/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WQvDbXsWmGw
amazon.com/dp/B00NBRGQIE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NxrDzbJA4VKHC
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jMPvyf
tweakers.net/pricewatch/497741/kingston-kcp421ns8-8.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NaxakxSpMi0
pcpartpicker.com/list/7x7ZTH
pcpartpicker.com/list/27DMtJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/CjGtf8
us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/micro-atx/CMP-351.html
ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/3yTwrH/amd-1700x-build-idea
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/TXJqzM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Does anyone trust Austin Evans builds?
youtube.com/watch?v=WQvDbXsWmGw

No

Is the Asrock pro4 a decent mobo for a decent gaming build at that price range?

Also, I'm also looking for a mobo with durability and retard proof.

Do you have that code? I signed up for the email promo codes but I'm getting nothing

is he /ourguy/?

Idk man why dont you just kiss him then

That's TechDeals.

Should I build a dual X5670 machine for heavy VM usage and KVM gaming? Is this a retarded idea?

It's applied at checkout, just add it to your cart, should be automatic.

tek deels

What games?

thinking of buying this and upgrading to 16 gb. what should I add to to it to become a sweet machine for gaming and beat minimum 1080 at 30 fps?

Dell OptiPlex 780 MT/Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz/ 8GB DDR3 / 1TB HDD/DVD-RW/WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT(Certified Refurbished) amazon.com/dp/B00NBRGQIE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NxrDzbJA4VKHC

Core 2 is getting weaker and weaker now, but I'd say your best shot is to buy a Q9650 off of eBay and then Wait™ for Ethereum to crash and buy a cheap used RX580 off of eBay.

I mostly play muh console ports and simulators (Skylines, Tropico, etc).

nom nom nom user

That cpu is poopy. I would get at least a core 2 quad

I think a mid ranged graphics card added might help like rx 500 series but will give you poopy overall performance

It's probably fine then, Cities:Skylines is pretty CPU heavy but also very well multithreaded. Console ports may be a slight issue. Ironically, the shittier the port is, the better it might work since the consoles have 8 weak cores and you'd have 12 stronger cores.

Would it be dumb to sell my 1060 and buy a 580 to be able to take advantage of freesync?
Would like a 144hz monitor and don't want to pay the premium for gsync.

I was thinking It was about time to upgrade my shitty 5 year old PC. How much would it sell for on some place like eBay? I was thinking £150 ($200)

Which GPU is that specifially?

Hey Sup Forums I got an old dell vostro 200 for free from a friend a while ago and I am wondering if this is a good upgrade for it or if I'm just wasting my money and if I'm better off building a rig from scratch, my list is within the link and my budget is roughly $300 any help would be appreciated.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jMPvyf

Alright, so the total for that was 90, i guess that's not too bad. Now onto the SSD, I can use amazon for that.

No not at all, it's a pretty good idea. Make sure 580s are available before you do though. Also try to get a decent 580, you'll want to OC it for 144hz.
Hope your cpu is up to task. I had a i3 6100/1060 6gb PC and I bought a 144hz monitor(fucking awesome btw never going back) and the next day I ordered a 6600k. CPU becomes very very relevant past 60hz where as just about anything 2500k/8350 or better is okay for 60hz.
Also look into freesync to make sure it's what you really want. I've read about issues where the game has to be in exclusive full screen mode which sucks if you have two monitors. Also make sure the monitor has a decent freesync range so you didn't waste all the effort.
Probably selling my 980ti(matches a stock 1080 in firestrike with it's OC) for a vega for freesync.

You should buy a Core 2 Quad rather than a Core 2 Duo. It'll make it much more usable. Additionally, buy some more ram to up it to 8GB.

The mobo doesn't support 8GB only up to 4GB, and I'm not to sure which Core 2 Quad to pick, the ones that I compared to the E8400 didn't match up according to online benchmarks.

>motherboard only supports up to 4GB
Oof. You're wasting your money if you upgrade the PC.

tweakers.net/pricewatch/497741/kingston-kcp421ns8-8.html
Anybody familiar with kingston's RAM? This seems like a reasonable price for 8gb.

If you want to play games I strongly advise you to just try and come up with a little bit more money and try to get like even just $50 for that Dell.
Then look at used hardware or even a pentium/1050 build if you can find some sales.
That gt1030 is a total waste of money, don't do that.

huh, why didn't speccy say?

its the vx7850 2gbd5-2dhx,
generic unboxing i found for reference: : youtube.com/watch?v=NaxakxSpMi0

also I heard there was an inflation in graphics card prices from miners? How long before that blows over if it hasn't already?

save your money and buy something better later
that thing is ass

Which motherboard will allow me to use the absolute highest frequency RAM with a r7 1700?
I know ryzen scales well with ddr4 frquency but so does my most played game so it's important to me to get the fastest ram I can. I know I can't do 4k+ like with intel but I'm happy with even 3600.
I would just get the 7700k but I really want the 16 threads, I think the Ryzen will stay usable for way longer because of how many threads it has. I bought a 2600k over the 2500k for the same reason and it worked well but my mobo died before the CPU was outdated and I'm going for 120hz now anyway.

Alright, yesterday I said I was gonna pull the trigger on this and you gave me suggestions. I want to buy stuff today because tax free weekend (I think it only applies to the cpu though). Someone said get an x370 mobo, could anyone explain why I would want to pay twice as much? Any other points about this build would be welcome.

pcpartpicker.com/list/7x7ZTH

I'm honestly still unsure about ryzen vs intel, but I don't expect any useful discussion on that here.

should i get a pci-ex1 wireless network card or a mobo with one built in?

I've got a Ryzen 1600 so it should be solid. Was gonna get the XG2401 to go with it which I think has a freesync range of 40-144hz.

im doing a similar build. I was considering an x370 mobo for the extra pci express so I could do SLI and buy a second 1080 in the future. that tomahawk only has crossfire support
also buy some fans

Another question: Does the PC have integrated graphics?
The mining craze should blow over whenever Ethereum crashes, which may or may not ever happen. It's weakening at the moment but it could come back at any time.

The cpu comes with a fan, and the case comes with 1. Is that not enough? More case fans?

When will 1080 Ti go back under 800€ reeeee

b350 is fine for a single card

I would. I'm getting two extra fans. they shouldnt cost you much.

Should I sell my i5 6600K and buy a R5 1600/x or wait™ and see if Covefelake Hexa core is compatible with z170 1151?

ehhh

Just Wait™

If you're desperate to upgrade, grab Ryzen. Intel is just running around with their heads cut off right now

For the love of gentoo can anyone identify this GPU?

Cool, don't see myself getting another card for a while.

Might as well.

its a GeForce 8800

is 5400 rpm good enough for vidya or will i feel like punching the shit out of my pc

Never had issues with kingston ram. The one time I did have issues with ram was when I went crucial. Never again.

Forgot pic related

Surely someone can eye it, MSI

I believe it does have both dedicated and integrated

This is my current PC pcpartpicker.com/list/27DMtJ

I know I'm upgrading my monitor for sure. I'm leaning towards the new Samsung QLED 1440p 144hz 31.5" one but I'm not 100% sure yet.
What upgrades should I look into? Storage is fine for now, I'll throw a nice 128mb cache 4tb HD in it when I run out.
Thinking maybe sell my 6600k for a 7700k and pick up a delid kit too.

Is a non-gaming computer really worth building, or should I go with a prebuilt one?

Just build this yesterday.
feel satisfied with this for now till next year and then look into upgrading it so more.

always cheaper to build it yourself unless you can find a heavily discounted prebuilt, and even then the manufacturer will cut corners on mobo, psu, and cooling

how hard is it to find hard drives at the dump or in the dumpster behind a best buy?

I'm so scared to buy anything. Anyone have any final critiques for me?

what monitor you got?

add an HDD for mass file storage. 1 TB or 2 TB are recommended. You can get a 1TB WD Blue for like $50, or a 2TB Seagate Barracuda for $66
This is also something you can add later on, so there's that.

while it may be highly recommended, I do not like the Fractal Design R5. if you like it, good for you, but the brushed plastic look SCREAMS cheap to me since it screams at you that it's made from cheap plastic

which case you recommend?

>new PC
>everything just werks
>download some shit and update drivers
>playing videogame
>sudden weird lag spike, like 10 seconds
>in game ping doesn't react
>suddenly DC
>Ethernet is now borked
>can't ping modem
>other devices work fine connected to same cord
>try to restart PC
>try to disable and re-enabke adapter
>try to roll back drivers

So basically this board somehow nuked its Ethernet port? I'm out of ideas.

Fucking realtek garbage

I currently have a smallish HDD I would be bringing over. I'm thinking 500gb should tide me over for christmas, when I'll get a new one. I assume they'll be at least slightly cheaper per gb or faster rpm by then, right?

I'm very open to case suggestions. I picked that mainly because it says quiet, but eh. Previous case I had in mind was the phanteks Enthoo, but mesh in front scared me.

just go for one with looks you like and isn't too cheap. generally anything over $45 will be decent to build in.
Two of the most recommended cases are the NZXT S340 and the Phanteks Eclipse P400

Is it worth selling my current R9 390 and upgrading to a 580? I already found a 580 for less than 10 bucks more than I've been offered for my 390, but are the current drivers worth the big memory speed loss?

up to you. performance is the same, but power consumption is better

>tfw next upgrade is gonna have to be CPU, cooling system, mobo, RAM, case, and possibly PSU because I've upgraded myself into a corner

Speaking of which, what full-size towers do you guys like around here? My 980 Ti made me realize how small a mid tower really is.

should I wait for black friday to build what are the typical price savings should I expect on it. assuming I am builing a current pc. $500~

vega

Just bought cpu/gpu/mobo/ssd/ram! Will report back when I build it!

How is this for a non-gaming PC?
Basically for watching hd movies, web browsing, programming, and PCB Design software (kicad, altium)
pcpartpicker.com/list/CjGtf8
Case:
us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/micro-atx/CMP-351.html

I also plan to add an hdd later

>ancient hp prebuilt
>held together with zip ties and scotch tape
>gpu barely staying inside the pci-e slot (plate is damaged, can't screw it in)
>hard drive has been making clicking noises for a couple years
>still werkz

what year will i be able to torrent a graphics card

looks good then

Hey lads I was thinking of building a new PC, I was wondering what your thoughts on this build was. I am looking for opinions and recommendations

ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/3yTwrH/amd-1700x-build-idea

AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor

Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

MSI - X370 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

ADATA - Ultimate SU800 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB SC2 Gaming iCX Video Card

DIYPC - Gamemax-BK ATX Full Tower Case

EVGA - 750W ATX Power Supply

Also keep in mind these are Canadian prices, because we get cucked in the shipping

Use the 1700+wraith cooler as opposed to the 1700X. 1700 hits 1700X speeds 99% of the time anyway. Buy better RAM, Ryzen needs ram.

1700 is a better value, x370 is only worth it if you plan to sli/crossfire which is inherently not worth it, wraith cooler performs the same if not better than the t2, ram frequency is too low, and the psu is garbage.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/TXJqzM

I was thinking of possibly sli or cross fire later, but thanks for the better ram suggestion and yeah I was not sure on the psu

unless you only play a select few AAA games and have alot of money to throw away then sli/crossfire is never worth it. Go for a 1080ti instead.

Your case is pretty weak too, look at cases from decent manufacturers like NZXT, Corsair, Phanteks, etc.

yeah you're probably right, I don't play enough graphically intensive games to justify it

Yeah NZXT does have some nice cases, I was just looking at the DIYPC because it was on sale
Do you think I should go with Mid Tower or Full Tower?

Realistically what is the performance difference I'm likely to get when going from Ryzen 7 up to a Threadripper?

Say I want to run 3 - 4 monitors at a time, playing a game on one, run like two streams/youtube videos, while streaming, and have some video editing and encoding shit going on in the background - would a Ryzen be "sufficient" or should I just go up to the Threadripper and not have to think about it?

how do the older intel 6cores (5820k, 6800k) compare to ryzen?

Wanting to upgrade my 3570k sometime this year to pair up better with my 1080ti for 1440p/144hz vidya on online games at least. I suppose 7700k is unavoidable. I do like running videos on a 2nd monitor, however that probably doesn't warrant a multicore cpu?

Anyone have thoughts on what the best 1080 Ti card is? The primary thing I value is noise levels, both pre and after OCing.

not worth buying an x99 motherboard when b350/x370 boards are much cheaper

T H R E A D R I P P E R

If you really want to do all that shit simultaneously on a regular basis, you'll absolutely see a large benefit from Threadripper.

Threadripper simply because more cores

to follow-up and show i did do some research on my own, my understanding is that the typically recommended options are
-MSI Gaming X
-Asus Strix
-a small number of people plug the Zotac AMP Extreme, but it is met with some vocal resistance
-Random bencnhmarks/charts show Gigabyte Xtreme is in the mix

Any opinions, data, or just anecdotal preference is helpful here. I am aware that noise level sometimes is just luck of the draw with manufacturing and physical properties.

I have the Asus Strix and I love it.
All aftermarket cards perform within the 5% range of each other so really it comes down to aesthetics and price. I got the Asus one cause I am a RGB whore.

Top tier mobo, + looks great

X370 or B350?
Which one should i get?
(I use sound card + 2 Graphics card + WiFi card + M.2 ssd)

X370. You need the extra PCIE lanes.

It doesn't really matter. Only retarded brand whores care about having the latest ANUS STRIX XXX EXTREME GAMING 666. I buy Palit/Gainward cards because they're cheaper than most other options and have excellent, quiet coolers.

again, my main concern is noise level, im aware the performance levels are generally negligible between makers

I can get either a 6850k or a 6700k for around the price of a 1600x. I'll mostly be gaming and web browsing with an absurd number of tabs open, but I intend to keep this PC for a very long time.

So far, I've heard two conflicting opinions:

>The 6700k has faster single-core performance, uses cheaper motherboards, and produces less heat. You're not doing video editing. You'd have to be a fool to get the 6850k!

>The 6850k has more cores and the full monty of HEDT features (more PCIE lanes, quad channel memory, etc). Everything is moving towards 6+ cores (just look at Coffeelake and Ryzen), and games are finally beginning to take advantage of those threads. You don't want to buy a 4c/8t CPU in 2017. You'd have to be a fool to get the 6700k!

Which should I listen to? I feel like both have merit.

Google benchmarks. I am sure some reviewer out there did so.

Ryzen 1600

Ryzen. I'm on Intel, going to wait for Zen 2. I want that 4.7-5GHz.

What is the best ATX case for 50$? (aesthetically)