/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/store/product/electronic-2015-brand-3-5mm-Original-Genuine-TAKSTAR-HI2050-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Headphones-Music-Headset-studio/526268_32279127183.html
youtube.com/watch?v=xjbwkUA2WIs
asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moclobemide
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novartis#Sandoz
youtube.com/watch?v=J_CmRvUCd1k&feature=youtu.be
alibaba.com/product-detail/takstar-HI-2050_115356632.html
linustechtips.com/main/topic/296402-a-look-at-the-audio-technica-ad1000x-and-ad2000x/
weibo.com/p/1001603782683401547162?from=page_100505_profile&wvr=6&mod=wenzhangmod
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thread claimed by Beyerdynamic

How do the K612 and K7XX compare?
The K7XX is $252+shipping but the K612 is only $155

So aside from amazon, where do people buy headphones from?

>unironically buying or using AKGs in 2017

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Reminder that there is zero reason to buy a DT990 when the far superior aliexpress.com/store/product/electronic-2015-brand-3-5mm-Original-Genuine-TAKSTAR-HI2050-Hi-Fi-Stereo-Headphones-Music-Headset-studio/526268_32279127183.html exists for $41.

Doing God's work by triggering the rabid HD 600 owners

Yeah and ponies have baby making hips.

Not sure if baleef

It seems really questionable to me for a $45 set of headphones to be even remotely comparable, let alone "far superior" to a $240 pair of headphones.

youtube.com/watch?v=xjbwkUA2WIs Zeos loves the HI2050/HF2010, says he'd prefer them to Q701.

asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
>No correlation between headphone frequency response and retail price
Also, see: They're really great for the price, whereas DT990 are bad headphones for any price. I wouldn't spend $10 on DT990.

People who think hd600 is good haven't owned other headphones :^)

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Dumb fat shill pedophile prefers something? Holy shit I have to buy THEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE now

B E A T S

>61514716
BEATS

I forget where I got these but they're great since you plug a male to male aux cable into them, instead of them having their own cable coming out, so they can pretty much last forever if you fix it when the bands snap or the headphone jack comes loose inside etc. Had to saw off some of the plastic for there to be room to plug in USB and had to find an old miniUSB cable but that worked for a while once before my new aux cables arrived. Probably going to use these for many more years. The model is Polaroid something

LOL

This paper is basically telling me the headphones don't matter, get whatever, use software equalization.

So the best headphones are basically just the comfiest and most sturdily built ones.

This is a very interesting picture

what is the white gooey stuff

Hot glue. Part of the standard tinkerer arsenal.

Nice. I used an ethernet cable for mine.

Crazy ex broke into my place and broke most of my shit. M50X, AD900X, PSB 300's, and Paradigm Titan V3's (inb4 lawsuit, already in progress). I liked the sound quality on the M50X and the AD900X, but I'm looking for some input on replacement(s). Money isn't necessarily an issue. I have a bit older Denon (DRA-375RD) stereo receiver that somehow survived her you-caught-me-cheating tantrum, and I'm at least used to the quality of sound from the aforementioned equipment, and was looking for some "dont buy 'x', advice. Apologies if the speaker part isn't relevant in an HPG thread, but I'm considering some Monitor Audio Bronze 2's for speakers. Any other input for that price range (~$550 USD) would be awesome.

Otherwise, I'm looking for some input for headphones around the level of the M50X and the AD900X. What's available in that price range for either or both designs? I prefer having at least one pair of open and closed headphones for different listening styles. I am not partial to Audio Technica, but I haven't found anything I like the fit/sig/price as much yet. Any recommendations? :)

>crazy ex broke your shit
find that bitch and rape her.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moclobemide
>Used to treat depression and social anxiety.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novartis#Sandoz
>The psychedelic effects of lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) were discovered at the Sandoz laboratories in 1943 by Arthur Stoll and Albert Hofmann.

I am financially, anyways, but chances are it won't go anywhere. Can't make money off an empty mine :(

Dt770, hm5, vmoda m100, and sony mdr 7506 are all good closed backs at around that price range

For speakers, LSR305's are highly recommended by people here. For closed since you had M50X's before, Custom Studio.
>AD900X
DT880 is a pretty neat step up or K712.

Shit, I forgot to mention I have a pair of V6's, so I think 7506's might be a bit redundant. I'll check out all of the others, thank you for the recommendations.

When then physically rape her.

>broke most of my shit
So only audio stuff? Sounds pretty specific

>pony fucking faggot with a CRT
>$5 headphones covered in jizz
what shithole are you from? poland maybe?

Open headphones will almost always be better than closed headphones at similar prices, so try to get open headphones if you can

Avoid DT770. They're shit. Beyerdynamic Custom Studio are much better.

atx-m50x vs atx-m40x, which is better, and why?

M40x is better because they are more accurate.

Many people like them and recommend them, myself included.

Many people like and recommend Justin Bieber, too.

That is their opinion. Preferences in headphones are an opinion too, if you don't like how the 770's sound, that's your opinion. Our friend here might not be sensitive to treble and therefore have a different opinion of them.

What's the word on the Takstar Pro 82? Have people actually heard them yet? Should I get them over the CB-1s?

CRTs have great response time and colors

I've been looking into the active speaker market, what would I need in addition to a receiver to make sure I'm using them correctly?

Damn, the force wills it.

Nope. She broke my PC (Fractal Define R5/Mobo/GTX 980 Ti FTW/2x1TB SSD), 3 monitors (2 Dell 27" Ultrasharps, and an Asus PA279Q), Corsair K70 RGB, an OG Steelseries Sensei and a little trooper MX518 I've had for about 10 yrs, a custom desk I built and CNC'd myself...the list goes on for a while. That's just the stuff in the immediate vicinity of the audio stuff, the Paradigm's were out in the LR with the TV, a 65" Q7F. Shitty little wal-mart hammer right through the middle of it.

My trusty little Velodyne 12" Sub I bought from a pawn shop several years ago went unharmed. Just a rage trip, luckily overlooking random stuff. :(

I dunno, I've never been able to find a pair of open headphones that has as deep and fast bass accuracy as opens, but I've never found closed headphones with imaging and wide and open mids/highs. I love opens for reasons I'd never love closed for, but I like to have one of each if I can.

I'll look into both. Thank you! I think my local Guitar Center has both. I'm not very familiar with the Beyerdynamic's, but I've seen it talked about that the 80-ohm stuff should be avoided, in favor of the higher impedance stuff.

Whats the difference between the HD 598 and the HD 598 SR? The SR are like $150 off in Canuckistan, is there any appreciable difference?

120Hz LCDs do exit, Pavel.

SE and SR are black and have an extra shorter cable. They're otherwise identical to HD598, sound and build.
SR fits a mic.
CS are absolute garbage, closed, hold no relation to HD598, use HD380 drivers with considerable extra niggerbass. CS do sound bad, be careful to avoid them.

CS was a write off from the beginning, but considering the price difference I'll definitely go with the 598 SR.

That is if I can get over the fact that they were $60 cheaper a week ago on Prime day and I missed it...

Which amazon is it?
The next thing above 598 is 579. Above that, the 600 (HD599 is just an overpriced and, going by reviews, possibly worse HD579).

Canadian.

It's $125 off, putting it at $175 vs the 579 with no sale at $270

There's a Head-Fi thread on it with a couple comparisons to other headphones. The only disadvantage to it is the 2.5mm connector on it from what I can tell.

That's the most autistic thing I've seen in this general since I started coming here more than a year ago.

>cad $270
270 Canadian Dollar equals
214.72 US Dollar
O_O
See current HD600 price @ US. Hurts.
I paid >300€ for mine. Was definitely worth it though ^_^

It was $270 for the HD 579, the HD 600 are still around $530 which is miles more that I want to pay right now

>$530
My fucking god.
youtube.com/watch?v=J_CmRvUCd1k&feature=youtu.be

Canada gets fucked with nearly everything except shit that's hard to find in the States for one reason or another.

It was even worse when our dollar was par ages ago and shit was still like 20% more expensive here for no reason except fuck Canada

I've been keeping an eye on those 598's and they literally drop in price by like a dollar every day.

I think someone's testing the market to see where the demand is.

Wanna buy my HD600 for $230 Canuck bucks? They're in good condition. Then again I guess no one wants to trust someone from 4chinz.

Found this at a yard sale today for $10.

Did... did I do good, /hpg/?

Well my shittastic headset finally kicked the bucket after 4 years, so I'm probably just going to bite the bullet in the next few days anyways.

Tempting, but used headphones sound like a good way to get ear aids and
>buying from someone on Sup Forums

Cmon, I have clean ears ;_;

But that's fine, I probably wouldn't either if I were you. You really shouldn't buy em for over 500 CAD though, that's a shit deal.

I appreciate the offer.

I'll survive with the 598s for $175, my old ones were pretty bad, so even that should be a world of difference.

I just can't help but despair at the state of Canuckistani goods prices

I've heard the open ones are better than the closed

>$10
Why not? Toss us some impressions

The 598s are good! There's a reason why I've kept them even though I've gone through headphones that were much more expensive.

I'll probably sell them when I get the HD6XX, though.

>t1
How do you like them?

Verdict is in, I'm going to return my DT990s. They simply aren't worth the price I paid, and I got them on sale.
Beyerdynamic really did disappoint.

My favorite iteration of that idiom is "Can't draw blood from a stone"

They're excellent all around but their one weakness, emphasized and strong treble, can be a rather major one and turns a lot of people off.

If you can get over that aspect, or are able to EQ it down, I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. They have great soundstage, great transients, great detail, great instrument separation and even great bass. Comfortable too.

I've used my hd555 for the last six years and I've always loved them. How do they compare to other headphones in a similar price range?

SR has a different headband, and in-line microphone on the cable.

I ask because I've never used anything else that was +20 bucks and wonder what people with a greater breadth of experience think.

alibaba.com/product-detail/takstar-HI-2050_115356632.html

From here if you'd prefer the actual Takstar one. I don't know if there's a difference, but that's what I'd rather have.

Does anyone here have the audio technica ad2000x?
How do they compare to other headphones in their price range or whatever else you happen to own?

They have excellent technical ability for the price point. As for their signature, it leans toward being balanced and less specialized for certain genres unlike a lot of their counterparts. Best jack of all trades for the price point IMO

How is the audeze? How does it compare to the beyer?

i recently purchased campfire audio's andromeda and just wanted to say there's SO much texture and character in the music i listen to now. i'm now clearly able to recognize the different instruments in their different places. upgraded from atomic floyd's titanium super darts btw. i also have the onkyo dp-x1a DAPs coming in on tuesday and was wondering if i'd be able to hear a difference from plugging them into my iphone/mac? also i think my head hurts from trying to process all the detail in my music now haha

Nice blog, where do I suscribe?

I have the AD1000X which is not very inferior to that performance-wise, apparently.
linustechtips.com/main/topic/296402-a-look-at-the-audio-technica-ad1000x-and-ad2000x/
weibo.com/p/1001603782683401547162?from=page_100505_profile&wvr=6&mod=wenzhangmod

I'm not really enjoying mine nearly as much as I could, because of the lack of bass, and I know it's capable of more bass (I just press the cups harder against my head for a better seal). It just feels "empty", "unfulfilling", and "wrong", simply because of that. I'm actually enjoying my DT1350 way more, because it doesn't have that problem. I think if I attach an annulus of leathery material to the part of the velour pads that makes contact with the head it will do a lot of good.

Looking for closed back headphones mainly for my PC.
Should I go for the DT770 or get the hd598 cs?
The dt770 are more expensive by 50$ but are they worth it? I am already at the limit of my budget with the hd598 at 130$..

Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

As for detail, resolution and overall technical ability, they're more or less equal. Aside from that they're nearly opposites in every way. The T1 is treble-centric -- you hear more treble, and it's higher quality treble. As for the LCD-2, which is dark and bass-centric, again there is more bass; and it's also higher quality.

Using a simple example, I might use the T1s and notice that a song has really good sounding snares and cymbals. Using the LCD-2, I might think that same song has a really good bass line and not even notice the cymbals and snares. They definitely change the perspective of a song.

Aside from that, the LCD-2 also has a smaller soundstage and thicker, rounder sound. The T1 is more open sounding, has faster transients, and is sharper and more crisp. Like I said they're pretty much opposites and complement each other well. Same reason why people get an LCD-2 and an HD800.

Impressions?

Bass is fairly strong. Mids are decent. Highs are borderline-distorted. May as well be a Beats. I guess this is for DJs and fashionfags. I'm going to resell it, I guess.

...what's up with that?

Disregard the semicolon; it was meant to be a comma. I really hate semicolons, using them makes me feel tremendously autistic.

Thanks for the response!

Ohhh, that's why the lcd2 hd800 combo is so popular on headfi!! I always thought they were just rich assholes trying to show off.

yikes who let reddit in here

Check out the Takstar Pro 82, Status Audio CB-1, Brainwavz HM5

No problemo anime friend.

Well there is some rationale but I think they're also rich assholes trying to show off.

I got mine used so I don't count okay!?

The doors have been unlocked for quite a while.

Didn't quite mention it but meanwhile as I am still a new to headphones I prefer to buy a neutral sound signature headphones, I really liked the reviews and such on the hd598cs but people here are bashing them.. what do

Nobody here will ever be honest with you.

A-are you being honest, user?

weeb mids

I snagged a pair of phillips hp9500s for $51 on sale as per your guys' recommendation (also got a vmoda boom on the way). theyre fucking awesome. most comfortable and high quality headphone ive ever owned, although, i have owned mostly shit headphones. thanks dudes

What headphone has the best weeb mids and why is it the HD600?

What is a good range for mids?
Is it good to have a 3db difference between low and high mids?
The lower the better? Can someone please explain to me how this works? I'm fairly new to this stuff

HD600 is the target response. The closer, the better.

I know this is for headphones but I figured this would be the place where I could get an answer.

Bought a SMSL Sap-8 and I'm about to return it because the amazon link had a wrong name for it, it said "SMSL M6" so I bought it. Decided to give it a listen first and it powers my X2's really well (onboard audio was never as loud nor as spacious) but that's it. Is not like I will be bleeding my ears out every day because of the volume.

Today I bought a Creative ZX sound card which, according to its description, can run up yo 600 ohm headphones (I'd like to get some Beyer DT 770s and Senn HD 650 before the year ends).

So my question is (before I return the sap-8), is the ZX good vs a standalone Amp?

so my dear old m50s broke yesterday. The hinge just snapped when i was putting them on. Pic related.

Never repaired anything like this before, what type of glue do you suggest i get for this?