What's a good home router?

I need a new router, can someone point me to a good resource for choosing one? I've looked around a little and the archer c7 seems pretty decent for the price. One with built in DNS pointing features would be nice as well. I haven't bought a router since wrt54g was the one to buy.

Other urls found in this thread:

linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT1900ACS/
newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=9sia29j2yx5821&cm_re=ubiquiti_router-_-0xk-000w-00080-_-product&recaptcha=pass
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-0005-000V6
newegg.com/products/N82E16833664026
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dedicated pfsense box with seperate wifi access points.

pic related OP

How does that compare price-wise?

Routers are all the same these days. any decent router with dd-wrt or tomato support will do in most cases.

compared to your $400 router - very well

get that low res pic out of here.

That router is Satan's Crown.

This one is the Spaceship.

I just uploaded that pic because it's hilarious looking. Was looking to spend 100-200 or thereabouts.

and this one is the Temple of Nod.

I think this last one is the one I'd pick, simply because I like C&C games a lot.

[spoiler]New construction options available[/spoiler]

What kind of connection do you have?

100Mb

I was looking at something like this: linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT1900ACS/

just because I could put openwrt or whatever on it. Is that a bad idea?

Ubiquiti router + AP PRO

So something like newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=9sia29j2yx5821&cm_re=ubiquiti_router-_-0xk-000w-00080-_-product&recaptcha=pass

and

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-0005-000V6 ?

Yeah but instead of the AP lite I use this

newegg.com/products/N82E16833664026

See, I'm doing research for my landlord / roommate who would be paying for it. If it were my money, I probably would just do that, but since it's his equipment, probably makes more sense for me to just get a openwrt capable linksys. If I move out, I could just reflash it back to linsys's software and he'd be able to use it without much of a problem.

Still, it would be fun to mess around with higher grade equipment.

I have an Asus rt-3100 from Walmart clearance $69. Have my old free ac68u as a media bridge. Getting 600/900 mbps on my fiber connection. Don't think pfsense would be much cheaper than that.

>I haven't bought a router since wrt54g was the one to buy.
it still is

Pretty good I guess although I prefer Mikrotik for routing and Ubiquiti for wireless

lol only if your internet is so shitty that the wrt54g can keep up. It only does 30mb/s wan to lan

If you have a shit connection, yeah

Get an ~$200 ASS-US with AC and at the most two antennas. Place it up the wall/roof in the middle of your house and you're good to go

IIRC the C7 doesn't even do QOS just IP based bandwidth throttling.