Anyone else notice that mobile computers (laptops, phones, tablets etc...

Anyone else notice that mobile computers (laptops, phones, tablets etc.) have only gotten slightly better in terms of performance in the past 4-5 years? It seems as though the industry feels no real need to innovate, the only way they try and get people to upgrade is by A: Making shit break easily/ cheap components/ anti consumer acts like no replacable battery. B: Release a shiny new coat of paint for existing technology or increase the resolution of the facebook camera or something

Take phones for example, if you take a 4 year old flagship android with a custom rom and compare it to a modern one, the performance is virtually identicle, even for those jewey games.

On the other hand, if you take a look at an industry that relies solely on performance to make sales(such as the GPU industry) there is relatively consistant and significant improvements.

What do you think Sup Forums, is technological progress stagnant? why or why not?

compare an iphone 5s to an iphone 7

htc one vs u11
the difference should be noticeable but i see where you are going with this
but i mean its like the same with computers and stuff isn't it?
my i7 3630qm from 2012 or so is still holding up really well

apple intentionally makes their old phones slower through updates
those phones have virtually identical speeds for everyday tasks. The thing about CPU's is until recently they haven't had any compition. Now AMD is finally getting their shit together.

leave it to Apple to drum up something "fresh" come late this year

Apple SOCs are starting to become as fast as Intel's ULV CPUs

I have an iPhone 6 right now, and under iOS 10.3.2 with their new filesystem update, I can't say that's very true. Shit runs fast as hell.

The only phones I've had slow downs on with Apple are the iPhone 4 and 5, which if you planned on using for a while longer, you should just jailbreak and not upgrade. (You're not running Nougat on a Galaxy S2, are you?)

I didn't mean the S models (4S, 5S), by the way, AFAIK they still run alright, except maybe for the 4. I mean the base, normal versions.

>laptops
No

>phones, tablets
Yes

Have that feeling with phones for last 3 years or so but for computers it's like there was no real development for at least 6 years.

>
>apple intentionally makes their old phones slower through updates
Microsoft gets to do the same thing to our computers now with Windows 10. MS will receive ~$50 when you purchase a new computer because the OEM pays for a Windows license, added to your purchase price.

> Anyone else notice that mobile computers (laptops, phones, tablets etc.) have only gotten slightly better in terms of performance in the past 4-5 years?
AMD haven't got there yet. It was the same for the desktop PC market just until recently.

Oh yeah, and about those ARM devices. The performance is astounding nowadays. iPad 3 was out in 2012; what was the most demanding game back then? Vice CIty. Now it's Titan Quest and XCOM.
> the performance is virtually identicle
In 2D. Good thing it is.
> even for those jewey games.
Only for casual three-in-a-row.

why would you want to play a 3d game on an ipad? it doesn't even have proper controls. also, 99 percent of the "games" are just pay to win.

penis

What do you need better phones for? Even low end models have plenty CPU and RAM so that neither will bottleneck you. My xiaomeme note4x costs €100 and it has a great screen and two days battery life. I can play Minecraft on it, what are you guys using these power hungry CPUs for?

Huawei makes quality products for chinkphones I say. A bit pricey tho.

Does the same apply to those honor phones. They are also from huawei right?

where is the phone you can read in direct sunlight?

So I can brag about having a Snapdragon 820 and 135k on AnTuTu.

Honor is Huawei yeah, and they're pretty great. If you want to go full budget and still have decent phone buy a Xiaomi. Or oppo if you care about selfies a lot

I love the shit out of my Nexus 6P and it has the most durable glass I've ever seen on a phone. The 1440p screen is fucking nifty too. But it's not objectively super fast compared to, say, a 2014 flagship. Phone development is slow.

Why is there no phone with a giant battery, a great camera but otherwise budget specs? Only thing comes to mind is the zenfone 3 zoom but it's not even sold in Europe. And it's Asus

Sounds like you want a camera.

I want a phone with a good camera.

Imagine you have a Nexus 5X, but with less CPU and more battery. Or a galaxy S6, but with less CPU, ram, memory and whatever.

imagine you have company that designs and manufactures phones
you don't make a phone that 1 Anonymous wants, you make a phone that 100,000,000 normies want

lol wut

this was the most advanced phone 5 years ago

This.
1gb ram, slow as fuck, 720p.
I still have an S3 laying around and it in no way compares to my one plus one from 2014, only 2 years later.

Too bad oneplus went downhill though. The oneplus one was a great phone quite similar to the Nexus 4. Now they make a 500$ phone with a 2 hour battery life

>1gb ram, 720p
literally all you need

>1gb ram
- posted from my Galaxy S3

No it's not.

yea 4 or 5 years is a stretch.

but my 3 year old nexus 5 feels as fast as anything modern. no motivation whatsoever to upgrade it