Fedorabuntu

Why not Fedora?

> As of February 2016, Fedora has an estimated 1.2 million users,[9] including Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux kernel.[10][11]

Other urls found in this thread:

news.softpedia.com/news/Linus-Torvalds-Smashes-the-Fedora-Project-Calls-Them-Stupid-393127.shtml
plus.google.com/ LinusTorvalds/posts/Wh3qTjMMbLC
nodejs.org/en/download/package-manager/#debian-and-ubuntu-based-linux-distributions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's not a rhetorical question.

give two reasons why someone should switch from debian to fedora

doesn't work with my proprietary wlan card

Here are thousands of reasons. Fedora stable release has newer software.

>there are thousands of reasons
>gives 1 reason

But it's not stable

Worse software compatibility than Debian derivatives.

Every program is a separate reason, dumbass.

Source? Linus wouldn't use an unstable OS.

>software compatibility
What do you even mean?

are you fucking retarded? what kind of cunt is going to install fedora and only use one program? how do you possibly think this way? if you were going to write a listicle about the benefits of fedora would you seriously write 1000 entries on every newer software piece?

>implying debian is stable

Debian derivatives are about the worst you can do in terms of software compability.
First off, on stable releases, your software is either years old and without the features you'd expect or need.
Second, the debian method of package management requires you to manage the repositories yourself. Large amounts of software isn't readily available on the base install, and that's not limited to nonfree software.
Third, the derivatives regularly break namespaces making some software plain impossible to install by conventional means and resulting in incorrect dependencies and wrong software versions.
Fourth, software compatibility doesn't actually mean shit on a system where you can build anyhting from source just as you like it.
Fift, though, in my experience Debian's management of software installed from source is shit.

You have official releases for things like Steam and some install scripts you find on github rely on apt-get but that's it as fas as software support being an argument goes.

Debian is the distro where you'll curl a shell script from the internet and execute it as root to install nodeJS.

>systemd

One of the things I like about Fedora and related RedHat releases is that their packages deviate as little from upstream as possible. Debian and Ubuntu add their own patches and move configs to different directories so upstream documentation is out of step with what you're using.

Because I don't give a shit who uses it, I'm going to use what I personally prefer

Linus is famous for creating one of the most unstable pieces of software that's is still on use today

Unlike Linus, redhat isnt paying me to use it.

I looked at Antergos and Fedora (both GNOME) as a replacement for my Linux Mint laptop. Antergos was better in everyway.

news.softpedia.com/news/Linus-Torvalds-Smashes-the-Fedora-Project-Calls-Them-Stupid-393127.shtml
+ no rpm -qa list (it must be so hard)

This is the most retarded post of the week, well done

> + no rpm -qa list
What are you talking about, it works just fine on fedora25...

i meant on the website dumdum

fedora's repo is awful, definitely not a reason

>Antergos was better in everyway.
Because it's more obscure.
"I use a distro you've probably never heard of".
I thought a fedora would be more attractive.

>The linux kernel is unstable.

user, I...

Some Linux servers spend about 800 days online before rebooting. If that is unstable, Windows' kernel is sitting on top of a thumbtack.

Much better than Debian 9

Debian testing is despite the name damn stable and gets all the new packages.

Fedora also has a rolling testing distro called Rawhide, but I'm talking about stable releases.

Fedora is a beta for Red Hat release.
By using it you work fot Red Hat for free.

No, thanks, NSA.

And RedHat works with NSA, don't forget that.

Erm... no? If I just use it then Red Hat doesn't get any labour from me. Also, Fedora is more stable than most other mainstream distroa so calling it beta shows you don't know what beta is.

Fucktard.

>hurr durr I got newer package than u
>this is not a beta u dumb fuck

your a beta tester for me user

>By using it you work fot Red Hat for free.
literally, bro

don't be a beta amiright?

>Debian is the distro where you'll curl a shell script from the internet and execute it as root to install nodeJS.

Damn, this one got memed on too hard lmfao

>doesn't work with my proprietary wlan card

That's a decent reason to spend 30$ on a new one.

I don't like to completely upgrade every ~6 months.

I don't really give a shit what version DE I have as long as it works. With Debian stable + backports I can backport Debian testing shit without completely disrupting my workstation.

>I don't like to completely upgrade every ~6 months.
it's good practice imho, since at least it kills the botnet every ~6months

so basically there are no good arguments against Fedora?

Debian gets games. Good enough reason for me to stay in the deb ecosystem.

>it's good practice imho
what ? how is trying to figure out which API/ABI or depencency has changed every 6 months good practice?

looks more like there isn't any good argument to use fedora

there is no good argument in favor of fedora

To be entirely honest, I've used a ton of linux distros but have avoided fedora like the plague for no other reason than the fact that the word fedora is a pejorative these days.

> API/ABI or depencency
it figures out for you

what the shit are you doing on your PC that it's a big deal?

okay, name a stable distro release that ships GCC 7.1 etc etc

>pejorative
>implying

tmux changed their configuration options at least 3 times within the last 5 years.
so thats at least 3 times reading up on the changes and fixing your tmux config for you vs never for everyone who uses a stable distro

did you try GNU screen?

I don't use GCC, so I don't really care. but if u ask me the answer is simple: build it.

I'll not install a whole distro just for one package kek

>etc etc
etc etc

>build it.
but there are tons of things like that, including KDE crap that you can't possibly build because it depends on the whole universe of other crap

>Oct 21, 2013

W...what? You can get games on virtually any Linux distro.

>appeal to the crowd
>appeal to the authority

next time you want anyone to switch, bring a real argument.

>authority
What can you appeal to instead of top EXPERTS?

He was still using it after that

plus.google.com/ LinusTorvalds/posts/Wh3qTjMMbLC

doesn't make his point invalid

he was talking about old kernel problems in version 19 ... no longer an issue

>steam officially only supports debian
>gog.com officially only supports ubuntu
>other games officially support mint or ubuntu, with a few supporting fedora and SUSE

"Can get games" and "have games without hacking around" are two different things and most people don't want to use the terminal and config files to install and configure games.

give us someting that other distro don't have without talking about newer package

What kinds of problems have you encountered? Recent boilingsteam.com survey showed that nearly half of gamers use Debian or Ubuntu and its derivatives. 33% of gamers use Arch or its derivatives. I'm not seeing many complaints from them.

As for the "officially" keyword... well, it's just saving the companies' asses. In reality you should get support on any distro.

810 entries...

Are you saying that it's not a significant number? Fuck off then, you're a hopeless case.

newer packageS

nodejs.org/en/download/package-manager/#debian-and-ubuntu-based-linux-distributions

wat