What do you use your E-reader for?
What is your favorite E-book format?
How do you organize your E-books?

>2017 E-Reader Reviews
cnet.com/topics/ereaders/best-e-book-readers/
pcmag.com/roundup/294182/the-best-ebook-readers
lifewire.com/the-best-ereaders-4046778
hookedtobooks.com/best-ebook-readers/

I recently purchased an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite. I was planning to read a lot of math and programming books, but I'm beginning to regret that for a number of reasons:
1) Math and programming books are very expensive, even as e-books
2) I don't like the DRM that comes with the Kindle books
3) Though the screen is high resolution, it still feels small for reading some larger textbooks

Regarding the pricetag compalint: I know there are various methods of obtaining the E-books anyways, but the formats/qualities are inconsistent even within book series and the metadata is generally garbled (if present). That being said, I did legitimately obtain some books from Springer and the metadata was absent (authors, title, and ISBN were present in the title, though), so I'm not sure if I can win either way.

I do appreciate how the Humble Book Bundle I bought allowed me to download PDF, EPUB, and MOBI formats for each text, and how some metadata was present and organized.

Other urls found in this thread:

tastedive.com/
gen.lib.rus.ec/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

is this the kindle shilling general?
hello amazon shills

>another general on Sup Forums
Wow, exciting, excellent.

>OP image is a kobo
>OP says he is regretting his Kindle purchase
>"kindle shilling general"
no wonder this thread bothers you - you can't read in the first place

Can Ipad be used as an ereader?

>implying that's not a tactic to catch you with your guard down

No, an E-Reader needs an E-Ink display to be worth any damns.

Yes, but usually when people refer to e-readers they refer to those with e-ink displays.

my mom has a kobo and i hate it because its one of the few versions that doesnt have an onboard SD card you can reflash.

I just wanted to try to use it as a screen for my RPi

What is the best e-reader for pdfs?

probably one with a screen larger than 6", like the koba aura one

yes. it's actually quote good.
ipad looks better than backlit eInk.

ipad sounds like something women use for their - whatever

I use a cheap Chinese tablet

Mi pad 2 from xiaomi
4:3 '''''retina' '' display at 7.8 inches across.

Excellent tbqh.

I need the colour screen for technical manuals and industry magazines etc.

Just bought a blacklisted (most likely stolen) paperwhite for pennies on the dollar on ebay.

What am I in for G?
Is this thing any good?

Colour e-ink when?

if you are not a retard, sure
never mongoloid that is not how it works

is there even an e-readers that has RGB E-ink?
I want to read my mangos in those shit

actually, it's in the works. expect it in 2018

I use iPad 2(2011) as a ebook

You can run a VNC client on it.

Same news every year. There is a color e-ink reader, but it costs about 1000 dollars.

i never said it wasn't expensive, i was responding to the "that's not how it works" comment - we aren't limited to just black and white

There were a model or two from what I remember, but I don't think they hit mass production. Even if, you probably couldn't afford one.

Have fun reading outside, or for more than 2 hours.

I literally just picked one of these up this week used for $15 off Craigslist. Was filthy and needed to be cleaned and didn't come with an sd card, but I wanted a cheap e-ink ereader that wasn't a chinkshit tablet. I didn't really do much research before hand, but so far I'm not regretting it. Only complaint is it's a tad clunky. Can finally work my way through all the ebooks I've gathered over the years.

Absolutely worthless for academics. Just fine for leisure reading.

Aluratek Libre Ebook Reader Pro

no shit you dumb cunt did you find that by yourself or daddy pushed that into your retarded ass faggot bitch niggah butt?

>tfw ereader but nothing to read

I'm too pleb for /lit/, I want suggestions

tell me your favorite books and i will try no to laugh and recommend something

Mein Kampf

On the Road
Flow My Tears the Policeman Said
Neuromancer

Try Timeline by michael crichton. I just finished it and enjoyed it. Thriller that doesn't make you think. He's the same guy who wrote Jurassic Park

eh, no too bad try any of these:
Genocidal Organ, Harmony - Project Itoh
Junky - Burroughs
Altered Carbon - Morgan
Roadside Picnic - Strugatsky
The Savage Detectives - Bolaño

CLRS introduction to algorithms

QUESTION.
can i just convert pdfs and epubs i have into a format a kindle or mobo or whatever accepts ?
i want to pirate the books
fuck actually buying them

Is this what /pmp/ turned into?

root/jailbreak your kindle
run KUAL
use k2pdfopt
Read (Profit)??

Can I get anything better for this price? I want something cheap with good battery life to read programming textbooks on.

kobo you retard, and those take epubs directly.

is there anything that i should worry about from rooting a kindle?
i want to give these things a try so i'll probably start with a kindle

TRUE
With a free piece of software called Calibre, this is entirely possible, although I recommend not converting PDFs, because they will look like ass, and not converting them doesn't fix that, at least on the Kindle. A jailbreak is not required, and as long as you don't mind the lockscreen, it isn't necessary. It adds almost nothing. There's no exploit to get around the $20 fee to remove ads from the lockscreen, and the benefits you gain from jailbreaking are as follows:
>Custom lock screen
>Different reader (???)
>Gaymes
>Stupid Linux shit

>gaymes
>licuck.
I just want to read damn books.
If it doesn't let me use more formats then why bother.

Not sure if the different reader lets you read more formats, but honestly PDFs don't look any better on it. Also, you really should just use Calibre to convert your epubs to .azw3 or .mobi before you sync to the Kindle. If you're a stickler for storage space, you can always delete the .epub files after.
Honestly, the most utility you're getting out of a jailbreak is a custom lock screen.
Also, if you must, get a kindle, but desu the Kobo is a better reader.
>More formats supported (Though you'll need Calibre for any .azw3 files you download)
>PDFs look slightly less trash (But still not great- don't expect to read textbooks or detailed manga on it)
>Generally lower price
>Only modding you need is hardware modding to upgrade your storage if need be
>Displays cover of the book you're reading as lockscreen if you wish ((((without)))) doing bullshit jailbreaking
>Doesn't give money to a megacorp
Just sayin

kobo are lower price?
which do you recommend getting as a starting point?

They tend to come out cheaper than their Amazon equivalents. I actually bought a Kindle because a holiday sale made it the same price as a Kobo and I didn't know better.
I'd go with the Glo HD just so the screen will be lit

messing up and bricking it
but there's a bunch of debricking methods
along with a live CD

Got a tolino. It's pretty good and it's comfy to read before sleeping.

fuck, i can't find one that ships to canada,
and for some reason kobo seems to only sell auras now

Try ebay maybe?

I see comments very often that say you shouldn't view PDFs on e-readers. Why is that? Isn't PDF one of the more common formats to distribute books and other writings in?

>bought a fire HD8
>was never made aware of how disastrous fireOS is
This shit triggers my autism so bad. Ads on the home screen and lockscreen, no customization, built in reader app doesn't read PDFs and on top of that the Amazon app store is missing a few """incompatible""" apps from Google play. At least I can copy my epubs over with no trouble.

why are you blaming prices of ebooks on a device?

It depends on the PDF. The screens on e-ink devices don't have good refresh rates and so smartphone-like scrolling through a PDF is possible but painful.
PDFs that are readable when compressed to fit the screen of the device are perfectly fine. It's just textbook pdfs where you actually need to zoom in that are the problem.
I read PDFs on my kobo all the time, but they're PDFs of books that were scanned from smaller-page sized books.

read comics

epub or mobi?

epub every day, senpai. Its smaller and looks closer to what the author wanted.

Yes, but I only prefer it for magazines, comics and PDFs. Reading actual books on any LCD display gives me heavy eye strain and headaches after while.

Rooted Nook Simple Touch

that must be so slow

You can install native (no chroot or vnc!) debian on the Kobo Mini / Glo.

So, if I want to pucharse a ~10" reader, which:
-can display pdf files (i've heard that most of readers work like a shit when it comes to pdf support)
-supports all formats, including both pirated and pucharsed books
-can be used to read manga
-won't ruin me
The only reasonable choice for me is Prometheus (2)?

tastedive.com/

#bookz or #ebooks on undernet and irchighway respectively

E-readers aren't a good choice for textbooks. Textbooks tend to be pdfs which e-readers are slow at, and have a lot of images or other areas needing specific layouts. If you need to zoom a PDF it's slow and laggy. Use a chink tablet instead.

Epub. Also calibre can convert between the two in seconds

Nice, but can it do anything? What kind of CPUs do these things usually have?

I don't want a tablet, I've used iPad and a Note something from Samsung and both were making my eyes bleed after reading like half a book.

Hi there, you're an idiot.

1) buy a kobo
2) use koreader
3) download anything you want from libgen

Personal reasons for not downloading illegitimate copies of e-books aside:
>"but the formats/qualities are inconsistent even within book series and the metadata is generally garbled (if present)."

Use calibre and get books from
Formats can be converted between easily.
Quality usually varies only for very old and/or unpopular books.
Metadata is easily loaded and replaced using calibre

I used to use a nook simple touch with glowlight. Worked great, good battery life, expandable storage, physical controls.
I damaged the PCB when I tried to add a qi charger to it. I was careless and had way too hot of an iron.

Now I own a Kobo aura one. Light is good, like the light's warmth changing, comfortable to hold, lightweight.
I wish the battery lasted a bit longer, only get ~10-15 hours or so.
I prefer the old style home screen, luckily it's easy to downgrade and I don't use the Kobo store.

Based on your experience what do you guys recommend someone new to all of this,
I'm looking for it to be cheap and the battery to atleast last a day or two.
I will never be using wifi so if doesn't have it better.
and that i would be using the books i put in through laptop so the store or whatever shouldn't matter.
I guess something that just reads the stuff i have.
and yeah i already know pdfs are bad for it, i already use epubs anyways

>2010+7.5
>still no cheap A4 ereader

Dead meme

kobo touch runs for very cheap

How is Kobo aura one? Big enough for manga? PDFs?

why do you want and ereader fucking mongoloid if you are not even capable of reading a Sup Forums thread fucking inbreed imbecile.

If your budget allows, get something with a front light, it's really nice for dim/dark reading.
Used Kobo aura, nook glowlight, or Paperwhite should be under $50

Too small for manga. E-readers are shit for PDFs. See

I have a Kobo Aura and I really like it. I typically only use it for the Pocket integration because it's really convenient to hit the pocket button in Firefox or my phone on really long articles and get back to reading them at another time. Thanks to though I know where to get actual books now too.

i guess i'll choose between the three you mentioned.
they all seem around the

I'm Never used a Paperwhite, but I've owned a simple touch w/ glowlight (prior version) and was happy with it. Now I own an aura one and I'll l happy with it, not sure how the aura stacks up against the aura one though.

If you want pocket integration see

thank you,
I will be using it to specifically read the books,
I wont be reading articles on it. not gonna use the wifi at all.

>Get Moon+ Reader
>Get to set font to Monofonto and adjust text color
>Pretend to be reading on a Fallout terminal
>Easy on the eyes in bed
Kindle is tango down confirmed 4lyfe, desu.
Getting books through torrents is unreliable, and Gutenberg's inventory is sparse. So far, I've gotten gen.lib.rus.ec/ from this thread, which looks good. Are there any other places you guys get ebooks?
I guess Fagazon won't sell epubs or mobis for the same reason nobody sells movies as mp4s or mkvs, so we're driven to wanton piracy for DRMless media baka senpai.

#bookz and bookzz

I really want a aura h2o so I can read in the bathy but I can't justify the price.

Moon Reader is non free software user. Install FBReader.

>still using my Nook Simple Touch I got in 2012 for £28
>it still works perfectly
>sideload all my books

Why did nook fail? I love this thing, only downside is no backlight and no nook store here in the UK anymore

Thank you, user -- I've just installed and comfy'd it up. A bit less intuitive UI design than Moon+ Reader, can't switch between books as quickly, and page turning animations are broken (stuttery). But there's no ad version/free version stuff, and, if it's open, I'm onboard because I'm a FOSSfag, verily. u>u

>bookzz.org
Down
>IRC
But I'm under 30...

nigger is not that hard to use irc

>Too many connections from your host
>Your host is trying to (re)connect too fast -- throttled
I-is there a Discord...?

This isn't temple os general my man

(you)

>discord
i was going to help you but fuck your nigger ass

>is not that hard to use irc.
After a few
>all connections occupied
I just got pic related.

I must be quite nigger desu.

Sony has a new large one out now. It's quite nice but it's also $800.

Discord is for millennials who can't use a computer.

keep kindle for native formats, and get a cheap tablet for pdfs

And it runs their shitty proprietary software with no hope of replacing it

I'll have you know I use Xubuntu, and I removed all the swap space from the partition whem I installed it.