 700D) because I had 4 house moves since buying it.
I'll buy a new case with Vega and redo the water loop at the same time, then it will be perfect.