>even manages to piss off the lawyer questioning him

>>Mr. Gates, you know
>>perfectly well that you and lots of other people
>>within Microsoft describe Java, J-a-v-a, without
>>talking about runtimes or EJBs or server middleware,
>>but Java, J-a-v-a, as a competitive threat. You know
>>that, don't you?

Other urls found in this thread:

techdirt.com/articles/20131002/17443624734/lavabit-tried-giving-feds-its-ssl-key-11-pages-4-point-type-feds-complained-that-it-was-illegible.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=fI_xuFA18m4
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1500739683671.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=WxOp5mBY9IY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

People keep bringing up this video as some kind of proof that Bill Gates is a secret sperglord or something. Its a fucking deposition, he's being questioned by the enemy. This is a tactic to frustrate the opponents council.

>rocking on the chair
>not autistic

bill gates has always been, secretly, /our /guy. we just don't like to admit it publicly because to do so is admitting that publicly that we are assholes like gats.

DId you even watch the whole thing? He's being intentionally obtuse. The entire thing is an act.

It's called being nervous as shit because you're the CEO and your company is getting big dicked by the feds, how can you not know that feel?

Rocking on the chair is an act?
He doesn't look nervous.

>how can you not know that feel?
Because I'm not the CEO of a company being dicked by the feds for being a monopoly

>secret sperglord

This might be the biggest oxymoron you retards have ever come up with.

his parents were lawyers
he was prepared

I can't even imagine the kind of prep he had for this deposition. It's kind of awesome.

clearly acting like a lawyer.

You learn to hide it when you're a CEO

Maybe you should try it sometime

My goal in life is to be in a situation where I'm a CEO so powerful that the Feds have to dick me personally.

it's beautiful. i love it when i see things like this.

>yfw some lawyer working for your company comes and asks you to take a 160 page document, convert it to comic sans, convert it to a pdf, screenshot the pdf and turn it into a jpg, and then print the jpg horizontally so it takes like 3 pages of A4 paper just to go through a single page, and then manually number the pages with a convoluted numbering scheme (like, page 1 of the actual document is broken into 3 parts, so you have 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, then 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, and then it changes to reverse numbering ie 3-21 when it's actually 21-3 every time a new section comes up), and then jumble the pages up and "lose" three or four of them

just do what everyone else does and pay the politicians to remove (or institute) regulations that hinder your business.

reminded me of lavabit printing out their encryption key to give to the Feds.
techdirt.com/articles/20131002/17443624734/lavabit-tried-giving-feds-its-ssl-key-11-pages-4-point-type-feds-complained-that-it-was-illegible.shtml

I love how 31 minutes in the guy's voice changes as he realizes he's being completely out-gunned in his ability to ask vague but legally binding questions by Gates' inexhaustible ability to quibble over not just jargon, but marketing terms and just various verbs in general.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you are referring to as Java, is in fact the Java Runtime Environment, or as I have taken to calling it, Java the language plus libraries, plus a little kinda virtual machine sorta.

Bill Gates is GOD

C-can you expand on the definition of "council"?

>Athens running Linux
This is most of Sup Forums's wet dream.

>Lawyer: Haven't you seen stamps like that on every single one of the documents that you've been shown during this deposition?

>BG: Can you get me all the exhibits?

>Lawyer: You see this stamp...

>BG: Is that a stamp? To me that's not a stamp.

>Lawyer: ...Let me go back to the email...

Oh god I love Gates now.

Can someone explain to me what the fuck is a deposition?

>In the law of the United States, a deposition is the out-of-court oral testimony of a witness that is reduced to writing for later use in court or for discovery purposes. It is commonly used in litigation in the United States and Canada, where it is called examination for discovery, and is almost always conducted outside of court by the lawyers themselves (that is, the judge is not present to supervise the examination). In other countries, testimony is usually preserved for future use by way of live testimony in the courtroom, or by way of written affidavit.

In the law of the United States, a deposition is the out-of-court oral testimony of a witness that is reduced to writing for later use in court or for discovery purposes. It is commonly used in litigation in the United States and Canada, where it is called examination for discovery, and is almost always conducted outside of court by the lawyers themselves (that is, the judge is not present to supervise the examination).

Depositions are a part of the discovery process in which litigants gather information in preparation for trial.

What were the stakes here? What would have happened if he fucked up and said incriminating stuff?

Jesus fucking christ, bill gates is very good at avoiding tricky shit, no wonder why microsoft got they power on the 90s

He drinks Pepsi so he's /myguy/ as far as I'm concerned.

The fed would have fucked them in the ass so hard they wouldn't dare put the spyware bullshit they have in Windows 10 today.

he's very good at understanding the intention behind the questions that's been asked. i mean, he DID develop a software monopoly, so he's clearly fairly smart.

>dat stretch at 13:13
kek

>could the court spare a fuck? I seem to be fresh out.

>not doing exactly what the 30 lawyers you retain tell you to do

I wish I get successful enough to be deposed for antitrust violations. That seems like a neat experience.

At that point you don't even really need a chair or desk, you sit on your massive balls and balance your notes on your giant throbbing erection.

Around 14:20:
>Did you receive this email on or about February 13, 1998?
I don't know.
>Do you have any reason to doubt that you received a copy of this email?
No.

I respect both Gates' stonewalling and the lawyer's determination to draw blood from a stone.

hahah

what you dont understand is that Bill Gates isnt being obstructive for no reason.
the lawyer wants him to admit that java is a competitive threat to microsoft.
You could be lenient and say "oh yeah, i know what you mean. Java as in: in general."
But when a lawyer is attacking you, you cant just let this go. It's important to clarify that these different components actually are different.
The lawyer is trying to catch him in some idiotic language mixup and make some conversation where Bill Gates used 'java' colloquially as the language runtime as proof that Bill Gates thinks "java" as a whole is a competitive threat.
Well you cant just let that kind of shit fly. There *is* a difference and if the lawyer wants to prove that Bill Gates thinks java as a whole is regarded as a compettitive threat by Microsoft then he cant very well expect Bill Gates to be dumb enough to admit that he colloquially uses the term the wrong way and "kinda" thinks java as a whole is a threat.

Funny how Google has never been involved in one of those.

He throws some poor motherfucker under the bus around 51:00 in a pretty brutal way.

he probably means counsel

He's goddamn right. You can't just say "java". Java could mean many different things in different contexts. I don't see any evidence of "autism" or sperging out here.
Plus, the nature of the deposition requires him to be so damn particular.

WOW I love this, true alpha male display. Complete control of your mental faculties. Not a hint of being worried whatsoever about the enemy.
LOVE IT.

>>autisms out over the definition of the word "java" for 20 minutes
>>even manages to piss off the lawyer questioning him

in this context it's because he's being asked vague legally binding questions which may lead to him incriminating himself if he doesn't answer in overly explicit terms which is why he frequently mentions that it could be the case that he used the shorthand term java to refer to his competition but that in those contexts he would have been using it in company who understood whether he meant the language, the runtime, awt, jwc, etc, and that he can't recall such a case although it would be possible, which is why he would need to see an example of such a case so he could clarify the context, this may make gates autistic but in this context his actions are justified in a legal setting and we'd need to see further examples within context to answer that

Listen to the counsel of your council of counsels.

>Is Bill Gates /our guy/?

he would be if his incessant requirement to snuff out competition didn't also mean that gnu/linux was in the firing line

And what exactly do you mean, when you refer to counsel?

Gates is stonecold. You don't get to rip off the biggest companies in the world like ibm and Xerox by being a pussy

kek. yeah, that's the reason linux hasn't dominated the desktop

>Oh, I know how to piss off anti Windows users on Sup Forums!
>I'll push B. Gates as our Sup Forumsuy!
>Now this gonna be gud bait!
Fuck off to Sup Forums you imbecile

>Do you recall seeing this email?
No
>Do you doubt that you received this email?
No.

What did he mean by this?

google just got hit by a massive 2.7bn fine in the eu

You can prove someone got an email but you can't prove that they know they got it or saw it.

Anyone can do quick rundown on this antitrust case?

don't worry about all the leaked documents and court discoveries that show microsoft were going after gnu/linux at microsoft's height with their well known and documented anticompetitive practices

next you'll be telling me that intel offering rebates to oems had nothing to do with shoving amd out of the market

In Part 5, the lawyer has Gates dead to rights at 7:35. Fascinating to watch him get out of it.

Windows was shipping with a built in browser, while Netscape had a paid third party browser people quickly stopped buying. So that's how it got started.
Basically the deposition tried to prove that Gates thought Netscape was a legitimate threat so they could imply shipping with the browser was to stamp out competition

basically before windows you got the kernel (dos) and users would generally build their own operating system themselves through acquiring software like browsers, word editors, spreadsheet tools, media players, etc, usually through purchase on a disk as downloading something like a browser would have been unfeasible for a lot of people

when windows came along the argument was made that microsoft was abusing their marketshare through offering products like internet explorer for free on windows, which effectively removed any incentive for users to go out to buy netscape/opera

it seems a bit silly in retrospect and it actually did a bit of good as browsers are now generally free, but we know microsoft engaged in these anticompetitive practices to accomplish what they did

>lounging on BLUE screens

Thanks.

that was for not paying enough shekels

different subject

NSA has to buy their data somewhere, right?

>you will never be as smart as Bill Gates

it's great that we live in a world where we don't have neural scans that can definitively determine our truth-telling state. bill looks guilty as fuck, but only his words hold any weight.

I think he was just using the term 'java' for simplicity

Just got to this part

>to me thats like a prisoners uniform

they still got slapped with antitrust

in fact bill gates' deposition is commonly used as an example of how not to be deposed

It's not just Jargon, you fucking retarded.

This is a deposition and terms actually matter. The question was stupid and outright baffling to Gates which is why he had to make the clear distinction between Java and what would be considered a competitor. The lawyer is asking dumb questions that don't make sense yet may incriminate Gates if he answers them wrong.

i-is this true law fags? He didn't do well in my opinion either, but I'm ignorant on anti-trust stuff. He would not play well to a jury at least, he twists meaning and definitions more than the fucking lawyer here.

>Back in 2004, the European Commission fined Microsoft a record €497m under an antitrust ruling. The Commission concluded that with a near-monopoly in the operating system market, Microsoft's bundling of Windows Media Player within Windows was anti-competitive. Microsoft was forced to unbundle the software and offer European consumers and manufacturers a version of Windows without it.

>Most of winfags here don't use N version

>/ourguy/
>No respect for FOSS

geee thx eu

They're just getting some of that licence money back.

Wrong, that was apple. Google is getting skinned over monopoly position abuse where they use their search engine position to push other products like price comparison tools.

Picrelated is the commissioner responsible for most of these.

Great description. I'm only 11 min in, but it's very clear that this is what's happening.

The issue was Explorer was integrated with the entire system. You could search for files from your browser and such. You couldn't just install Netscape and have the same OS functionality as with Explorer. Computer Chronicles has a nice video showing the built in functionality Explorer provided.
MS maintained its monopoly power by anticompetitive means and attempted to monopolize the Web browser market,'' as well as ''unlawfully tying its Web browser to its operating system'' was the complaint. It's a bit more complicated than "hurr durr MS has 90% market share and they had their own browser, therefore it's a monopoly."

>you will never be as rich as bill gates

But I completely understand that's what's happening, because it's painfully obvious from the first question he asks. Muh antitrusts muh play nices.
Rand was fucking right.

>b-but compatibility! say the freetards
The only time we ever got close to universal compatibility was when Gates was swinging his dick around trying to set unified standards through sheer sale volume and utility, whether he was trying to accomplish that by breaking pre-existing partial compatibilities or not.

The point

My post

Your head

Your English ability

Your ability to pretend not to be autistic
>RRRREEEEEE why doesn't anyone know what a JRE is
I do, you're just fucking autistic and didn't read well, or assumed retarded shit.

>Is Bill Gates /our guy/?
He's the one that mass produced the winfag population .

he was like "it's MY MONEY son of a bitch, fuck the law and fuck the entire world, I will never be bankrupt after I became the richest motherfucker in the world because some fucked up law"

No c# is far worse. C++ for retards and not as Portable as java

Sees famous billionaire be a cunt to a lawyer.
feels some weird bro connection to him.
"he's one of us...!"
makes thread on Sup Forums
I come in.
Cringe.
Leave this comment.

mfw you think bill gates gives a fuck about you lmao.

daily reminder that Bill Gates is smarter than Linus and Stallman combined

>He's the one that mass produced the winfag population
coming from a kid who doesn't realize Linux came out in the late 90'. if it weren't for bill gates they'd all be macfags and Hillary would be president

I love Bill.

youtube.com/watch?v=fI_xuFA18m4

>you will never be as sexy as Bill Gates

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1500739683671.webm

What's a "sperglord" exactly?

Isn't this contempt of court when you're being as obtuse as possible and you're not even trying to hide it?

what you're referring to as email is actually electronic mail, or as I've recently taken to calling it, electronically-delivered and addressed letters.

You should see the video where Apple announces Internet explorer on Mac and the office suite. He made Steve jobs eat shit that day.

Mac fags btfo.

youtube.com/watch?v=WxOp5mBY9IY

Stone cold killer.

The feds DID the Windows 10 spyware, dummy

>nut

Wasn't word on mac long before that?