I think I hate this man

Listen, I get it. Free open source software is good and software companies should be more morally conscious, but whenever I listen to Stallman talk about it, i can't help but be annoyed. He is like that guy that used to be in your high school class, and would criticize you because you're wearing a pair of Nikes, or snicker at you because you listened to mainstream music like Green Day, when he only listens to records from bands titled shit like "The Rising Opiate of Cains Soulless Underbelly".

What pisses me off most though, is he acts so self righteousness, just because he can do some stupid nonsense like re-write to the firmware chip of some cheap, innocuous network card in his laptop from 1998. He is like the nerd version of Alex Jones, peddling conspiracies about Intel coming to take your guns.

Stallman overrated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zAviifP7SL4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZpRE3NvBH4g
youtube.com/watch?v=yqeDDvUS0kU
youtube.com/watch?v=jUibaPTXSHk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>whenever I listen to Stallman talk about it, i can't help but be annoyed.
>He is like that guy that used to be in your high school class, and would criticize you because you're wearing a pair of Nikes, or snicker at you because you listened to mainstream music like Green Day
Because he believes software freedom is an important issue that everyone seems to be ignoring for the sake of convenience. 1984 is happening and nobody gives a shit, of course he's going to be harsh.
>he acts so self righteousness, just because he can do some stupid nonsense like re-write to the firmware chip of some cheap, innocuous network card in his laptop from 1998.
You clearly know very little about him. He can do more than that. He has won 30 awards for his work in Computing as well as other areas, he wrote most of GCC, he pioneered the GNU system, copyleft, and the GNU General Public License. I think he's earned the right to have some authority when he talks about computing, considering all the contributions he's made to the way we use computers.

Also, don't take the 'install Gentoo' meme seriously. He never actually said that.

couldn't explain better myself

when do we get rid of this faggot's pic from the sticky.

>He is like the nerd version of Alex Jones, peddling conspiracies about Intel coming to take your guns.
This is woke

He is a very unlikable man, that's for sure. Only when you will read his articles on his personal website - you'll understand how truly authistic he is. That's said, he is great for creating GNU and not letting free software go away. World is better with him than without him.

The thing I can respect about him and his autism is he truly doesn't give a fuck. Like eating skin off his foot in a lecture. Lives how we wants.

These.

free software would be here and most likely better than now.

it's like saying we would sit in dark now if it wasn't for edison.

>listened to mainstream music like Green Day

God, I hope not

If you think that's bad, read the autistic ramblings on his personal website.
Also, his musical tastes are as pretentious as you described in your example, like "Latvian folk music"

If you looked past the memes and actually listened to what he said, you'd see he makes many very important points.

His refusal to compromise his stance is admirable. Get some values yourself, stop selling your soul for minor conveniences.

Don't know. Proprietary software was pretty strong back in pre-GNU days. If not for this loud authist (even in pre-web era) we could lose mainstream free software.

Most jews aren't "they" so to speak.
Just a bunch of sacrificial lambs for the next "muh 6 million".

>eating dead animals

DISGUSTING!

>YOU DON'T AGREE WITH MY AUTISTIC IDEOLOGUE GET OFF MY BOARD REEEE
Are you the same kind of person who tries to kick anyone who doesn't like yoor political ideology off a political discussion?

>projecting

hey Green Day had some good stuff in the 90's

youtube.com/watch?v=zAviifP7SL4

in the 80s
I don't think he could develop anything today

Nice argument.

So what? He still has more knowledge than most of \g\ and more capable of talking about software than any politician. Also, he wrote the best text editor.

Atom?

>best text editor.
the only good think about emacs is that it keeps lisp alive.

I don't think Stallman even knows how to program firmware? I mean Lisp? Seriously? And that he doesn't install his operating systems!

alex jones is right though

>Latvian folk music
>pretentious
At least Latvia is a real country. True patricians listen to Breton folk music:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZpRE3NvBH4g
youtube.com/watch?v=yqeDDvUS0kU

With regards to Stallman's attitudes, the only reason we've heard of him is because he's so aggressively autistic and unlikable about his otherwise commendable beliefs. It's kind of like how I support women's equality but I hate feminists, or how it's okay to be gay but it's not okay to be an SJW. It's not gay people's fault that SJWs are such faggots. Richard Stallman is the Tumblr of free software.

had
tech is moving forward

>His refusal to compromise his stance is admirable. Get some values yourself, stop selling your soul for minor conveniences.
He literally refused "Netflix and chill" because Netflix is proprietary, ffs.
That goes beyond sticking to your guns, it's uber autistic

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

Unusable with really big projects
Is there any other text editor that can be a capable IDE for many purposes and a great outline tool (org) and also can be completely customuzable to your liking? I really don't know ab alternative. Although, Emacs is very old and it's sad that its development is so slow.

That's some downright pajeet attitude right they're.
Respect your fucking elders who build what you use to make apps

His philosophy is very well thought out if you ever talk to him. Any criticism you might have about him being more reasonable he has already considered and has an explanation for that he already wrote about 10 years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=jUibaPTXSHk

>the only reason his name is still in the books
Read a book about Linux. There will probably be a chapter on the history of Linux near the start, and Stallman isn't mentioned at all. Outside of Sup Forums, he is irrelevant.

>1984 is happening and nobody gives a shit
This is due to the bloated and diseased monster that is the federal government, not because people use Windows and Netflix.

>His philosophy is very well thought out if you ever talk to him.
Bullshit.
The basics and logic is sorta ok, but look at when he got phoned in on that podcast/talkshow/whatever it was thingy.
>"So, Mr.Stallman, tell me about how a modern Linux system can..."
>triggered.jpg "Excuse me, it's GNU/Linux!(and keeps correcting them 5 more times when they accidentally slip)"

Hosts ask him how a dev can program FOSS nowadays
>"Well, he shouldn't do that because it's WRONG!"
>"But Mr. Stallman, surely you understand there are circumstances when your client might want closed-sourced"
>"But it's NOT MORAL and IT'S WRONG!"
>"But how can someone do when it's...?"
>"Well, he should find a way to do it open-source, because otherwise it's WRONG!"

Interlace that brain-numbing argument when asked about anything, that it's wrong and not moral, and a programmer should rather starve on the street than program anything that's not open-source, with "respect muh freedoms, shitlord" every half a minute, and he was a walking Sup Forums meme.
It was about a nuanced and philosophical as repeatedly slamming your head against a concrete pole.
I felt like talking to a super-fanatical JW that screeches about how everything he doesn't understand "is not in muh bible, so it's evil and pagan".

He did make a nice short argument about the US gov, though.

>Google monitors you
>Intel monitors you
>Every private company demands your personal information before they provide the services you have already paid for (even if you have paid by means of advertising)
>Captcha makes you work for free for one of the wealthiest companies on Earth
And yet you somehow think the bad guys are muh gubmint. Ebin zozzle, m80.

>Google monitors you
*and sells your data to the federal government which is much more powerful than the company itself
>Intel monitors you
*and sells your data to the federal government which is much more powerful than the company itself
>Every private company demands your personal information before they provide the services you have already paid for (even if you have paid by means of advertising)
Text captchas are fine.

He has a reason for all of it.
He says gnu/Linux not because he wants to take video credit. Linux was named right for Linux Torvalds himself and he has no issue with people calling it Linux because it makes it appear as if he is fully in credit. This ignores the gnu foundation which has multiple developers who developed the gnu utilities out of moral obligation. So each time you say Linux instead of gnu/Linux you are ignoring the contribution for probably the largest and most important part of the operating system.

Yes, and he keeps repeating himself that it's immoral because it's a moral argument.
Let's say it's genetics and you work in curing generic diseases but there is no money in it and there is money in developing genetic diseases. It would be immoral of you then to say it's ok to develop genetic diseases for the money or discuss it advocate for them.
So, if stallman didn't take a Hardline concerning software freedom he would look like a hypocrite

>Name something that RMS has after 1995 besides bitching, crying and moaning about bullshit that does not matter.

Stopped reading there.
Stop posting pajeet.

>He literally refused "Netflix and chill" because Netflix is proprietary, ffs.

god fucking forbid someone boycott something you don't like, only uber autists boycott things!

it would be interesting to see if there is ANY stallman code in any 2017 distro...

>He is like the nerd version of Alex Jones
Actually they are buddies. After Snowden you can't say he wasn't right. He is sometimes looks dodgy and annoying, but this is how to be a modern Diogenes. Ima not a fan of him, but has a very important role to make free sw a strong movement. I don't forget when a compiler cost a fortune and his shit let many learn computing for free.

seconding

>What is PRISM?
Have you been asleep for 20 years or are you retarded?

Are these attempts at justifying such unethical behavior?

ITT: People who can't appreciate a rare virtue of a man standing behind his words no matter what

Windows, Google, Intel and so on collect way more information about you than the government would and they give away your information to the government. 1984 happens due to proprietary systems and not the government. Government has always been shitty, but proprietary systems have given government more ways to oppress

Your sentence structures are horrible, although I can see you admire the man at some level.

Use userscript to replace it with whatever niggercattle you like.

man cat

git blame cat.c | cut -f 2-3 -d" " | sort | uniq -c
3 (Bernhard Voelker
1 (Eric Blake
1 (James Youngman
672 (Jim Meyering
2 (Kevin Lyda
31 (Pádraig Brady
57 (Paul Eggert

I guess they left it there as a cutesy - you know like you pick the tard to be the prom king...

>He says gnu/Linux not because he wants to take video credit. This ignores the gnu foundation which has multiple developers who developed the gnu utilities out of moral obligation.
Yeah, dude, he's just the founder and public face of GNU, whom he coasts off for his speeches and marches and stuff, and the only known member of it among the public.
I'm sure he's doing it purely, so that random dev in Vilnius that contributed to the C compiler 30 years ago will get recognition, and not because he's still butthurt Hurd didn't get completed, and he got overshadowed by some random Finnish student, so he forces a awkward naming convention just to remind everyone he's the daddy behind the idea, and people should notice his ass.

>Yes, and he keeps repeating himself that it's immoral because it's a moral argument.
So is that JW.
So are most people that feel strongly about certain issues on this planet.
Doesn't mean they aren't stupid or poorly made.
And it sure as fuck doesn't mean it's a "well thought" or complex philosophy.

>only uber autists boycott things!
Dude, when some chick proposes watching a movie as an excuse to bone, and you go on a massive rant about the evils of non-free software because her choice of movie platform you will close half-way through triggers your freetard sensibilites, that's not "muh principles", that's autism.

>massive rant
No, i start playing a pirated movie.

daily reminder he literally applies lotion to his bare feet infront of an interviewer and will constantly overtalk him to continue his diatribes as the interviewer tries to move it along

Movie is secondary and completely irrelevant if you've gotten a woman that interested in you.

>It's kind of like how I support women's equality but I hate feminists, or how it's okay to be gay but it's not okay to be an SJW
You're a retard cuck.

Personally I can't work what the deal with Stallman is, is he genuinely mentally ill or actually a very good con artist?

For over 3 decades he has set himself upon vulnerable lonely young male college students and indoctrinated them in to a weird cult where they work for him, for free, and slap his name on these GNU tools which are just clones of pre-existing UNIX tools he could not afford to purchase. This all snowballed and now he has done next to nothing for over a decade but continues to take credit for others free work whilst steering this weird cult of people who have been deluded in to some fantasy world.

It could be a coincidence but he even admits to being of Jewish decent... a Jew... Getting almost 4 decades of free labour he has financially profited from... does this not seem fishy to anyone else?

>Movie is secondary and completely irrelevant if you've gotten a woman that interested in you.
Tell that to Stallman.

almost as if he's planted or paid off, can't say for sure though, he could just be a legit dumbass.

he came to my town for a conference and stayed in my house because he's against hotels, i guess. we played playstation, he made me promise not to tell anyone.

rms would be completely irrelevant if not for Linus saving his ass a bunch of times
And even Linus got pissed at some point over GPLv3
rms is a cool dude that does cool speeches about the FSF and stuff, but he is nowhere near noteworthy as far as his actual skills are concerned
I could name you people on Sup Forums generals that are better software engineers than he is, never mind other areas of the field
People like him, jobs and gates are overrated, especially by today's standards

>Being rich and decadent enough to eschew an entire food source

>Calling others immoral

>Being less talented than lennon

SIMPLY HAVING A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS TIME

How did you put Jobs and Stallman in the same category? As if their motives and intentions are comparable by any stretch of imagination. I also wouldn't agree that standing behind your words is overrated - it's almost nonexistent.

I agree, terrible comparison. One is a genius, and the other is Richard Stallman.

Thanks for confirming it's not worth replying to you.

>Genius
Okay. I'll never get the adulation for business men, who let others do their dirty work for them. But yeah, GENIUS!

that's interesting because one is a jew and poor and the other was an arab and rich

Linux wouldn't even have taken off if it weren't for its licensing.

The thing is, as autistic as rms might be, his entire message about free software is entirely right and is getting more relevant by the month.
Of course you need to compromise and use privative software once in a while for the sake of conveniance, but rms is so dedicated to his cause and to his role of free software mascott that he 'd never allow himself to do it.
Think of him as a moral compass, and everytime you program something, ask yourself if rms would be cool with it.
His expertise is software tho, his political views are misguided at best.

Permissive licenses offer much more freedom than copyleft ones.

we had candles before edison

go jerk of to your 50s era norms fantasy with your fat virgin multiethnic aryan friends faggot

Yeah, so they can put your source code in a proprietary program and not even tell you.

I do this anyway with GPL shitter code
What are they gonna do? look at my source code to see that i stole their shit? lmao
Take a look at how few people actually get caught stealing GPL code (and how little of those actually get taken to court), do you really think that's even a tiny fraction of the real number of cases? GPL doesn't mean shit.

this, thanks for the free as in free beer work freetards

Why did you post a picture of La Petite Ceinture ?

>Think of him as a moral compass, and everytime you program something, ask yourself if rms would be cool with it.

The shoe-eater is Jesus now?

>inb4 tired memes about St. IGNUtius.

mainly because of the crippling RSI he has

>What is professional ethics
Is it ethical to deny the user's right to know what happens when he runs a program? I don't think so. Companies lie and the only way to keep them in check is the users to verify what they run.

Yeah, Stephen Hawking has a bit of a disability too.

for somebody who doesn't want to have a trace, RMS sure does give a lot of info out about his personal tastes and how he does his computing

And what does that have to do with RMS's "i don't even access websites in a browser" puritanism?
Asking if Stallman would consider something cool gives you a super tiny and impractical margin of what is acceptable.

>Linux wouldn't even have taken off if it weren't for its licensing.
Classic case of GNU+historic revisionism.
Linux had a different (although open-source) license at the beginning and it was only *after* it has taken off in the Unix hacker community that Linus was approached to change the license to the GPL.

He likes to do things in his own way, he is free to do that.
The reason he does that is so he doesn't run / download a non free javascript.
I admire his puritanism, even though it may be a daily inconvenience.
We should not dismiss his points based on his personality, rather we should just analyze his arguments.
>Asking if Stallman would consider something cool gives you a super tiny and impractical margin of what is acceptable.
Not really, if something is open and it respects the user's freedom Stallman would be totally cool with what you are developing

>I think i hate this man
>Okay
>exit thread
instead i see theres 49 poster ips
Fuck you autists

The "free software" activist community are some of the most annoying, retarded, and pretentious people on the planet but without them we wouldn't have alternatives to overly expensive corporate software.

For example - Firefox is an example of one of such products of the freetard movement. As annoying as they are and as broken as they make their browser, it's free and open source, thus letting you be able to fork it and do whatever you want with it and fix any mistakes they make or things you don't like about it. Without Stallman virtually nothing would be open source and as such we wouldn't have access to the underlying code of the programs we use. We wouldn't have a choice in whether or not our information is being sent without our permission to a Google or Chinese server to be sold to the highest bidder. Freetards hold an important niche that needs to continue to exist to safeguard the existence of open software, but their condescending "you need a chinese lemote processor and to run this specific non-proprietary OS for me to consider you anything more than a sheeple" mentality and activism really needs to stop. Nobody cares or takes it seriously.

>Not really, if something is open and it respects the user's freedom Stallman would be totally cool with what you are developing
Except he's utterly tinfoil about what respects the user's freedom, so fuck him.
Do it open-source and normally, and stop caring about if it passes Stallman's autistic standards.
Is the license ok?
Then go ahead.

>Except he's utterly tinfoil about what respects the user's freedom
Someone has to be, at least for the time being. There has to be some kind of counterpoint to what we're seeing from the Microsoft camp, for example. Data collection, government involvment, and little to no oversight for any of it. Yeah, RMS is a weird dude, but that doesn't make anything he says incorrect. Or, more importantly, unnecessary.

Until someone else steps up to the plate to say the thing he's saying with a personality you actually care for, he's all you've got.

>Someone has to be, at least for the time being.
That's not what im denying.
I'm saying it's a nice ideal, but it's not something one should use as a yardstick for day-to-day use, since it severely handicaps your PC in certain ways(Linux-libre kernel is useless at times).

It's something one should consider and try to achieve, in the limits of practicality.