/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP59G-P-gaming-monitor
lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM58-P-ultrawide-monitor
3dmark.com/3dm/20980171?
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FH37jc
dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/skhbgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/mr37jc
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jfQbj
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sj8DHN
pcpartpicker.com/user/Herplooza/saved/KpsqsY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ah, the regular Poozen shill thread.

Brian pls

>7700k, xeons in the OP
>ryzen shill
??????

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP59G-P-gaming-monitor
Is this good? Programming\Casual gaming, also poorfag, so not more than 150$.

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-25UM58-P-ultrawide-monitor
Although this one looks so sexy, especially with some tiling window manager like i3. Also is it worth to pay twice the price of 25" to get 29"?
What do i get?

>buy 1080Ti
>isn't stable above 1949Mhz no matter what
>sure fine whatever
>it usually runs at 1.05v
>undervolt to 1.012v
>still stable
>3C cooler

Why is this allowed?

>isn't stable above 1949Mhz no matter what
Damn you got destroyed by the silicon lottery.

Here I thought my 1080 Ti was bad because it struggled to stay at 2050MHz

There's one guy that believes any intel in the OP is intel shilling and another that believes that people ranking the R5s above i5s is shilling
You'll notice the 2 - 3 last threads went extremely well without any shitposting as both of those were on a vacation

replacing an ivy bridge i5 on a p67. No money/need for a new platform yet. I was considering either a 2700k or a 3770 non k, both can be purchased for around $120-150.
>inb4 tim and locked sku
I wont be doing any serious overclocking and a 3770 can do 4.2 on an oc chipset. Only reason I am even considering the ivy is I don't want a sandy K that has been heavily overvolted it's entire life, and is a degraded turd they are offloading. Thoughts on this Sup Forumsents?

P.S. thanx miners

It'll happily sit at 2000Mhz when it's a bit cooler, but then it warms up and gayPU boost is like "we're getting a bit hot here :^)" and downclocks it. When I try to set max voltage, max power target and shit and try to set 2000Mhz myself, it just crashes eventually.

What score do you get in Unigine Valley 1440p at all highest? I think I get 99.6FPS, but I'll have to re-run it to check.

we really need /gg/, with stricter rules about shitposting, those niggers shitting up threads with people asking for help are really bad

is the 212+ evo still good?

It's only worth the money if you also sell your i5.

I need a good budget CPU cooler that wont jew me out in the long run.
The stock one is starting to get me really bad temps, i cant even play Factorio without the CPU going full Shoah.

Dunno I'm too lazy to install Unigine but here's my Timespy run 3dmark.com/3dm/20980171?

>replacing an ivy bridge i5 on a p67
Why? You mean it's dead?

The only thing holding back a 1080ti is the GPU boost. If you can give it enough thermal room, it will literally reach 2100mhz easily no problem. Overclocking is pointless with GPU boost 3.0. But on the flip side GPU boost hard limits how fast the card can go and above a certain limit, it will refuse to give the card more power.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

>DX12 only
Fak, I don't have Windows 10 installed right now.

Can you run whatever type of Firestrike you have?

Hmm, that is annoying because I like to run my card as close to 90C as I can get it just for noise reasons.

I fucking hate GPU Boost, just let me set a voltage and a clock speed instead of fucking my shit up every 10C temperature increase.

Run super position. I can give you my score to compare with if you want to.

What is a good AM4 motherboard and 16GB of 3000+MHz memory for under $250?
It seems wrong to buy a CPU (R5 1600) for less than its required components.
Ultimately, I was thinking of a budget like this:
>$210 CPU
>$125 Motherboard
>$125 Memory
>$300 GPU
>$090 PSU
>$090 Case
For a total of roughly $1000 when all is said and done, but it seems it is hard to fit those two components into such a budget.
Is my budget too far fetched?
What should I do to balance this out?

For system panel connectors, how do I tell which is + and which is -?

Seriously confused here as only my power led's are actually marked. Wires are also the same colour

I am selling the i5 as soon as I verify the replacement functions well. I won't be switching to DDR4 until ~2019. Other than QHD gaming, the current configuration would be sufficient for my normalfag tasks until it dies.

No, its a 3550 that is +4 multi +bclk to 4ghz but I am in need of some extra threads for some of the newer games. It would be nice for audio and video encoding too I'm sure

Your budget looks very standard, don't know what you're talking about.
Go for gigabyte or AsRock for a good B350 mobo.

Rate my new setup that I just ordered

Intel Core i7-7700K
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8GB
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4
Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 2x8GB, 3000MHz
SilentiumPC Grandis 2 XE1436
EVGA 600B 600W
SilentiumPC Gladius M35 Case

delid/10

I'm scared of doing that user

Actually, I think it has some bigger issues, such as forgetting to include any storage.

you should prepare to do it anyway

I am still having difficulty installing Linux on my system. Ryzen with a Gigabyte motherboard.

This appears to be a known problem, and the solution appears to be "wait." So I guess I'll just pout.

then you shouldn't knowingly buy housefires

Reposting again, user recommended I swap to B350 motherboard and I'll probably drop down to a 650 watt power supply
Does B350 support 3200 mhz DDR4 ram? Support for it is 2600 so I'm not sure
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FH37jc

You shouldn't be, everything will run much cooler :^)

Try using a proper server OS like BSD.

Installed it but I get a DLL error, nevermind.

Then you shouldn't have gone Intel.

question. Anyone have an idea of what Ryzen 3 pricing will be like?

The one with the arrow is the positive, unless you mean the motherboard headers, in which case it'll be listed in the manual.

its scary user its scary!!!!

What 3tb hdd should I buy user?

Just get a B350 board. Gigabyte Gaming 3 is pretty okay apart of some hot VRMs, which can easily be fixed by having decent airflow. They're also up to date with the bios version supporting AGESA 1.0.0.6. For RAM i'd seriously advise you to spend some more and get Flare-X s which are pretty much AMD binned to run 3200Mhz. For me they ran 3200Mhz with a straight out of the box bios just on a XMP profile.

It'll cost you $70-$80 bucks more for mere ram, but you'll be glad you did.

You going for them aesthetics lad? Otherwise I just dont understand why youd spend so much dosh.

Under $200 dollaroonees

This is a mess.

>buying windows
>AIO liquid cooler
>microscopic SSD in a 3k rig
etc

>umaru
go away reddit

IF YOU ARE BUILDING FROM SCRATCH

Just consider getting one of these

dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop

or Alienware Aurora, they are cheaper than building custom because of the miner inflation and still provide customization and mounting for water cooling (or even include water cooling by default).

They offer Ryzen 5 for a good alternative against i5 like said in the OP. Also these don't have a silly window which is nice.

im not from reeeedit!

well no shit Sherlock. The Ryzen 5 1400 is $160, and it slots below that. fuck off Captain Obvious

Deepcool Gammaxx 400

I looked at that. The Ryzen 5 is a 1400, not the value oriented 1600. The Ryzen 7 option is a 1700, which I have no problem with. For the price of that, I can build a better system using a 1600.

If the Ryzen 5 they offered was a 1600 instead of a 1400, I'd recommend it too.

not him but ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer

Has anyone yet tried to get one of the AM4 apus and replace it with a Ryzen? I forgot why I was interested in this, just that it was a bit of a topic a few weeks ago.

No, honestly I don't mean to come off as an ass but I've always had a shitty PC so I got a job that pays okay-ish and busted my ass off to save
I'm going all out but I want to make sure it runs cool and quiet so I'm willing to spend more than I should for something that lasts long
I won't pirate windows, more hassle than it should
Can you please highlight what is wrong with the cooler? I'm not experienced and don't know what AIO stands for
The SSD is small but I didn't think that'd be a problem, ultimately even if the parts are ridiculously spaced out in the huge tower I'm okay with that since they'll transfer less heat to each other

Please give me actual advice, not asking because I'm lazy to do research but I'm really behind on the times right now.

I need some help Sup Forumsents. I need a new power supply because the current one is extremely noisy and gets hot. I could buy a new fan but the power supply is old and I'd rather replace it. I need help with wattage selection. I have no idea who many watts I need.

I have and older i5 4690k CPU, GTX 1060, SSD, HDD, and DVD burner that I rarely use. I also have 120mm 3 fans.

How many watt power supply would I need? Thanks!

Get out before I change it again

haha thanks user
get rekt kid

Download speccy, screenshot it and post it here and I'll tell you. I may even provide you a link for the best one :^)

>'more hassle than it should'
>download ISO from microsoft site
>install
>download das loader
>run
>restart
>done

>AIO
All in one liquid cooler. They are good on paper, but in the real world they are shit because they whine, nonstop because they have to pump water constantly. A standard tower cooler will cool just as well, but be able to run completely silently at idle. I guess if you don't care about noise they look better.

>The SSD is small
I mean capacity, lmao. An SSD isn't going to have any trouble heat wise unless you put it on a GPU backplate or something. 260GB or whatever it is, is pretty small by todays standards if you're using it for gaymen. Most games are like 50GB these days.

I'd drop the 1600x for a regular 1600 or a ryzen 7 desu

Uh guys, my video card (geforce 1070) won't fit in the first pci slot because of my heatsink

am i fucked

>because of my heatsink
Literally how?

Are you running something idiotic like an mATX board and an NH-D15? But yes, you're fucked.

how? can you flip the heatsink around to fit the gpu?

Even a 3550 non-K should be able to "OC" up to it's turbo clock. At least that is the case on one of my systems, I can set the base multiplier to 39 resulting in 3.9Ghz on my 3770 non-k on all cores at 100% load. This is on a Gigabyte Z77 board.

rate my build Sup Forumsentoomen, I'm about to pull the trigger on this
pcpartpicker.com/list/mr37jc

Yeah that would be a good idea. And the CPU cooler I would get rid of and just use the stock Ryzen. If you really want a liquid one, go for the Corsair H100i v2,

I didnt check your case but just make sure its got somewhere to mount the radiatior if youre going for liquid cooling.

Not bad, but a Mini GPU will look pretty gay in a windowed ATX case.

Also get the 1600X because it's more Xtreme, the X makes it faster.

It's 3k in maple syrup tokens though

Standard guts for reference

This is about the graphics card
And they had a sale on the 11th recently bringing the price of all of them down $150, you never buy MSRP on Dell.com obviously

>92mm fans
Disgusting.

Yeah, I'm just getting a 1050ti for now because fucking miners. I'm getting the 1600 for the free cooler, and it'll overclock to the same frequency probably.

It should also be noted that that hyper 212, along with a lot of air coolers, does not support am4 out of the box. You need to order a separate part. Can't recall if it's a bracket or a back plate

Depending on your motherboard you might as well use the lower one.

Think coolermaster is on top of that, just drop them an email and they send it too you as is my understanding. But I mean if you're going for 1600 just keep the stock cooler, it just werks.

Never mind, I'm retarded. Am using an NH-D15 and it blocks the first express slot, though it wouldn't work until I realized it used the second and third slots

Was about to kill myself desu

Ah I see. I could buy a bigger SSD, really I wasn't thinking of using it on anything else aside from mandatory startup/windows installations and an 80gb folder of Skyrim with mods
Microsoft gives free windows 10 or something? Why would they allow the iso download through their site? Very confused but alright, that'll save me $100

Shit, I thought the kraken cooler wouldn't have that much sound based on user reviews...I care about noise and efficiency, this is where my retardation comes in. I've just read a lot aboot AMD Cpus running hotter than intel (not the case now since they're soldered while intel isn't) so I wanted to go all out on heat reduction. What can you recommend as a decent margin with heat/sound management for the rig? I've updated it a bit based on user's recommendation here:
I would like to stick with gold+ certified PSU and 16gb of ram, the CPU cooler is whatever you guys think is best for heat management and sound during stressing

Here's what I have so far:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jfQbj

That's what you get for using meme cpu coolers.

Forgot to quote Mr. Anonymoose here

It's optimized for sound retard, the shitty stock thermaltake fans (or maybe you bought the $16 Noctuas, who knows) are most likely louder than these
At least it's known that the stock AMD coolers run quieter than even Hyper 212 EVO

Here, I changed your case for something that has sound dampening, that along with the cooler and psu change should get you a nice quiet machine, you wont have to add or change any fans either.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sj8DHN

I wouldn't worry about heat management, it's not really a problem in ATX cases unless you're a retard and try and run an SLI setup in a passive case or something. So long as you have some non-shit fans running around 800RPM you're golden.

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jfQbj
Drop the EVGA 1080Ti for either the Gigabyte Aorus, Asus Strix or MSI Gaming, it doesn't really matter which, just whatever is cheaper. All of them are better than the EVGA card in temps of noise and temps. You also really don't need a DVD drive, I can't even think of the last time I used one, maybe 7 years ago.

If you really care about noise you might want a bigger PSU. The bigger the wattage, the easier a time it will have driving your system under load, the slower it's fan will spin (if at all). This is kind of autism tier though tbqh, unless the rest of your system is dead silent it'll probably not make much difference. I have the EVGA T2 1000W powering a 1080Ti Aorus and my PSU still isn't fully passive under load annoyingly.

For the CPU cooler just get the Phanteks PCHwhateverthefuckitscalled, or the NHD15, they are both about as good as eachother but the Phanteks one looks a lot less gay, your choice. Both of them will be inaudible over your GPU regardless of how high you OC your CPU.

Picking between Intel VS AMD based on their heat output is pretty pointless, your GPU will be the dominant heat and noise contributor.

>92mm
>sound optimised
Yeah nah son, unless they are 140mm get out of my face.

>3770 on Z77
you can do x43 all cores if you have MCE and the latest bios, x41 all cores, x43 2 cores if it has no MCE,
Set base multi to auto and enable turbo, speed step and C1E, adjust turbo clock. mine runs x39/x41 with 103.7 bclk for 4044/4252mhz +.010 offset 50% llc or ~1.2v manual. All c states enabled. I plan on shooting for 4.2/4.4 on the 3770 or around 4.5 on a 2700k, if my cooler can handle it.

>Literally how?

Many tower coolers will block the first PCIe slot. That's why there's an 1x slot first on most mainstream boards to act as a spacer. HEDT ones don't generally have the spacer, so tower coolers can be a problem. Though it doesn't really matter so much, as those boards also have multiple 16x-wired slots anyway.

how tough are power supply cables

do i have to worry about twisting them too much

As long as you dont rip them they'll be good to go.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Herplooza/saved/KpsqsY

This is the best PC Build you can ever get prove me wrong

>Pro tip: you can't

Thanks a lot guys. For the case in ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sj8DHN
There won't be a cooling issue for GPU and PSU heat management? The previous one (although massive) had cool air going through the front and hot air blowing out
Though that case would have a lot of sound
Gonna swap out the EVGA for a Gigabyte or MSI, I'll keep the dvd drive just in case since $20 for one is a good deal
Power supply I might just push to 750 and leave it at that, shame that even at 1000 it doesn't make a big difference

Anything I can do for GPU cooling so it doesn't jet engine my room?

I know nothing about how to build a pc, how likely am I to fuck everything up if I build it myself?

>Clorox Bleach Regular, 64 oz

>4gb of ram

>There won't be a cooling issue for GPU and PSU heat management?
Not at all, it's only really a consideration with multi-card setups. I can cover my intakes and roof exhausts with shirts and my temperatures barely go up like 5-10C.

>Though that case would have a lot of sound
>Anything I can do for GPU cooling so it doesn't jet engine my room?
I think you're overestimating how loud it will be. I can't speak for the fans, but any fan you can get to spin down to 500rpm or less should be literally silent unless you put your head right next to it. There's not much reason to have them spin above 800rpm under load, which again is extremely quiet.

A good CPU cooler like an NHD15 or similar, you wont be able to hear over your graphics card. GPU's aren't really loud like they used to be so long as you avoid reference cards, I would have no problem falling asleep at my desk with a benchmark program running.

I think once you put it together you'll be surprised.

Depends how many chromosomes you have.

Nice I don't plan to fuck with it because it's just a render offload system though. Most likely it'll be replaced with a Zen2 chip at some point next year but we'll see.

remember to delid everything when you get it :^)

Cheers again, have a good day m8

Retard here.

Accidentally knocked over a 1920x1080 monitor I've had for a while when setting it up in my new place. It's irrevocably destroyed.

Anyway, in buying a replacement, if I have a costco membership, is that a good place for a new monitor?

LG 24MP60VQ 23.8" Full HD IPS Monitor
Dell SE2717HR 27" Full HD Monitor

are the two I'm looking at

Not sure how much the former costs, but the latter is $170. Are those good deals?

Forgive my retardation. Very new to building a PC because I've been too poor to until now (which makes breaking the monitor really hurt).

You can get an xf240h for $150 at costco. It's 1080p and 144hz but it's a TN screen.

So I built my PC and it just kept on rebooting. I took it to it's most basic parts, and it still keeps rebooting.

I've checked every part and it all seems fine, the only thing that isn't seems to be the CPU fans, which for some reason won't spin together, but if I plug them in separately on the individual three prong they do.

Do I need the CPU fan to be attached with four prongs for it to be properly recognised? Could that be my problem?

CPU fans wouldn't cause your problem (unless your BIOS has some kind of retarded overtemperature protection). You could have roasted and toasted your motherboard by plugging multiple fans into one header, but thats pretty unlikely unless you're running delta fans or some shit.

What's the parts list? Need more info. Your issue could be anything from dead RAM, dead mobo, dead PSU, BIOS issues etc.