There is no such thing as an 'european' identity, but if there was, what would it be based on...

There is no such thing as an 'european' identity, but if there was, what would it be based on? Is there anything everyone across Europe can actually agree on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EdV4S6lMK5Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pls no. Are gonna start another thread about European federalism?

>Is there anything everyone across Europe can actually agree on?
Nope

yes
>Norway, best

Turkey is not European
Being polite
Having good manners
Aesthetics are important
Peaceful life
Education should be available to everyone

At first I figured: "Hating islam and drinking beer" but then I remembered Albania.

i agree

And bosnia and kosovo

The Netherlands is pretty much a mix of Germanic + French + Britbong culture + a bit of our own.

But we have nothing to do with Poles or Czechs.

You should have tried harder.

>There is no such thing as an 'european' identity, but if there was, what would it be based on?
The history. The Roman empire, fall of Rome, HRE, plagues, Thirty Years' War, Napoleon, two world wars, Soviet Union, cold war, etc.
A lot of stuff has happened and it influenced the history of all our nations.

And also our cultures and languages of course. We might have a variety of cultures and languages in Europe today, but they all have the same (Indo-)European root. Only Finns and Basques speak a non-Indo-Euopean language.

This - basically just turn the EU into a norway appreciation club

Serbs are Orthodox Turks so whatever you think wouldn't work, there's a small difference between Albanians, Kosovars, Bosniaks and everything that was under Ottoman rule for centuries

You mean, despite you nato fags bombing our civilians? Yeah, silly us for giving up

Identity has nothing to do with "we have to agree".

Hating gypsies

Your mom is a Turk, you coastal shitskin.

We wuz Rome!

Our hate against gypsies.

We're not in NATO! Don't believe their lies.

this

If anything France is THE nation of Europe since always
>
>
>

That IS hard to argue against.

Agree upon, share, inherited, consider familiar, believe in, whatever.

Indeed. It's not like Marti Oiva Kalevi Ahtisari came to Belgrade and flatout told us that NATO will burn the country to the ground if we do not surrender.

Interestingly enough, like they always do, he earned himself a Nobel Prize in Peace.

Gypsies are scum.

>If anything France is THE nation of Europe since always
No. You are based on a Roman province. Romans took your people as their bitches. Germanics are the conquerers of Rome, therefore the rightful owners of Europe. You can't even claim Karl the Great because he was Germanic too.

It used to be Christendom.

If it makes you feel any better I didn't vote for him in the presidential elections.

>this is what the eternal Huns actually believe

>But we have nothing to do with Czechs
Surprisingly, you do.

Irreverent and tolerant attitude, pragmatism and secularism, love of beer.

Well, Serbs don't really blame you for anything, I don't blame you either. You're good people. We can't tag you as bad because of one bloodthirsty greedy cunt.

He speaks the truth, Jean.

>Germanics are the conquerers of Rome, therefore the rightful owners of Europe
Germanics litteraly made Rome collapse because they were late in term of civilisation, Rome was good for Europe, its fall isn't a good thing.

By the time Rome split and the western half dissolved roman culture had been taken over by no-fun-allowed tryhards.

Passive aggressively hating each other deep down?

Roman culture still remained to a small extent in Italy Spain Portugal and France.

Sucking Roman dicks is not civilization.

>this is what the eternal Huns little bros actually believe
Germanics are akin to Syrians fleeing war from their territories, they didn't conquer shit, they even fought for Rome and were part of the Imperial army during the late Empire.
Rome imploded on itself due to a shit economy and the army getting too big and thus too demanding.

>Europe can actually agree on?
As attested by history, we are quite eager to rally around the "muslims out REEEEE" ideal.

It is. Look at all that is left of roman civilisation, we got aqueducs, bridges, forums, arenas everywhere. Not to mention the pax romana. Romans did improve the quality of life of the people throughout all of their empire.

>There is no such thing as an 'european' identity
u w0t m8.
There are core principles that most europeans agree on that non europeans don't necessarily agree on or have simply adopted.
Stuff like ideas of individual freedom. It originated in europe and it is part of the european identity that others have adopted.

Yeah well, remember you're trying to reason with a swamp kraut.

I understand that Latvia has no culture and has to share with others but the rest of us do. Even Belgium.

>Rome was good for Europe, Rome was good for Europe, its fall isn't a good thing.
Romans marched into foreign lands, raped, robbed and killed people just like they wanted and took them their land as provinces because they thought everyone would be happy to live under Roman rule. Romans are the original fascists.

>some thread about something
>Serb comes in
>STOP BOMBING US NATO

when did it go wrong? is there any hope fo Serbia?

Rome was good for europe up until the point were they fucked their society up to the point that they had to constantly wage war against people so they could tax the living shit out of them in order to pay their soldiers enough money to let the emperor rule as a tyrant.

Also, importing germanics and letting them settle in exchange for military service is as smart as importing muslims so they can pay your pension.

Stipe pls

Litteraly all peoples of Europe were invading each other at that period. Rome was no better, nor worse than other. But still, once they reached a new land, they made it better.
Of course, I'm not denying it declined.

Are you saying you don't believe in individual freedom, human rights, democracy, respect for human life and the rule of law?
All of these are quintessential European values.

you did the exact same thing more than once in history

I imagine getting shit on for two decades and being made into monsters by the Western media took its toll.

>you must engage in petty nationalism and act like europeans have nothing in common, otherwise you have le no culture xD

We are better than everybody else.
We have the highest form of culture.
We have the best languages.
We are actually the most diverse looking people.
We have the best food.
We have contributed the most to human advancement.

I could easily come up with more.

Yes. That we all hate those fuckers in the next town.

I understand that Slovakia has no culture...

Your Roman ancestors were literally Syrian immigrants. Just as Syrians are too weak and lazy to fight for their country today your ancestors were too weak and lazy to fight for Rome and had to hire German mercenaries.

couldn't have said it better myself

Murritard education everyone.

You are making yourself a monster in this thread. You've never been the evil one for other european people. Stop behaving like a bad guy, because you aren't one.

Speak for yourself buddy

Look Polebro, if you look from the beginning, we didn't enter the thread going 'NATO PLS'. At first there was that Finnish lad that mentioned hating Islam and drinking beer as something that all Europeans can get behind, and then we came to the conclusion that there are Albania and Bosnia in Europe, which are dominantly Muslim countries. Then the Finnish lad implied that there wouldn't be any if we did a better job, and that's how we arrived at NATO.

But I agree in general, we should fuck off with all the NATO hate in the threads. But that's hard for us considering the damage they caused, but we'll get better. We never surrender.

and you ancestors came from europe.
asswipe

I have no beef with you people but I would never share a country with you, it's already tiring enough to share it with my own countrymen

We hate muslims.

this.

Well, the albanians have some weird muslim sect that is ok with getting hammered on whine.

"A Bektashi was praying in the mosque. While those around him were praying "May God grant me faith," he muttered "May God grant me plenty of wine." The imam heard him and asked angrily why instead of asking for faith like everyone else, he was asking God for something sinful. The Bektashi replied, "Well, everyone asks for what they don't have."

A Bektashi joke.

British 'tourists'.

Who is "we"? Our politicians obviously do not.

Yes, but Romans inspired us. HRE (first Reich), Kaiserreich (second Reich) and Nazi-Germany (thrid Reich) were just Germanized copies of the Roman empire. Or why do you think they've designed their armies and banners like Roman legions? The Prussian and Germany army had a lot in common with the Roman legions when it comes to discipline and style. Even the modern German Bundeswehr still has similar stuff.

>swamp germans in charge of telling what its civilization

>let's all listen to the Spaniard

>Romans marched into foreign lands, raped, robbed and killed
> because they thought everyone would be happy to live under Roman rule
yeah, who they think they are? trying to bring civilization, doesnt matter barbarians were mudhut dwelling savages its their culture and we must accept it
>
>
>

Basques + Finno-Ugric languages (includes hungarian, finnish, estonian, karelian etc.)

There is a thing as european identity. I don't have much time just off the top of my head:

>believe in universal human rights
>right to privacy is relatively huge compared to other areas of the world
>no discrimination based on gender, sexuallity, political views, race and so on
>many european counties experiences first- hand left or right dictatorships and thus believe strongly in democracy; measures to prevent abuse of power
>parliamentarism

>mostly common law countries

>mostly believe to some extent that protection of consumers, renters, employees and generally weaker parties is necessary to some degree - no absolute freedom of contract.
>similarily markets need some form of control

>no-more-war mentality; generally more consent-oriented. War as a last last last last case option to assert interests

Could come up with more but gotta leave.

>Left-wing values
>European values

>Yes, but the Romans inspired us
Its not our fault! The ghost of rome keeps possesing us ;__;

Besides that, its true, the germanics soaked up some roman culture and continued it, espeacially in the rhineland.
Now, with the HRE having north italy, the roman thing should be kinda covered, holyness is subjective but legit if you get enough priests together who sanctifie it and Empire...
Well it was as big as the Assyrian Empire, which was the first of empires and all the little states had little own cultures which could be empired on+poles, sorbs and tzechs and frisians living among the germans being subjects to the empire.

Well, maybe one more thing.

>Our histories are very intertwined, they can't be seperated, we were often attacked/ruled by the same countries/rulers, were as often allied as we fought each other. Every new political/technical/military spread over europe more or less at once and so on.

Well, sorry to break it to you but Sup Forums values aren't really exactly main stream or socially acceptable.

Leftism is literally the most European thing ever since the french revolution

Christian values, like it or not.

War is bad, let us unite to prevent it

I think we all agree at least on that

>Yay, ethnic cleansing

No.

That's France since 1789. Other countries followed suit rather late, with the former Commie slavshit countries only accepting them since 1990. By your logic European culture is at best 30 years old.

>right to privacy is relatively huge compared to other areas of the world
Compared to SOME other areas in the world. others, like Murika and Japan, value it even more. Hell, Japanese culture in its entirely revolves around the difference between the "outside face" (tatemae) and "inside face" (honne).

>no discrimination based on gender, sexuallity, political views, race and so on
Again, incredibly recent. And the EU treaties have clauses allowing for affirmative action, which is... discrimination based on race, gender and sexuality.

>many european counties experiences first- hand left or right dictatorships and thus believe strongly in democracy
The first true democracies with true universal suffrage arose in the early 20th century. Yeah, nice European culture you have there. American culture literally goes further back than this.

>Parliamentarism
France is a Presidential Republic. I guess it's not European then?

>Mostly common law countries
LITERALLY. ONE. COUNTRY.

>mostly believe to some extent that protection of consumers, renters, employees and generally weaker parties is necessary to some degree
Economic ideas are now cultural ideas? You're pathetic.

>no-more-war mentality; generally more consent-oriented. War as a last last last last case option to assert interests
....Stop posting anytime.

>Could come up with more but gotta leave.
Convenient, you have no time to defend your incredibly shitty ideas. Where are you going this late at night, hanging out with friends? You're on Sup Forums, you don't have friends.

Left back then means something entirely different from left now. The 1789 left wing would be moderate right by today's standards.

k. Since the 60s I guess, but the idea was around longer then that, with some christian and enlightement values playing into it.

>right to privacy is relatively huge
I never thought about this so its not really an identity thing. I dont know however about how all other cultural spheres are different.

>parlamentarianism/democracie
granted, the idea is quiete old, not universally european, but a defining european trait.

>protection of consumers, renters, employees and generally weaker parties is necessary to some degree

Who doesnt (in theory)?

>no-more-war mentality
In west europe, the southeast is different.
Also the french were still quiet militant for a long time along others, just look at the colonial wars up until the 60s.

A lot of the stuff you describe seems to only be fully embedded in europe after the 60s and then extended eastwards after the wall fell.

This however seems also true :/

Well, sorry to break it to you but mindlessly parroting your media isn't exactly intellectually acceptable.

The early Romans would laugh at these values. And the late Romans, well they are comparable to the EU in degeneracy, greed and incompetence. A few great Roman leaders even tried to create a kind of holy book for the empire, to restore the old values (the Aeneid). But at this point the invading tribes were more disciplined and realistic than the average faithless and pampered Roman individual.

You don't think this continent has saw enough deaths already ? The immense majority of them white people's ?

You conservative retards keep paying lip service to Christian values but your values are secular liberalism.

Czechs are westernized slavs

Not really. We were never warmongers.
1938 (Munich) and 1968 (Warsaw Pact invasion) attest to that.

In essence, Europe is more leftist oriented while America is more liberal oriented. This dichotomy is relatively recent though.

>implying we started it
>implying it was ethnic cleansing
>implying it wouldn't do us good in a long run not having a potential jihadist country in Europe

And you cunts aren't really helping either:
>Serbs are kebab removers
We didn't kill them because they were Muslim, we killed them because they wanted to harm us, simple as that. We don't hate Islam because 'muh muslims', we hate them because they've brought us harm and are usually shit people.

>A lot of the stuff you describe seems to only be fully embedded in europe after the 60s and then extended eastwards after the wall fell.
Of course it is. Anything further back than that only reveals how much Europe isn't unified.

That's why the EU insists on destroying local cultures and replacing it with some non-offensive, globalist post-60s bullshit.

Meant to reply to (You)

We don't actively hate Islam but then again we don't actively hate anything other than Serbia. We actively love alcohol though.

t. Kosovar

That lingering sense of superiority we all agree that we have in regards to non-european countries: while every still believes his country to be the center of the world in the sense of culture, we all agree that the other European countries are still better than the rest of the world.

All of Europe should adopt Dutch culture. I think we'll find a middle ground somewhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=EdV4S6lMK5Y

>That lingering sense of superiority we all agree that we have in regards to non-european countries
>We
Only France, Britain, Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands m8. The rest of you faggots are just second stringers running along with "WE WUZ EMPIRES, WE WUZ COLONIZING DA WORLD AND MAKIN' TALL BUILDINGS WITH OUR MINDZ!"

Who the fuck is that?

I think he is saying that our troops spelunking in Mali and back then the middleeast on Americas behalf speak against you.

Besides that, yes the mood is vers pacifist and I like that, I wonder how pacifist the average nonwestener is, war gets fostered by a few radicals driving the rest usually.

A gay gypsie hairdresses who makes pyjamas and sings songs.